daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old May 27th, 2012, 10:40 PM   #2301
AltinD
The Modecator
 
AltinD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: TIRANA / Dubai / Vienna
Posts: 31,827
Likes (Received): 6071

My friend, street lights that cause way more light pollution then some skyscraper illuminations, are primarily a public safety and crime-fighting feature. I personally am not going to sacrifice on those for the sake of few stargazers .... which shouldn't be practicing their hobby on a urban area (for obvious reasons) anyway.

Tell me star-man, where are all scientific telescopes located? Far, far away from any inhabitated place. Why's that?


PS: As I told you before also, where you live, "combating" light pollution is only a sugar-coating for saving a buck or two in energy costs, it has nothing to do with stargazing.
__________________
I am the eye in the sky, Looking at you
I can read your mind
I am the maker of rules, Dealing with fools
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2012, 02:21 AM   #2302
Jongeheer
Registered User
 
Jongeheer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ghent
Posts: 2,356
Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsonsnose View Post
It's a non argument really because Dubai is what it is, and no one is ever going to give a shit about the odd stargazer here or there.
But if you think it was all desert 20 years ago you need to get your facts straight.
Skyscraper desert...yes, people desert...no.
Or haven't you seen the old town?

The what town? Ah yes, the old town. Inhabited by millions of people? Right.. The oldest building in Dubai is from 1800, not even a native building. The population explosion (Dubai holds the record for that, FYI) happened in the last twenty years. Again, get your facts straight.


This discussion really is hilarious, because I dislike light pollution too. Seeing Orion in the wintertime always brings a smile to my face. But when my government "gave in" to the stargazers, I saw the Realpolitik behind it. It's funny how you desperately want to gaze at the stars, whilst at the same time you are so blind.
Jongeheer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 02:22 AM   #2303
Groningen NL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Groningen
Posts: 867
Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jongeheer View Post
Ignorance, huh? Dubai was desert twenty years ago. Get your facts straight.
You should have checked Wiki before writing down this sh*t

"The earliest recorded mention of Dubai is in 1095, in the "Book of Geography" by the Andalusian-Arab geographer Abu Abdullah al-Bakri"
Groningen NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 03:21 AM   #2304
parsonsnose
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 512
Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jongeheer View Post
The what town? Ah yes, the old town. Inhabited by millions of people? Right.. The oldest building in Dubai is from 1800, not even a native building. The population explosion (Dubai holds the record for that, FYI) happened in the last twenty years. Again, get your facts straight.


This discussion really is hilarious, because I dislike light pollution too. Seeing Orion in the wintertime always brings a smile to my face. But when my government "gave in" to the stargazers, I saw the Realpolitik behind it. It's funny how you desperately want to gaze at the stars, whilst at the same time you are so blind.
I shouldn't really be arguing with an imbecile but wtf, my original post on this topic was simply to put a counter argument to the mass adulation of overlit skyscrapers at night time.
I was pointing out that there are people who would see it as an intrusion. The numbers of those people are irrelevant, whether it be millions, thousands or tens, they do exist.
I know that nobody really gives a shit, but the point is still valid.
As has been pointed out to you, you're the one who needs to start checking your facts.
Never mind gazing at Orion, perhaps you need to stop looking at Uranus so much.
parsonsnose no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 03:27 AM   #2305
parsonsnose
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 512
Likes (Received): 26

"PS: As I told you before also, where you live, "combating" light pollution is only a sugar-coating for saving a buck or two in energy costs, it has nothing to do with stargazing."

You are wrong on that one altind, you don't combat light pollution by turning off streetlights, we all need them as you pointed out yourself. You do it by installing more efficient streetlights which direct the light where it is wanted without allowing most of it to escape up into the sky.
parsonsnose no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 12:01 PM   #2306
Jongeheer
Registered User
 
Jongeheer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ghent
Posts: 2,356
Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groningen NL View Post
You should have checked Wiki before writing down this sh*t

"The earliest recorded mention of Dubai is in 1095, in the "Book of Geography" by the Andalusian-Arab geographer Abu Abdullah al-Bakri"

Dude, don't you think I checked Wiki? It was a goat-town before the oil was discovered in the late 60's. The population boom occured after the oil was discovered. As the oil supplies are running out, the shift of Dubai changed to becoming a New York on the Arab peninsula. It's like they would discover oil in Wijhe (for the other readers, it's a cow-town in the vicinity of Groningen, I've been there ) and start developing the hell out of this little village when suddenly somebody who has nothing to do with Wijhe starts to 'fight for the right' of the people to watch the stars. I mean come on! I absolutely love watching stars, and when I see the Milky way, I get a feeling that I can't describe. Parsonsnose could have made a simple remark, and left it there. His situation has nothing to do with Dubai's.

And the number of people who "care" IS relevant. Ever heard of democracy, little ****? Meh, I've had it. Bu-Bai

Last edited by Jongeheer; May 28th, 2012 at 12:07 PM.
Jongeheer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 10:37 PM   #2307
kony
Registered User
 
kony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Hong-Kong / Paris
Posts: 5,370
Likes (Received): 1241

oooooooh nooooo NOT this argument about stars and lights in dark night again lol

can't we go back on Infinity Tower ?
kony está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 01:45 AM   #2308
IngMarco
Registered User
 
IngMarco's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Culiacán
Posts: 4,165
Likes (Received): 2632

For people like me who don't write that much and prefers reading the info while the thread develops, It gets really tiring to find this kind of non-sense off-topic argument.

It kills the forum attractiveness (if that word even exists lol). But please people, reading insults and unrelated info makes it really boring.

The pictures shown by Imre and AltinD are wonderful by the way. The top of this building seems to be quite a challenge, slow but steady.
IngMarco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 03:08 AM   #2309
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur
 
Parisian Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PARIS - Monte Carlo - London
Posts: 16,678
Likes (Received): 2829

image hosted on flickr

Day #144 by d'Avoine, on Flickr
__________________
Je m'appelle Paris
Parisian Girl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 08:24 AM   #2310
greg.g
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: dubai. JLT
Posts: 37
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by IngMarco View Post
For people like me who don't write that much and prefers reading the info while the thread develops, It gets really tiring to find this kind of non-sense off-topic argument.

It kills the forum attractiveness (if that word even exists lol). But please people, reading insults and unrelated info makes it really boring.

The pictures shown by Imre and AltinD are wonderful by the way. The top of this building seems to be quite a challenge, slow but steady.

WELL SAID, THANK YOU!
greg.g no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 10:58 AM   #2311
windowsoftheworld
Registered User
 
windowsoftheworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 638
Likes (Received): 171

lovely looking tower.
windowsoftheworld no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 08:42 PM   #2312
Imre
Dubai
 
Imre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dubai
Posts: 40,564
Likes (Received): 315

30/May/2012

Infinity Tower

[IMG]http://i47.************/1h4bbl.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i46.************/sv57ci.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i46.************/1jwwhl.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i45.************/25tvlnl.jpg[/IMG]
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 01:33 PM   #2313
AltinD
The Modecator
 
AltinD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: TIRANA / Dubai / Vienna
Posts: 31,827
Likes (Received): 6071

Wow, the Infinity pool of the Infinity tower is very big
__________________
I am the eye in the sky, Looking at you
I can read your mind
I am the maker of rules, Dealing with fools
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 03:55 PM   #2314
Imre
Dubai
 
Imre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dubai
Posts: 40,564
Likes (Received): 315

01/June/2012

Infinity Tower

[IMG]http://i49.************/2mcccyd.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i49.************/30awa48.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i47.************/25asu82.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i50.************/mhqw9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i48.************/116iav4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i49.************/2ilftz9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i50.************/15s4ozo.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i50.************/4l6hcx.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i47.************/35lao39.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i46.************/2enqq9c.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i49.************/160rk8w.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i48.************/xfovep.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i46.************/2jctro5.jpg[/IMG]
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 02:23 PM   #2315
Imre
Dubai
 
Imre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dubai
Posts: 40,564
Likes (Received): 315

08/June/2012

Infinity Tower

[IMG]http://i48.************/20py7ew.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i48.************/9qyyvo.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i47.************/o5xswl.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i45.************/a2alu8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i45.************/14w6jqh.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i47.************/bjerzo.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i47.************/28v1bm.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i46.************/28k7wxl.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i49.************/nbx2l4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i50.************/2w6cgzr.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i47.************/14bqe1e.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i46.************/2zi7rs9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i46.************/358dxtd.jpg[/IMG]
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #2316
the sock
Registered User
 
the sock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,725
Likes (Received): 80

how tall is the twisty one when done ?
the sock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2012, 01:58 PM   #2317
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers
 
ZZ-II's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Near Ingolstadt in Bavaria
Posts: 33,506
Likes (Received): 6526

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sock
how tall is the twisty one when done ?
306m, as the title of the thread says
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2012, 09:20 AM   #2318
comet the cat
Too tall is not an option
 
comet the cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 492
Likes (Received): 85

It looks nearly completed now! Not much more to go externally surely.
__________________
Red Black Productions - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUMm...d-Rmw/featured
comet the cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #2319
jhalsey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 1,262
Likes (Received): 182

A huge amount of work has gone into building this unusual structure.
jhalsey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 11:22 AM   #2320
Skyrobot
Registered User
 
Skyrobot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: シンガポール
Posts: 343
Likes (Received): 9

An engineering marvel!
__________________
MANCHESTER UNITED - "The Red Devils"
Skyrobot no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
dubai, som, united arab emirates

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu