daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 15th, 2006, 11:10 AM   #1
steppenwolf

Likes (Received): 282

A sunny morning in Cardiff, Wales

I woke up early this morning and as it looked such a beautiful day outside I decided to go for a cycle and take some pics as I knew you folks would appreciate it.

The beautiful Cathedral. A very ancient building but massively restored in the 19th Century

Cardiff has the largest area of city centre park in any UK city. They stretch from the castle which you can see in this picture, right out into the countryside, following the course of the river Taff

The Norman Keep of the Castle - The oldest building in the city

Three of Cardiff's many Victorian/19th Century Arcades. Apparently the city has more of them than any other in the UK. Theyre really great places for shopping for odd things that you couldnt find on the high street

St. Johns Church in the City Centre. The only surviving medieval building outside the walls of the castle

The city museum

City Hall - The museums neighbour and part of a colection of portlnad stone buildings making up the Civic Centre

Another building in the Civic Centre. This one is the University's school of Planning and Sociology, The Glamorgan Building. It used to be the Glamorgan Councils building and still has a very grand debating chamber inside

Some old cottages just outside the City Centre. The red brick building is Aberdare all female halls of residences

Hope you enjoyed. I'll post a few more of the modern parts of Cardiff later

Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2006, 12:21 PM   #2
gm2263
The Jedi Will Rise Again

Likes (Received): 2200

I expected no less from the lovely capital of Wales.

Too bad I didn't visit this city when I had the chance long ago, when I was living in the south west of England (Exeter)...

Thanks steppenwolf, these are brilliant pictures...
Old June 15th, 2006, 12:38 PM   #3
steppenwolf

Cardiff Bay, or as it was once known. Tiger Bay. Once the seedy but exciting part of the city, full of sailors and immigrants. Now the old community has been rather sidelined to make way for the shiny new monumnets of the opera house (the gold building), the 'Senedd' (Parliament in Welsh) - The building with the long flat roof. And the red brick Pierhead building which once guarded the entrance to the docks.

The castle from the main entrance - with some out of place new portakabin style entrance shack and some quite unnecessary railings.

The Cathedral Green, Llandaff, just outside the city centre. You can see two castles in that picture! Evidence of Wales claim that it has more castles per square mile than any other country in the world!
Old June 15th, 2006, 12:44 PM   #4
steppenwolf

One final image. The new parliament building, designed by Richard Rogers (Lloyds of London/ Pompidou Centre) has been made from the most beautiful materials. Welsh Slate slabs are the main external material which is filled with sparkly bits of sparkly gold stuff. Lovely!

Old June 15th, 2006, 12:54 PM   #5
steppenwolf

Oh OK! If you insist Here are a couple more and then thats it!

Another nice view of St. Johns church tower, built in the 1500s

My favourite street in the city. Its just an alley really, but its got a windy medieval character, lots of interesting warehouse type buildings and the castle tower peeping up at the end.