daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > British Columbia > Developments

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 7th, 2009, 05:36 AM   #441
Allen2

Likes (Received): 0

Haha

Sponsored Links

Old May 9th, 2009, 09:09 AM   #442
dleung
BANNED

Likes (Received): 88

I don't know why we aren't doing this in Vancouver... policy-wise, the mechanism (buying density with good architecture) is already there, why not make a provision for highrise/vertical landscaping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafflesCity View Post
Rooftop landscaping gets $8m boost

30 Apr 09

NParks launches 3-year co-funding scheme; URA starts landscaping for urban spaces plan

(SINGAPORE) Hot on the heels of a sustainable development blueprint released on Monday, the National Parks Board (NParks) yesterday announced a three-year $8 million scheme to co-fund rooftop landscaping in the city.

The Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) also launched its landscaping for urban spaces and high-rises (Lush) programme to help meet the blueprint's goal of creating another 50 hectares of 'sky-rise' greenery by 2030.

'Despite Singapore being land scarce, greenery can be pervasive in our urban spaces,' said URA chief executive Cheong Koon Hean. From September this year, NParks will give cash incentives to owners who install green roofs on existing buildings in the downtown and Orchard planning areas. The scheme will first target low- to mid-rise developments that are highly visible, and those surrounded by little street-level greenery.

NParks hopes to create nine hectares of green roofs over the next three years. The incentives will cover up to half of installation costs, capped at $75 per sq m. According to the agency, the typical cost of installing a green roof ranges from $150-$180 per sq m.

Gardens on the roof cost more than those on the ground for every square metre, said Singapore Institute of Landscape Architects' president Henry Steed. 'But once you have built it, the asset is there and the land usable, whereas a plain roof is not.'

In conjunction with NParks' scheme, URA will offer owners who install green roofs bonus gross floor area (GFA) above the master plan permissible intensity. The additional space - limited to half of the roof area or 200 sq m, whichever is lower - can be used for outdoor refreshment areas.

Developers will have to pay a development charge (DC) or differential premium, but URA believes the bonus GFA offer is sufficiently attractive.

The current DC calculation formula creams off 70 per cent of the enhancement in land value, but 'there's still a 30 per cent gain for developers,' said URA's urban design deputy director Cheng Hsing Yao.

The GFA incentive scheme is part of URA's Lush programme, which includes other existing and revised measures to enhance the urban landscape.

For instance, developers applying to exclude sky terraces from GFA computations now have to submit detailed plans on landscaping and communal facilities at the terraces.

Developers housing car parks within raised decks must also put up earth berms for plants on at least 60 per cent of each side of the deck wall, and should surround the area with see-through fences rather than solid walls.

In the strategic areas of the Downtown Core, including Marina Bay, Kallang Riverside and Jurong Gateway, new developments also have to put in place 'sky-rise' greenery or ground-level landscaping equivalent to the site area in size.

For very small plots where buildings have to be tall to maximise the plot ratio, 'replacement is typically not too difficult,' said Singapore Institute of Architects immediate past-president Tai Lee Siang.

Both Mr Steed and Mr Tai believe more can be done to promote urban greenery.

Mr Steed, for instance, envisions it will ultimately be possible for all roofs to have green features ranging from gardens, water catchment areas and even mini-farms.

By EMILYN YAP
Business Times

The scale is a bit massive for vancouver, but I like a lot of things about this pic specifically the texture of the facade

Last edited by dleung; May 9th, 2009 at 09:37 AM.
dleung no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2009, 10:32 AM   #443
dleung
BANNED

The proposed tower for 1372 Seymour (35 stories)

Mini-Shangri-la

This one could really use another 10 stories. It looks slick from the first angle and stumpy in the last pic.
dleung no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2009, 10:14 PM   #444
rather_draconian

Likes (Received): 0

That's not a Cheng, is it?
rather_draconian no está en línea  
Old May 24th, 2009, 04:08 AM   #445
dleung
BANNED

No, it's by Hugh Condon Marler Architects
dleung no está en línea  
Old May 24th, 2009, 06:47 PM   #446
jlousa

Likes (Received): 2

Pretty sure it's actually by Hotson Bakker Boniface Haden
jlousa no está en línea  
Old May 25th, 2009, 12:26 AM   #447
dleung
BANNED

Oh yeah, that's what I meant, lol. You can see why it's easy to mix the two up...
dleung no está en línea  
Old May 27th, 2009, 05:35 AM   #448
dleung
BANNED

A listing in the Flatiron condo for only $1000/sf. Some rare interior shots:

lestwarog.com

The next 3 shots shows how narrow the building is. The floorplate is only as wide as the living room and the glass-enclosed study. Also notice how far away the floorplate and balcony cantilevers a full 5 metres away from the nearest column (behind fireplace)

The foyer. I love it when they use concrete and DON'T paint over it:
dleung no está en línea  
Old May 28th, 2009, 01:31 AM   #449
spongeg

Likes (Received): 1456

looks good
Old May 28th, 2009, 02:49 PM   #450
DrT
"The Ignorant Fool"

Likes (Received): 8

The Flatiron building turned out beautifully.
Lobby simple but elegant.
I remember the pre-construction prices were alot lower than 1k/foot.
I could kick myself for not having bought there pre-construction.
DrT no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2009, 01:49 AM   #451
dleung
BANNED

Yea the prices are much cheaper than i expected, considering it's one of the more exclusive buildings in the area, while all the new condos around it go from $900/sf. Still hated the way they resolved the roof canopy tho.
dleung no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2009, 02:30 AM   #452
WinnipegPatriot

Likes (Received): 96

I read the Plaza 500 will be converted to a Hotel Indigo...a very cool brand!
WinnipegPatriot no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2009, 08:34 AM   #453
dleung
BANNED

I can't find the ritz carlton thread, so I'll stick it here:

Quote:
VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - A downtown Vancouver condo and hotel project that was halted in the market slump could be coming back to life in a less-grand form. The developer of the 600-foot Ritz-Carlton put the project on hold in February as others were cancelled.

Holborn Group President and CEO Joo Kim Tiah says "the project is going forward", but will be different inside the spiralling tower of almost 60 storeys, designed by the late Arthur Erickson. The plan now is for a smaller hotel and more condos, with units that are smaller and more affordable to suit the current market.

Tiah adds it might not be under the same banner. The Ritz-Carlton was originally at the top of the market: one pre-sale was for $28 million. Tiah hopes construction can begin this fall, but it could be affected by the City of Vancouver wanting construction halted for the 2010 Winter Olympics. He says he doesn't want to wait until next March to begin construction.

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/m...708_183544_976
It's weird we have 4 other ultra-luxury towers that basically started in this recession (georgia, west pender place, 3 harbour green, jameson house), but only the ritz failed to move forward.
dleung no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2009, 09:28 AM   #454
Yellow Fever
I'm a mean son of a gun

Likes (Received): 17382

It would be an excellent news if this project is going forward. I don't care what will inside looks like as long as its still the same height and same exterior design.

Mods, please re-open the RC thread!
Yellow Fever no está en línea  
Old July 17th, 2009, 08:57 AM   #455
davidjiao2008
davidjiao2008

Likes (Received): 6

good shot
davidjiao2008 no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2009, 08:42 PM   #456
Yellow Fever
I'm a mean son of a gun

Likes (Received): 17382

Luma a beacon for younger households

Polygon highrise in Burnaby attracts big crowd on first day of selling

By Steven Threndyle, Special to The SunOctober 24, 2009

Project Location: Kingsway and Sperling, Burnaby

Project size: 200 apartments and townhouses, 26-storey building

Residence size: 2 bed, 2 bath, 744 sq. ft. - 935 sq. ft.; penthouses, up to 1,164 sq. ft.

Prices: $354,800 - $699,000

Developer: Polygon

Architect: Buttjes Architecture

There is a giant hole in the ground at the corner of Kingsway and Arcola, right in the heart of Burnaby.

And in the wee hours of Saturday, Oct. 3, prospective purchasers of the homes that will rise from that hole in the ground started lining up around the block to put down a deposit on a condo in Luma, Polygon's newest highrise project. It looked like 2007 all over again, as deposits were taken on over 100 units, which are scheduled for occupancy beginning in July 2011.

The target market is comprised of first-home buyers tempted by low interest rates, and purchasers are coming from Burnaby, Vancouver and Richmond, says Ralph Archibald, Polygon's senior vice-president for sales and marketing.

"Luma will be the only new highrise in the area in the foreseeable future," he says.

It is part of a neighbourhood that's emerging between Metrotown and the updated Highgate Mall, along the SkyTrain route connecting Surrey, New Westminster and Burnaby with downtown Vancouver.

Polygon's advance marketing and advertising promoted a number of suites for as low as $888 per month; definitely an attention-getter. Those 774-square-foot units were gobbled up quickly, but so, too, were the majority of two-bedroom/two-bath units ranging in size from 817 to 935 square feet, with 1,100-square-foot units on the penthouse floor.

Once completed, this 26-storey concrete highrise between Metrotown and Highgate Mall, to the east, will truly stand out -- especially at night. The building's signature feature will be a vertical blue LED light strip that will run the entire length of the building from the penthouses to the lobby.

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun
Yellow Fever no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2009, 09:24 PM   #457
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Likes (Received): 375

wow its tough to find a decent render of this building.
Somrach1 -this morning i felt like that Crane on top of me is going to drop that steel bar up on my head. lucky there's worker holding the steel bar. when i look up in to the sky i can see the crane tip is exactly on top my head.
Rhino no está en línea  
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:35 PM   #458
spongeg

Likes (Received): 1456

some pics of various things in the area

citi & motif in burnaby - nov 6ish

a new 7-11 for downtown - pender & bute

new beard papa for Robson street

new japa dog for robson street - not a cart!

dolce and vita (is it?)

capital
Old December 19th, 2009, 02:32 AM   #459
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 46

here's a rendering of 700 West 8th

At 700 West 8th Vancouver, construction is slated to begin in spring on 130 modern living spaces designed by Henriquez Partners Architects.
Promising huge views this sustainably designed project will launch to private release through Magnum Projects www.magnumprojects.ca.
deasine no está en línea  
Old January 31st, 2010, 07:26 PM   #460
Guest89
----SSC ®----

Likes (Received): 10

Vancouver rejects downtown high-rise proposals

Vancouver rejects downtown high-rise proposals, But three new towers approved in Chinatown and Gastown.

Vancouver city council has rejected a controversial plan that could have dramatically blocked some downtown views with four new high-rises.

Councillors voted against the downtown proposal on Tuesday, saying any new towers must obey existing rules protecting view corridors and must also use green building designs.

Developers had argued that increasing the height limitations would have added about one million square-feet of residential and commercial space to the downtown core.

Three of the towers would have been built on West Georgia Street, with the fourth on Burrard Street.

The tallest downtown building is the Shangri-La condominium, hotel and retail tower on West Georgia, which stands at the current height limit of 62 storeys, or 197 metres.

But the new towers would have blocked several existing view corridors of the city's North Shore Mountains and residents made it very clear they did not want their views jeopardized, said Coun. Heather Deal.

"When you're out there on the streets talking to people, people love the views," said Deal.

New towers approved in Chinatown and Gastown

Council did approve a proposal to allow high-rises of up to 12 storeys in Chinatown, raising the old limit of nine storeys, while two buildings in neighbouring Gastown were allowed to go to 15 stories.

Coun. George Chow said he is counting on higher density to help with Chinatown's revitalization.

"I'm hoping that if you build them, they will come, and all our social problems and other problems will be resolved," said Chow.

But Coun. Ellen Woodsworth, disagreed, saying the changes don't include protection for the area's current low-income rental stock.

"70 per-cent of Gastown is low-income residents. We're going to see more people on the streets, whether they're Chinese seniors, students, the artists who live in Gastown, or the welfare recipients," said Woodsworth.

"We are a council that is committed to ensuring low-income housing. I think what we've proceeded with, is going to increase our problem," she said.

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...ts-towers.html
Guest89 no está en línea  

Closed Thread