daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction

Projects and Construction The latest news!

Old June 11th, 2006, 04:43 PM   #1
S.Yorks Capital

Likes (Received): 1

Official Dublin Thread

There does'nt seem to be an official Dublin yet this city seems to be buzzing with activity and devolpment so I thought we could talk about all of the Dublin devolpments here.
S.Yorks Capital no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 11th, 2006, 05:00 PM   #2
wjfox
Save the bees!

Likes (Received): 5321

Dublin's current tallest is only 59m, unless you count the Spire of Dublin which is 120m.

There are several 100m+ towers in planning though, including a possible 170m tower mentioned in the other thread.
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2006, 03:35 PM   #3
Keano

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox2002
Dublin's current tallest is only 59m, unless you count the Spire of Dublin which is 120m.

There are several 100m+ towers in planning though, including a possible 170m tower mentioned in the other thread.
finally it looks very likely that 2 of the 100m+ towers will commence in 2007, U2 tower and Point tower as part of the point village. As far as I am aware they have commenced constrcution of the underground carpark for the point village with the tower to commence construction in early 2007. U2 tower should start in late 2006/early 2007. But we will have to see! This is Dublin and seeing is believing when it comes to skyscrapers!

Hueston gate (137.7m to spire) will not start until 2008 but should eventually become Dublin's tallest.

The Digital Hub site developemnt with tallest tower of 171m is extremely unlikely to go ahead but there is potential that a smaller tower could be buily considering the price tag for the site and the numerous uses of such a building..
Keano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 03:15 AM   #4
Andrew

Likes (Received): 23

Well if you want an official Dublin thread then you've gotta give us something to talk about. Why dont you edit the first post and put a development summary of everything going on there, that way there's actually something to talk about and people can see what's happening in the city.
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 11:39 AM   #5
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 79

I've got some pics of the 171m proposal that someone sent me, along with a bit of other stuff. I'll post them soon.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 12:10 PM   #6
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Manor Park

Old June 25th, 2006, 12:11 PM   #7
S.Yorks Capital

Likes (Received): 1

Thats a good little cluster.
S.Yorks Capital no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 12:12 PM   #8
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

A proposed tower, have never seen it before but looks good and I hope it gets built

Nice apartments

Another building

Old June 25th, 2006, 12:17 PM   #9
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Now, I don't know if these pics are all of the same development but I know the first two are the same and are somewhere near heuston station (I say the construction site the other day)

Model:

BTW, see the buildings on the right in the last pic? Well, pretty much every development in this country looks exactly like that, one bottom floor, then a few normal floors that are usually some colour, then a setback where there's one floor, and then a roof sticking out as shown
Old June 25th, 2006, 12:22 PM   #10
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

A few more pics:

Old June 26th, 2006, 10:28 AM   #11
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 146

Great pics malec!

I like the overall shape of the 170m tower
Newcastle Guy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 04:19 PM   #12
Keano

Likes (Received): 0

I would love to know where those models are on display...

Nice one Malec!
Keano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 12:38 AM   #13
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

I don't know where this is since I don't know Dublin very well but here's a pic, when I was in the bus I remember seeing this sign.

Anyway here's why I think the Manor Park proposal should NOT be built. It's in a historical area and would just end up like the tour montparnasse with a little brother.
Old November 19th, 2006, 02:58 PM   #14
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

A few weeks old but anyway:

Tuesday, October 31, 2006
Planning permission for The Point Village in Dublin%u2019s Docklands has been granted by the Dublin Docklands Development Authority (DDDA). Full scale construction work has now commenced on the %u20AC800 million development. The planning permission covers the 23,000 square metre shopping centre, hotel, car park and cinema complex. It is expected that it will create 2,000 permanent jobs and is not dependent on any state funding or grants.

%u201CAlready we are in negotiation with anchor tenants as well as a number of hotel chains. We are planning to start signing contracts with a host of retail chains over the coming months,%u201D explained Harry Crosbie, Chairman, Point Village Ltd. %u201CThe Point Village is an opportunity that will never come again %u2013 a combination of residential and entertainment schemes, a ready catchment area of professionals and attractions that will attract a footfall of millions each year.%u201D

The Point Village will cover a 12 acre site surrounding the Point Theatre and include a the 23,000 square metre Shopping Centre, 13,000m2 of Offices, a 250 bed Hotel with 20 serviced apartments and a 12 screen multiplex cinema. The development will have as its signature building %u201CThe Watchtower%u201D which, along with the U2 Tower, will form a maritime gateway to the city of Dublin. This 120 metre tower will include 500 m2 of office space, luxury apartments and an exterior rooftop bar and restaurant offering panoramic views over Dublin Bay and the city serviced by glass sided elevators which will run outside the building.

%u201CIt has always been envisaged that The Point Village would provide key retail services to the entire Docklands area,%u201D Paul Maloney, Chief Executive, Dublin Docklands Development Authority pointed out. %u201CIt will also draw significant numbers of visitors to the area from across Dublin and Ireland as well as internationally.%u201D

Access for shoppers and tourists will simplicity itself with the Luas bringing them into a new station in the middle of the Point Village. The site will be serviced by six Quality Bus Corridors and the proposed Macken St Bridge by Calatrava across the Liffey. The Dublin Port Tunnel starts right beside the development and the Liffey Voyage, a river taxi, will stop nearby. For those who wish to drive ample parking facilities will be provided in the 3 floor underground car park which has a capacity for 1200 vehicles.

It is expected that The Point Village will be one of the busiest shopping precincts in the city with over 45,000 people living in the Docklands alone as well as the coastal wealth belt. The Point Theatre, which is to be expanded to 15,000 capacity laid out in the style of a curved Roman amphitheatre which will be one of the great venues in Europe, allowing the intimacy of a small venue, will cater for 2 million visitors each year, while a double size Vicar Street is also planned for the development.

Hamilton Osborne King has been appointed to handle all enquiries regarding premises.

http://www.pointvillage.ie/

I don't particularly like that bulge at the top:

Old November 20th, 2006, 09:22 AM   #15
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Likes (Received): 47

Manor Park looks brilliant! I'm jealous... wish we could have that in the UK!
Old November 20th, 2006, 10:49 AM   #16
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

That's not getting built
Old November 20th, 2006, 06:48 PM   #17
Andrew

Likes (Received): 23

Some interesting looking projects there, it'd be good to hear more about what's going on in Dublin as well as the rest of Ireland. Not just high-rise stuff as well. Some of the medium and low rise stuff posted looks interesting.
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 07:06 PM   #18
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

There's a ton of projects in dublin actually, all lowrise stuff though. When I was there last weekend there were a few times when you could see about 15 cranes at once