daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 7th, 2006, 03:53 PM   #281
Krazy
Kool Kat

Likes (Received): 35

From SSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugbelch
Krazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2006, 04:04 PM   #282
megatower
BANNED

Likes (Received): 34

well another thing is under were it say's ( Burj Dubai takes shape ) under it say's (Staff Report) who's the staff too? that nows this info

And i think GOOGLEPEAKOIL is right about being floors above the core. i am 100% with him

so indicating there must be floors above the concrete core but is it a really possible thing that could happen?
megatower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 04:54 PM   #283
Stephan23
Bonsai

Likes (Received): 93

It's so boring these days. No new tower or pictures for Dubai
Old July 7th, 2006, 05:23 PM   #284
vinouz

Likes (Received): 1

STR > you say the structure is too thin for there be occupied floors, but what about a small observation deck with stairs climbing up.

People still manage everyday to fit inside the skull of the Statue of Liberty without complaining the space is too small.

I don't even talk about the Sagrada familia...

So, do you mean unoccupied as having no furniture ? Besides this, a small elevator, such as the ones installed in many church towers, could easily fit into the structure.

Please, be more precise in how and what you can assert there be not.

I'm OK to climb the last 180 meters .
vinouz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 06:08 PM   #285
DamienK

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy
btw what does KLCC stand fer?
Kuala Lumpur City Centre, the name for the overall complex.
Old July 7th, 2006, 09:37 PM   #286
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinouz
STR > you say the structure is too thin for there be occupied floors, but what about a small observation deck with stairs climbing up.

People still manage everyday to fit inside the skull of the Statue of Liberty without complaining the space is too small.
There's space inthe spire for people to move around, but not above 700m. By the time it hits 700m, any floor plate would be 2-3 meters square. you'd need a ladder to get up there.
Old July 7th, 2006, 09:58 PM   #287
desirous

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR
There's space inthe spire for people to move around, but not above 700m. By the time it hits 700m, any floor plate would be 2-3 meters square. you'd need a ladder to get up there.
That would be so much fun for us skyscraper buffs: have a 20-story condo with 50 square foot floors and a little personal elevator. :p
desirous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 12:41 AM   #288
dettol
Logarithm

Likes (Received): 7

I couldnt agree more! I wouldnt mind walking the extra few flights of stairs. But its not economically feasible due to the sheer cost of maintaining them. Imagine having to pump water that little bit higher and regulating the pressure when waste is moved back down.. One of them would cost the same as floor plates at least twice the size.

Also, im guessing the spire is going to be used, in part, to dampen the effects of the wind on the rest of the structure. Seeing as it will be steel rather than concrete, im guessing its going to sway quite dramatically up there, which could be fun :P

Last edited by dettol; July 8th, 2006 at 05:09 AM.
dettol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 03:52 AM   #289
Jamandell (d69)
Skyscraperholic

Likes (Received): 229

It's a shame that the observatory is so much lower that the overall height of the tower, I know it's hard, but couldn't they at least have it above the offices and the communication levels?
Jamandell (d69) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 04:08 AM   #290
megatower
BANNED

Likes (Received): 34

well how much sqft does the core.
and depends on how much sqft it has because if it has at least close to 1.000 sqft they should be occupied and the reason why is that a good seize office is around 100 sqft.but what i dont get is why the hell why build a steel frame if they arent going to occupie it with floors (but i know they cant pump concrete that high).but why not just have 75% of the steel frame be occupied and the rest could be used for the spire.just like they said the foundation could support 950 meters. so they could just take the spire and bulit it close to 950 meters well instead of having a big part at the top just seating there and not being occupied. so if they were occupied you could see this spire up closer then you would if you were not going to occupie the unoccupied floors so it would be pretty amaizeing to see this spire close to your office or what ever they would use it for.
megatower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 12:44 PM   #291
melkor

Likes (Received): 5

Taken two days ago:

melkor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 01:17 PM   #292
Shad
Sup ?

Likes (Received): 6

Nice!
Shad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 01:33 PM   #293
Darth Shemp
Armani

Looks straight to me.
Darth Shemp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 03:03 PM   #294
zee
Jelly Bean!!

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan23
It's so boring these days. No new tower or pictures for Dubai
i absolutely agree...the uae section has been dead for a couple of weeks now
zee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 03:41 PM   #295
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10144

these diagrams make sense.above lev160 or concrete section, there is the "spire" section and then the "pinnacle" part.
i reckon the spire section will have many accessable levels for communications etc. then the spire wil top that with maybe a small ladder or not.
The 93m spire attached to the 322m Q1 Tower measures 2.4m dia tappering to 1m and has internal access all the way up to top beacon light. which has to be accessed by electricians annually. the spire sways up to a 1m and has a flip open platform at 321m height.lol
at last a recent shot.! ta melkor
hard to make out but i count maybe lev54 in corebox?

scaling off these elevations-

height to lev124 ob deck=485m
height to lev156 or top of concrete=585m
height to lev160=640m
height to base of spire=745m
height to pinnacle=808m.

Last edited by CULWULLA; July 8th, 2006 at 03:49 PM.
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 04:27 PM   #296
CULWULLA

curren height if lev54 = 210m.
i was thinking if lev160 = approx 620m, then the top steel spire section which seems to reach approx 740m, (pinnacle adds a further 70m -totals 808m ),
thus you have 120m of enclosed structure which could accomodate 3o or so uninhabatble floors/platforms ,thus the 189floors we keep hearing bout?
Old July 8th, 2006, 04:34 PM   #297
Stephan23
Bonsai

Likes (Received): 93

Now it's gonna be more and more interesting about the floor height!!! The 60 floor will fall soon!!
Old July 8th, 2006, 04:39 PM   #298
Harborist

Quote:
Originally Posted by melkor
Taken two days ago:

I never realized now big the "History Rising" sign until this picture gave some idea of its size - it must be a good 20 meters tall. Maybe a 1:40 scale drawing?
Harborist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 04:44 PM   #299
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

Culwulla and STR thanks for your great work and your dedication to inform and update us!

I have tried to calculate at which height the observatory will be located.I calculate so:

210m / 54 = 3.89
123 * 3.89 = 478

So the observatory is located at a height of 478m is that right.Semms a bit to lowly to me.I anticipated a ob by a building like that on a height of not less than 500m!
germantower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 04:56 PM   #300
CULWULLA

close. ive worked out lev124= about 485m. definately not much higher. yes its alot lower then spire height or roof height but you have to think about the logistics with getting the public up and down with the lifts.not sure how spacious lev124 will be but you would want to to hold a few hundred people at any one time.
So 485m will be highest observation in world? im sure its higher then any of the 6 observation levels on SWFC?
The 100th floor of SWFC will be 475m high! so Burj just beats it!

The 500m Solar Tower planned to start next year in Buronga (outback NSW, 800km west of Sydney) is planning to have its summit rim accessed by a passenger lift which means it will be apprx 500m above grd, so that might have record. we will have to see.
cheers

Last edited by CULWULLA; July 8th, 2006 at 05:05 PM.