daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 9th, 2006, 07:20 PM   #1
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

DUBLIN - MANOR PARK, 51F, 33F, and more!!

Plan for a mini-Manhattan in our capital city!!
Project it to contain Ireland's 2 tallest buildings, 171m and 124m
Definitely the most ambitious proposal ever for Dublin.
I wonder what the odds are this'll be built though. I won't post what I think and let you guess instead
I do think it's too much though.

Quote:
PLAN FOR 'MINI-MANHATTAN' IN DUBLIN'S LIBERTIES

Frank McDonald, Environment Editor

Planning permission is being sought from Dublin City Council for two of the tallest buildings yet proposed anywhere in Ireland - and both of them would be even higher than the Spire in O'Connell Street.

The two glazed towers are the key elements of a Digital Hub scheme by Manor Park Homes (MPH) for a 2.5-acre site on Thomas Street in the Liberties, between St Catherine's church and the Guinness Hop Store.

Designed by award-winning architects deBlacam and Meagher, the tallest of the towers would be 171 metres (564ft) high, making it nearly three times the height of Liberty Hall - the city's tallest building.

With a helicopter pad at roof level, the proposed tower would rise 47 storeys from a podium, which in itself would be four storeys high. It would contain a 360-bedroom hotel, with 80 serviced apartments on upper floors.

The second tower in this "mini-Manhattan" project would be 124 metres (409ft) high - three metres taller than the Spire - and would contain 33 floors of offices designed to accommodate digital technology companies.

The podium on which the towers would stand is envisaged as a lively space, animated by having creches, bars and restaurants opening onto it. Its centrepiece would be a circular landscaped area, with walkways.

On the Thomas Street frontage, a series of five eight-storey blocks would be inserted between protected historic buildings. Their design echoes deBlacam and Meagher's award-winning Wooden Building in the west end of Temple Bar.

A stone staircase, six metres wide, would lead up from the street to the podium level. Beneath the podium, a brick-vaulted gallery - 140 metres long - would extend right through the site, and would be lined with food courts and other retail outlets.

According to Shane deBlacam, the scheme was inspired by Aurora Place in Sydney, Australia, which was designed by Italian architect Renzo Piano. It also consists of two tall towers and "lifts everything else in the city around it", he said.

"There's no reason why Dublin shouldn't have a skyline like that, with slender towers sticking up to great heights. The history of architecture is about putting buildings on a hill" - a reference to the fact that Thomas Street is on a ridge.

Asked why they had departed so radically from the relatively modest heights envisaged in the Digital Hub master plan, Mr deBlacam said its densities were "at the lower end of what Dublin could take" and this was about "real regeneration".

MPH's planning consultant, Stephen Little, said there was a "tradition" of tall buildings in the Liberties, citing the nine-storey Guinness Storehouse as a precedent. The Digital Hub was also part of a strategy of moving the city centre westwards.

Alan Sherwood of TDI Consultants, who have been advising on the scheme, said it had been tailored to the needs of firms employing up to 20 people who wanted offices with small floorplates in buildings with "soul".

On the central issue of its soaring heights, John Moran - MPH's development director - pointed out that the city council's planners had granted permission for a 12-storey tower in nearby School Street, "so we're not the ones who broke the glass".
© The Irish Times
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2006, 08:29 PM   #2
[email protected]
Global Citizen

Likes (Received): 6366

It's about time that Ireland finally gets some skyscrapers. But wouldn't it make more sense to build those in the Docklands where all the other construction currently takes place?
R@ptor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 10:35 PM   #3
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13283

Great news, this is supertall by Ireland's standards
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2006, 01:50 AM   #4
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

The 32-storey tower near heuston station should be around here too. Wjfox, this for Ireland is more like what "The Illinois" is for Chicago.
Old June 10th, 2006, 02:24 AM   #5
Koweitien

Likes (Received): 0

Finally a real skyscraper is going up in Dublin. But personally I think that this is never going to happen since the Irish are not very big fans of tall buildings (I hope I'm wrong though ).
Koweitien no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2006, 02:31 AM   #6
Majevčan
Српски Форум

Likes (Received): 881

looks quite god.
Old June 10th, 2006, 02:37 AM   #7
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Although this project won't get built most likely, or will be reduced to 10 storeys, it might encourage some more developers to propose projects with a little more balls.
Old June 10th, 2006, 04:32 AM   #8
CrazyCanuck
MOD SQUAD

Likes (Received): 28

I love how it's only two skyscrapers and it's already a 'mini-Manhattan'. Good for Dublin.
CrazyCanuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2006, 04:52 AM   #9
EtherealMist
The World Is Yours

Likes (Received): 17

Great news! Hope it gets built...
EtherealMist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2006, 06:18 AM   #10
allan_dude
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

hope to see a dublin skyline soon!
allan_dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2006, 06:42 AM   #11
Bertez

Likes (Received): 6

It is really tall for a 51 storey res-building
Old June 10th, 2006, 07:38 AM   #12
krull
In Time

Likes (Received): 58

Good for Dublin! The towers will sure change the skyline in a big way.
krull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 10:31 PM   #13
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Oops, I forgot to post these photos that I got from someone the other day.

Old June 28th, 2006, 10:37 PM   #14
plotstyled

Likes (Received): 0

be interesting to see if it happens...

the stand consisted of 3 models of this project as well as around 4 a1 posters that
are beautifully hand drawn...

I think the maximium planning application fee is 30,000 euro it has been lodged with DCC

all ill say is make the helipad a box...
plotstyled no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 10:59 PM   #15
Valia
A L.G.D.G.A.D.U.

Likes (Received): 6

it looks like great but i only see the saphes but no renders

Valia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 01:00 AM   #16
Skyman
LA Resident

Likes (Received): 1376

Nice project indeed but it's not so tall to be the best