daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 13th, 2006, 09:19 AM   #1
neorion
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

New Classicism

"Classicism is not a style, but a traditiion that has evolved from and co-existed with the vernacular. It is a living tradition open to adaptation and interpretation, and responsive to region, climate, nature and culture."
- Demetri Porphyrios

About Demetri Porphyrios

One of the world's leading architects and theorists, Dr. Demetri Porphyrios is the principal of the London-based Porphyrios Associates. Known for the use of traditional and classical architectural forms, his work has been acclaimed in Europe, the United States and the Middle East. Dr. Porphyrios designed the Grove Quadrangle at Magdalen College, Oxford University and, most recently, Whitman College, Princeton University's sixth residential college. Other projects include the Brindleyplace office buildings; the town of Pitiousa in Spetses, Greece; the new Duncan Galleries in Lincoln, Nebraska; the King's Cross master plan in London and a number of urban projects for resort towns and inner-city developments in the United Kingdom and around the world.

An advisor to the Prince of Wales, Dr. Porphyrios is known for designs responsive to region, climate, nature and culture. His architecture gives new insight into the use of tradition and modernity. "A work is classical," Mr. Porphyrios says, "not because it is immutable, eternal and sacred but because it continually searches for and brings out the new. Classicism is not a style. Classicism is not a doctrine; it is philosophy of life. It is the philosophy of free will nurtured by tradition."

Dr. Porphyrios has been Thomas Jefferson Professor at the University of Virginia and Davenport and Bishop Professor at Yale University. He also has taught at the Architectural Association, Polytechnic of Central London and the Royal College of Art in London.

Dr. Porphyrios was educated at Princeton University, where he received his Master of Architecture and Ph.D. in the History and Theory of Architecture.

His publications include "Sources of Modern Eclecticism," "On the Methodology of Architectural History," "Building and Architecture," "Classicism is Not a Style," "D. Porphyrios: Selected Buildings and Writings," "Classical Architecture," guest editor of "Neoclassical Architecture in Copenhagen and Athens" and, most recently, "Demetri Porphyrios." Porphyrios has also taught at Yale before; he was the Davenport Professor of Architectural Design in 1989 and 1991.

The Richard H. Driehaus Prize
Demetri Porphyrios honored for a lifetime commitment to traditional and classical ideals in buildings and urban development. The University of Notre Dame School of Architecture presented the second annual Richard H. Driehaus Prize for Classical Architecture to Dr. Demetri Porphyrios. A leading architect and theorist, Dr. Porphyrios was honored in a ceremony March 20 at the Ballroom at The School of the Art Institute of Chicago. Dr. Porphyrios received $100,000 and a bronze and stone replica of the Choregic Monument of Lysikrates in Athens.

A few projects:

Interamerican Office Building, Athens, Greece 2000 - 2002

Pic thanks to LEAFS FANATIC (Greek Forum).

One Forbury Square Office Building, Reading, UK 2001 - 2003

The Grove Buildings and Auditorium, Magdalen College, Oxford, UK 1994 - 1998

Trowbridge Masterplan, Wiltshire, UK 2002 - Present

Town of Pitiousa, Spetses, Greece 1993 - 1996

Duncan Galleries, Lincoln, Nebraska, USA 1999 - 2000

Three Brindleyplace, Birmingham, UK 1996 - 1998

neorion no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2006, 08:19 PM   #2
car-zg
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

I really like this style, i think they make ''centre atmosphere'' mre tahn tipical new buildings. I would like to see this type of buildings in Zagreb on Sava river where the new city centre will be built
car-zg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 08:32 PM   #3
gm2263
The Jedi Will Rise Again

Likes (Received): 2200

Excellent thread, neorion, excellent.

Notably, the Interamerican Insurance head offices is an excellent design, also located in a neighbourhood of modern buildings such as the Interamerican Hotel (Architect Iason Rizos), The Piraeus Bank - Greek Industrial Development Building (Alexandros Tombazis), the National Insurance building (Mario Botta and two other Greek architects whose names elude me), and the Onassion House of Letters and the Arts, also known as "The Athenian Baubourg" (under construction - The Architecture Studio - France).

Too bad I cannot put links due to the fact that I am working. Anyway, nice thread.
Old June 13th, 2006, 08:36 PM   #4
neorion
BANNED

If you can find some time gm, please do.
Old June 14th, 2006, 09:42 AM   #5
neorion
BANNED

The Hellenic Museum and Cultural Centre, by Papageorge/Haymes in Chicago. A great example of 'new classicism'.

Old June 15th, 2006, 07:44 PM   #6
satama

Likes (Received): 174

Quote:
A great example of 'new classicism'.
Isn't that postmodernist style? Especially North America, Britain and France had postmodern architecture which showed/show very strong features of classism mixed with modernism.

http://architecture.nd.edu/news_and_...ndleyplace.jpg
This building looks like a typical 19th century neo-classical building. It goes by the name of new traditionalism in Finland (don't know what they use elsewhere) if the building is done recently.

New-traditionalism in St Petersburg in neo-classical style.

New-traditionalism in Sweden. Ok, this has nothing to do with classism or with this thread, but just to show variety in new-traditionalism.

My question; What is new classism?
Quote:
"Classicism is not a style, but a traditiion that has evolved from and co-existed with the vernacular. It is a living tradition open to adaptation and interpretation, and responsive to region, climate, nature and culture."
All styles are a byproduct of culture and tradition, including classicism... and modernism which is often blaimed for not having roots to tradition or history.

Last edited by satama; June 15th, 2006 at 09:23 PM.
satama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 09:32 PM   #7
neorion
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by satama
Isn't that postmodernist style? Especially North America, Britain and France had postmodern architecture which showed/show very strong features of classism mixed with modernism.

This building looks like a typical 19th century neo-classical building. It goes by the name of new traditionalism in Finland (don't know what they use elsewhere) if the building is done recently.

New-traditionalism in Sweden. Ok, this has nothing to do with classism or with this thread, but just to show variety in new-traditionalism.

My question; What is new classism?. Is it postmodernism revived or a sub category of new traditionalism?
Post-moderism borrows from classicism but from elsewhere as well.

New classicism reinterprets the classical tradition with a freshness and strength that appeals to our contemporary sensibilities. The building I posted is neither post-modern or neoclassical (replication) and therefore not 'new traditionalist' as you would put it.

Interesting term 'new traditionalism', one that I must admit I haven't heard often in my part of the world. It comes across to me as the replication of vernacular traditions in specific places.

The topic is open to discussion. I wonder what gm thinks?

Last edited by neorion; June 15th, 2006 at 09:35 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Old June 16th, 2006, 12:44 AM   #8
Küsel
Resurrected

Likes (Received): 163

There are a lot of modern classicistic buildings in Sao Paulo - especially along Faria Lima.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 03:46 PM   #9
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57994

I'm curious what kind of stuff neorion posted here.

Could someone please make it visible again?

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote