daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 13th, 2006, 07:55 AM   #1
Joel que

Likes (Received): 42

russia to torn down rossiya hotel

Moscow okay plan to demolish rossiya hotel.the hotel was built 40 years ago.containing 3000 rooms.making it the biggest hotel in the world.
any word what going to built in the lot?
Joel que no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2006, 08:10 AM   #2
Oriolus
OzScrapers Moderator

Likes (Received): 1520

Yikes! At least it'll be no great loss to the architechural world. Check out Russia Hotel on Emporis - there's also a link to an article about it's demolition. Apparentely the hotel closed at the end of last year.

Visit me on flickr
Oriolus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 10:11 AM   #3
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6819

several floors already demolished on southeastern and northwestern sides. a new lowrise district will be rebuilt on its place, following old zaryad'ye plan.
Old June 13th, 2006, 11:58 AM   #4
Joel que

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth
several floors already demolished on southeastern and northwestern sides. a new lowrise district will be rebuilt on its place, following old zaryad'ye plan.
someone compare it fall of berlin wall,the end of the era.anyway the hotel occupy what is consider a prime lot.
Joel que no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 03:05 PM   #5
coth
pride leader

9 june. posted today by jst.

Old June 13th, 2006, 05:05 PM   #6
Varenukha
London, UK

Likes (Received): 1

It will almost be sad to see this one go - I stayed there in 1998, and as a testament to crap architecture, crap facilities, lousy customer service and institutionalised organised crime, it can't be beat. I just hope they build something worthy of the memory of the scores of old buildings they razed to the ground in order to build it in the first place.
Varenukha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 05:24 PM   #7
JohnnyMass
Whatever

Likes (Received): 1493

ugly as hell!!! i won't be sad to see it go!
Old June 13th, 2006, 05:55 PM   #8
Spearman
NWO Henchman

Likes (Received): 638

Not a nice building, but lowrise district? Why tear down one eyesore, only to replace it with another?

A bureaucrat is a device for turning coffee into frustration.
Spearman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 06:34 PM   #9
coth
pride leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varenukha
It will almost be sad to see this one go - I stayed there in 1998, and as a testament to crap architecture, crap facilities, lousy customer service and institutionalised organised crime, it can't be beat. I just hope they build something worthy of the memory of the scores of old buildings they razed to the ground in order to build it in the first place.
most of hotel was upgraded in 90's. small part left in about 2 stars specially for people who wasn't able to allow more. as for organised crime - tell fairy tales to someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearman
Not a nice building, but lowrise district? Why tear down one eyesore, only to replace it with another?
another eyesore?? what you talking about. before end of 1930's there was traditional east slavic lowrise district. it is center of moscow. so it is absolutely correct way to rebuilt the district and it is supported by everyone.

old zaryad'ye

Old June 13th, 2006, 06:54 PM   #10
Varenukha
London, UK

[QUOTE=coth]most of hotel was upgraded in 90's. small part left in about 2 stars specially for people who wasn't able to allow more. as for organised crime - tell fairy tales to someone else.

Fairy tales? You are joking? Maybe times have changed since I was last in Moscow, but in the late 90's the Rossiya was known for links to organised crime, and you couldn't pick up a copy of Izvestia without reading of another hotel manager who had been "retired" from his post. Or maybe all the squareheads in black leather in the reception just liked the coffee...
Old June 13th, 2006, 06:56 PM   #11
Varenukha
London, UK

Smashing pictures of old Moscow, BTW Coth
Old June 13th, 2006, 07:11 PM   #12
coth
pride leader

[QUOTE=Varenukha]
Quote:
most of hotel was upgraded in 90's. small part left in about 2 stars specially for people who wasn't able to allow more. as for organised crime - tell fairy tales to someone else.

Fairy tales? You are joking? Maybe times have changed since I was last in Moscow, but in the late 90's the Rossiya was known for links to organised crime, and you couldn't pick up a copy of Izvestia without reading of another hotel manager who had been "retired" from his post. Or maybe all the squareheads in black leather in the reception just liked the coffee...
so all your knowledges came from story in newspaper, written by journalist who has heard that someone else heard story about it...?
Old June 14th, 2006, 01:55 AM   #13
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3700

Sad! They could have rebuilt it to a Las Vegas style luxury hotel with a USSR theme instead...

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 11:53 AM   #14
Varenukha
London, UK

[QUOTE=coth]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varenukha
so all your knowledges came from story in newspaper, written by journalist who has heard that someone else heard story about it...?
I know little spats like this are thoroughly boring for SSC forum-ers, but...... since you ask, yes I do get some of my information from newspapers. And from direct experience of living in Moscow and St Petes. And from business contacts and friends I have had in Russia for 10 years. Sounds like you are a Russian citizen, so I yield to your greater knowledge, but I think you are substantially in denial if you believe that Moscow has no organised crime problem. Hell - it's in your face as soon as you get off the plan and need to get a cab from Scheremetyevo!
Old June 14th, 2006, 10:57 PM   #15
Spearman
NWO Henchman

Likes (Received): 638

Quote:

another eyesore?? what you talking about. before end of 1930's there was traditional east slavic lowrise district. it is center of moscow. so it is absolutely correct way to rebuilt the district and it is supported by everyone.

old zaryad'ye
They're gonna retro design everything? Because, I know the local residents always fight for the smallest buildings (a process known as "nimbyism"), but imo (and this is ofc only my opinion) NO lowrise district I've seen to date involving modern architecture has been beautiful. Some tolerable, some bad, no really good. Single buildings can ofc be nice, but in Europe, all new large scale lowrise developments turn out to be endless rows of faceless shacks hiding behind and killing each other. But hey; please prove me wrong!

A bureaucrat is a device for turning coffee into frustration.
Spearman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 12:19 AM   #16
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

Is it possible it's so ugly it's beautiful?
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 04:54 AM   #17
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsky
Sad! They could have rebuilt it to a Las Vegas style luxury hotel with a USSR theme instead...
That would be awesome!

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote