daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old November 15th, 2007, 04:14 PM   #141
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 201

Rio is great! Such a beautiful city in the mountains!

And, Amsterdam!;

al the canals;

Sponsored Links
Old November 15th, 2007, 05:56 PM   #142
Geoce
Geoce

Likes (Received): 2336

My top 3:

Rio(simply amazing)

Santiago (modern, mountais)

Hong Kong (density, modern)

But I love Toronto, Vancouver, Auckland, Brasilia, Paris, Dubai, Beijing, Amsterdam, Sao Paulo, Los Angeles, Cancun and Cape Town too.
Geoce no está en línea  
Old November 15th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #143
LMCA1990
Top tier

Likes (Received): 3459

1 - Paris
2 - Vancouver
3 - Hong Kong
Old November 15th, 2007, 06:26 PM   #144
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58055

Strange how anybody can mention Athens as one of the top 3 - or even Buenos Aires, Rio or Cape Town. I understand that there are different tastes, but those cities aren't really beautiful besides their scenery and a few architectural highlights maybe... Ultimately I wouldn't consider them to be one of the top 3 most beautiful, even if they honestly aren't that bad to look at either.

It's hard to name just 3 in a row - there are way too much fantabulous cities on earth to make such a decision. Nevertheless I could easily say I'm not prefering any of those absolutely tourist overcrowded places, that often come to someones mind hearing the term 'beautiful'.
Maybe I'm going to post a list the day I've visited every (real) great city in the entire universe

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea  
Old November 15th, 2007, 07:24 PM   #145
philadweller

Likes (Received): 16

"Strange how anybody can mention Athens as one of the top 3 - or even Buenos Aires, Rio or Cape Town. I understand that there are different tastes, but those cities aren't really beautiful besides their scenery and a few architectural highlights maybe... Ultimately I wouldn't consider them to be one of the top 3 most beautiful, even if they honestly aren't that bad to look at either."

I completely agree!!! You and I have sophisticated urban palettes to realize that a backdrop does nothing for a city. This is like judging a restaurant by the space it is in and not the cuisine.

There are cities that have both though. Barcelona, Lisbon and even Seattle have beautiful settings as well as streetscapes.

Last edited by philadweller; November 15th, 2007 at 09:03 PM.
philadweller no está en línea  
Old November 15th, 2007, 08:17 PM   #146
Bates

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by philadweller View Post
"Strange how anybody can mention Athens as one of the top 3 - or even Buenos Aires, Rio or Cape Town. I understand that there are different tastes, but those cities aren't really beautiful besides their scenery and a few architectural highlights maybe... Ultimately I wouldn't consider them to be one of the top 3 most beautiful, even if they honestly aren't that bad to look at either."

I completely agree!!! You and I have sophisticated urban palettes to realize that a backdrop does nothing for a city. This is like judging a restaurant by the space it is in and not the cuisine.

There are cities that have both though. Barcelona, Lisbon and even Seattle have beautiful settings as well as streetscapes.
I complete agree with both of you, in fact I've picked the cities for things such as architecture, lifestyle and quality of life for what I've experienced, seen and heard... but, believe me, there's no landscape or a few architectural highlights in Buenos Aires.
Bates no está en línea  
Old November 15th, 2007, 09:20 PM   #147
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates View Post
but, believe me, there's no landscape or a few architectural highlights in Buenos Aires.
lol, i totally disagree with you. Buenos aires IS a city of architecture, NOT a city of landscapes, backdrops, or natural settings.
JuanPaulo no está en línea  
Old November 15th, 2007, 09:35 PM   #148
samba_man
Dobrando a Meta

Likes (Received): 19814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates View Post
but, believe me, there's no landscape or a few architectural highlights in Buenos Aires.
Is this a joke, right?
Old November 15th, 2007, 09:40 PM   #149
Ramses

Likes (Received): 21

1. Amsterdam - Netherlands

2. Maastricht - Netherlands

3. Groningen - Netherlands

Nothing beats the Netherlands.
Ramses no está en línea  
Old November 15th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #150
Bates

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
lol, i totally disagree with you. Buenos aires IS a city of architecture, NOT a city of landscapes, backdrops, or natural settings.
Thats what I said
"but, believe me, there's no landscape ... in Buenos Aires"
Bates no está en línea  
Old November 15th, 2007, 11:02 PM   #151
LeB.Fr
BANNED

Likes (Received): 20

For me, the 3 most beautiful cities of the world are:

1)BEIRUT, Paris of the Middle East, the cosmopolitain capital where you can be at the beach and you have the snowy mountains in front of you, where you have the best nightlife ever, with the best downtown on earth, Beirut is simply the phoenix that will never die.

2)PARIS, capital of arts, breath taking architecture, Le Louvre, Eiffel Tower, the capital of Earth.

3)Venise, the most charming and romantic city of the world, you go there to relax, to enjoy the gondolines and to feel real Italy.
LeB.Fr no está en línea  
Old November 15th, 2007, 11:02 PM   #152
krull
In Time

Likes (Received): 58

My top 3 are...

Paris
Venice
NYC

Other ones,

Viena
Amsterdam
Barcelona
Buenos Aires
San Francisco
Rio De Janeiro
Madrid
London
Boston
Washington

Last edited by krull; November 15th, 2007 at 11:07 PM.
krull no está en línea  
Old November 15th, 2007, 11:19 PM   #153
IMPÉRIO-BR
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyP View Post
agree
It's Rio, but could be Paris

It's Rio , but could be NY

It´s Rio, and could be only Rio.

Last edited by IMPÉRIO-BR; November 15th, 2007 at 11:24 PM.
IMPÉRIO-BR no está en línea  
Old November 16th, 2007, 01:13 AM   #154
AMBAnauta
Sumergido en BA

Likes (Received): 578

Buenos aires...

AMBAnauta no está en línea  
Old November 16th, 2007, 01:57 AM   #155
MDguy

Based on photos (I've never been to the first 2) i will go with...

1. Amsterdam
2. Buenos Aires
3. San Francisco

if landscape were conserned, Rio would be number 1 no doubt!
MDguy no está en línea  
Old November 16th, 2007, 03:08 AM   #156
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

I have traveled the world extensively, and naming just three cities is impossible, because different cities are beautiful for different reasons. Some cities are beautiful only because of their location/landscape, whereas other cities have no particular landscape/location and are only beautiful because of their buildings or urban perspectives.

Also, there are so many cities on earth, in Europe each micro region has scores of very beautiful towns, it would be impossible to list them all. If we restrict the list to really big cities only, say cities above 2 million people, then this would be the cities I consider the most beautiful in the world (in geographical order):

- Saint Petersburg
- Paris
- Rome
- Lisbon
- Algiers (it has lost a lot of its beauty since the independence of Algeria, but the city still keeps some of its former beauty, and the hills will never change, it's the San Francisco of North Africa)
- Washington DC
- San Francisco
- Rio de Janeiro
- Santiago de Chile
- Hanoi (although it's now changing for the worse, so go visit quickly)
- Hong Kong (incredible landscape, but the city itself is really average apart from the tallest skyscrapers)
- Sydney

50 or 100 years ago, I would have included other cities in the list, but they have unfortunately lost their beauty:
- Beijing: would have definitely been in the top 3 until 1949, but was almost completely destroyed by Chinese communist authorities and greedy developpers. It's probably the most horrendous destruction of an historical city on such a scale outside of war time in contemporary history.
- Tokyo: destroyed by the 1923 Kanto Earthquake
- Seoul: destroyed during the Korean War and subsequent years
- Phnom Penh: in tatters after 20 years of civil war, but the buildings are still there, so there's potential for that city if they restored the buildings, cleaned the streets, and solved the poverty problem. Then it could become again the Pearl of Asia or the Paris of the East as it was once known. Unfortunately I fear it will just become another soulless Asian city with destruction of old buildings and construction of bland high rises. Hanoi is already following that path.
- Beirut: destroyed by 10 years of a bitter civil war
- Mexico City: this once beautiful and historical city nestled in the mountains with pure air and incredible landscape was turned into an ugly and poluted megapolis by lazy and corrupt urban planners. Mexico City in the 1930s and 1940s was an absolute jewel, with old Renaissance churches, French beaux arts districts, and new art deco neighborhoods, not to mention parks and little violence. People told me back then it was possible to see the Popocatepetl volcano on any single day of the year. I wish I had lived there back then.
- Los Angeles: incredible location and beautiful art deco and colonial revival architecture ruined by post-war urban planning. West LA is still gorgeous though.

Last edited by brisavoine; November 16th, 2007 at 03:19 AM.
brisavoine no está en línea  
Old November 16th, 2007, 03:38 AM   #157
globill

Location: I'm going to Washington to serve the people of this country.
Likes (Received): 8

Chicago should be among the top 5 imho

"I told you what I thought about that when I said I do not trust Obama and I probably never will. He hasnn't proven anything to me or you yet but he has flapped his lips plenty. And that I guess, is enough for some of you smarties in here." nygirl
globill no está en línea  
Old November 16th, 2007, 12:58 PM   #158
Lydon

Likes (Received): 5618

Quote:
Originally Posted by philadweller View Post

I certainly hope you aren't a restaurant owner because that's the biggest load of bull I've ever heard. Of course a backdrop counts. I wouldn't step foot in a restaurant that serves good food but is completely run down. Backdrops set a scene and general mood for a city like the decor in a restaurant does.
Old November 16th, 2007, 03:02 PM   #159
CaptainJason

Likes (Received): 0

(in no order)
London- love the way its and architectural mash of styles, chaotic road layouts and varied culture throughout. For me personally this is why i prefere it over Paris, which although beautiful doesnt have the organised chaos that is London
San Fransisco- Beautiful setting and amazing architecture. Prefere it over New York, which although it has my favourite building in it (chrysler Building) and its amazing to look at its skyline can be to over developed (especially when you compare it to old pictures).
Venice- Because there is nothing like it on earth and it has a massive history as being a cultural center of europe.

If you dont like my choices or opinions dont argue. i dont care.

Also worth a mention (in no order)... Tokyo, Paris, New York, Moscow, Barcalona, Liverpool (closest thing to London in the UK), Chicago and Frankfurt

http://smithdown.myminicity.com/
CaptainJason no está en línea  
Old December 1st, 2007, 08:19 PM   #160
1NY

Likes (Received): 1

NEW YORK
Chicago
San Francisco
These are my top 3. Maybe Hong Kong in place of San Francisco
Sydney is nice too.
1NY no está en línea  

Closed Thread