daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 17th, 2006, 12:10 AM   #41
Christos7

Likes (Received): 2

Yes, you are right, and it's not that big of an issue.... we seem to have gone off topic again (this time I am guilty of it) but this topic is doomed for failure anyway.
"Men of Athens... Had I not greatly at heart the common welfare of Hellas I should not have come to tell you; but I am myself Hellene by descent, and I would not willingly see Hellas exchange freedom for slavery..." - Alexander I of Macedonia

(Herodotos, 9.45)
Christos7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2006, 12:14 AM   #42
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tmk
Is this back again?
How hard is it to accept that this is an ancient Greek structure located in modern day Turkey?
But back to the point, Apollo was worshiped by many, but it seems to me that a lot of his temples are located the eastern shores of the Aegian. Any sense to what I'm saying?
eh, as you see, when the fight started the peole who called you before don't call you immiditelly, although there was not any fight. I don't know why! any idea?
Kuvvaci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2006, 12:22 AM   #43
VelesHomais

Likes (Received): 5031

Ancient Greece = Modern Greece
Ottomans = Turkey
VelesHomais no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2006, 08:04 AM   #44
Prometheus

Likes (Received): 9

I guess it would be a bad time to state that I have no made a post in this topic till now, and low and behold the same problems have arisen.

So the constants have to be examined. They are: Icy, Kuvacci, Istanbullu etc.
Old June 17th, 2006, 11:23 AM   #45
Istanbullu
Made in Turkey

Likes (Received): 159

I will ofcourse post in a thread that is related to Turkey.
Istanbullu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 07:32 PM   #46
neorion
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istanbullu
I can understand that you want to enjoy the fame of ancient Greeks but I simply can't see much connection between ancient Greeks and modern day Greeks.
Then you need to open your eyes buddy.
neorion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 11:30 PM   #47
Animo
I'm Watching You

Likes (Received): 158

Regarding the temple it must have been a wonderful site before its destruction.
Animo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 03:46 PM   #48
Demetrius
The Besieger

Likes (Received): 319

Please look at this thread as a token of what I wrote a few posts before...

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=353550

Does anywhere the word "Greek" or "Hellenic" appear? Who were those people who founded Miletus along with so many other colonies all over the Mediterrenean? And what is exactly this "Anatolian-Thracian History" that another poster mentions?
I do not like to sound like a hardliner nationalist here, but we are talking about culture!
Demetrius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 06:20 PM   #49
CityZen
Uchi Papā has You

Likes (Received): 3

Didyma/Turkey; August, 2006; from my camera:

Old August 28th, 2006, 06:21 PM   #50
CityZen
Uchi Papā has You

Likes (Received): 3

Old September 25th, 2008, 04:41 AM   #51
Vespanation

Likes (Received): 0

Miletus--->Didyma - The Sacred Way

Can you still walk from Miletus to Didyma along the Sacred Way, or has it been destroyed over the last 2000+ years? I've seen photos of portions of the Way, but can you walk the whole trip along it?

Thanks,
Paul B.
Vespanation no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 03:11 PM   #52
Leofold

Likes (Received): 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burislav View Post
Ancient Greece = Modern Greece
Ottomans = Turkey
Wow, what an expert..

Ancestors of humankind = Adam & Eve
Homeland of humankind = Africa
Leofold no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #53
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1327

Beautiful.
The Greeks gave Western culture so much.
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 06:08 PM   #54
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leofold View Post
Wow, what an expert..

Ancestors of humankind = Adam & Eve
Homeland of humankind = Africa
Not everyone shares that opinion.
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 11:57 PM   #55
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istanbullu View Post
We didn't built those ancient temples nor you modern day Greeks did...

and let me add that I don't feel insecure when someone mentions the ancient Greek heritage in my country. I also don't see modern day Greece as the representative of the ancient Greek civilisation. Ancient Greece and the modern day orthodox Greece are two different civilisations in my book.
Why would anyone deny a religious evolution/shift of an ethnos? That doesn't remove their cultural identity.

Modern Greeks are the descentants of Ancient Greeks, the same way that Italians are the descentants of Romans. Modern day Greeks grow up speaking Greek (Greeks of Cyprus speak a dialect of Koinee Greek), are raised listening to Aesopus stories, learn Ancient Greek and study Ancient-Medieval-Modern Greek literature. If they are not the same civlization with simply a different religion then there isn't a single nation with a connection to any ancient civilization which is of course gravely and grossly erroneous. Nations evolve but they remain the same nations.

If you don't think the same for the Ottomans and Turks then it is your right because you are a Turkish national, it concerns your country and national identity. I fully accept and respect that!

But do NOT impose your views about the relation of Ancient and Modern Greeks or present them as scientific facts because they are far from it. Modern Greeks like Byzantine Greeks where the descendants of Ancient Greeks. Deal with it.

如果希腊国民继续信阴谋论,外资救世主的,不为自己的行为负责, 他们会灭亡。

人は何かの犠牲なしに何も得ることはできない。何かを得るためには同等の代価が必要になる。それが、生活における等価交換の原則だ。その頃僕らは、それが世界の真実だと信じていた。時間は、最も貴重な資源である。だから、誰の時間もあなたは無駄にしてはいけないし、誰もが他の人の時間を無駄にしないでください。

Last edited by WhiteMagick; February 8th, 2009 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling mistakes.
WhiteMagick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 09:03 PM   #56
mykonos77
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Well said.

BTW. Someone who has visited this temple, is the word 'Greek' mentioned any where on the whole site?
mykonos77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 09:13 PM   #57
LEAFS FANATIC
Μολών λαβέ

Likes (Received): 1366

Nope. Because Turks are too afraid to accept the fact that the vast majority of their archeological past along their Aegean coast is GREEK.

As Whitemagick said, "deal with it".
LEAFS FANATIC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 09:54 PM   #58
Wazzup
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

The grecos had their time.Now it is over.If i compare ancient time with today i doubt if they are the same people like in ancient time.Fact is ancient time would laugh his pants off if it would see the "day after tomorrow" .You must look into the future and must forget how better life was in ancient time
Wazzup no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 03:26 AM   #59
LEAFS FANATIC
Μολών λαβέ

Likes (Received): 1366

That is not the point. Not giving credit to the RIGHTFUL owners of something is historically wrong and innacurate and WREAKS of insecurity.

Let me give you an example: In Athens and many parts of Greece there are countless ancient monuments that were built by the Romans. I don't care if ancient romans are not the same as today's (I do, but for morons like you I will entertain your stupid theory)and we can both agree that there are no romans in Greece today. HERE IS THE KICKER THOUGH: At EACH monument in Greece, it is CLEARLY indicated and described that the monument was built by the ROMANS....not the Greeks, the ROMANS. Following that is a description of which emperor commissioned the works and how long it took to build the monument.

You see, that is the difference between a nation (Greece) that knows its past and the contributions of other peoples (in this example, the Romans) and a nations like yours (Turkey) that hides the truth.

Case closed.
LEAFS FANATIC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #60
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

I showed a considerable respect in this threat to Turks but this requires a reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzup View Post
The grecos had their time.Now it is over.If i compare ancient time with today i doubt if they are the same people like in ancient time.Fact is ancient time would laugh his pants off if it would see the "day after tomorrow" .You must look into the future and must forget how better life was in ancient time
On the contrary today's modern Greek have many things that would make their ancestors proud but considering your bias I wouldn't expect you to know them.

If Modern day Turks are not the continuation of Ottomans what are modern Turks proud of? The minority polgroms, the human rights violations, Ergenekon, the oppresion of the Kurds or the Islamist-ruled state which contradicts the principles of Ataturk? (all of which are not Greek perceptions of Turkey but EU and historical ones). Before you point the finger look at yourself in the mirror.

如果希腊国民继续信阴谋论,外资救世主的,不为自己的行为负责, 他们会灭亡。

人は何かの犠牲なしに何も得ることはできない。何かを得るためには同等の代価が必要になる。それが、生活における等価交換の原則だ。その頃僕らは、それが世界の真実だと信じていた。時間は、最も貴重な資源である。だから、誰の時間もあなたは無駄にしてはいけないし、誰もが他の人の時間を無駄にしないでください。

Last edited by WhiteMagick; April 10th, 2009 at 04:30 PM.
WhiteMagick no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic europe