daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 16th, 2006, 03:08 PM   #21
Demetrius
The Besieger

Likes (Received): 313

Ι' m sure that if I come to Didima for a visit, all local guides will tell me that those are ruins of roman descent, that this temple was dedicated to Apollo, a Greek God, that is not exactly of Greek origin, because there existed an "Anatolian" god called "Appollunas", which of course is the original god and of course before the Romans, Asia Minor was inhabited by "Anatolians" or "Hittites" or whatever, which of course used Greek language (the inscriptions still remain alas!), because greek was the "lingua franca" of that era.

I know some turkish forumers will label my post as 'flame", but I just can't get over the fact, how insecure they feel about ancient Greek heritage in modern day Turkey, and how a whole campaign is been conducted for decades now from various turkish sources, to strip anything greek off Asia Minor, in favour of an "Anatolian" civilisation.

Thank god the Italians are more sensible and they do not have any problem to call, even themselves, some parts of southern Italy as "Magna Graecia", and feel honored to have so profund ties with the hellenic civilisation.
And I ask my fellow turkish forumers: Does this heritage in Italy constitute any threat for that nation? Why can't it be the same with Turkey?
Demetrius no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2006, 03:20 PM   #22
icy

Likes (Received): 37

I looked at the Imaret thread in your forums..It gave me the idea that you feel insecure to tell that was a Turkish structure..the info was hidden..In our threads the Greek history is mentioned..I think you may look at your own threads again..At least this thread opened was insecure to mention the location of this structure..

Click here

Last edited by icy; June 16th, 2006 at 03:28 PM.
icy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 03:40 PM   #23
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS
Ομόθρησκον

Dude what you are talking about? What info was hidden?

"Τό στάδιον τῶν ἀρετῶν ἠνέωκται, οἱ βουλόμενοι ἀθλῆσαι εἰσέλθετε.
"

† ΙΧΘΥΣ

KONSTANTINOUPOLIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 03:41 PM   #24
Christos7

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by icy
Where it is located?Where is Didyma?how to go there?...I think the people who open this thread will get confused where the structure is cause the title does not make sense...you forgot! to tell them to visit Turkey to see this structure?Let me help you

Hey Mr. Nationalist, instead of trying to ruin another thread how about you read more carefully:

Quote:
The Greeks built the Temple of Apollo at Didyma, Turkey (about 300 bc).

So relax and try not to ruin another topic.
"Men of Athens... Had I not greatly at heart the common welfare of Hellas I should not have come to tell you; but I am myself Hellene by descent, and I would not willingly see Hellas exchange freedom for slavery..." - Alexander I of Macedonia

(Herodotos, 9.45)
Christos7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #25
LEAFS FANATIC
Μολών λαβέ

Likes (Received): 1359

Quote:
Originally Posted by icy

I looked at the Imaret thread in your forums..It gave me the idea that you feel insecure to tell that was a Turkish structure..the info was hidden..In our threads the Greek history is mentioned..I think you may look at your own threads again..At least this thread opened was insecure to mention the location of this structure..

It was clearly mentioned that the Ancient Greek temple lies in Didyma which is in modern day Turkey.

Where is the problem?
LEAFS FANATIC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 04:03 PM   #26
Ozcan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge
There are ancient Greek monuments in Turkey, Albania, France, Spain, Syria, Lybia, Egypt...... all of which are an important culturally to their country's identity. However, the fact remains that they are Greek.
Sure they are Greek chicagogeorge, anyone who does not acknowledge that is insane.
Ozcan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 04:09 PM   #27
icy

Likes (Received): 37

No one is saying this is Turkish ok?.I had mentioned this as an ancient Greek structure before...I am not ruining the thread..I asked your friend to tell where it is.It is hard to understand where it is located from the info..You should talk to your friend Demetrius before making comments off topic..

I had opened a title 2 years ago about Didyma and wrote these..

Quote:
Also called DIDYMI, or BRANCHIDAE, ancient sanctuary and seat of an oracle of Apollo, located south of Miletus in modern Turkey. Before being plundered and burned by the Persians (c. 494 BC), the sanctuary was in the charge of the Branchids, a priestly caste named after Branchus, a favorite youth of Apollo. After Alexander the Great conquered Miletus (334), the oracle was re sanctified; the city administered the cult, annually electing a prophet. About 300 BC the Milesians began to build a new temple, intended to be the largest in the "Greek world". The annual festival held there, the Didymeia, became Panhellenic in the beginning of the 2nd century BC. Excavations made between 1905 and 1930 revealed all of the uncompleted new temple and some carved pieces of the earlier temple and statues

Link

http://skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=174609

Click here

Last edited by icy; June 16th, 2006 at 04:20 PM.
icy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #28
Efes
EFES

Likes (Received): 0

Guys, I'm so confused. Who said ,in the first place, that this was a Turkish structure? Maybe I'm missing something. I think it's just a simple misunderstanding but why do we have to argue about stupid stuff all the time.
Efes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 06:04 PM   #29
Arpels
Αλέξανδρος

Likes (Received): 378

vary ellegant with that staircase around the temple
Arpels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 08:49 PM   #30
Christos7

Quote:
Originally Posted by icy
I asked your friend to tell where it is.

icy, it is clearly stated in the info that this is in Turkey. I don't see what the problem is.

If you would like to post a map, go ahead, the ruins are in Turkey, and Leafs says that in his post. I don't see where the problem is.
"Men of Athens... Had I not greatly at heart the common welfare of Hellas I should not have come to tell you; but I am myself Hellene by descent, and I would not willingly see Hellas exchange freedom for slavery..." - Alexander I of Macedonia

(Herodotos, 9.45)
Old June 16th, 2006, 09:42 PM   #31
Istanbullu
Made in Turkey

Likes (Received): 159

We didn't built those ancient temples nor you modern day Greeks did...

and let me add that I don't feel insecure when someone mentions the ancient Greek heritage in my country. I also don't see modern day Greece as the representative of the ancient Greek civilisation. Ancient Greece and the modern day orthodox Greece are two different civilisations in my book.
Istanbullu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 10:16 PM   #32
LEAFS FANATIC
Μολών λαβέ

Likes (Received): 1359

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istanbullu
Of course we did! Don't you know that we have time travel machines in Greece and we go back in time regularly to biold temples? In fact, Christos and I were in Ephessos last week inscribing ancient Greek into some of teh columns....

Quote:
and let me add that I don't feel insecure when someone mentions the ancient Greek heritage in my country. I also don't see modern day Greece as the representative of the ancient Greek civilisation. Ancient Greece and the modern day orthodox Greece are two different civilisations in my book.

ahahaha....your insecurity of Greek achievement is so laughable and pathetic. Grow up little boy. It is statements like this that show how young and immature you are.

Do you say the same about every country, then, that had ancient civilizations? Do you say the same about ancient Rome and modern day Catholic Italians? Or how about ancient Egyptians and modern day Muslim Egyptians? hahahaha....how pathetic...
LEAFS FANATIC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 10:40 PM   #33
Istanbullu
Made in Turkey

I can understand that you want to enjoy the fame of ancient Greeks but I simply can't see much connection between ancient Greeks and modern day Greeks.

We are not the representetive of Ottoman Empire, Italians are not the representetive of Roman Empire, Modern day Egyptians are not the representetive of ancient Egypt etc.

So yes I say the same... That's how I see things..
Old June 16th, 2006, 11:02 PM   #34
Ozcan
BANNED

Quote:

I personally consider the Ottoman empire a Turkish empire in the same way as I consider ancient Hellenic civilization a Greek civilization. Why do we take pride in Ottoman buildings and the Ottoman empire in general? Because it was Turkish in essence. I wish everybody a nice fight.. my last post in this topic.

Last edited by Ozcan; June 16th, 2006 at 11:11 PM.
Old June 16th, 2006, 11:21 PM   #35
Christos7

yeah, it's such a typical response. But who cares anymore at this point. People who feel threatened by certain things feel the need to degrade them, it makes themselves feel better.

to each their own.

I guess this thread is destined to fail, so let nature take it's course. lol

singing off in that 3,000+ year language spoken by those who built those monuments ....

άντε γεια

(Herodotos, 9.45)
Old June 16th, 2006, 11:34 PM   #36
Istanbullu
Made in Turkey

@ozcan

So you say modern day Turkey and Ottoman Empire are the same? You want me to believe this.

and you Christos, the similar question goes to you too? Just because that you borrowed the same language you want me believe that you guys are the representitive of ancient Greeks?

I'm sorry when I look at modern day Greece I can not see any similarities with the ancient Greece except the language and the ruins at some of your cities.

and it wasn't even you that promoted the gifts of ancient Greeks: democracy but it was other nations like French, Brit ..
Old June 16th, 2006, 11:41 PM   #37
Ozcan
BANNED

Quote:
@ozcan

So you say modern day Turkey and Ottoman Empire are the same? You want me to believe this.

and you Christos, the similar question goes to you too? Just because that you borrowed the same language you want me believe that you guys are the representitive of ancient Greeks?

I'm sorry when I look at modern day Greece I can not see any similarities with the ancient Greece except the language and the ruins at some of your cities.

and it wasn't even you that promoted the gifts of ancient Greeks: democracy but it was other nations like French, Brit ..
I didn't want to respond, but here is a final answer. I see your point believe me (races have been mixed etc.), but if the Ottoman empire wasn't a Turkish empire, then we wouldn't be so proud of their achievements, am I wrong?

EDIT: Whether it's wrong or not, when I think about the Romans I think about Italians and Italy too.
Old June 16th, 2006, 11:56 PM   #38
Christos7

The Ancient Greeks are a chapter in Greek civilazation.

You have Proto-Greek civilization, Ancient Greek civilaztion, then you have Roman-Greek civilization, then you have medival Byzantine-Greek civilization, then you have Ottoman-Greek civilization, and then you have Modern-Greek civilization. They are all connected to each other whether you like it or not. We did not borrow any language, it has been contiounously spoken for 3,000+ years. It's not 100% the exact same language as it was from the beginning either, nor would common sense say it would be. If we spoke 100% Ancient Greek, had nothing but Ancient Greek style architecture, believed in 12 gods, walked around in robes and lived our lives the same exact way as lived 2,000 years ago it would make it more fishy to me than accurate. It would be fake. Greek civilization is something connected and continous for thousands of years. I don't expect to be exactly like them. And how are you to judge what connections there are between then and now? Do you live in Greece? Did you study ancient Greece and live and take in modern Greece to see for yourself, or are you speaking purely on a superficial bases? Do you even have a leg to stand on in the issue, whether you are pro or against? How much do you really know about the Ancients and how they acted? How much do you know about the Ancient Greeks being the ones who accepted Christianity? How much do you know about Byzantine Greeks preserving and teaching (and even effecting religion itself) Ancient Greek culture/philosophy? How much do you know about those priests preserving it in Ottoman times? About Greeks fleeing Constantinople and bringing with them those concepts and haveing influence in the renaissance on western europe back to those ideals of the Ancient Greeks? Have you studied all these things to know and have a basis to speak on or are you just saying what you would like to believe? In the end, Greece is definately the heir to Ancient Greece, and Byzantine Greece and on and on. It doesn't mean we are 100% that, we are nothing but the continuation of what Greek civilization is. We are the children and the current chapter in history. Our kids will be the next one, our grandfathers were the previous. Infact show me one country that can connect itself so closely to all of the chapters that make up Greek history and then I will 100% agree with you that we are not their heirs. Democracy and all these other things does not make one Greek, there were Greeks who were 100% anti-democracy, even when it was created itself. Does this mean those Greeks were not Greek also? What defines a Greek? It's much more complicated and in depth than a simple preconcieved opinion stemming from what you want to believe in whether you know or not. Greeks are not 100% pure blooded, or pure culture, or pure language, nor would one think we are, it's almost impossible. However it does not mean we aren't the heir of those people before us....

(Herodotos, 9.45)

Last edited by Christos7; June 17th, 2006 at 12:02 AM.
Old June 17th, 2006, 12:02 AM   #39
Istanbullu
Made in Turkey

You guys don't get my drift but it's ok, I guess we have to agree to disagree...
Old June 17th, 2006, 12:05 AM   #40
3tmk
Rusty Robot

Is this back again?
How hard is it to accept that this is an ancient Greek structure located in modern day Turkey?
But back to the point, Apollo was worshiped by many, but it seems to me that a lot of his temples are located the eastern shores of the Aegian. Any sense to what I'm saying?

Tags
classic europe