daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 30th, 2007, 04:09 PM   #101
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20281

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbsenzaehler View Post
Marvellous tour, looks like a typical English town with some quite nice gems to offer

And it also has something of Lübeck (German hanse city in the north) to it - due to the island position of the old town and the various brick buildings. Interesting tudor house style by the by, as in general there are in England.

What's going on in Shrewsbury, are there any good clubs, pubs, bars or regular festivities respectively events?
And by the way, did you ever thought about to move out of the provincial backwater into some bustling metropolis (like Chester e.g.)?
Thank you, glad you liked the tour

Chester is the pretender to the throne, Shrewsbury is the king

There are no good clubs in Shrewsbury, they all suck!!

There are however lots of good bars, pubs and restaurants so that makes up for it. If you want clubs then Birmingham, Manchester and Liverpool are not too far away.

We do have a few festivals during the year, an international street-theatre festival, a folk music festival, a flower festival, medieval weekend, dragonboat racing festival, beer festival plus various concerts, open-air theatre etc during the summer months

It's not the busiest town in the land but there's still plenty to do here and it's not far from bigger cities if you need more choice of shopping, eating, entertainment or whatever occasionally.

As to whether i've thought of moving out, I grew up not far from Shrewsbury but I have also lived in Manchester, the Paris region and (for a few months only) Sydney in Australia but i've ended up back here at the moment. I probably will move again at some point but for now it's a good place to live, I doubt it will be to a major metropolis, I save those for holidays, it might be somewhere in the mountains or by a beach or maybe another nice mid-sized city elsewhere in the UK or Europe, maybe even further afield, who knows
Jonesy55 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2008, 03:36 PM   #102
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Can this be moved to the Urban Showcase please?
Old January 22nd, 2008, 09:08 PM   #103
Jota Pe
Netto Fan Club

Likes (Received): 712

Done.
Jota Pe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 01:50 AM   #104
Munichpictures1970

Likes (Received): 217

Nice sightseeing tour. I like the pictures
Old January 25th, 2008, 12:14 AM   #105
Stifler
That's what she said

Likes (Received): 11

What a lovely town! It seems charming and absolutely different from everything i have seen in the UK. I love that atmosphere.

Jonesy, do you know how much is renting there? Are there any kind of language schools in that area?

I ask you so because I am going to apply for a language scholarship this summer and I am searching for towns in Britain. The budget is not too high (and I want to do several trips) so an affordable place, close to interesting spots and with a good amount of international students would be awesome.

God bless €!
Old January 25th, 2008, 12:59 PM   #106
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifler View Post
What a lovely town! It seems charming and absolutely different from everything i have seen in the UK. I love that atmosphere.

Jonesy, do you know how much is renting there? Are there any kind of language schools in that area?

I ask you so because I am going to apply for a language scholarship this summer and I am searching for towns in Britain. The budget is not too high (and I want to do several trips) so an affordable place, close to interesting spots and with a good amount of international students would be awesome.

God bless €!
There are a few language schools in Shrewsbury, there are not huge numbers of international students like in London or Oxford/Cambridge but it is still common to see them in town, usually European or East Asian.

Try Severnvale, Concord or Languages in Action

The language schools offer home stays with local people if you are interested in this or if you want to rent an apartment in the town centre you can get a small studio from £300-£475/€400-€635 per month. Renting is normally for minimum of six months in the UK.

Here's an Estate Agent website that deals with rentals for you to look at. For £300-£400 per month you won't get anything luxurious though!

The town itself is nice with some pleasant surrounding countryside and small market towns, there are direct trains to Birmingham 55 mins, London 3 hrs, Manchester 75 mins, Chester 50 mins and Cardiff 2 hrs. There are also trains that go to the Welsh coast and Snowdonia national park is not far away, one of the most beautiful parts of the UK.

Last edited by Jonesy55; January 25th, 2008 at 02:11 PM.
Old January 25th, 2008, 01:01 PM   #107
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Check out the Shrewsbury Developments Thread for the latest news on all new supertalls in the town
Old January 25th, 2008, 03:59 PM   #108
Stifler
That's what she said

Likes (Received): 11

Thank you so much mate

I would go with a friend so a I am more interested in a hall of residence or a rented dwelling (no matter if it is shared). It's rather expensive for Spanish standards but I expected rentings to be even higher. Last year the scholarship was around 1200€ for 3-weeks but I want to do so many things...

It seems well-connected as well. Besides all the urban spots, Snowdonia is a place I missed when I was in Wales.

Which airport is the closest one in terms of time? Liverpool, East Midlands or Luton? I have cheap flights from Madrid to all of them.
Old January 25th, 2008, 04:06 PM   #109
VelesHomais

Likes (Received): 5031

Thanks for the tour, very nice town
Old January 25th, 2008, 04:17 PM   #110
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifler View Post
Thank you so much mate

I would go with a friend so a I am more interested in a hall of residence or a rented dwelling (no matter if it is shared). It's rather expensive for Spanish standards but I expected rentings to be even higher. Last year the scholarship was around 1200€ for 3-weeks but I want to do so many things...

It seems well-connected as well. Besides all the urban spots, Snowdonia is a place I missed when I was in Wales.

Which airport is the closest one in terms of time? Liverpool, East Midlands or Luton? I have cheap flights from Madrid to all of them.
No problem, Liverpool would be easiest of those three, you would take a train from Liverpool South Parkway to Crewe and change there for Shrewsbury, Birmingham and Manchester airports are easy to get to by train but the flights might be more expensive.
Old January 25th, 2008, 04:18 PM   #111
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burislav View Post
Thanks for the tour, very nice town
Glad you liked it!
Old February 5th, 2008, 04:43 PM   #112
FREKI
Lord of Legoland

Likes (Received): 6384

Very lovely looking place - I would love to visit it!

Great thread mate!
Old February 5th, 2008, 06:03 PM   #113
Stormwatch153
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Town is a real masterpiece of English heritage! I adore it!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOW!
Stormwatch153 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 01:46 PM   #114
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Thanks Freki, Thanks Stormwatch153, I'm pleased you like the photos. These are getting old now, when I get chance i'lll go and take some updates (not that too much has changed )
Old February 16th, 2008, 01:20 AM   #115
Federicoft

Likes (Received): 4377

Thanks Jonesy, your hometown looks definitely much better than Bradford.
Federicoft no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #116
Patachou

Likes (Received): 16

Shrewsbury is truly beautiful. We absolutely must visit it.
We have friends in Bridgnorth and know how lovely Shropshire is.
Your pictures are very good too and inviting.
We find the railroad from Kidderminster to Bridgnorth fun, a region which
actually is a museum to the Industrial Revolution.You're so lucky to live in such a beautiful country with so much natural variety. Actually it is a treasure chest with many worthwhile things to explore and to savour.
Patachou no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 05:03 PM   #117
Skyprince
Asian boi

I think "-bury" in Britain, "-buri" in Thailand , and " -pur " in India came from the same origin

Shrewsbury, Canterbury, Chanthaburi , Lop Buri, Nagpur, Jodhpur, Kanpur etc etc

Enjoyed this thread !
Skyprince no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 11:23 PM   #118
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyprince View Post
I think "-bury" in Britain, "-buri" in Thailand , and " -pur " in India came from the same origin

Shrewsbury, Canterbury, Chanthaburi , Lop Buri, Nagpur, Jodhpur, Kanpur etc etc

Enjoyed this thread !
Thanks mate Maybe there is a common origin, at least between English and Indian languages. Thai is very different though, could be a coincidence
Old February 16th, 2008, 11:24 PM   #119
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patachou View Post
Shrewsbury is truly beautiful. We absolutely must visit it.
We have friends in Bridgnorth and know how lovely Shropshire is.
Your pictures are very good too and inviting.
We find the railroad from Kidderminster to Bridgnorth fun, a region which
actually is a museum to the Industrial Revolution.You're so lucky to live in such a beautiful country with so much natural variety. Actually it is a treasure chest with many worthwhile things to explore and to savour.
Yes, it's a nice place to live, Bridgnorth is good too! The railway you're talking about got washed away by floods last year but it's being repaired
Old February 16th, 2008, 11:25 PM   #120
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federicoft View Post
Thanks Jonesy, your hometown looks definitely much better than Bradford.
Glad you enjoyed the thread, we are not twinned with Skopje though, only Zutphen in The Netherlands!