daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old December 19th, 2008, 03:14 AM   #721
Bahnsteig4

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
maybe inferior complex wasn't the word i was looking for
You bet it wasn't.

I admit the DET-HEL comparison was kinda awkward - I apologize.

Austrian Forum - Support our Skybar!

Yes, for ****'s sake, all pictures I post were TAKEN BY ME

Last edited by Bahnsteig4; December 19th, 2008 at 03:24 AM.
Bahnsteig4 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old December 19th, 2008, 01:22 PM   #722
BillyBTall

Likes (Received): 0

and how all this pertains to The 3 Most BEAUTIFUL Cities" is....?
Old December 19th, 2008, 11:32 PM   #723
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6249

Let me introduce you...

Constantine, Algeria, built on a mountaintop, with a ravine bisecting the city

www.yannarthusbertrand.org,

www.imageenvision.com and http://lexicorient.com,

www.wikimedia.org, www.africatravelling.net

www.africatravelling.net, http://wikitravel.org

http://upload.wikimedia.org

www.twip.org

www.old-picture.com

www.old-picture.com
the spliff fairy no está en línea  
Old December 19th, 2008, 11:32 PM   #724
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

the worlds most spectacular sited city, Wadi Duzan.

This has to be seen to be believed:

also in Yemen, Shibam and its 600 year old skyscrapers

Old December 19th, 2008, 11:48 PM   #725
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Male, Maldives, the worlds flattest country, hundreds of miles from the mainland, highest point 8 feet above sea level.

When the 2007 tsunami struck the island was so low lying and flat the water swept directly through the streets and straight out the other side (thus lessening any damage). For a while the entire country and its 500,000 inhabitants was submerged and became part of the sea.

http://upload.wikimedia.org

www.billseye.ca

http://cache.virtualtourist.com

ttp://shaheeilyas.com

www.travelindiapictures.ne
Old December 19th, 2008, 11:58 PM   #726
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Likes (Received): 110

Wooow! This was a good choice!
Old December 20th, 2008, 12:00 AM   #727
LS Kim
Non Dvcor Dvco

Likes (Received): 409

BENTO GONÇALVES

CAXIAS DO SUL

BLUMENAU

Last edited by LS Kim; December 20th, 2008 at 12:07 AM.
LS Kim no está en línea  
Old December 20th, 2008, 12:11 AM   #728
Guaporense

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuomiPoika View Post
I don´t really know what you´re getting at here but;

1) We do have private medical care here. Rich people always get their way.

2) The rest of the population can enjoy a good health care system. A system that doesn´t exist in the US.

3) This myth about America being the land of oppurtunity is quite dated don´t you think. America must have been a dream for 19th century Europeans escaping the poor reality they had to face everyday in Europe.But we living in the 21th century. There are loads of poor people in the US. Many people work three different jobs and still struggle to keep their house.
1- I am a libertarian and this discussion is ideological. Since this isn't the place to discuss ideology I can point to you some sites for you to expand your perception of the various existing ideological strands. And I am an economist, and modern economic science says that the market is generally efficient in providing goods and services do people while the government doesn't have the incentives and the information to provide services that can macht the market in cost and quality.

Quote:
As has already been pointed out, 60% of Americans have health insurance i.e. they can afford to get sick. Not very ideal if you ask me.
80% have
10% have money to pay directly
10% choose to not work enough to get good medicine

Quote:
And? Why wouldn´t I support the welfare state? The more equal people are, the better.
It is ideological preference. I think that people that work hard should deserve to be wealthier than people that don't work.

Quote:
The British losses range between 300 000 - 380 000. The US army lost little over 400 000 soldiers. We have to remember though, that the US had a larger poulation than Britain so if we´re talking about percentage here, the British army suffered bigger losses.

Anyway, compared to the 10 million Russians or over 3.5 million Germans sodiers who were killed during the war, the western allies were very lucky.
The russians lost 10 million because they didn't have the tatics, strategy, logistics and equipment to fight effectively.

Quote:
Yep, the allied pretty much won thanks to their economic resources and the Russian army. Not because they were better soldiers.

If both the allies and the axies would have produced the same amount of
war material the allies could not have won. Everytime they faced the Germans they had to be superior, because the Germans army was better in almost every way.
The germans didn't have good strategy see this documentary: "How Hitler Lost the War"

Quote:
You don´t seem to understand anything. The east front was in a whole different league than the western one. The western allied never fought the Germans army at the peak of its strength, and quite frankly I´m very relieved they didn´t.

What? The Russians had way better tanks and weapons than the western allies.
The T-34 was better. The weapons weren't.

Any WW2 historian know that the US had the best logistics and equipment of the allieds. The URSS had only 200 million people that Stalin could kill before the germans reached Moscow.
Guaporense no está en línea  
Old December 20th, 2008, 01:03 AM   #729
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

The problem is that many hard working people have less than many people who don't work so hard. Especially in the US you have many people who are too poor to afford health insurance. 60% have, of which only half have a GOOD insurance, the other half still has poor treatment.
40% have no insurance at all! Many people have 2 or 3 jobs and cannot afford health care!!! I see you have no meaning of what you are writing!!! And I think solidarity is the only way to show that humans are intersted in other humans' well-being. There is nothing wrong with it!
I think you are not even convinced of what you write! I think it is envy that your country has no system that prevents poverty! So stop stating the USA even with wrong figures (80% ) and speak about your own country!
Old December 20th, 2008, 01:07 AM   #730
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimura View Post
BENTO GONÇALVES

CAXIAS DO SUL

BLUMENAU

Linfen is nice also:

Old December 20th, 2008, 06:42 AM   #731
gonzo
Sent from down-below. :P

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaporense View Post
It is ideological preference. I think that people that work hard should deserve to be wealthier than people that don't work.
I don't know how we can talk about what people 'deserve' when you don't believe in equality of opportunity...or at least striving for it.
Old December 20th, 2008, 01:24 PM   #732
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 893

Quote:
1- I am a libertarian and this discussion is ideological. Since this isn't the place to discuss ideology I can point to you some sites for you to expand your perception of the various existing ideological strands. And I am an economist, and modern economic science says that the market is generally efficient in providing goods and services do people while the government doesn't have the incentives and the information to provide services that can macht the market in cost and quality.
**** ideologies, I´m talking what´s best for the people here. I don´t follow any ideologies, hence I´m not as narrow minded as you. Modern "economic science" only seeks to justify the repulsive greed of capitalists.

We don´t need "economic science" to tell us something everybody knows is crap. If you are seriously saying that you get just as good health care and social security in the US as in Europe you are dead wrong.

Libertarianism = Sefishness and greed.

Quote:
80% have
10% have money to pay directly
10% choose to not work enough to get good medicine

Yeah, a lot of people choose not to work enough to be able to lead a happy life.

Quote:
What does "work hard" mean? In today´s society people who do nothing get payed the most. While the bosses (and company management) of multinational companies do nothing and become millionaires, their employees work on normal salaries and at the same time keep the whole business running.

In addition to this rich people are often able to manipulate the tax system so that they actually pay less tax than the average middle-class person. Talk about parasites.

Quote:
The russians lost 10 million because they didn't have the tatics, strategy, logistics and equipment to fight effectively.
Correct. This might have something to do with the fact that Stalin had all his best generals executed before the war. Furthermore, the Russians were eager to reach Berlin before the western allies. In many cases the troops advanced so fast that they were killed by friendly artillery fire.

However, the brutal force and size of the red army made it the most effective by the end of the war. The red army could easily have conquered Western Europe from the Brits and Americans.

The Russians lost 10 million because they fought the largest German forces. The Germans and the Russians were involved in huge battles, involving countless tanks and guns while the western allies met hardly any resistance.
Quote:
The germans didn't have good strategy see this documentary: "How Hitler Lost the War"
The German generals were the most cunning in the war. Hitler on the other hand, ****ed it all up. It has often been said that Hitler was the reason Germany lost the war.

Quote:
The T-34 was better. The weapons weren't.
But the difference was huge. It took ten shermans to defeat one Panther/Tiger tank.

Quote:
Any WW2 historian know that the US had the best logistics and equipment of the allieds. The URSS had only 200 million people that Stalin could kill before the germans reached Moscow.
First of all, maybe an economist shouldn´t try to tell a historian how to do his job.

Second, the US did not have the best equipment and logistics. You are confusing the US army with the Wehrmacht.

Last edited by Mr Bricks; December 21st, 2008 at 08:57 PM.
Mr Bricks no está en línea  
Old December 21st, 2008, 04:59 PM   #733
Capital78

Likes (Received): 3

1. Ljubljana
2. Rome
3. Lisbon
Capital78 no está en línea  
Old December 21st, 2008, 09:56 PM   #734
PaulFCB
BANNED

Likes (Received): 262

Barcelona, Paris, London.
PaulFCB no está en línea  
Old December 26th, 2008, 02:27 PM   #735
seattle92

Likes (Received): 2853

It has to be Lisbon

Must admit i'm surprise with the amount of times that Lisbon was mentioned in the thread... too little.

Maybe it's because many of you are from America and Asia and Lisbon is not that popular outside Europe.
Even so it’s strange for me that many people put London and Madrid in this list. Those two are incredible cities, great places to live and work, but I don’t think beauty has anything to do with those cities.

So, what is a beautiful city? In my opinion:
-It’s has to have a great arquitecture
-It has to have great monuments
-It has to have beautiful surroundings

Another important point for me is that it shouldn’t be all the same. I mean, Brugges, Florence and Segovia or Toledo, or other hundreds of European cities, are almost perfect medieval cities. But they’re not more than that. They look like museums. A great city must have it all.

There’s where Lisbon comes

Lisbon existed before the romans got arrived (more than 2000 years ago), It's still possible to find structures from that time.
Them the arabes came and made great buildings (like the castle) and areas like Alfama (the hearth of the ancient city).
Latter was the time of the discoveries that made Lisbon one of the richest cities in the world and the center of the commerce (for the first time in history, a global commerce). Great palaces and churches are from that time (Jeronimos and Torre de Belem are the best examples).
Than the earthquake that destroyed a lot of the medieval city in 1775. But it was rebuilt in a more gigantic and modern way, in a Paris style (Baixa and Rossio)
One can also find a bit of all arquitecture styles of the XX century, in areas outside of the historical center.
Then the modern times, Parque das Nações is a great example of the new times, and what it means to build cities in the XXI century (last photos)

For those who don’t know it, here’s a preview:

Hope you've liked it

Last edited by seattle92; February 12th, 2009 at 06:30 PM.
seattle92 no está en línea  
Old December 26th, 2008, 02:32 PM   #736
Federicoft

Likes (Received): 4346

I second that one.
Lisbon is definitely in my personal top3 or 5 cities.
Federicoft no está en línea  
Old January 4th, 2009, 11:11 PM   #737
nukey
Somnium Quinti

Likes (Received): 7

For me, Rome, London and St Petersburg
Old January 5th, 2009, 04:03 PM   #738
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

Likes (Received): 7547

TOP 3 is very hard to define, but maybe:

1) Paris
2) Istanbul
3) Rome
Old January 5th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #739
Mad2012

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle92 View Post
Must admit i'm surprise with the amount of times that Lisbon was mentioned in the thread... too little.

Maybe it's because many of you are from America and Asia and Lisbon is not that popular outside Europe.
Even so it’s strange for me that many people put London and Madrid in this list. Those two are incredible cities, great places to live and work, but I don’t think beauty has anything to do with those cities.

So, what is a beautiful city? In my opinion:
-It’s has to have a great arquitecture
-It has to have great monuments
-It has to have beautiful surroundings

Another important point for me is that it shouldn’t be all the same. I mean, Brugges, Florence and Segovia or Toledo, or other hundreds of European cities, are almost perfect medieval cities. But they’re not more than that. They look like museums. A great city must have it all.

There’s where Lisbon comes

Lisbon existed before the romans got arrived (more than 2000 years ago), It's still possible to find structures from that time.
Them the arabes came and made great buildings (like the castle) and areas like Alfama (the hearth of the ancient city).
Latter was the time of the discoveries that made Lisbon one of the richest cities in the world and the center of the commerce (for the first time in history, a global commerce). Great palaces and churches are from that time (Jeronimos and Torre de Belem are the best examples).
Than the earthquake that destroyed a lot of the medieval city in 1775. But it was rebuilt in a more gigantic and modern way, in a Paris style (Baixa and Rossio)
One can also find a bit of all arquitecture styles of the XX century, in areas outside of the historical center.
Then the modern times, Parque das Nações is a great example of the new times, and what it means to build cities in the XXI century (last photos)

For those who don’t know it, here’s a preview:

Hope you've liked it
Ok, it's your opinion, but I have been in Madrid, Lisbon and London, and for me Madrid and London are more beautiful in architecture and monuments, hovewer I agree with you Lisbon is one of my favourite cities in Europe.
Mad2012 no está en línea  
Old January 5th, 2009, 08:35 PM   #740
Luk's
do mundo

Likes (Received): 7919

PARATY

i will introduce you a city too...

PARATY

http://www.paraty.com.br/iindex.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraty

Located on the Costa Verde (Green Coast), a lush, green corridor that runs along the coastline of the state of Rio de Janeiro, in Brazil, Paraty (or Parati) is a preserved Portuguese colonial and Brazilian Imperial (1822-1889) town. Paraty has become a popular tourist area in recent years, renowned for the beauty of the town and the coast and mountains in the region. Paraty was founded formally as a town by Portuguese colonizers in 1667, in a region populated by the Guaianás Indians...

Population (2005): 33,062

aLL THE PHOTOS: PARATY GROUP FLICKR

photo: Diego 3336 and Quasebart

Paraty is home to a unique phenomenon. Once a month when there is a Full Moon and the tide is high, seawater rises from its normal levels, and pours into the Historic Center District through special openings in the seawalls that separate the city from the harbor. The streets are only flooded for a short time, until the tide recedes. The water is usually only six to ten inches deep and a few merchants near the seawall put out small bridges to span the flooded streets for the benefit of pedestrians.

photo: Raul Lisboa

Paraty nightlife
photo: Ricardo Carreon

Paraty nature

Photo: Luiz Castro

photo: Rodrigo Soldon

photo: gabriel stephanini and Carf

photo Ramon Castro and Ramon Fraga Cunha

Photo:Luiz Castro

1)Paris
2)Rome
3)Paraty

Last edited by Luk's; January 5th, 2009 at 08:43 PM.
Luk's no está en línea  

Closed Thread