daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 5th, 2006, 03:42 PM   #21
xDieselJockx

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cebuano Exultor
Dude, I was trying to make a positive suggestion. If U.S. airports can be made to be resort-like (i.e. Singapore Changi Airport--30 million annual passengers) why not?! Look, I was just hoping that U.S. airports could have had been modernized (in every sense of the word). But I was not forcing this on America...just hoping. It's all good man.

Cheers.
Changi is a resort-like airport???? Well, almost all of the airports in the US has been or is being expanded and upgraded already, You have SFO, Chicago O'hare, Detroit just opened it's newer & modern terminal, DFW just recently opened, MCO-Orlando has always been modernized, there are other airports still unnamed for sure, smaller or bigger scale airports. They act on the demands or needs and not just because of other countries are doing this and that at their own airports.
xDieselJockx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #22
The Cebuano Exultor
Seeking Affiliation

Likes (Received): 21

@ xDieselJockx

Yeah, Singapore Changi Airport is one of the most resort-like airports in existence (Orlando's too ). Where else can you find an airport with movie theaters, a swimming pool, spas, and shower rooms.
Old July 6th, 2006, 07:16 PM   #23
xDieselJockx

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cebuano Exultor
Yeah, Singapore Changi Airport is one of the most resort-like airports in existence (Orlando's too ). Where else can you find an airport with movie theaters, a swimming pool, spas, and shower rooms.

But, is it the passengers or even transitting passengers are using it? I know if I'm a passenger, I won't go to any movie houses or swimming pool when I'm getting ready to travel. I can understaand spas, massage room or maybe shower room if you really have a long 5 hours lay-over for your next flight. Even if I am a tourist. Heck, I won't stay in an airport for that. I'll go to the actual resorts I was aiming for. Almost all International airports in the US, infact, all over the world has airport hotels within their facilities, which is mostly for a travelling business people or maybe a stranded passengers. These hotels does have all the amenities of a luxury hotels. But inside the terminal itself? If Changi does have it, it's probably not the passenger are the ones using those facilities.
Old July 6th, 2006, 07:27 PM   #24
xDieselJockx

Going back to the topic. Is DFW airport ranked one of the largest in the US or maybe the world even? If so, where does it stand? I believe ATL airport is the largest but I could be wrong.
Old July 6th, 2006, 08:41 PM   #25
ignoramus

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDieselJockx
But, is it the passengers or even transitting passengers are using it? I know if I'm a passenger, I won't go to any movie houses or swimming pool when I'm getting ready to travel. I can understaand spas, massage room or maybe shower room if you really have a long 5 hours lay-over for your next flight. Even if I am a tourist. Heck, I won't stay in an airport for that. I'll go to the actual resorts I was aiming for. Almost all International airports in the US, infact, all over the world has airport hotels within their facilities, which is mostly for a travelling business people or maybe a stranded passengers. These hotels does have all the amenities of a luxury hotels. But inside the terminal itself? If Changi does have it, it's probably not the passenger are the ones using those facilities.
Its not probably, its not true. Passengers do use them, transit passengers since Singapore Changi's a transit hub for routes from Australia to Europe. If you have a long layover you go for massages so going to watch a movie or a nice dip in the pool is no different. Its just that its another way to spend time when transiting... The word here is ''variety''.

Last edited by ignoramus; July 6th, 2006 at 08:46 PM.
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 09:09 PM   #26
Dallas star
Everything Texas

Likes (Received): 371

Before teminal D

After
Dallas star no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 09:09 PM   #27
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18182

It wouldn't make sense for many US airports such as DFW, which act as carrier hubs, to install elaborate facilities geared towards transit passengers. First, the layovers are short. Second, the flights are also short. A passenger going from the West Coast to the East Coast via DFW would only be flying about 2 hours per leg. Why would they need a spa in the middle of their journey?

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 01:31 AM   #28
xDieselJockx

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
It wouldn't make sense for many US airports such as DFW, which act as carrier hubs, to install elaborate facilities geared towards transit passengers. First, the layovers are short. Second, the flights are also short. A passenger going from the West Coast to the East Coast via DFW would only be flying about 2 hours per leg. Why would they need a spa in the middle of their journey?
Very much so hkskyline, you are right there.

With Changi, I didn't say the passengers won't use them, those with long layover most especially maybe over 5 hours, then they definitely can use the facilities but if it's 4 hours or less. You think you would plunge into a pool or see a movie? Those who would have an overnight stay would probably benefit there.
Old July 7th, 2006, 11:47 AM   #29
The Cebuano Exultor
Seeking Affiliation

Likes (Received): 21

@ xDieselJockx

I see...I think you have a point.

Anyway, you asked about DFW's size right? It is the second largest airport in physical size in the United States after the new Denver International Airport.

Although I've never been to these two airports, I've got to say, though, that the present/existing facilities of Dallas-Fort Worth Regional Airport is larger than Denver International Airport's based on pictures. Denver's is more of reserved land than actual facilities.

In terms of annual passengers, DFW would probably be fourth after Atlanta-Hartsfield Jackson International Airport (ATL), Chicago O'Hare International Airport, and Los Angeles International Airport (LAX).

It's good to note that once in history it was the 2nd busiest in terms of annual passengers after Chicago O'Hare when Atlanta-Hartsfield was still 3rd.
Old July 7th, 2006, 08:22 PM   #30
jetmty1

Likes (Received): 3050

WHAT ABOUT TERMS OF AIRCRAFT MOVEMENTS? I THINK IT SURPASS LAX IN THIS CATEGORY.

I REMEMBER WATCHING AN AD OF DFW STATING "2ND NOW, SOON THE WORLD BUSIEST" SOMETHING LIKE THAT.....I THINK THINGS DIDNT CAME OUT AS PLANNED..... DOES THIS HAD TO DO WITH THE PULL OUT OF DELTA???
Old January 12th, 2010, 05:37 PM   #31
dfwcre8tive

Likes (Received): 26

DAL | Dallas Love Field Airport

Dallas Love Field (DAL) is getting a new terminal in 2011. This will demolish the existing concourses and replace them with one 20-gate central concourse. Discussion is also underway about the underground people mover to connect the airport to the DART Love Field Station (now under construction).

Here's the website to the modernization project: http://www.lovefieldmodernizationprogram.com/

dfwcre8tive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 05:40 PM   #32
dfwcre8tive

And the current facility (photos by LoneStarMike posted here: http://forum.dallasmetropolis.com/sh...&postcount=184)

Saturday November 28, 2009

01. Main Lobby. There were a lot fewer people the Saturday after Thanksgiving than there were the Saturday after Christmas.

02. West Concourse

03. Gate 9 in West Concourse

Tuesday December 22, 2009

04. Arriving at West Concourse

Saturday December 26, 2009

05. East Concourse

06. View of Downtown from plane on taxi-out

07. Love Field aerial

08. Love Field aerial

09. Love Field aerial

10. Love Field aerial - terminal & passenger concourses

geometarkv liked this post
Old January 12th, 2010, 05:46 PM   #33
dfwcre8tive

And some historical photos from the modernization website, just for fun:

Old August 5th, 2010, 07:05 PM   #34
dfwcre8tive

Here are some interesting old diagrams from DFW's opening...

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dfwcre8...7618842236092/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dfwcre8...7624068060607/
Old August 5th, 2010, 07:08 PM   #35
dfwcre8tive

D/FW Airport OKs design work on terminals
12:00 AM CDT on Wednesday, May 5, 2010
By ERIC TORBENSON / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...1.4431c3f.html

Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport moved closer Tuesday to launching its terminal redevelopment program when its board authorized spending $10 million to finish design work for the $2 billion project.

Preparations to close and renovate Terminal A are already under way, airport staff said in a presentation. The work will start after the 2011 Super Bowl in Arlington next February to avoid inconveniencing passengers.

The project will rip the mechanical guts out of the four 40-year-old terminals and replace them with state-of-the art gear that makes the terminals feel more like Terminal D, the newest space at D/FW.

Transportation Security Administration areas will get bigger to handle more people, and there will be better space for restaurants and shops.

Terminals will have a third of their space shut at one time to complete the work, which could take until 2017 or later.

Old August 5th, 2010, 07:11 PM   #36
dfwcre8tive

And here are the rail station plans for DFW:

http://www.dart.org/about/expansion/...ing20oct09.pdf

Last edited by dfwcre8tive; August 5th, 2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old August 5th, 2010, 07:18 PM   #37
dfwcre8tive

--

Last edited by dfwcre8tive; December 3rd, 2010 at 12:33 AM.
Old August 6th, 2010, 06:33 PM   #38
dfwcre8tive

--

Last edited by dfwcre8tive; December 3rd, 2010 at 12:34 AM.
Old August 14th, 2010, 04:28 AM   #39
GTR66
GTR66

Likes (Received): 312

looks good for Dallas love. cant wait to see it all done.
GTR66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 06:07 AM   #40
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 848

The original plan for the Dallas-Fort Worth Airport was for it to have expanded to 13 to 14 terminals about a century after its 1974 opening. Only half of the easternmost north-south runway is depicted in the original rendering. And Terminal D is not in the same semicircular footprint like the other terminals. And what is the purpose of the satellite terminals to the north and south of the main terminal area?

That expansion plan would have been ambitious, even for the mid-70s.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dallas, northamerica airport hubs, texas, us airports