daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 18th, 2004, 03:27 AM   #101
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloom
for 1rq? isnt it blue?
I'm not sure what the final colour will be. Might be bluish turqoise and then there was that brown colour...

heres another view of its site from 16 Nov 04

RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2004, 01:14 PM   #102
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Likes (Received): 4

If its brown, we might as well demolish the tower.....

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2004, 01:19 PM   #103
heirloom

Likes (Received): 2

omg no brown must stay! actually the correct word is GOLDEN BRONZE... it would look like la tour montparnasse in simcity 3000!!!!!!!!

sadly i think it will be blueish as well. all other renderings make it out to be blueish. i guess golden brown is just too 'radical' to be accepted.
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2004, 01:21 PM   #104
huaiwei
The Monkey King

If you check out the first rendering..it is brown thou.

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
Old November 18th, 2004, 01:23 PM   #105
heirloom

its more accurately golden bronze

ok brown whatever i hope it'll be that colour!!
Old November 18th, 2004, 01:37 PM   #106
ignoramus

There's another rendering which gave it a clear light blue facade.
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2004, 01:46 PM   #107
heirloom

actually all other renderings make it blue
Old November 18th, 2004, 01:56 PM   #108
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Brown isnt my cup of tea, especially when it is a plain tall box.

Give me blue anytime.

Old November 18th, 2004, 02:37 PM   #109
heirloom

hrmm notice in the brown rendering the base has more horizontal lines...? i think they probably changed that design to the blue one.
Old November 18th, 2004, 02:52 PM   #110
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Well....its a very preliminery-looking model thou, so I doubt it is binding in any way...

Old November 18th, 2004, 02:56 PM   #111
heirloom

it seems to be supported by the rendering from keppel land's website
Old November 18th, 2004, 03:09 PM   #112
huaiwei
The Monkey King

The blue-coloured rendering appeared later then the one in keppel's site.

Old November 19th, 2004, 05:33 AM   #113
huaiwei
The Monkey King

STI Home > Latest > News

Nov 19, 10.26 am (Singapore time)

Raffles Quay worksite collapses, 2 dead

AN ACCIDENT at a construction worksite at 1 Raffles Quay has left two workers dead.

A scaffolding near the top of the building collapsed and two workers, a Singaporean and an Indian national, were killed. The Singapore Civil Defence Force had to remove them from the debris, their bodies lifted by a crane and lowered to the ground.

It is unsure if the workers were on the scaffolding when it collapsed.

Old November 19th, 2004, 05:35 AM   #114
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 52

What!?
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2004, 05:41 AM   #115
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Posted: 19 November 2004 1125 hrs

Two workers fall to their deaths at Collyer Quay construction site
By S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

SINGAPORE : Two workers have died in an industrial accident at the construction site at Collyer Quay for One Raffles Quay, next to the NTUC Centre at One Marina Boulevard.

The Singapore Civil Defence Force says the two workers fell from a height of 70 metres. It is believed that they died on the spot.

MediaCorp News understands that part of a scaffolding gave way, resulting in the accident. The two victims are a Singaporean Chinese and an Indian national.

The entire construction site has about 600 workers; 60 were working near the area where the accident took place. The SCDF spokesman says all other workers have been accounted for and it has completed operations on the ground.

There have been several high profile industrial accidents this year which have claimed several lives.

These include the Nicoll Highway Collapse, where four people died; the accident at Fusionpolis at Ayer Rajah, which resulted in the deaths of two people; and a shipyard fire at Keppel Shipyard, which claimed seven lives in May. - CNA

Old November 19th, 2004, 03:55 PM   #116
huaiwei
The Monkey King

WORKSITE ACCIDENT: The body of Mr Ang Chee Kong, a 29-year-old Singaporean construction site supervisor, is lowered by crane to the ground. He and Indian national Sundaramoorthy Vijayan, 26, were killed when a scaffolding collapsed at their Raffles Quay worksite. - LAU FOOK KONG

Old November 19th, 2004, 04:08 PM   #117
ignoramus

Its so depressing, just saw pics of the family members on tv.

On a lighter note, at least we known construction has progressed up to the 17th floor, since thats where the tragedy happened.
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2004, 04:18 PM   #118
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Well....the dead Singaporean was just married last year, and his wife is 6 months pregnant.

Poor child....

Old November 20th, 2004, 09:52 AM   #119
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Nov 20, 2004
Two workers fall to their deaths

Site manager and assistant plunge 12 storeys down One Raffles Quay

By Ben Nadarajan

TWO construction workers were killed yesterday morning when a metal structure they were on gave way and plummeted more than 12 storeys down the side of an unfinished building near Shenton Way.

Site manager Ang Chee Kong, 29, smashed head-first into a metal scaffolding on the fourth storey, fracturing his skull.

His assistant, Indian national Sundramoorthy Vijayan, 26, landed on the third-floor scaffolding. He suffered multiple injuries to his head and limbs.

Both men died on the spot.

The two workers were standing about 70m above ground, on the 16th storey of One Raffles Quay, an uncompleted 50-storey commercial building, when the accident occurred at 9am.

Work on the building, which began two years ago, is due to be completed in 2006.

According to industry experts, the structure that collapsed yesterday acts as a mould to extend the walls of buildings under construction.

It measures 7m by 6m, and weighs about three tonnes.

A crane was hauling the structure up to begin constructing the 17th storey of the building when it suddenly fell, sending the two men to their deaths.

The main contractors for the project, Japanese firm Obayashi Corporation, said it is investigating the incident.

The company's safety manager, Mr Michael Cheng, said there was some confusion as to what happened, because the men were not supposed to be on the structure. The usual practice is to clear everyone from the structure before it is moved, he said.

'It's a very sad incident, and we will try to compensate the families,' he added.

Yesterday, rescuers had to pick their way gingerly around the structure, for fear of causing another collapse.

It took them an hour to retrieve both bodies and lower them to ground level.

The two men, who had worked together for seven years, were described as inseparable by co-workers.

Mr Ang had married just a year ago. His wife is eight months pregnant, and is due to give birth 'any day' now, said a relative, who did not want to be identified.

Mr Sundramoorthy, meanwhile, was to be married in January, and was already planning for his first trip home since he arrived in Singapore in 1997.

The Manpower Ministry has ordered work at the site to stop while it investigates the incident. About 60 other workers were working in the affected part of the building when the accident happened, but all escaped unhurt.

In all, about 600 workers were at the site yesterday morning. All have been accounted for.

Old December 3rd, 2004, 05:14 AM   #120
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 105

Site plan

RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote