daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old May 15th, 2004, 05:16 PM   #41
Avatar
Galactic Ruler
 
Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 6,697
Likes (Received): 507

I like the design of the building but I am sorry to say I am less than impressed with Singapore's new CBD and its location.

Aesthetically speaking it serves to hem the city in and create a city of buildings smothering Marina Bay. I don't know how they came to this decision, I guess the reclaimed land was there ready to be used BUT I personally think it a retrograde step and one that points the city down a direction of building less then perfect.

I think the city should have been built with Marina Boulevard as the boundary and they should leave the clear space that presently exists around Marina Bay vacant. What they are doing is destroying the city's appearance and appeal, the plan creates density with no thought to open space and leaves the open space behind the CBD where it serves no aesthetic purpose. The views of the skyline from Raffles and SunTech City will be abysmal, where views of the Straits once existed - will be a wall office towers. The city will now have an odd shape and will not maximise on skyline potential as it may have done if they kept the city running along the axis of the present development and road structure. One long thin CBD may have been preferable to this strange L shaped mess they are perpetuating. The city is now set to look like a pond almost surrounded by skyscrapers on every side... what a stupid decision!

To do this perfectly they would have to stop the city development on the east side of Raffles Quay and find space below the present CBD to redevelop. This IMO would have been even better an option even if a more difficult one due to developments already existing.

IMO a big mistake, and taking the city back in terms of appeal. Sure make a new CBD but putting it in the correct location might be helpful and far more appealing. I think they should have left the entire area of reclaimation free personally, to me it always added to the appeal of the existing city.

Last edited by Avatar; May 15th, 2004 at 05:27 PM.
Avatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2004, 05:26 PM   #42
huaiwei
The Monkey King
 
huaiwei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Singapore 新加坡 Singapura சிங்கப்&#2986
Posts: 11,786
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar
I like the design of the building but I am sorry to say I am less than impressed with Singapore's new CBD and its location.

Aesthetically speaking it serves to hem the city in and create a city of buildings smothering Marina Bay. I don't know how they came to this decision, I guess the reclaimed land was there ready to be used BUT I personally think it a retrograde step and one that points the city down a direction of building less then perfect.

I think the city should have been built with Marina Boulevard as the boundary and they should leave the clear space that presently exists around Marina Bay vacant. What they are doing is destroying the city's appearance and appeal, the plan creates density with no thought to open space and leaves the open space behind the CBD where it serves no aesthetic purpose. The views of the skyline from Raffles and SunTech City will be abysmal, where views of the Straits once existed - will be a wall office towers. The city will now have an odd shape and will not maximise on skyline potential as it may have done if they kept the city running along the axis of the present development and road structure. One long thin CBD may have been preferable to this strange L shaped mess they are perpetuating. To do this perfectly they would have to stop the city development on the east side of Raffles Quay and find space below the present CBD to redevelop. This IMO would have been even better an option even if a more difficult one due to developments already existing.

IMO a big mistake, and taking the city back in terms of appeal. Sure make a new CBD but putting it in the correct location might be helpful and far more appealing. I think they should have left the entire area of reclaimation free personally, to me it always added to the appeal of the existing city.
Interesting (and original) comment there. But before I make a response, I need to ascertain somethings...

Firstly, Which plan where you looking at before you came to this conclusion? Those in this thread or from other sources as well?

When you say "the plan creates density with no thought to open space and leaves the open space behind the CBD where it serves no aesthetic purpose," are you refering to the remaining expanse of the reclamed land, or to the park?

"find space below the present CBD to redevelop." I am not sure if you know what exists towards the south of the CBD?

Just to know if you are already aware of these points, in case I end up boring you with details you already know!
__________________
Majulah Singapura 前进吧,新加坡!Onward Singapore முன்னேறட்டும் சிங்கப்பூர்

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2004, 05:31 PM   #43
Avatar
Galactic Ruler
 
Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 6,697
Likes (Received): 507

I have been to Singapore and I rather them leave this land reclamation how is presently is... I like the open feeling it created when viewed from the north and I would have prefered a more compact skyline running along the present path of development... ie along Raffles Quay... knock down anything if you have too I dont care... but I'd rather this open space be left as it is. A few 400+ metre scrapers as opposed to all this spacious building would be preferable IMO

I have only been in singapore three times and as such my memory is not great of what lies south of the present CBD.

I am far from conservative in my approach to development but I see this new CBD taking shape as a shame for Singapore... if they must build a new city I'd rather it have been built somewhere else. I have seen a few images maps of the construction and planned city but I cant honestly tell you that I know which are accurate. I dont much like the new CBD engulfing the park on one side and the Marina on the other... a very poor idea in my eyes, esp when the whole thing is empty pretty much right now.

Last edited by Avatar; May 15th, 2004 at 05:37 PM.
Avatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2004, 05:33 PM   #44
RafflesCity
By Spirit
 
RafflesCity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: S I N G A P O R E
Posts: 25,909
Likes (Received): 105

Finally a fresh update!

Little changes but I see the staircase on the first floor forming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei
My sad looking ones on 7th May 2004....



Entrance to the site:

RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2004, 05:35 PM   #45
RafflesCity
By Spirit
 
RafflesCity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: S I N G A P O R E
Posts: 25,909
Likes (Received): 105

The new downtown is not only about filling it up with buildings. Generous space have been set aside for integrating parks. See the masterplans here
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=47089
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2004, 05:37 PM   #46
huaiwei
The Monkey King
 
huaiwei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Singapore 新加坡 Singapura சிங்கப்&#2986
Posts: 11,786
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar
I have been to Singapore and I rather them leave this land reclamation how is presently is... I like the open feeling it created when viewed from the north and I would have prefered a more compact skyline running along the present path of development... ie along Raffles Quay... knock down anything if you have too I dont care... but I'd rather this open space be left as it is. A few 400+ metre scrapers as opposed to all this spacious building would be preferable IMO

I have only been in singapore three times and as such my memory is not great of what lies south of the present CBD.
!!! Ok I get what you mean when you feel the open space gives it a sense of character...but when u say "knock down everything in the path of the existing development," I almost fainted! Dont you know the northern end of the CBD is our most important district in the city and the nation...the civi district! And at the south end of the CBD, is the container port! There is no way you can expand it north or south without doing REAL damage!

Well..yu cant expand west either, coz that is where Chinatown is. The entire region is protected by law from redevelopment. So the only solution was to the east...the reclaimed land? Cant be helped, I suppose, but we are just running out of space!
__________________
Majulah Singapura 前进吧,新加坡!Onward Singapore முன்னேறட்டும் சிங்கப்பூர்

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2004, 05:40 PM   #47
Avatar
Galactic Ruler
 
Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 6,697
Likes (Received): 507

Yes I thought it was the container port... and yes I did also know that your political area was directly north of the CBD, just below Raffles City. LOL I suggest you build up instead then Moving container terminals is rather difficult i guess but this would be my favoured option.

Or maybe build another city entirely out on new reclaimed land away from the present city. I will miss the character the open space that exists now provides.
Avatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2004, 05:42 PM   #48
RafflesCity
By Spirit
 
RafflesCity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: S I N G A P O R E
Posts: 25,909
Likes (Received): 105

btw the very tip of the reclaimed land facing the sea will also be developed into a maritime hub for cruise ships and vessels so that should alleviate any smothering effect in future. As you can see, a large piece of the land will still stay as open green space.





RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2004, 05:44 PM   #49
Avatar
Galactic Ruler
 
Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 6,697
Likes (Received): 507

That is nice but it's too late for the bulk of the CBD which (as in the proposed plans) is already smothering the entire bay... it reminds me of a fort surrounded by walls. I dont like it

You would want to hope the new CBD facing the view from the straits is quality because the rest of the city will become redundant in terms of photo opportunities and presence.

If they needed the space a compromise would have been to build out along Marina Boulevard and behind it... hemming the city in on only two sides.

Last edited by Avatar; May 15th, 2004 at 05:51 PM.
Avatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2004, 06:10 PM   #50
huaiwei
The Monkey King
 
huaiwei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Singapore 新加坡 Singapura சிங்கப்&#2986
Posts: 11,786
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar
Yes I thought it was the container port... and yes I did also know that your political area was directly north of the CBD, just below Raffles City. LOL I suggest you build up instead then Moving container terminals is rather difficult i guess but this would be my favoured option.

Or maybe build another city entirely out on new reclaimed land away from the present city. I will miss the character the open space that exists now provides.
Unfortunately...the "political" area (actually it is more civic in nature. It is where the supreme court, the city hall, the parliament, and plenty of museums are) is sort of sacred. The padang is one piece of real estate that will remain as grass forever.....it has been so since 1819, and will remain so in memory of our (modern) city's founder!

You might be surprised, but the southern end where the port is will indeed be moved away entirely and redeveloped...but after the reclaimed land is developed thou....
__________________
Majulah Singapura 前进吧,新加坡!Onward Singapore முன்னேறட்டும் சிங்கப்பூர்

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2004, 06:17 PM   #51
RafflesCity
By Spirit
 
RafflesCity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: S I N G A P O R E
Posts: 25,909
Likes (Received): 105

in about 2030-2040....
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2004, 06:17 PM   #52
Avatar
Galactic Ruler
 
Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 6,697
Likes (Received): 507

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei

You might be surprised, but the southern end where the port is will indeed be moved away entirely and redeveloped...but after the reclaimed land is developed thou....
Damn spam ham... that is a big shame... they should have moved the terminal 1st, built the CBD on the vacated land (leaving the flat reclaimed expanse free) and I would be happy!
Avatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2004, 06:22 PM   #53
huaiwei
The Monkey King
 
huaiwei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Singapore 新加坡 Singapura சிங்கப்&#2986
Posts: 11,786
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar
Damn spam ham... that is a big shame... they should have moved the terminal 1st, built the CBD on the vacated land (leaving the flat reclaimed expanse free) and I would be happy!
Muahahaa....its cheaper to chop down trees then removing a container terminal I suppose?

btw..have you seen this before?

__________________
Majulah Singapura 前进吧,新加坡!Onward Singapore முன்னேறட்டும் சிங்கப்பூர்

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2004, 06:31 PM   #54
Avatar
Galactic Ruler
 
Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 6,697
Likes (Received): 507

No I am yet to see it... the whole thing does make more sence in this context... I guess the old city has been relegated to no-man's land, right at the back of essentially an entire new city. I like this better than the plans above, it shows more structure and more progressed vision. Still not the perfect solution but nice to see the white cluster running south along Marina Boulevarde all the way to the water. I'm not really into the shape and the spread of the towers but I guess you cant hold back progress and in a country as limited as Singapore is with space it is expected.

Well its more balanced, a little spread out and where is that supertower in any of the other plans???

Nice Pic!
Avatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2004, 06:41 PM   #55
RafflesCity
By Spirit
 
RafflesCity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: S I N G A P O R E
Posts: 25,909
Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar
No I am yet to see it... the whole thing does make more sence in this context... I guess the old city has been relegated to no-man's land, right at the back of essentially an entire new city. I like this better than the plans above, it shows more structure and more progressed vision. Still not the perfect solution but nice to see the white cluster running south along Marina Boulevarde all the way to the water. I'm not really into the shape and the spread of the towers but I guess you cant hold back progress and in a country as limited as Singapore is with space it is expected.

Well its more balanced, a little spread out and where is that supertower in any of the other plans???

Nice Pic!
Actually that was the old planning model from 1997. The new one has been revised and is less building-intensive and like I said, provides more room for open parks that will also include residential living. Those twin supertowers were unfortunately removed from the plan and the area will now contain some 'interesting' structure, a competition being hold for it now.

RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2004, 06:56 PM   #56
huaiwei
The Monkey King
 
huaiwei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Singapore 新加坡 Singapura சிங்கப்&#2986
Posts: 11,786
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar
No I am yet to see it... the whole thing does make more sence in this context... I guess the old city has been relegated to no-man's land, right at the back of essentially an entire new city. I like this better than the plans above, it shows more structure and more progressed vision. Still not the perfect solution but nice to see the white cluster running south along Marina Boulevarde all the way to the water. I'm not really into the shape and the spread of the towers but I guess you cant hold back progress and in a country as limited as Singapore is with space it is expected.

Well its more balanced, a little spread out and where is that supertower in any of the other plans???

Nice Pic!
Hehe...that is what I guessed. What you were seeing before this was the newest revision of the downtown plans, released last year, and actually showed how the area is developed in stages. What you saw is the first stage. The "supertower" which you see in this older plan is gone thou...they decided not to break the height limit afterall.... But I suppose in return, you dont get an over-dominated bay too?

Basically, the final plan is to develop the whole bay except for the green spaces u see in the model, and not just an L shape as was shown in the newer plans. But the white cluster may be gone too. I dont see it in the newer plans. They seem to have changed the spatial configuration of the area....

Much of the region outside the L is actually for residential use. And if you arent ware, other then the current port area I mentioned, there is actually another tract of reclaimed land called Marina East, which can accomodate yet another expansion of the downtown area, and there goes another sea front view!
__________________
Majulah Singapura 前进吧,新加坡!Onward Singapore முன்னேறட்டும் சிங்கப்பூர்

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2004, 07:24 PM   #57
Avatar
Galactic Ruler
 
Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 6,697
Likes (Received): 507

If they are going to ruin the views they should go the whole hog and build the massive original proposal as above and put back those twin mega towers IMO... there is no point doing it by halves, esp so close to places like Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur which have no worries in wacking up mega towers.
Avatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2004, 08:07 PM   #58
huaiwei
The Monkey King
 
huaiwei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Singapore 新加坡 Singapura சிங்கப்&#2986
Posts: 11,786
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar
If they are going to ruin the views they should go the whole hog and build the massive original proposal as above and put back those twin mega towers IMO... there is no point doing it by halves, esp so close to places like Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur which have no worries in wacking up mega towers.
Perhaps..but there is a military airbase nearby with its runway aimed directly at the CBD!
__________________
Majulah Singapura 前进吧,新加坡!Onward Singapore முன்னேறட்டும் சிங்கப்பூர்

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2004, 05:56 PM   #59
RafflesCity
By Spirit
 
RafflesCity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: S I N G A P O R E
Posts: 25,909
Likes (Received): 105

Update
27 June 2004

The structure can now be seen over the fencing


RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2004, 01:22 AM   #60
huaiwei
The Monkey King
 
huaiwei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Singapore 新加坡 Singapura சிங்கப்&#2986
Posts: 11,786
Likes (Received): 4

Its gonna be one skinny blue box!
__________________
Majulah Singapura 前进吧,新加坡!Onward Singapore முன்னேறட்டும் சிங்கப்பூர்

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu