daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 22nd, 2006, 09:42 AM   #41
Harkeb
BANNED

Likes (Received): 22

What's the point of this thread? Arrogant, bragging threads like this just provoke more Dubai bashing. The settlement already does not have a very good image around here; and you are not helping.
Harkeb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2006, 01:34 PM   #42
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 35

the forumer opening the thread is not even from Dubai...

the emporis discussion is pointless, since most of the cranes in Dubai are not working on the towers but on the lowrises, like the new airport, the oldtown, etc.
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 01:42 PM   #43
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Cranes are NOT just the tower cranes, but also crowler/mobile ones and there are tons of them around as well.

Harkeb, no one from Dubai forumers cares what you think, considering your history in here. Just enjoy Seoul, which you choose over Dubai and let go the rest.
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 02:23 PM   #44
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkerb
What's the point of this thread? Arrogant, bragging threads like this just provoke more Dubai bashing. The settlement already does not have a very good image around here; and you are not helping.
Amen. Valid point. Sometimes these forums feel like a temple to Dubai fanatics. They make is sound like Dubai is the ultimate city and everybody should abandon their cities for Dubai. Its becoming a centre of mass whoshiping of the city. Scary

And AltinD you are right. There are mobile cranes but still 30000? Just sounds seriously overblown. And you are wrong to bash Harkerb as such. Your behaviour sometimes in these forums is extremely hostile to anybody who does not adore Dubai.
WhiteMagick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 02:44 PM   #45
pookgai

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD
Cranes are NOT just the tower cranes, but also crowler/mobile ones and there are tons of them around as well.

Harkeb, no one from Dubai forumers cares what you think, considering your history in here. Just enjoy Seoul, which you choose over Dubai and let go the rest.
Can we keep the personal attacks to ourselves please!

This thread does not belong in Highrise News and Developments for a start. It offers nothing new.
pookgai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 06:02 PM   #46
AltinD
The Modecator

Personal ATTACK? Did I call someone names or not.

I'm just sick of "experts" who pretend to have the knowledge how of places and/or cultures they have neither experienced and visited, nor have ever cared to learn about or accept for what they really are.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 06:22 PM   #47
zee
Jelly Bean!!

Likes (Received): 17

nicely said altin
zee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 06:22 PM   #48
v:zero
Ryan Li

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybean
The reason why most people assume Dubai is the most active city worldwide is because yes, it does have extravagant projects, but also because China is only partially represented on the forums.
I think its because the Chinese are hard working people. They do not need to waste their time in a forum like this where mostly people would criticize the place instead of complementing. Yes, Shanghai probably has more projects than Dubai but we never know! The Internet is not the best place to learn stuff anymore. Somehow people are becoming experts and they pretend that they know what they are talking about. Be media literate everyone!
Old June 22nd, 2006, 06:57 PM   #49
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMagick
Amen. Valid point. Sometimes these forums feel like a temple to Dubai fanatics. They make is sound like Dubai is the ultimate city and everybody should abandon their cities for Dubai. Its becoming a centre of mass whoshiping of the city. Scary

And AltinD you are right. There are mobile cranes but still 30000? Just sounds seriously overblown. And you are wrong to bash Harkerb as such. Your behaviour sometimes in these forums is extremely hostile to anybody who does not adore Dubai.

u have no idea what u r talking about.

altin, having lived in the UAE for 7 years, is only correcting others because of their false opinions.
being a westerner and not a local from Dubai he should well know what is actually going on and what not.

it is not a hostile attitude, but one that does not accept all the wrong bashing (of course, there are points where criticism on Dubai is correct, no doubt).

i actually have a feeling this place is not a temple for Dubai fanatics, but for those who hate the city without actually having been there.

and yes, it sounds overblown, 30000 cranes, but is true.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 07:56 PM   #50
richardsonhomebuyers

Likes (Received): 1

I think I counted 29,998 in those pics. I may have missed 2 though. Who really cares how many cranes they have. We all know they are building alot there. What I wonder is if there really was that many cranes then what the hell are they building for a city of 1.5 million? Is there a limit of 50 people per building? Do they expect millions of people to come flock to the desert to fill these buildings? Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking the buildings. Alot of them look just awesome. I just can't for the life of me see the need for so many so fast.
richardsonhomebuyers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 08:28 PM   #51
Skyscraperama
Magnify!

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsonhomebuyers
I think I counted 29,998 in those pics. I may have missed 2 though. Who really cares how many cranes they have. We all know they are building alot there. What I wonder is if there really was that many cranes then what the hell are they building for a city of 1.5 million? Is there a limit of 50 people per building? Do they expect millions of people to come flock to the desert to fill these buildings? Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking the buildings. Alot of them look just awesome. I just can't for the life of me see the need for so many so fast.
It's a matter of national pride for Dubai. Building such projects is a glory for them.
Skyscraperama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 08:29 PM   #52
AltinD
The Modecator

30,000 cranes seams indeed to much, but the number 20 - 25% of cranes is being quoted over and over again and there will be a truth to that.

However I belive that the number includes also the piling rigs.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 08:57 PM   #53
malek
www.mtlurb.com

Likes (Received): 79

richardsonhomebuyers: my friend (who's parents live there and just came back from a visit) says that most building are empty.

Being bought by companies and realtors hoping to sell them and make some profit. The office sector is doing better because they're actually being filled at a decent rate.

Also, he noted that housing in dubai has become too expensive and people are flocking to the outskirts.
malek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 09:17 PM   #54
AltinD
The Modecator

- Building being empty, not so sure. Maybe he just didn't saw lights on them at night.

- Being bought by speculators: YES!!! However those buildings are still under constructions, and only a few have been delivered so far, so it doesn't mean anything.

- Office sector doing better: It seams so.

- Housing becoming more and more expensive: Definitelly!!! (Not for me though , I mean I haven't got any relevant rent increase)
Old June 22nd, 2006, 09:45 PM   #55
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

the demand for those towers is there, no doubt, which can be seen in rising costs for both apts and rents.

no matter who buys them.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 10:30 PM   #56
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3402

Quote:
Originally Posted by v:zero
I think its because the Chinese are hard working people. They do not need to waste their time in a forum like this where mostly people would criticize the place instead of complementing. Yes, Shanghai probably has more projects than Dubai but we never know! The Internet is not the best place to learn stuff anymore. Somehow people are becoming experts and they pretend that they know what they are talking about. Be media literate everyone!

I think you really believe what you said.

The people from China have big skyscraper forums.
Germans and Japanese have also big skyscraper forums. There are all in there language. SSC is not the center of the world.

The number 30.000 could be right, maybe but what i don`t believe is that 24% of all cranes are in Dubai. There are much more cranes around the world.

Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 12:14 AM   #57
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangarooMN09
WOW! Really?? how lovely! But does that make Dubai a world class city like NYC, London, Tokyo, Paris or Hong Kong?? I think not. What an utter pointless thread. And excuse me, ALtinD, are you saying the construction of the new world trade enter in NY, world financial center in Shanghai, international commerice in HK are just NOTHING??? It's probably gonna cost like over $10 billion to build the whole new WTC complex in NYC by 2011 and you think that's NOTHING??? shit, you gotta have more money than Bill Gates.
Did anyone say cranes make a world city?

Anyway, I don't believe this number either. The only way I see this number being possible is if the word "crane" is used in place of a whole variety of construction machinery.

Also the amount of cranes worldwide has to be much more than that (especially if it doesn't include just normal cranes).

BTW, this should have been posted in the boom rundown
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 01:13 AM   #58
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

yeah, i also doubt this figure for the whole world.

even though we heard such estimates ranging from 12 to 24% quite often now.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 10:36 AM   #59
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaiflo
u have no idea what u r talking about.

altin, having lived in the UAE for 7 years, is only correcting others because of their false opinions.
being a westerner and not a local from Dubai he should well know what is actually going on and what not.

it is not a hostile attitude, but one that does not accept all the wrong bashing (of course, there are points where criticism on Dubai is correct, no doubt).

i actually have a feeling this place is not a temple for Dubai fanatics, but for those who hate the city without actually having been there.

and yes, it sounds overblown, 30000 cranes, but is true.
What criticism of Dubai is right then? So far i haven't seen any tolerance of Dubai criticism yet you accept that some ic correct. What might that be? hm? What criticism of Dubai is correct?
WhiteMagick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 11:47 AM   #60
capslock
Ho hum

Likes (Received): 1654

Considering how many of Dubai's scrapers are empty, it all just seems like a big bubble to me. So many people buying them are investors, but who are they going to sell them to make their supposed profit. Other investors? Bubble bubble bubble.

Wait for the pop.