daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 12th, 2007, 06:05 PM   #41
urbane

Likes (Received): 82

Nice photos, the town looks very quaint. By the way, being close to the Welsh borders, are there any native Welsh speakers in Shropshire ?
urbane no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #42
urbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
One town landmark I didn't get chance to photograph (because it's a bit further out of town) is Lord Hill's column. 40.5m tall, it is the tallest Doric column in the world (apparently )

Not really: the Washington Monument in Baltimore, Maryland is 178 feet tall = 54.25 meters. And there might be taller ones for all I know.

Picture of the Washington Monument:

Old May 12th, 2007, 07:51 PM   #43
MuddyZehbra32
You've got a friend in PA

Likes (Received): 0

oh its very lovely!
MuddyZehbra32 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 08:04 PM   #44
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20329

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiL View Post
Spent an afternoon about a year ago in Shrewbury on the way to visiting a friend in Bangor. Really nice, and the Three Fishes was a great pub.
Yes, the Three Fishes has good beers and nice simple food too, it's one I like
Jonesy55 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 08:06 PM   #45
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbane View Post
Nice photos, the town looks very quaint. By the way, being close to the Welsh borders, are there any native Welsh speakers in Shropshire ?
Very few in Shropshire itself, a lot of people from mid-wales use Shrewsbury as their regional centre for shopping etc though so you do occasionally hear Welsh being spoken around town, you are more likely to hear Polish or Cantonese though.
Old May 12th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #46
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Quote:
Not really: the Washington Monument in Baltimore, Maryland is 178 feet tall = 54.25 meters. And there might be taller ones for all I know.

Picture of the Washington Monument:

It's certainly taller but is it Doric? Maybe it doesn't count because it doesn't have a fluted shaft (or at least that's what the Shropshire tourist board will say to keep their title )

The wikipedia article on the Doric Order of architecture cites the Shrewsbury column as the tallest but wikipedia has been wrong before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doric_order
Old May 12th, 2007, 10:39 PM   #47
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 781

What an amazing town. I have never really heard about this place before, but I would love to visit it now. Worth while as I could also visit the Iron Bridge as well (How far away is that, and is it easy to get to from Shrewsbury?)

I'm interested to hear more about that bridge that has a toll on it. It's a really cheap toll, so why is it still there when none of the other bridges have it? Is there really a person to collect the one penny for pedestrians? Or do people just walk past and ignore it? Do people travel on other bridges just to avoid this toll? It really is an oddity. I can't think of any other central city bridge toll over such a small river anywhere in the world.
Old May 13th, 2007, 04:28 AM   #48
urbane

Quote:
It's certainly taller but is it Doric? Maybe it doesn't count because it doesn't have a fluted shaft (or at least that's what the Shropshire tourist board will say to keep their title )

The wikipedia article on the Doric Order of architecture cites the Shrewsbury column as the tallest but wikipedia has been wrong before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doric_order
Yes, it is doric (you can see from the photo above). However, it doesn't have a fluted shaft (I'm sure if we go down to the smallest detail, almost any non-mass produced object could end up in the Guiness Book of world records ). Anyways, here 's the wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washing...t%2C_Baltimore

Last edited by urbane; May 13th, 2007 at 04:34 AM.
Old May 13th, 2007, 04:31 AM   #49
urbane

Quote:
Very few in Shropshire itself, a lot of people from mid-wales use Shrewsbury as their regional centre for shopping etc though so you do occasionally hear Welsh being spoken around town, you are more likely to hear Polish or Cantonese though.
Thanks, did the inhabitants of Shropshire speak Welsh once upon a time, or was the Welsh language always strictly confined within the boundaries of present-day Wales ?
Old May 13th, 2007, 02:05 PM   #50
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
What an amazing town. I have never really heard about this place before, but I would love to visit it now. Worth while as I could also visit the Iron Bridge as well (How far away is that, and is it easy to get to from Shrewsbury?)

I'm interested to hear more about that bridge that has a toll on it. It's a really cheap toll, so why is it still there when none of the other bridges have it? Is there really a person to collect the one penny for pedestrians? Or do people just walk past and ignore it? Do people travel on other bridges just to avoid this toll? It really is an oddity. I can't think of any other central city bridge toll over such a small river anywhere in the world.
Glad you enjoyed the photos, Ironbridge is less than 20km from Shrewsbury and is very easy to get to.

There is a wikipedia entry on the bridge but it doesn't have much info. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingsland_Bridge

There are barriers with machines to collect the £0.10 from cars but only a box to collect the pedestrian toll which 99% of people ignore. I remember until the 1980s, there was a guy who used to be employed to chase people for the penny toll if they didn't pay though!!

The bridge is only really useful if you are coming from a small part of the outer suburbs and to drive to another one would probably cost £0.10 in petrol so it isn't really worth avoiding.

Old May 13th, 2007, 05:58 PM   #51
frozen

Likes (Received):

Nice pics! Thanks for sharing them
Old May 13th, 2007, 11:54 PM   #52
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
Nice pics! Thanks for sharing them
No problem, glad you liked them. I was going to take some more today but the weather is terrible
Old May 14th, 2007, 12:57 AM   #53
Orgoglioso
Leeds, La dolce vita

Likes (Received): 1

Wow! pretty town
Orgoglioso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 12:27 PM   #54
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Quote:
Thanks, did the inhabitants of Shropshire speak Welsh once upon a time, or was the Welsh language always strictly confined within the boundaries of present-day Wales ?
Well, it depends how far you go back I suppose, before the Anglo-saxon immigrations of the 8th-9th century, all the peoples of what is now England spoke Brythionic Celtic languages similar to Welsh.

Some village names in Western Shropshire (Llanymynech, Bronygarth, Trefonen etc) are Welsh which would seem to indicate more recent Welsh influence, although the vast majority of inhabitants today are English speakers.

Even on the Welsh side of the border, most people are English speakers until you get into the heart of North and West Wales where Welsh is the first language of most people. You can see from this map that most areas bordering Shropshire have low numbers of Welsh speakers.

There is a quite noticeable change in accent over the border though especially in the more remote places, sometimes one village will mostly have inhabitants with a Shropshire/English accent while in the next village two kms away most people will speak with a Welsh accent.
Old May 16th, 2007, 03:55 PM   #55
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
I've done a bit of research, toll bridges are rare here in the UK but there appears to be around 12 of them. Many are big well-known suspension bridges but there are a few smaller ones too, can't find any that seem to be in town/city centres though.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/road.../guidancenotea
Old May 17th, 2007, 05:52 PM   #56
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Wow Jonesy, those are some amazing pics. it really does show the best of English countryside towns.
Old May 18th, 2007, 02:18 PM   #57
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its AlL gUUd View Post
Wow Jonesy, those are some amazing pics. it really does show the best of English countryside towns.
Old May 18th, 2007, 05:47 PM   #58
wolf18
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

feel very clean
wolf18 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 12:01 AM   #59
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Quote: