daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 15th, 2006, 07:47 AM   #1
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

TORONTO | Bay Adelaide West | 217m | 50 fl | Com

A bit of history on this dubious Toronto development:

The Bay Adelaide Centre is a proposed Toronto skyscraper that has sat unfinished since 1991. The tower was the last of a series of construction projects in downtown Toronto launched in the boom years of the 1980s. The Centre was to be a 57-storey office tower at the corner of Bay Street and Adelaide in the heart of Toronto's financial district. In earlier years a series of massive towers, such as Scotia Plaza, had been built nearby. The tower was a joint project by Markborough Properties and TrizecHahn and it was to have cost almost a billion dollars.

The building caused considerable controversy among those opposed to the erection of such massive structures. The tower stood far higher than was allowed by the city's official plan. To gain city hall's approval the developers committed some $80 million towards new social housing and other projects. A portion of the site was turned over to the city for use as a park that is now Cloud Gardens. Both of these deals went ahead, despite the tower never having been completed.

Construction began in 1990, but the developers soon ran into problems. The economy collapsed and office vacancy rates in Toronto rose to 20%. Construction was halted, and in 1993, with over $500 million already invested the project was permanently put on hold. All that was completed was the underground parking garage and several storeys of the concrete service shaft that now stands as a monument to the failed project in downtown Toronto. The stump of the service shaft is known to security and the locals as "the bunker".

There have been several attempts to revive the project. In 1998 TrizecHahn briefly revived it, but another shift in the economy caused them to again pause. In 2000 there was again talk of revving the project, but the next year TrizecHahn sold its 50% share to Brookfield Properties for $49 million. Brookfield was committed to completing the structure, to a smaller height of either 40 or 50 stories, but later that year the economy again soured and the project remains on hiatus. Brookfield also owns most of the buildings on the block, however it remains to be seen if any improvements will include these buildings or not.

As of October 2005, plans have been filed with the City of Toronto to improve the structure. An information sign (notice to amend the by law regulating zoning) was place on Bay St. between 347 Bay and 355 Bay, both also Brookfield properties. The notice, in short, informs the public that three mixed use high rise towers, surrounding an urban plaza will be built. The 3 towers will vary in size from 43 to 50 stories and contain and aggregate density of 240,396 Sq. Meters. Whether this proposition will fall flat like the previous two remains to be seen

The many failed proposals:

Prep work on the site has begun. Concrete barriers were brought in to close two lanes on Adelaide street, steel fencing has also been brought. The underground parking garage entrance is now fenced off as well. Ellis Don contractors will be responsible for its construction.

Elevations from the City reports:

Basically the current stump at the site will be demolished to make way for a urban square. The plan by Brookfield developments calls for 2 more towers, a condo/office tower and a hotel/condo tower on the north side of the square.

Finally the rendering: A true TO corporate box!

EllisDon has been awarded the prestigious Bay Adelaide Centre office tower in downtown Toronto. The building is designed as a landmark signature tower which, with its distinctive rooftop silhouette, makes a unique and lasting architectural imprint on the Toronto skyline. The impressive 50-storey office tower contains over 1,525,000 square feet of rentable, Class A office space.

Located between Adelaide and Temperance Street, the project defines the north edge of the downtown financial core. Over 112,062 square feet of below grade retail space links this complex to the extensive downtown concourse network. Three levels of existing below grade parking provide space for approximately 1,100 cars. A challenge for the construction team is the historical fašade at Bay and Temperance which will be removed, refurbished and reinstalled.

EllisDon is currently involved with an extensive preconstruction program for the Bay Adelaide Centre for construction to start in summer 2006.

I wish for the very best, and that it does not flop like the doomed first proposal back in '91

Construction prep photos will follow...
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2006, 07:54 AM   #2
greekguymike
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

i like the original version of bay adalaide, the other ones are nice too but this new one they designed is terrible
greekguymike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 08:02 AM   #3
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

This building signifies new growth in the downtown core... first major tower in a decade. But it's just the start to more great things to come.
At such a prime location, it is too bad that the tower could not be taller.

Here is the first update, the old core of the flop:

Last edited by Skybean; June 15th, 2006 at 08:16 AM. Reason: drunk
Skybean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 05:12 PM   #4
elliot

Likes (Received): 33

Filip

Since you are using my bandwidth regularly to (re)post my pictures, or pictures I have found and hosted on my server (such as all 3 above) ... perhaps it's time for some forum manners, such as providing the source.

You grab my posts very quickly to re-post elsewhere but you never provide the source. Most forumers try to provide a source when appropriate.
elliot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 05:28 PM   #5
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliot
Filip

Since you are using my bandwidth regularly to (re)post my pictures, or pictures I have found and hosted on my server (such as all 3 above) ... perhaps it's time for some forum manners, such as providing the source.

You grab my posts very quickly to re-post elsewhere but you never provide the source. Most forumers try to provide a source when appropriate.
Sorry dude, want me to host them myself or what? I was in a bit of a rush to post these... lol
Old June 15th, 2006, 06:06 PM   #6
Siopao
レジスタドユーザー

Likes (Received): 100

I prefer the original render. It looks iconic.
Siopao no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 11:51 PM   #7
Marcanadian

Likes (Received): 2584

Version 2 and 3 are the best but this one is still ok. Between Ritz, Cadilac Fairview and this they all pretty much look like the same concept.
Old June 16th, 2006, 12:10 AM   #8
LordMandeep

Likes (Received): 12

It will be the tallest building being constructed in Canada as of now.
Old June 16th, 2006, 01:04 AM   #9
Phobos

It looks a lot like 7 WTC in NY.
Old June 16th, 2006, 02:40 AM   #10
CrazyCanuck
MOD SQUAD

Likes (Received): 28

I still think the original design is better, it would be something unique in the city, unlike this copycat, of which we will have two, at almost identical heights.
CrazyCanuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 09:25 AM   #11
Grollo
Developer

Likes (Received): 1027

How tall was the original proposal?

I don't like the intergration with the historic building on the site, looks kind of silly sticking out of the glass wall like that, they may as well just demolish it.

A better approach would be for the new tower to have a defined podium the same height as the historic building with the setback tower rising above.
Old June 16th, 2006, 08:19 PM   #12
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

From Ed007 over at UT:

The original tower's height was somewhere between FCP and ScotiaPlaza.
Old June 16th, 2006, 08:40 PM   #13
zerokarma

Likes (Received): 12

I'm glad they are getting back on track with this project, not a huge fan of the new design but its better then just leaving that former stump to rot away for another 20 years.
zerokarma no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2006, 04:02 AM   #14
Dino Domingo
Canadiense

Likes (Received): 19

This is great. Its about time that stump came down. Can't wait for this tower. It is the first of the major office towers going up. Guess the'll end up beating Cadillac Fairview after all.
Dino Domingo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2006, 04:07 AM   #15
[email protected]
Philippine Forum Mod

Likes (Received): 3027

FINALLY!!! This is probably the most frustrating project I've followed in Canada. A stump for so many years! God! As long as its tall, I don't care if its a box. Anything is better than that Stump and the box ain't that bad anyway...!

"The best solution all over the world, time tested, safe, no pollution, is still the use of the train system." - Ms. Elvira Medina, Nat'l Center for Commuter Safety and Protection
queetz@home no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2006, 04:16 AM   #16
thryve
░░░░░░░░░░

Likes (Received): 22

It's very understatedly elegant, I am looking forward to it.

Why was it redesigned from Version 3? I remember quite clearly that it was a recent design too... so what happened?

Either way, version 2 and 3 would have both been at home in our financial district... the first one wouldn't have fit in too well.

-thryve
thryve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2006, 04:41 AM   #17
Canadian Chocho

Likes (Received): 28

Urgh! Always! A sweet design turns into a box, i like boxes but i'd just like this once for something different to come up.

1 2 3
Canadian Chocho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2006, 05:04 AM   #18
rise_against
Olde Guard

Likes (Received): 8

Ya its crazy how much that building looks exactly like the Ritz...oh well its still a nice design. All these glass boxes i think will contrast nicely with their concrete surrondings.
Old June 17th, 2006, 06:48 AM   #19
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

I'm sad that the building with the blue box siding is going to get demolished. It formed a good part of the Bay street wall -- the uniform box pattern. This helped to further cement the city as BOX CAPITAL OF THE WORLD. No more.

Old June 17th, 2006, 06:58 AM   #20
Jackhammer
The Adjuster

Likes (Received): 0

^ cheer up ... were getting a bigger shinier box.
Jackhammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
toronto