daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Midwest and Plains

Midwest and Plains » Development News | Includes all plains states, MN, WI, IL, IN, OH, MO

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 8th, 2006, 01:50 AM   #1
Jeff_in_Dayton

Likes (Received): 0

Gay Pride '06 in Dayton

Dayton is a fairly closeted and conservative area, so there is no big Gay Pride thing here like elsewhere in the Midwest. There has been a Pride Dinner since 1986 or 1987, which is a sort of private event as you have to buy tickets and its held in some sort of banquet facility (which has changed through time).

Recently (not sure for how long, a few years now) there has been a public event downtown...a short parade and a festival on Couthouse Square in the heart of downtown. I went to this last year, and again this year. And again, due to a late start, I missed the parade.

So here is a large collection of pix of the Dayton Gay Pride event on Courthouse Square, with occasional commentary by me. As this is a skyscraper enthusiast board, I made a point of trying to include some skyscraper pix, though its the people that are the interesting thing here...

Gay Pride parades got started as a political activist event, and the fight for rights still goes on, 30 years on from Stonewall..

The IM Pei -designed Gem City Bank in the backround, from the 1970s.

Beaux-Arts 1920s era Keybank Building

Arcade Tower over the Courthouse

Various tables and groups....

The gay-friendly granny....

This church is actually out in the suburbs, in affluent Washington Township. It is a straight church, but they have a gay minister...long story here....

even some straight folks came to check out the scene....

An early Dayton skyscraper visible... the Republic Building, now the RTA bus hub and food court

People having a good time....

The Edward Durrell Stone-designed Citizens Federal Building in the backround...this is Dayton's most recent skyscraper, dating from the late 80s/very early 90s...

Dayton's tallest...the Kettering Tower...in the backround. Originally the Winters Bank, it was built in 1970.

There where more kids here than I expected.

Dancing to a gay country singer

A few queens....

Scary!

There is an outdoor stage on the side of the Courthouse, which was used for various speeches and entertainments....

Our MCs....

Drag perfomer and chorus line....

The chorus line from A Chorus Line, which is showing at a suburban dinner theatre...

Marching band and drill corps visiting from Cincy...the nice thing about Ohio cities is that we can go to each others pride events as they are on different weekends in June.

Joe Lacey, on the Dayton School Board. One of Ohio's very few openly gay elected officials. I've known Joe for years and he has really labored hard in the political vinyards for the Democrats...

More drag performers

Country bad girl....riffing on Dayton's redneck side.....

Dolly Parton style....

Diva....classic....with the elegant ionic rear portico of the Courthouse (an excellent antebellum neoclassic building from the 1830s or 40s) in the backround.

One of the nice things about Courthouse Square is that it has this big fountain, which I dont see turned on too often (but then i dont come downtown too often). Here it is working and being a real attraction, especially since its edge can be used as a seat or bench.....

Sitting next to the fountain, taking snapshots of the passing parade...Dayton GLBT folks on parade.....

...this guy was an early AIDS activist, and has done alot of volunteer work for the community....

I think this guy is the owner of Argos, which is a relatively new levi-leather-BDSM bar...

Like I said, more kids this year, it seems....

This guy is a bartender at the venerable Stage Door Musical Bar..the oldest gay bar in Dayton and one of the oldest in Ohio...

I like this guys look. I imagine this is someone from the pre-Stonewall "Boys in the Band" era.

Gotta love those fem guys....

Straight family...

Everday Dayton gay and lesbian folks....

Sponsored Links

Old June 8th, 2006, 01:58 AM   #2
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 405

Oh my....my....my....looks like a gay ole time.
Chicagoago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 02:21 AM   #3
jacobboyer

to bad osama didnt strike there they make me sick
jacobboyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 02:40 AM   #4
Cincinnatus
JUNCTA JUVANT

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobboyer
What? Who makes you sick?
Cincinnatus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 02:45 AM   #5
Avian001
Mostly Sane

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Are you, like, 12 years old? I've read dozens of your posts. Can you spell? Can you type a coherent sentence? Can you use punctuation and capital letters?

Little boy, time to go home and stop replying to threads, posting stupid polls and displaying your phenomenal ignorance of the world.

Regarding Dayton, it looks like you have a good-sized festival. Have fun. Play safe.
Old June 8th, 2006, 03:18 AM   #6
Chicagoago

yeah, get a hobby jacobboyer. Takes a dedicated hater to choose to enter a thread like this if you're just gonna sit there and be a little bitch...
Old June 8th, 2006, 03:23 AM   #7
UWMilwaukeeJay

Dayton has a nice downtown for its size...hopefully a new tallest will blast up within the next decade...progressive, quite progressive. milwaukee has one of those pride festival ordeals at summerfest grounds...maybe the largest in the midwest?us? i have no idea.
UWMilwaukeeJay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 03:24 AM   #8
Chicagoago

Double post....internet had a hiccup.
Old June 8th, 2006, 03:43 AM   #9
jacobboyer

get a life why the hell would it matter if you capitalized on a message board and what polls
jacobboyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 04:05 AM   #10
Avian001
Mostly Sane

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
get a life why the hell would it matter if you capitalized on a message board and what polls
^You've just proved my point. Because no one can understand you, dork.

Type exactly how you speak.

Unless that's how you speak.

Again, to Dayton: It's good to see other Pride Festivals in Midwestern cities. Kudos! Are there any activities that specifically highlight the amenities that Dayton has to offer?

Last edited by Avian001; June 8th, 2006 at 04:10 AM.
Avian001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 04:14 AM   #11
DecoJim

Likes (Received): 4

Jeff:
Besides showing a pride event that is bigger than I would have guessed for a city like Dayton, your pictures do a pretty good job at providing a nice architectural tour of downtown Dayton. This is actually the best set of photos that I have seen of Dayton.

There is more than enough hate in the world without people like jacobboyer advocating that terrorists wipe out thousands of people that are excersizing their freedoms. Of course there are those "patriots" and upholders of "family values" that would wish death on other Americans who do not match the narrow definition they have of "freedom".
DecoJim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 05:01 AM   #12
colink

Please don't let stupid comments like the one in this thread taint your view of the city of Minneapolis. Shame.

Happy pride Dayton!
colink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 05:11 AM   #13
Suburbanite

That looks like a pretty tame gay pride event. Compared to other cities.
Suburbanite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 05:17 AM   #14
bungalowbuck

great pics. thanks very much!!! by the way, which neighborhoods have the highest percentage of gay/lesbian residents? is there a neighborhood which seems to be more of a lesbian enclave? i am always happy to see the presence of gay men and women in inner-city neighborhoods. all the property owners benefit from their presence.
bungalowbuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 06:22 AM   #15
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Nice pics
NaptownBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 07:01 AM   #16
exit_320

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWMilwaukeeJay
Dayton has a nice downtown for its size...hopefully a new tallest will blast up within the next decade...progressive, quite progressive. milwaukee has one of those pride festival ordeals at summerfest grounds...maybe the largest in the midwest?us? i have no idea.
You are correct, Milwaukee has the largest pride festival around.. and it is this weekend. http://www.pridefest.com. Margaret Cho (hilarious) will be there on Friday night. And for all you Chicago people, yes, Chicago has the best parade around. I would recommend anyone that is in Milwaukee this weekend check out Pridefest, it is a good time for everyone. And if you are in Chicago during the Pride Parade (last weekend of June I believe) make sure to head down there. It is a very good time!

Great pics from Dayton!
exit_320 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 03:16 PM   #17
eweezerinc
President of Catan

Awesome Jeff!
You had me rollin on the floor with some of those.

Can't wait for Louisville's Kentuckiana Pride in about a week. I'm not a big rainbow person, but its a needed adventure to be around that many crazy people at least once a year.

I really like the building in this pic, btw. Showed some awesome architecture in your photos.
Old June 8th, 2006, 07:55 PM   #18
xDieselJockx

I don't have problems with gay people, but sometimes things like these gets me, see the child in the background? They know it's a public place where vulnerable children maybe around and I don't want to hear about the parent's responsibilty chit here, not all the time everybody knows there would be a gay parade somewhere. It's not the parade, it's the act of some if not more than half of them....

Last edited by xDieselJockx; June 8th, 2006 at 08:14 PM.
xDieselJockx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 09:15 PM   #19
eweezerinc
President of Catan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDieselJockx
It's not the parade, it's the act of some if not more than half of them....
Now thats a completely unfair statement. I'm gay, and wouldn't be caught dead in a get-up like that. And out of all my friends that are gay, I can think of exactly two that would, the rest would find it tasteless and completely inapproapriate. There are more gay people than you think, but the only ones you notice are the ones who feel like shouting about it by wearing dreadful, tacky things as shown.
That and you see the drag-show scene, but I can also tell you that a lot of gay people don't like it, and even I can only handle so much of it. I'm tolerant, but I personally find it a bit annoying.

Just always keep in mind that there are so many gays who do not appreciate the kind of idea most people have about homosexuality simply because of tacky leather-lovers and half naked paraders who make out in city streets.
Old June 8th, 2006, 09:45 PM   #20
Chicagoago

lol, is it just me or did anyone else notice that chick on the left side of the last picture whos pants appear to be down. I guess it could be a man...

And yeah, I wouldn't say half of the people there are acting outrageous. I'm gay, yet no one I work with knows ( cause why does it matter at work ), and the 95% of the people I see walking down the street or casually talk to wouldn't know I am either. There are a LOT more gay people out there than meets the eye. You just see the 35% who are running around acting flashy.

watch yourself....we're out there.....watching....waiting....plotting.

j/k. Happy Thursday.