daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old December 14th, 2008, 05:40 AM   #681
CityPolice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 336
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauzŪ View Post
I insulted an hypothetic (I don't know if I wrote it right) subject... I never wrote your name!

Initially I decided to wrote it because of some people posting a lot of images in the first pages of this thread (by example a user posted about 200+ photos of NY)... I hadn't yet seen the last page of this thread! Then, when I clicked on the "Reply" link, my pc became totally unmanageable, because the page containg the reply form automatically displays also the newest posts, and one of them was YOURS and was full of high-definition photos of (again) NY!

So, don't tell me that my post was directly addressed to you... It had a general meaning!
It would be false not to say that it was addressed to you TOO, It was, but not as directly as you think, because I was going to write it the same and the fact that few posts before mine there was yours it's a pure coincidence.

Moreover... I think that you, before writing that post, had read at least the few 2-3 pages of this thread. So you should have seen at least two people that had posted a lot of photos and the effect that it probably made on your computer. And even if your computer was a high-performance one you should have read many people complaining about posting a lot of photos. So, if you know that this kind of behaviour causes problems to other users, WHY do you acted this way the same? THIS is the key!
I understand but my computer is not high performance so is it the fact that your computer is not on average i dont know but i understand. i didnt veiw the first couple of pages but i will and trust me nothing will happen. Sorry for the hundreds of pictures but i just felt compelled to share them with everyone.
__________________
"Proud to be a New Yorker, Proud to be an American"
CityPolice no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old December 14th, 2008, 05:44 AM   #682
CityPolice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 336
Likes (Received): 7

I was right it loaded fast.
__________________
"Proud to be a New Yorker, Proud to be an American"
CityPolice no está en línea  
Old December 14th, 2008, 07:09 AM   #683
shadyunltd
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Quebec
Posts: 150
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuomiPoika View Post
Youīve made it quite clear that you live in NYC. Youīre one of those city people who donīt set their foot outside their city and therefore think itīs the centre of the universe. Laughable.
I assume that, if you live in London, it's the same for you. Both cities are amazing. Period. Both are different, are great sport, political and financial capitals. One can argue New York's in a different league as it hosts the UN and is not far from Washington, and also that it is home to the 2 largest stock exchanges and some of the most powerful banks in the world (still) and has a rich past/background, with the likes of Rockefeller, JP Morgan and others.

Quote:
You really embarrass your fellow countrymen on these boards with those kinds of comments. Itīs not like the British had any choice but to fight the Germans. Americans have never seen a real war and therefore lack any kind of experience of this. The Atlantic ocean saved you from the German warmachine.
Again, I think that they know what war is. Don't forget that they fought for their country (1770s) and they fought again to keep it still (1860s). This country has seen blood shed within its borders.

Quote:
The US has the largest army in the world (so far) but is neglecting its people, something I would never like to see in Europe.
Neglecting its people according to YOUR STANDARDS. Americans have a different vision of "society" than you do. They may not consider Universal Health Care essential like you (and I) probably do. They can buy legally firearms and carry them around freely, etc. Different culture.

And, yes the US Army is the largest, the most technologically advanced, and also this is the army that saved Europeans' ass during WW2.

Quote:
No you shouldnīt. Iīm a student of history and you only get to learn "American history" over there,so you should really keep your historic theories to yourself.
By the way, I don't know who said that earlier, but, the British did not built America. Not at all. The Independence was in the 1770s, not in the 1930s.

Quote:
Sigh. NYC doesnīt rank higher than London at all. London is the financial capital of the world. It has much more banks than NYC and a larger and cleaner subway network. One could also argue that London is the sports capital of the world, and her music scene is large and diverse.
I donīt want to start a pissing contest, just wanted to point out a few things to you.

Quote:
Who cares what John Lennon thought of NYC. There are hundrets of celebritys living in London and that was the case even before NYC existed.
Celebrities existed before 1624? I did not know that. Anyway, this is just pointless, as a handful of cities are overwhelming London in that aspect (Athenes, Alexandria/Cairo, Roma, Paris, etc.). So, you may as well back off.
shadyunltd no está en línea  
Old December 14th, 2008, 02:03 PM   #684
MauzŪ
Utonto
 
MauzŪ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Milano
Posts: 9,809
Likes (Received): 498

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPolice View Post
I understand but my computer is not high performance so is it the fact that your computer is not on average i dont know but i understand. i didnt veiw the first couple of pages but i will and trust me nothing will happen. Sorry for the hundreds of pictures but i just felt compelled to share them with everyone.
My computer SURELY isn't on average, but the same thing usually happens to an average pc, with such a huge amount of photos... Just take a look to the first pages and you will find out that other people complained about that (and I guess many others had problems, but kept it for theyrselves)... But that's not the point! The important is to comprehend each other's reasons.

The impression people make of you looking at that post is bad, because it really seems that you were conscious of the effect it would had had on other user's computers, but you didn't give it a damn, because you reputed more important to continue worshiping your (understandably) beloved NY.
But if you tell me you acted in good faith, not realizing it would have caused problems, I believe you and I think you will be more careful next time...

Last edited by MauzŪ; December 14th, 2008 at 02:09 PM.
MauzŪ no está en línea  
Old December 14th, 2008, 02:39 PM   #685
Mr Bricks
Registered User
 
Mr Bricks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 6,350
Likes (Received): 891

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyunltd
I assume that, if you live in London, it's the same for you. Both cities are amazing. Period. Both are different, are great sport, political and financial capitals. One can argue New York's in a different league as it hosts the UN and is not far from Washington, and also that it is home to the 2 largest stock exchanges and some of the most powerful banks in the world (still) and has a rich past/background, with the likes of Rockefeller, JP Morgan and others.
Some people donīt know how to quit eh? So I guess Iīll have to explain it to you too. These two cities are both important cities, letīs just leave it at that ok? Because bringing up history will just make NYC look bad.

Btw, on my location it clearly says Helsinki, not London. Unlike the likes of citypolice Iīm actually being objective here i.e. Iīm not defending my own city just for the sake of it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyunltd
Again, I think that they know what war is. Don't forget that they fought for their country (1770s) and they fought again to keep it still (1860s). This country has seen blood shed within its borders.
Oh please. Iīm talking about wars people still remember and talk about. Many countries are still rebuilding their cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyunltd
Neglecting its people according to YOUR STANDARDS. Americans have a different vision of "society" than you do. They may not consider Universal Health Care essential like you (and I) probably do.
Stop kidding yourself. Itīs not like some Americans like to live in a society that offers them nothing. Itīs not about "standards" or opinions. Itīs about the very fact that Americans lack many of the basic right Europeans have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyunltd
They can buy legally firearms and carry them around freely, etc. Different culture.
Different culture In the middle east they kill women who oppose the utterly sick religious laws there. Different culture? I think not. Carrying around weapons and "defending" yourself is what makes the US such a dangerous nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyunltd
And, yes the US Army is the largest, the most technologically advanced, and also this is the army that saved Europeans' ass during WW2.


Donīt talk about things you know nothing about. The red army fought and destroyed the main forces of the Wehrmacht, not the western allies. The Brits and Americans never got into serious battle with the Germans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyunltd
By the way, I don't know who said that earlier, but, the British did not built America. Not at all. The Independence was in the 1770s, not in the 1930s.
The Brits created the foundations upon which the American society is based.




Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyunltd
Celebrities existed before 1624? I did not know that.
Of course you didnīt. Try open a history book once in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyunltd
Anyway, this is just pointless, as a handful of cities are overwhelming London in that aspect (Athenes, Alexandria/Cairo, Roma, Paris, etc.). So, you may as well back off.
Eh`London is far older than Cairo and about the same age as Paris

As for Athens and Rome youīre quite correct, but that doesnīt change te fact that London makes NYC look like it was founded yesterday.
Mr Bricks está en línea ahora  
Old December 14th, 2008, 05:00 PM   #686
cellist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 66
Likes (Received): 0

[




Donīt talk about things you know nothing about. The red army fought and destroyed the main forces of the Wehrmacht, not the western allies. The Brits and Americans never got into serious battle with the Germans.




Exactly. The Bulge,D-Day? Allahaim in Africa? Nothing compares to Stalingrad,Kursk etc.
On other hand if we'd talk about asian front with Japan,it was all yours
cellist no está en línea  
Old December 14th, 2008, 05:10 PM   #687
shadyunltd
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Quebec
Posts: 150
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuomiPoika View Post
Some people donīt know how to quit eh? So I guess Iīll have to explain it to you too. These two cities are both important cities, letīs just leave it at that ok? Because bringing up history will just make NYC look bad.
No. It will not. It is obvious that London has a richer history, but I'm talking about financial history/background, in which case London gets trumped no matter what you say.

When I said Cairo, I wanted to reflect the Egyptian civilisation. We could also talk about Jerusalem/Mesopotamia, and all these places.

Quote:
Btw, on my location it clearly says Helsinki, not London. Unlike the likes of citypolice Iīm actually being objective here i.e. Iīm not defending my own city just for the sake of it.
Same for me. I'm Canadian, and visited both cities and know them quite well.

Quote:
Oh please. Iīm talking about wars people still remember and talk about. Many countries are still rebuilding their cities.
European cities are still being rebuilt? It's been quite awhile, eh?

Quote:
Stop kidding yourself. Itīs not like some Americans like to live in a society that offers them nothing. Itīs not about "standards" or opinions. Itīs about the very fact that Americans lack many of the basic right Europeans have.
What basic right? Vote? Eat? Drink? Live? Freedom of speech? Freedom of thought? The USA isn't a dictatorship, AFAIK. Be more precise in your answer.

Quote:
Different culture In the middle east they kill women who oppose the utterly sick religious laws there. Different culture? I think not. Carrying around weapons and "defending" yourself is what makes the US such a dangerous nation.
I agree a bit with you here. I totally disagree with the firearm policy they got, but at the same time, it is part of their heritage and history (if you knew). It is in their constitution, and you will have to respect that I guess. If the USA is a dangerous nation, then I don't know what China/Russia and some others are. Furthermore, you must live quite close to Moscow. Two words. Good. Luck.



Quote:
Donīt talk about things you know nothing about. The red army fought and destroyed the main forces of the Wehrmacht, not the western allies. The Brits and Americans never got into serious battle with the Germans.
I am not talking about which forces had the toughest time. I was referring to the fact that without the USA, either the Germans would have won the war or the war would have taken far more time. This is undeniable. 2 fronts were a terrible mistake to start with, and without the USA, there would not have been 2 fronts.

Mr. Smart Ass, if you think the USA weren't a good army, go check
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_S._Patton
which is widely regarded as one of the greatest generals of WW2, alongside Rommel and others. I am not saying they were the best. Furthermore, in USSR's case, they were attacked in their own soil and just gave the Germans whatever they have left. Obviously, the harsh climate helped them a lot, but they were nearly KO in 1941.

Also, if Russia outnumbered and beat a weakened Germany (like the Allies did as well), well the Americans contributed to this triumph with their manufacturing power (material power) and their $$$. Don't forget the Marshall Plan as well. Many of the cities destroyed would not have had the same fate without this plan. Although the US's involvement in WW1 is marginal, I agree, you cannot forget its importance and pivotal role in WW2 (in both fronts, European and Asian).

Bottom line: it took a TEAM EFFORT to beat the Germans; it was not a one-man show by either Russia or USA or Britain or France (LOL. They were never there.).

Quote:
The Brits created the foundations upon which the American society is based.
I don't where this all starts, but we can say that the Romans based themselves on the Greeks, and that the French/English based themselves on the Romans, and etc.

So, don't even start. If the Brits created the foundations, why is their political system completely different, then? I agree that some elements remained, but there was a feeling that the USA did not want to be anywhere close to the Brits. No allegiance to the Queen, and everything.

Last edited by shadyunltd; December 14th, 2008 at 05:25 PM.
shadyunltd no está en línea  
Old December 14th, 2008, 06:24 PM   #688
Blackpool88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 720
Likes (Received): 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyunltd View Post
No. It will not. It is obvious that London has a richer history, but I'm talking about financial history/background, in which case London gets trumped no matter what you say.
Doesn't London have much more financial and banking heritage then New York?
Blackpool88 no está en línea  
Old December 14th, 2008, 08:47 PM   #689
Guaporense
Registered User
 
Guaporense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 1,147
Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBrazil View Post
Are you on drugs or something?

Have you ever been to Rio?

You should at least read something about places before saying some shit about them...
I am brasiliam too, sorry if a was too agressive, but it is a fact that Rio the Janeiro is not a very good looking city, and its has a very large proportion of its population with miserable living standards and similar low housing standards.

If you know how a real city does look like (London or New York for example) it can be noticed that only about 20% of the city of Rio de Janeiro is of decent quality. I think that it is absurd to say that Rio de Janeiro even deserves to be compared to Paris or Edinburgh or some other "full 100% decent city".

Rio de Janeiro looks like that 20% of the time (average quality city):

And like that 60% of the time (bad quality cityscape):

And like that 20% of the time (favela = shit)


Also these photos show a little of the "not so good areas" of the city (with are 80% of it):



The vast majority of the photos of Rio de Janeiro doesn't show about 80% of the city. Thay only show the BEST part of Rio, with is quite mediocre, imagine now the rest....

Last edited by Guaporense; December 14th, 2008 at 09:00 PM.
Guaporense no está en línea  
Old December 14th, 2008, 09:16 PM   #690
Mr Bricks
Registered User
 
Mr Bricks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 6,350
Likes (Received): 891

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyunltd
No. It will not. It is obvious that London has a richer history, but I'm talking about financial history/background, in which case London gets trumped no matter what you say.
No it wonīt. London and NYC are pretty equal when it comes to economy although in many cases London is concidered the financial capital of the world because most of the international business takes place in London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyunltd
When I said Cairo, I wanted to reflect the Egyptian civilisation. We could also talk about Jerusalem/Mesopotamia, and all these places.
No matter what you wanted you say, Cairo is far younger than London. Ancient Egypt has nothing to do with Cairo. You are quite correct that there are older cities than London, but then I never said London is the worldīs oldest city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyunltd
European cities are still being rebuilt? It's been quite awhile, eh?
Yes, look at Berlin, Warsaw, Rotterdam. Many British cities (including Lodon) are also now rebuilding places that were detroyed in the war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyunltd
What basic right? Vote? Eat? Drink? Live? Freedom of speech? Freedom of thought? The USA isn't a dictatorship, AFAIK. Be more precise in your answer.
I never said the US is a dictatorship. Iīm saying that the American people are denied of health care and social security which in most rich countries would be concidered basic rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyunltd
I agree a bit with you here. I totally disagree with the firearm policy they got, but at the same time, it is part of their heritage and history (if you knew). It is in their constitution, and you will have to respect that I guess.
You completely contradict yourself. You donīt agree with it but you respect it? Itīs part of their heritage and they should get rid of it. No one (except the army and police force) should be allowed to carry weapons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyunltd
If the USA is a dangerous nation, then I don't know what China/Russia and some others are. Furthermore, you must live quite close to Moscow. Two words. Good. Luck.
I meant in the sense that they carry weapons around in the US. I donīt live close to Moscow at all.



Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyunltd
I am not talking about which forces had the toughest time. I was referring to the fact that without the USA, either the Germans would have won the war or the war would have taken far more time. This is undeniable. 2 fronts were a terrible mistake to start with, and without the USA, there would not have been 2 fronts.
Yeah and without the British and the Russians the war would have been lost too, whatīs your point? The US did not "save Europeīs ass", that is utter bullshit.

In fact the western allies were only able to defeat the Germans when they were heavily outnumbered (North Africa) and running out of supplies (western front). Even with a little bad weather the allied were pushed back.

The eastern front was a completely different story. If you knew anything about the German troop concentrations during the war you would know that they didnīt care much about the western front. Look at the casualties on the eastern front and compare them to the casualties on eastern front. More importantly, stop watching crap like "Saving private Ryan"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyunltd
Mr. Smart Ass, if you think the USA weren't a good army, go check
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_S._Patton
which is widely regarded as one of the greatest generals of WW2, alongside Rommel and others. I am not saying they were the best. Furthermore, in USSR's case, they were attacked in their own soil and just gave the Germans whatever they have left. Obviously, the harsh climate helped them a lot, but they were nearly KO in 1941.
Yep, winners write the history. Patton and Montgomery really looked up to Rommel but they never got as far as he did. The western allied tanks were useless and their strategies not as clever as the German ones. The Brits and Americans simply won because there was little resistance and the German army were running out of everything. Thank god they could handle it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyunltd
Also, if Russia outnumbered and beat a weakened Germany (like the Allies did as well), well the Americans contributed to this triumph with their manufacturing power (material power) and their $$$. Don't forget the Marshall Plan as well. Many of the cities destroyed would not have had the same fate without this plan. Although the US's involvement in WW1 is marginal, I agree, you cannot forget its importance and pivotal role in WW2 (in both fronts, European and Asian).
The Americans did a fine job with the japanese (along with the British, Australians and Indians). On the European front they mostly contributed with money and military material. The Marshall plan was highly beneficial to the US, that is why the whole operation was started in the first place. It did help the rebuilding process though.



Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyunltd
Bottom line: it took a TEAM EFFORT to beat the Germans; it was not a one-man show by either Russia or USA or Britain or France (LOL. They were never there.).
Indeed, but the Russians did most of the fighting. It was you who said something about how the US single handedly defeated the Germans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyunltd
So, don't even start. If the Brits created the foundations, why is their political system completely different, then? I agree that some elements remained, but there was a feeling that the USA did not want to be anywhere close to the Brits. No allegiance to the Queen, and everything.
Completely different? Itīs quite European donīt you think. Why isnīt it Indian or Chinese? Because America was mostly a British colony and they tried to organise it according to how it was done in Europe.

Last edited by Mr Bricks; December 14th, 2008 at 09:22 PM.
Mr Bricks está en línea ahora  
Old December 14th, 2008, 10:06 PM   #691
Guaporense
Registered User
 
Guaporense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 1,147
Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuomiPoika View Post

I never said the US is a dictatorship. Iīm saying that the American people are denied of health care and social security which in most rich countries would be concidered basic rights.
1- This free health care stuff sucks. You should have the liberty to not pay for your health care. In the decrepit European countries you do not have the liberty to refuse to pay for you health care if you wan't to spend the money on other things. Also, the proportion of the population with health insurance of the US has better health care than any country in Europe.

2- Rights should not be positive, they always should be negative rights. In the sense that rights are about the right of each individual to not serve another individual. People should have the freedom to refuse to help people who doesn't have the money to pay for their medical care. Because any individual should be allowed to live the way he likes to live, and the free man doesn't have to be responsible for the incompetence of another individual when this other individual doesn't have the ability to make the amount of money he needs to pay for his health care.

Quote:

Yeah and without the British and the Russians the war would have been lost too, whatīs your point? The US did not "save Europeīs ass", that is utter bullshit.

In fact the western allies were only able to defeat the Germans when they were heavily outnumbered (North Africa) and running out of supplies (western front). Even with a little bad weather the allied were pushed back.

The eastern front was a completely different story. If you knew anything about the German troop concentrations during the war you would know that they didnīt care much about the western front. Look at the casualties on the eastern front and compare them to the casualties on eastern front. More importantly, stop watching crap like "Saving private Ryan"



Yep, winners write the history. Patton and Montgomery really looked up to Rommel but they never got as far as he did. The western allied tanks were useless and their strategies not as clever as the German ones. The Brits and Americans simply won because there was little resistance and the German army were running out of everything. Thank god they could handle it.



The Americans did a fine job with the japanese (along with the British, Australians and Indians). On the European front they mostly contributed with money and military material. The Marshall plan was highly beneficial to the US, that is why the whole operation was started in the first place. It did help the rebuilding process though.
1- I disagree about the part that the war would be lost without the brits and the soviets. The US had about HALF of the world industrial capacity in 1940, the most advanced technology and fully mobilized the US could defeat even if the entire rest of the world combined forces against them.

2- I agree that the battle on the western front was in fact easier than the eastern from, however you should notice that the german industrial centers were bombarded by american bombers. Hence the germans made less tanks and the russians were almost defeated even with the help of 14 billion dollars of american supplies (and that was about 50% of the URSS gpd in 1944).
Guaporense no está en línea  
Old December 14th, 2008, 11:38 PM   #692
shadyunltd
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Quebec
Posts: 150
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuomiPoika View Post
No it wonīt. London and NYC are pretty equal when it comes to economy although in many cases London is concidered the financial capital of the world because most of the international business takes place in London.



No matter what you wanted you say, Cairo is far younger than London. Ancient Egypt has nothing to do with Cairo. You are quite correct that there are older cities than London, but then I never said London is the worldīs oldest city.



Yes, look at Berlin, Warsaw, Rotterdam. Many British cities (including Lodon) are also now rebuilding places that were detroyed in the war.



I never said the US is a dictatorship. Iīm saying that the American people are denied of health care and social security which in most rich countries would be concidered basic rights.



You completely contradict yourself. You donīt agree with it but you respect it? Itīs part of their heritage and they should get rid of it. No one (except the army and police force) should be allowed to carry weapons.



I meant in the sense that they carry weapons around in the US. I donīt live close to Moscow at all.





Yeah and without the British and the Russians the war would have been lost too, whatīs your point? The US did not "save Europeīs ass", that is utter bullshit.

In fact the western allies were only able to defeat the Germans when they were heavily outnumbered (North Africa) and running out of supplies (western front). Even with a little bad weather the allied were pushed back.

The eastern front was a completely different story. If you knew anything about the German troop concentrations during the war you would know that they didnīt care much about the western front. Look at the casualties on the eastern front and compare them to the casualties on eastern front. More importantly, stop watching crap like "Saving private Ryan"



Yep, winners write the history. Patton and Montgomery really looked up to Rommel but they never got as far as he did. The western allied tanks were useless and their strategies not as clever as the German ones. The Brits and Americans simply won because there was little resistance and the German army were running out of everything. Thank god they could handle it.



The Americans did a fine job with the japanese (along with the British, Australians and Indians). On the European front they mostly contributed with money and military material. The Marshall plan was highly beneficial to the US, that is why the whole operation was started in the first place. It did help the rebuilding process though.





Indeed, but the Russians did most of the fighting. It was you who said something about how the US single handedly defeated the Germans.



Completely different? Itīs quite European donīt you think. Why isnīt it Indian or Chinese? Because America was mostly a British colony and they tried to organise it according to how it was done in Europe.
After this post, I'm going to stop arguing with you. It's pointless:

1 - The US Air Force was the one doing most of the damage to Germany (factories, power plants, etc.).

2 - Without material and financial resources, you cannot fight. Everybody contributed to this Allied win. The Americans contributed as much as the Britons and the Russians, with money, material, their army, their knowledge, their weapons (the Sherman tank was not the best, but they built so many of them that they became powerful as a whole, same for the planes), and also don't forget the Manhattan Project. If the Axis would have developed the Nuclear Bomb before the USA, then you could have pretty much kissed goodbye to this war. You cannot undermine what the USA did in this war. The Russians could not have won this by themselves (they had Mother Nature on their side and they outnumbered the Germans, but that's it). Neither the Americans and the Britons.

3 -I am talking about civilizations. True, the USA is based on what was done in Europe. However, don't forget that the Republican system that the USA has was adopted LATER by many European countries (so the opposite trend). The oldest political party in the world (or one of... it's arguable), is the Democratic Party of the USA.

4 - Americans have social security and have welfare. Health care is another issue, but you can't judge an entire country based on that. The GDP/capita in the USA is far more higher than for all the European countries (EU). I know it's not a good indication of overall wealth, but still, it shows that their system can be quite good... for those who work hard.

5 - It is true that London is a gateway to International Business, but there's so much more than this. This is why both cities are considered financial capitals. Let's stop at that.

6 - Besides, if you live in Finland, then you must be pretty close to Russia, ... thus to Moscow as well. At least, closer than me.

7 - About your so-called contradictory statement... I said that I RESPECT their choice, although if it were for me, I would not allow this in my country, but you have to accept their choice, especially if you want to live there. For instance, I may oppose some of Islam's customs, but if I live in an Islamic country, I will RESPECT these customs and try to live with them.
shadyunltd no está en línea  
Old December 14th, 2008, 11:52 PM   #693
gonzo
Sent from down-below. :P
 
gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa, Alabama, China
Posts: 1,201
Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaporense View Post
1- This free health care stuff sucks. You should have the liberty to not pay for your health care. In the decrepit European countries you do not have the liberty to refuse to pay for you health care if you wan't to spend the money on other things. Also, the proportion of the population with health insurance of the US has better health care than any country in Europe.

2- Rights should not be positive, they always should be negative rights. In the sense that rights are about the right of each individual to not serve another individual. People should have the freedom to refuse to help people who doesn't have the money to pay for their medical care. Because any individual should be allowed to live the way he likes to live, and the free man doesn't have to be responsible for the incompetence of another individual when this other individual doesn't have the ability to make the amount of money he needs to pay for his health care.
People aren't born on an even playing field. Many would have no chance to be middle class if it weren't for government, let alone have an investor/owner income.

John McCain once said in his campaign that he's not about "spreading the wealth" but rather "spreading opportunity". Opportunity ain't cheap though.

Anyway, I believe in democracy before any specific ideology. Let the people decide and live with their decision.

...oh yeah, most beautiful cities.
__________________
^ What he said.
gonzo no está en línea  
Old December 15th, 2008, 12:17 AM   #694
cellist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 66
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyunltd View Post
After this post, I'm going to stop arguing with you. It's pointless:

1 - The US Air Force was the one doing most of the damage to Germany (factories, power plants, etc.).

2 - Without material and financial resources, you cannot fight. Everybody contributed to this Allied win. The Americans contributed as much as the Britons and the Russians, with money, material, their army, their knowledge, their weapons (the Sherman tank was not the best, but they built so many of them that they became powerful as a whole, same for the planes), and also don't forget the Manhattan Project. If the Axis would have developed the Nuclear Bomb before the USA, then you could have pretty much kissed goodbye to this war. You cannot undermine what the USA did in this war. The Russians could not have won this by themselves (they had Mother Nature on their side and they outnumbered the Germans, but that's it). Neither the Americans and the Britons.

3 -I am talking about civilizations. True, the USA is based on what was done in Europe. However, don't forget that the Republican system that the USA has was adopted LATER by many European countries (so the opposite trend). The oldest political party in the world (or one of... it's arguable), is the Democratic Party of the USA.

4 - Americans have social security and have welfare. Health care is another issue, but you can't judge an entire country based on that. The GDP/capita in the USA is far more higher than for all the European countries (EU). I know it's not a good indication of overall wealth, but still, it shows that their system can be quite good... for those who work hard.

5 - It is true that London is a gateway to International Business, but there's so much more than this. This is why both cities are considered financial capitals. Let's stop at that.

6 - Besides, if you live in Finland, then you must be pretty close to Russia, ... thus to Moscow as well. At least, closer than me.

7 - About your so-called contradictory statement... I said that I RESPECT their choice, although if it were for me, I would not allow this in my country, but you have to accept their choice, especially if you want to live there. For instance, I may oppose some of Islam's customs, but if I live in an Islamic country, I will RESPECT these customs and try to live with them.
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/ec...nal-per-capita

http://www.indexmundi.com/g/r.aspx?c=mr&v=67

Far more higher?....
cellist no está en línea  
Old December 15th, 2008, 12:40 AM   #695
Mr Bricks
Registered User
 
Mr Bricks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 6,350
Likes (Received): 891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaporense View Post
1- This free health care stuff sucks. You should have the liberty to not pay for your health care. In the decrepit European countries you do not have the liberty to refuse to pay for you health care if you wan't to spend the money on other things. Also, the proportion of the population with health insurance of the US has better health care than any country in Europe.


The majority of Americans are far worse off than most Europeans. Who cares if some rich people can get the best. Of course they can, no matter what country they live in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaporense View Post
1- I disagree about the part that the war would be lost without the brits and the soviets.
Who cares? Youīre wrong. The US could never have bombed anything without using Britain as a base. Not to mention that the RAF contributed massively to the war effort.

Second, without the Russians the Americans would have had to fought the whole German army in all its power. As we all know both the Americans and the Brits needed to be superior in all ways before they even had a chance of winning.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaporense View Post
The US had about HALF of the world industrial capacity in 1940, the most advanced technology and fully mobilized the US could defeat even if the entire rest of the world combined forces against them.
Er..no. Had the British turned on them the US would have lost the war. As for technology, the Germans were ahead of the Americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaporense View Post
I agree that the battle on the western front was in fact easier than the eastern from, however you should notice that the german industrial centers were bombarded by american bombers. Hence the germans made less tanks and the russians were almost defeated even with the help of 14 billion dollars of american supplies (and that was about 50% of the URSS gpd in 1944).
If you think sherman tanks made it possible for the Russians to beat the Germans youīre dead wrong. Compared to the T-34 they were mere toys, nothing more. The Russians got loads of materials and equipment from the the US which of course helped them a lot. No one knows what might had happened without it, but the situation wasnīt in favour for the Germans

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyunltd
The US Air Force was the one doing most of the damage to Germany (factories, power plants, etc.).
Along with the RAF.


Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyunltd
Americans have social security and have welfare. Health care is another issue, but you can't judge an entire country based on that. The GDP/capita in the USA is far more higher than for all the European countries (EU). I know it's not a good indication of overall wealth, but still, it shows that their system can be quite good... for those who work hard.
Look, compred to Europe the Americans healt care is poor. We pay more tax and get better health care, social security, public stransport etc. Thatīs how it works.

As for GDP/capita, many European countries outrank the US. But thatīs not the point. The point is that you canīt measure the standard of living by GDP/capita.

Anyway, London and NYC are equally important, all allied nation contributed to the war. Letīs leave it at that ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyunltd
About your so-called contradictory statement... I said that I RESPECT their choice, although if it were for me, I would not allow this in my country, but you have to accept their choice, especially if you want to live there. For instance, I may oppose some of Islam's customs, but if I live in an Islamic country, I will RESPECT these customs and try to live with them.
That is a contradictory statement. If youīre against something you canīt respect it. Unless youīre lying to yourself. If I ever visit Saudi Arabia I wonīt give a shit about their laws. Their cruel and un-humane, no one should respect them.
Mr Bricks está en línea ahora  
Old December 15th, 2008, 12:56 AM   #696
gonzo
Sent from down-below. :P
 
gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa, Alabama, China
Posts: 1,201
Likes (Received): 6

^I had a feeling your disdain for the US went beyond architecture.
__________________
^ What he said.
gonzo no está en línea  
Old December 15th, 2008, 03:07 AM   #697
MDguy
Registered User
 
MDguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 3,671

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
^I had a feeling your disdain for the US went beyond architecture.
ditto
MDguy no está en línea  
Old December 15th, 2008, 03:55 AM   #698
lunarCarpet
Registered User
 
lunarCarpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 225
Likes (Received): 2

Stop this Fuc*&ng nonsense. This is supposed to be a thread of the 3 most beautiful cities, not some "oh America sucks" discussion board. If you want to argue about the differences between our policies, social issues, who was more important in WWII, etc, then go to a different thread. Let's keep this one for what it was made.... Now, even as I think every city has it's own kind of beauty, I would say my favorite ones are:
(top 3)
1. Istanbul.
2. Paris.
3. San Francisco.
(worth mentioning)
4. Chicago.
5. Buenos Aires.
6. London.
7. Sydney.
8. New York.
9. Moscow.
10. San Juan.
lunarCarpet no está en línea  
Old December 15th, 2008, 06:54 AM   #699
shadyunltd
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Quebec
Posts: 150
Likes (Received): 7

Before bullshitting me, read better.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2004rank.html

"than for ALL the EU countries". Not one every single country, I said European Union as an entity...

About Suomi...

1 - Americans get better health care than Europeans, they just pay for it. That's it. A lot of employers do provide health care insurance to their employees, covering most of the fees. I saw a ranking about "citizens' satisfaction rates" regarding health care, and the USA was at the top. I live in Canada where there is UHC, and the level of satisfaction is not that high due to the enormous waiting lists and old equipment, both of which are close to being nonexistent in the USA.

A lot of Canadians actually go to the USA to get treated because the equipment is just not available here or the waiting list is too big.

2 - The Germans were ahead in some fields. They were ahead of every country, even Britain. However, the US made it up by having - by far - the largest industrial potential in the world.

The RAF did great defending their country but most of the OFFENSIVE was made by the USAF. Don't get me wrong there. You can say what you want, nobody is undermining what the Russians did (they did half the work, but they did not invade North Africa, Italy and Normandy with some clever ruse), but you seem pretty hell bent on proving that the USA had nothing to do with the Allies winning the War.

3 - By the way. There is public transportation in the USA. The one thing not helping its growth is the **** sprawl (which I hate). New York has one of the most extensive subway in the world (in terms of system length, I think they're second behind London by some 30 km and the only 24/7 subway system in the world).

4 - No, my statement is not contradictory. A lot of people in the US are against firearms but still accept the fact that it is in the CONSTITUTION.
shadyunltd no está en línea  
Old December 15th, 2008, 07:32 AM   #700
CrazyCanuck
MOD SQUAD
 
CrazyCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,719
Likes (Received): 28

Knock it off! or this thread will be shut down.
CrazyCanuck no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu