daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 3rd, 2007, 09:39 PM   #201
ale26

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Something that is quite amazing is the underground city beneath the CBD. If you stand stationary down there at 4pm, the sea of humanity walking by is overwhelming. The sound of thousands of expensive shoes hitting the marble for 45 minutes straight is a sound I've never heard anywhere else. It would have made a great opening sequence for the movie 'American Psycho' which was filmed in this area.
That always amazes me aswell!

But the one thing I hate about having the PATH is that the streets in the CBD of Toronto are dead, no matter what time of day, it's a ghost town...you walk around and think to yourself, "Where are the pedestrians:S..This is a city of 3 million??"

Last edited by ale26; November 3rd, 2007 at 09:45 PM.
ale26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2007, 11:35 PM   #202
elliot

Likes (Received): 32

Oh please... in January maybe (looking for shelter from the cold) ... just like Dubai most of the year... (looking for A/c).
elliot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 02:18 AM   #203
ale26

its true..theres absolutely no one on the streets...maybe a couple on yonge/bloor, but thats about it...and Y&D square is a joke...its trying to pay homage to times square? Half the day its deserted.
Old November 5th, 2007, 02:32 AM   #204
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10780

Toronto does seem quiet sometimes when you've just come from London or Hong Kong, but I wouldn't say its deserted. It is getting busier each passing year. Within 20-30 years, there probably won't be any significant difference.

ale26: you seem to be very US-centric. Are you American? There's a massive world out there. Areas like Dundas Square are to be found in many cities around the globe from Tokyo to London. It is hardly paying homage to Times Square in New York. Times Square isn't even a square. Dundas Square is Dundas Square, period. We aren't taking cultural cues from them, any more than they are from us. Dundas Square is paying homage to Canadian consumerism. It is a natural evolution of our own culture. Dundas Square is simply that area of Yonge Street taken to the next level. Your assertion is rather insulting to this country.

You may not like Dundas Square, but it's arguably the most successful redevelopment that downtown has seen in living memory. It is already amazing, and will continue to evolve organically. Give it a chance. It's not even finished yet.

Last edited by isaidso; November 5th, 2007 at 02:38 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 02:37 AM   #205
ale26

I'm actually from Toronto, and Toronto is deserted I mean people make Toronto out to be a city rivalring New York and it's not even close...obviously its going to be less busy than London or Hong Kong b/c they're much bigger,, but Toronto seems less busy than cities like Cincinatti for God sakes, and it's prob smaller.
Old November 5th, 2007, 02:37 AM   #206
ale26

and about Dundas square, all i'm saying is that its seriously underused
Old November 5th, 2007, 02:43 AM   #207
Dimension
I have class

Likes (Received): 25

I like this building.
Dimension no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 02:53 AM   #208
isaidso
the new republic

Ale26:

Toronto is certainly not New York. People do need to stop making that comparison. Toronto is a much smaller city, but quickly emerging as a big influential city on the world stage. Toronto is Toronto, and has nothing to feel inadequate about. There are things that are more exciting about New York, but the reverse can be said also.

It's easy to become impatient when you want Toronto to be this 15 million person metropolis overnight. I can relate to that on many levels, but it's wiser to acknowledge the transformation happening here. Toronto is booming and it's been a 40 year long boom with no sign of abating.

Globally, Toronto wasn't even on people's radar screen in 1970. That can't be said now. Toronto may not be where we want it to be, but it is rapidly moving in that direction. I fully expect Toronto to become a big influential global city. It is already there by many measures. People just don't realize it, because the ascent has been so rapid.

Just be patient. If you saw the massive strides this city has taken just in the past 10 years, it would be an eye opener. I've travelled and lived in London, Paris, and New York so these observations aren't made blindly. It will happen here, you just need to look around to know that it is inevitable. The downtown population jumped from 102,000 to 169,000 between 2001 and 2006. 100,000+ immigrants are settling in Toronto every year. Perhaps, it is better to enjoy the ride, rather than get frustrated.

Last edited by isaidso; November 5th, 2007 at 03:04 AM.
Old November 5th, 2007, 02:59 AM   #209
ale26

i guess, lets see.
Old November 5th, 2007, 04:58 AM   #210
monkeyronin
Mơמkƹ͛ƴ∆ґơɲiɲ

Likes (Received): 876

Quote:
Originally Posted by ale26 View Post
and Toronto is deserted...Toronto seems less busy than cities like Cincinatti for God sakes, and it's prob smaller.
Wow...you really are a ******* retard, aren't you?
monkeyronin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 05:01 AM   #211
Tuscani01

Likes (Received): 103

Quote:
and about Dundas square, all i'm saying is that its seriously underused
I guess you never really go to Dundas Square. I go there to study and always have problems finding a seat. I usually end up sitting on the ledge on the North East corner of the square.
Tuscani01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 05:15 AM   #212
Jackhammer
The Adjuster

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Ale26:

Toronto is certainly not New York. People do need to stop making that comparison. Toronto is a much smaller city, but quickly emerging as a big influential city on the world stage. Toronto is Toronto, and has nothing to feel inadequate about. There are things that are more exciting about New York, but the reverse can be said also.

It's easy to become impatient when you want Toronto to be this 15 million person metropolis overnight. I can relate to that on many levels, but it's wiser to acknowledge the transformation happening here. Toronto is booming and it's been a 40 year long boom with no sign of abating.

Globally, Toronto wasn't even on people's radar screen in 1970. That can't be said now. Toronto may not be where we want it to be, but it is rapidly moving in that direction. I fully expect Toronto to become a big influential global city. It is already there by many measures. People just don't realize it, because the ascent has been so rapid.

Just be patient. If you saw the massive strides this city has taken just in the past 10 years, it would be an eye opener. I've travelled and lived in London, Paris, and New York so these observations aren't made blindly. It will happen here, you just need to look around to know that it is inevitable. The downtown population jumped from 102,000 to 169,000 between 2001 and 2006. 100,000+ immigrants are settling in Toronto every year. Perhaps, it is better to enjoy the ride, rather than get frustrated.
Well said, the human population of downtown is intensely growing. Not everyone will be able to hide underground.

That said, the underground itself is a reason to visit Toronto. CN may have fallen from top spot in the Guiness Record Book but PATH still holds true for largest underground retail with the only real rival being Montreal. Currently with 27km of tunnels the current city plans have room for up to 60km.
Jackhammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 05:25 AM   #213
isaidso
the new republic

Are you aware of where the PATH might expand to? It would be amazing if you could one day get all the way to Bloor from the ACC, and perhaps one day, a parallel system going up University.
Old November 5th, 2007, 05:30 AM   #214
Jackhammer
The Adjuster

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Are you aware of where the PATH might expand to? It would be amazing if you could one day get all the way to Bloor from the ACC, and perhaps one day, a parallel system going up University.
Not sure on the actual planned connections but here is a link to all things PATH:

http://www.toronto.ca/path/
Jackhammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #215
caltrane74

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
I'm actually from Toronto, and Toronto is deserted I mean people make Toronto out to be a city rivalring New York and it's not even close...obviously its going to be less busy than London or Hong Kong b/c they're much bigger,, but Toronto seems less busy than cities like Cincinatti for God sakes, and it's prob smaller.

ale26, you should consider moving to Cincinatti since you have such a high regard for it. - I mean honestly why waste your time in toronto.
caltrane74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 10:56 PM   #216
ale26

I'm just kidding, obviously Toronto isn't deserted, I just wanted to see the remarks you ******* *******s would have
Old November 5th, 2007, 11:05 PM   #217
monkeyronin
Mơמkƹ͛ƴ∆ґơɲiɲ

Likes (Received): 876

Quote:
I'm just kidding
Judging by all your past posts, I don't think any reasonable person would be able to conclude that. Considering every one of them prior to this is either something which lacks any value and adds nothing to a discussion, or is a "we are not worthy" remark.

Quote:
I just wanted to see the remarks you ******* *******s would have
That is called "trolling" and is something which can warrant a banning.
monkeyronin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 12:06 AM   #218
caltrane74

Likes (Received): 71

I'm surprised I don't see an "in the brig" next to Ale's avatar.......
caltrane74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 02:09 AM   #219
Canadian74

Likes (Received): 1

Let's get back on topic.

Wasn't the height recently increased to 55 floors? The thread header still says 50 floors.
Canadian74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 02:45 AM   #220
Tuscani01

Likes (Received): 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian74 View Post
Let's get back on topic.

Wasn't the height recently increased to 55 floors? The thread header still says 50 floors.
Height wasn't increased.
Tuscani01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
toronto