daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > Queensland > Regional Queensland

Regional Queensland Sunshine Coast, Cairns, Townsville, Mackay

Old June 16th, 2006, 04:37 AM   #1
kreuzer

Likes (Received): 0

Mackay photos thread

Hi everyone. watch this space as I will soon be taking photos of different areas of Mackay hopefully starting this weekend if weather permits
kreuzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 17th, 2006, 03:38 AM   #2
Red Nut
Mackay Alumni

Likes (Received): 33

Good idea for this thread Kreuzer! I took some photos myself last weekend. Unfortunately, it's was a crap-quality camera, I had no zoom function (very frustrating!) and the weather made it very hard so get a clear picture. However you can still see what's in the shot clearly enough to see the beauty of Mackay.

Hope you don't mind me jumping the cue Kreuzer, thought i'd kick it off with a few pics of Mackay's jewel in the crown, the Marina!

The Clarion International Hotel

New shot on the www.mackaymarina.com homepage...

Red Nut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2006, 01:02 AM   #3
kreuzer

No problems Red Nut they are got shots despite the weather, which has been a problem of late. The Marina is definately interesting for photos and i was going to take pics of Captains Corner which is quite a large project. Hopefully want to take pics of riverfront and pics looking from the forgan bridge looking towards north side to give other members an idea of the layout of Mackay in general which is very different to other QLD regional cities indeed. Plus some pics of the city centre which to my delight has really come alive and is a very interesting area either the art deco architecture or streetscapes which again seems to be a different setting to other Qld cities. Keep your eyes open for updated info on "the beach at mackay" development and "east point" which are both very interesting. Hopefully more construction will commence soon in the city centre as a lot of the approved appartments are no longer advertising and from what I have heard are virtually sold. Lanai is supposed to start on November 1st. Will keep you updated!
Old June 18th, 2006, 02:37 AM   #4
Red Nut
Mackay Alumni

I have a few from around the city centre too that I haven't got around yet to posting. Will add them to the thread as I get the chance.

Also got some construction pics of Captains Corner, it's getting pretty big now. However it might be best if we post all developments concerning the Marina precinct and East point into a thread of it's own...
Old June 18th, 2006, 02:46 AM   #5
kreuzer

Yeah makes sense, hopefully i will be out taking photos today, but the weather has turned foul again, so will see what happens
Old June 20th, 2006, 01:58 PM   #6
Red Nut
Mackay Alumni

Below are just a few shots of 'Nelson's on the River' (1 Nelson St), completed about 7 years ago now. This smaller 5-storey block was the first development to take full advantage of the great views and superior location that the CBD riverfront presents. I think you can argue that Nelson's has acted as the catalyst for the flurry of highrise riverside developments about to hit Mackay.

I'm fortunate to have been up in the penthouse a few years ago. It's like any 3-bed modern apartment on the inside but the roof garden was spectacular. Amazing during the summer time. It also adjoins the recently completed city section of the riverwalk trail.

From Nelson St (right across the st from the upcoming Lanai riverside apartments)

A few other low-quality shots from PRD Realty...

Old August 13th, 2006, 01:01 PM   #7
Red Nut
Mackay Alumni

The Mackay Entertainment Centre... that fountain is so 80's lol

Old August 13th, 2006, 01:05 PM   #8
Red Nut
Mackay Alumni

'Artspace Mackay' - Regional Art Gallery, constructed only about 4 years ago... great cafe, I'll usually duck in when I'm back in town as there is usually a new exhibit of some sort

Old August 13th, 2006, 01:08 PM   #9
Red Nut
Mackay Alumni

Perhaps the most iconic building in Mackay (especially to locals)... unfortunately I'm igonrant of it's historical connection to the region.

Old August 13th, 2006, 01:39 PM   #10
BrizzyChris

Likes (Received): 602

What is it, post office?
BrizzyChris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 03:50 AM   #11
Red Nut
Mackay Alumni

Nah, a bank. Most likely has some connection with the Commonwealth bank, being historically a government institution, although again I am completely ignorant...
Old August 14th, 2006, 10:41 AM   #12
Gertzy
Lacking an Akubra!

Likes (Received): 1

That Entertainment centre looks 80's, that artspace looks very contemporary and weird, great shots Red Nut.
Old August 14th, 2006, 01:51 PM   #13
MackayMB

The Entertainment Centre was opened in 1988, and yes, the design is typically 80's and very effective as well as distinctive. It replaced the old and delapidated Theatre Royal. The bank building used to be the National Australia Bank. It was the second building they occupied. The original was the building where Hog's Breath is now located. I can remember when it still functioned as the Bank, there were large corinthian columns inside, like those at the front. The National Bank moved to their current premises in the mid 80's.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 04:06 PM   #14
Red Nut
Mackay Alumni

The new Sydney st Markets complex, which was built over the old Mater Hospital site. It's turned out to be a profitable little nugget, and an enabler for high-rise developments on the eastern side of the CBD.

You can't see it clearly in this shot that I've taken, but there's a nifty piece of artwork as you go through the mall entrance.

Old January 3rd, 2007, 04:08 PM   #15
Red Nut
Mackay Alumni

The previous Mackay City Council chambers... now restored and used as a tourist information centre.

Old January 3rd, 2007, 05:28 PM   #16
Gertzy
Lacking an Akubra!

The Sydney Street Markets look nice, and its a Coles too, we will all one day bow down to Coles, my life already revolves around the company .
Old January 10th, 2007, 02:14 PM   #17
Red Nut
Mackay Alumni

When in Mackay over the Christmas week, I spent time along River st taking shots of current and upcoming residential tower developments. Driving along towards the mouth of the river however, I was suddenly struck by the charecter and charm that the old timber wharves along the river front emmit. It's sadly a side of the city that is oft forgotten, and for many years it has sat neglected except for the die-hard fishermen and recreational boaties that have any use for the area.

I have taken only a few shots and unfortunately the ones I have taken understress the points I'm making, as the jetties strech along the riverfront for hundreds more metres upstream (about two-thirds of the way to the Forgan bridge in the background of the second photo). The timber used in some of these wharves would be well more than a century old, and many of the support beams and walking boards are nothing more than branches chopped straight from a eucalyptus tree, fashioned awkwardly into a jetty!

Hopefully it will not all dissappear, it's a truly unique spot that could potentially become a cherished asset of Mackay with correct planning and dedication (although the article below suggests otherwise).

This story is from the Mercury last year just before Christmas. It highlights the cost often associated with social and economic upheaval in growing cities... same old story throughout history I suppose.

Tide turns: River boaties told to go

THE DAILY MERCURY

COLIN Mitchell has salt in his veins and sadness in his smile – he has been hauling fish from the sea for 50 years. But this river rat knows he is a dying breed.

Ten years ago he joined a group of old salts who made their life and home on the side of the Pioneer River, an area he aptly calls "both an icon and an eyesore".

But the modern world has caught up with them and the river dwellers have been told they will have to leave early in the New Year.

The group – some live on their boats, others simply use the river bank pens as cheap shelter for their fishing boats – have no legal claim on the land they use.

The moorings are rickety, the area dilapidated and strewn with river rubbish. On January 5 the residents will have to leave as part of Mackay City Council’s efforts to clean up the area and make it safer and more accessible to the community.
But they can’t help feeling, as the waters of progress surge past them, that the cost of development is the past left behind.

Mackay City Council took over the area from the Mackay Port Authority two years ago but annual permits for the pens adjacent the River Street wharves haven’t been issued for about seven years, meaning boaties have no legal right to be there.

Mackay City Council administration manager David McKendry said although some leeway had been granted in the past, the area (which was only ever supposed to be a temporary boat shelter until a marina was built) had simply become so run down council needed to intervene.

"The structures down there are not safe. There are public liability issues, there are sanitation issues and we want to open it back up to the public," he said.

Notice had already been served to the boaties well ahead of time and power and water to the moored boats will soon be cut off. Apart from four long-term lease holders at the adjacent, more solid wharves, all will have to leave. Although there were early attempts to fight the council’s decision and offers to clean the area up, most have already gone.

Mr Mitchell considers himself luckier than most – he has sub-leased one of the legal moorings until 2009.

"I estimate it would cost me $56 a day to have my boat at the marina so I’m glad I’ve got somewhere else to put it," he said.

"But there’s a lifestyle and a culture here that will disappear when all this goes – it’s the end of an era.

"It’s just a shame, that’s what it is."

Council has concept plans for the area, which include a boardwalk, and there are several other developments (including the major Pier Residences) set to go ahead.

Mackay City Council said it would endeavour to keep the spirit and history of the area alive by incorporating elements of the existing structures into any development in the area.
Old January 29th, 2007, 01:21 PM   #18
Red Nut
Mackay Alumni

This photo is 2mb so may take a moment to load, however it's a very recent aerial of the Mackay CBD (Aug/ Oct 2006). You can see the Grand Mercure standing out right in the middle.

I won't point them all out but almost every Mackay development mentioned in this forum (11 developments) can be seen within this picture.

Old April 16th, 2007, 02:53 PM   #19
Red Nut
Mackay Alumni

Have only recently discovered the wonder of flickr.com! Did a simple mackay search and found a heap of great shots. Plan to share them over the coming weeks.

Here's a lovely shot looking west down Victoria St through the Mackay City Heart. Lots of shopping, and where many of the city's nightclubs are.

image hosted on flickr
Old April 17th, 2007, 02:30 PM   #20
Red Nut
Mackay Alumni

Here's some great shots of the Mackay Marina I've come across.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr