daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties » Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 6th, 2006, 09:37 AM   #1
jmancuso
make it so...

Likes (Received): 37

CHANNELSIDE | Channelside District Development News

continued from closed thread.
jmancuso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 6th, 2006, 03:48 PM   #2
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

Likes (Received): 227

On Port, Rooms With A Rusty View
Skip directly to the full story.
By MIKE SALINERO The Tampa Tribune

Published: Jun 5, 2006

TAMPA - Rusting silos, teeming dry docks and tugboats pushing grimy barges are not everybody's idea of a pleasing visual milieu.

Casey Ellison, however, loves looking at the Port of Tampa from his fourth-floor condominium in Victory Lofts, where units cost up to $850,000.

"It's very entertaining," Ellison said. "You get to see all kinds of ships coming and going out of the port."

Many people think the ultimate Florida vista must include golden sunsets, frothy waves and a turquoise ocean. But there's a vigorous market for high-end properties overlooking industrial areas such as ports.

Channelside developer Brooks Byrd was surprised when residents buying into his 20-story Grandview development on Harbour Island passed up brilliant sunsets for units looking across Garrison Channel at the Port of Tampa.

"The primary reason that my residents gave me is they liked looking at these big ships moving around," Byrd said.

Industrial areas are the "last frontier" in the urban renaissance that has been luring residents to central city areas for years, said Theodore Trent Green, professor of architecture and urban design at the University of South Florida.

"We're probably late getting started," Green said. "If you look at cities like Seattle and Portland [Ore.], they have a number of very pricey condo buildings within walking distance of a working port."

Green said developable land is often scarce in downtown commercial areas, so developers look to industrial districts. Ports typically have lots of land, he said, and are always looking for economic development opportunities. It's even possible some ports will invest in, or provide land for, residential redevelopment.

Ellison and other Channelside condo dwellers have a birds-eye view of International Ship & Marine at the north end of Ybor Channel.

"At night, there'll be guys rappelling down the sides of the boat, welding on the ship," Ellison said. "Actually at night when the sun is setting … the colors that come up out of all the metallic surfaces … it's a great view."

That view includes TECO's new natural-gas powered power plant, the Mosaic fertilizer company's berth and a half-dozen industrial silos, some in use and some long abandoned.

One of those abandoned silos, rusting and in bad repair, is on International Ship property, a Tampa Port Authority spokeswoman said.

Another set of abandoned silos, on the east side of the channel, belongs to Florida Rock Industries in Jacksonville.

How long the abandoned silos will continue standing is uncertain.

A spokesman for International Ship would not comment. Jim Reed, Florida Rock's director of real estate, said the company is talking to potential buyers but has no immediate plans to take down the silos.

Reed said he's not sure whether the property is more valuable as industrial or residential.

"The area on the side of the channel where we are is quite distinct from the other side," Reed said. "On the other side, they're promoting multiuse and hotels. On the side we're on, it's still purely industrial. The real question is if that expansion to other uses is going to find its way around to the property on this side of the channel."

Fida Sirdar, developer of The Place at Channelside condominiums, said some residents might find even the rusting silos visually interesting.

In his home of Toronto, people are trying to preserve the same type of silos found around the Port of Tampa and turn them into a music hall.

"A lot of people actually like them," he said. "That's their history; that's the heritage of the city."

Contact Mike Salinero at 813-259-8303 or tarthur@tampatrib.com.

http://news.tbo.com/news/metro/MGBO9T162OE.html
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 05:43 AM   #3
Quegiebo
SoHo

Likes (Received): 6

Earlier today, a friend and I were checking out Smiley's updated pics from last week, and decided to go check out the new Channelside. So we hopped in his convertible and drove down to see the "rest of the story." Can you say, WOW! Both of us were floored by the explosion of growth in the district and it is really starting to take shape.
I can already see a mini Channelside skyline setting up in the not too distant future.

The Grand Central project is HUGE from ground level, and when you add in Ventana, it just seems to go on and on... I can't wait to see them when they're finished... and throw in the Slade for good measure.

Victory lofts, 1000 Channelside, and Meridian look (as Cartman would say) "sweeeet!"

All-in-all, it's still too quiet right now... gotta say this though; in a year or two, when a substantial number of residents have moved in, it's definitely gonna be an exciting area to call home!

If you haven't had a chance to check out Channelside, try to arrange some time. It really is quite a rebirth and it's definitely worth a look-see.

If anyone is interested, there are plenty of condos in established projects up for sale or lease right now if you can afford them.

b.t.w. ...also drove by Trump tower and didn't see much action...
Quegiebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 01:55 PM   #4
randommichael

Likes (Received): 5

I just hope that investors don't buy the majority of the units and then they sit empty for a while. Too many great places in Tampa are half empty because of these flippers. They have hung signs for the Slade now on an old white building right on Meridian, does anyone know if that building is where the Slade will be built?
randommichael no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 02:36 PM   #5
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by randommichael
I just hope that investors don't buy the majority of the units and then they sit empty for a while. Too many great places in Tampa are half empty because of these flippers. They have hung signs for the Slade now on an old white building right on Meridian, does anyone know if that building is where the Slade will be built?
If it was a white building between Kennedy and Washington fronting Meridian, on the east side of Meridian, then yes.
Old June 8th, 2006, 03:04 PM   #6
randommichael

It was that building. There are still several smaller buildings on Meridian that are in bad shape that need to be torn down. I think that area will be nice when all the development is complete. Does anyone think the area could become like a version of Miami's South Beach?
Old June 8th, 2006, 05:05 PM   #7
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by randommichael
It was that building. There are still several smaller buildings on Meridian that are in bad shape that need to be torn down. I think that area will be nice when all the development is complete. Does anyone think the area could become like a version of Miami's South Beach?
The buildings are in bad shape and are mostly warehouses, some vacant some not. We also need some stuff on the West side of Meridian too. Channelside architectally is a more modern version of South Beach with the coming projects. But the culture will never allow Channelside to be like South Beach. First off there is no beach, and second not enough nightlife. And third the history has been invested in different stuff in Channelside.
Old June 8th, 2006, 05:12 PM   #8
randommichael

Well all these condo towers might have some nightlife in them, but I agree with you it won't be like South Beach. I just hope it brings life to the area after dark.
Old June 8th, 2006, 06:18 PM   #9
Tallaman

Likes (Received): 0

In a few years, the South Beach crowd will be talking about the hot Channelside area and how Ybor nightlife has exploded with the new population center nearby. The whole dynamic won't be South Beach, it'll will have its own unique personality and be the envy of many. Maybe wishful thinking, but a real possibility.
Tallaman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 09:37 PM   #10
FLHawk
Channelside Pioneer

Likes (Received): 2

Well, I agree with your second statement - it will have its own vibe and energy. There will never be another South Beach, nor do I think we should try to emulate it.

It seems that Grand Central, Ventana and The Place Phase I are all on a collision course to finish up around the same time. When my out of town friends come down next Feb. for Gasparilla, they will be floored at the changes that have taken place in the past year.

I think you will also really start to see some changes to the streets, sidewalks, lighting and landscaping in a couple years when all the new residents' tax money piles into the CRT / TIF bucket.
FLHawk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 11:10 PM   #11
Quegiebo
SoHo

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFuture
If it was a white building between Kennedy and Washington fronting Meridian, on the east side of Meridian, then yes.
That's were it is located, yes. Based on the rendering I think it will fit very nicely in the area.

I was really struck by the variety in architecture that I saw yesterday. And what really makes this exciting is knowing that Channelside's development has just begun.

I just hope that the 'powers that be' make every effort to greenscape the district as much as possible. And I hope that they already have plans drawn up where mass transit is concerned. Channelside has the potential to be the first district that actually gets it right - earlier, rather than later. It shouldn't be an afterthought.
Quegiebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 12:59 AM   #12
John F

Likes (Received): 46

Thank you for the rename, Jason.

The origianl THread (BTW) can be found here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=175423

I'll either have to import the project rundown post or someone else can write up a new one. Take your pick.
Old June 9th, 2006, 01:09 AM   #13
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

Here's the list that I have right now for Channelside.....

Teleconference Center- 45 stories, approved, 550 feet, construction to begin late this year
Place Tower- 32 stories, approved, 350 feet, 300 units, complete early ‘08
Newks- 40 stories, approved, 250 units, groundbreaking mid ’06, complete late ‘08
Towers @ Channelside- 2 x30 stories, U/C, 257 units, complete mid ‘07
Blu Channelside- 2 x30 stories, proposed, 250 units, complete mid ‘08
O2- ~25 stories, proposed, redesigning
Novare Channelsdie- 25 stories, proposed, delayed but still alive
Finergy- 11 and 23 stories, 212 condos and 110 hotel rooms, proposed
Martin- 22 stories, approved, 321 units, groundbreaking late ’06, completion late ‘08
Plaza @ Harbor Island- 3 x 20 stories, U/C, 138 units (first tower)
102 Whiting St. Tower- 20 stories, 200 feet, proposed, 190 units
Grand Central- 14, 12 stories, U/C, 392 units, complete mid ‘07
Ventana- 2x11 stories, U/C, complete late ’06, 84 units
Seaboard Square- 18, 16, 2 x4 stories, proposed
Seaport Channelside- 8 stories, site work underway, 422 units, complete late ‘07
Place Condos- 8 stories, U/C, 165 units, complete late ‘06
Slade- 8 stories, approved, 280 units, complete late ’07, sales underway
Meridian- 6 stories, recently complete
1000 Channelside- 4 stories, U/C, 15 units, complete June
History Museum- 5 stories, approved
Old June 9th, 2006, 05:19 PM   #14
Dave01walk

Likes (Received): 1

FloridaFuture, I see you Newk's listed as to break ground very soon. Do you know when they are supposed to be doing this?
Dave01walk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 05:26 PM   #15
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave01walk
FloridaFuture, I see you Newk's listed as to break ground very soon. Do you know when they are supposed to be doing this?
Tampamobster21 reported a week back that Newks was closing in a few weeks, once Newks closes demolition will begin followed by construction.
Old June 9th, 2006, 05:37 PM   #16
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 413

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFuture
Tampamobster21 reported a week back that Newks was closing in a few weeks, once Newks closes demolition will begin followed by construction.
He says anything that he believes. He really didn't have any idea when they would close.
Old June 9th, 2006, 06:09 PM   #17
John F

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewPortRicheyGuy
He says anything that he believes. He really didn't have any idea when they would close.
A matter of truthiness. The facts may be different but as long as you believe it, it's the truth.
Old June 9th, 2006, 06:12 PM   #18
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewPortRicheyGuy
Well it was supposed ot begin after hockey season was over. Now that its in the finals he may be about right. Its not like we've heard anything else, and mid '06 is a broad range, which I did on purpose because you never really know when these things start.
Old June 9th, 2006, 06:41 PM   #19
John F

It was supposed to close when the LIGHTNING season ended which was in the first round. They anticipated the Bolts going a lot farther as did the fans - but there plans were the minute the Lightning were done for the year - they'd close.
Old June 9th, 2006, 06:58 PM   #20
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F
It was supposed to close when the LIGHTNING season ended which was in the first round. They anticipated the Bolts going a lot farther as did the fans - but there plans were the minute the Lightning were done for the year - they'd close.
Its possible their plans were for the end of the NHL season which they expected would be about the same time as the end of the Lightning season. Either that or the restraunt has experienced a surge in patronage from hockey in general and not just the Lightning since they probaly are the most popular hockey bar in the bay area. Lots of hardcore Lightning fans could be interested in who wins the Stanley Cup.

Tags
downtown tampa, tampa-projects