daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 23rd, 2006, 12:42 AM   #41
Jay

Likes (Received): 1865

Yea well, their unwillingness and vagueness in realesing an actual height is what's causing speculation.

I can't imagine the tower going to 950m with a base that size (Yes it's bigger than it looks I know) most news articles out there put the burj at 6-700m, No one aside from the developers know the actual height, So I guess we'll find out when it's done. There's nothing wrong with speculating, no one thinks their 100% right.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2006, 12:49 AM   #42
Krazy
Kool Kat

Likes (Received): 35

And Abbar is the developer, the chairman of EMAAR. So he should know the best.

Anyway, let's just assume for the time being that it's going to be between 800 and 900m.
Krazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 01:03 AM   #43
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

i wonder which articles actually put it in the 600 to 700 range. not even one clearly stated so in fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy
a 600m+ tower with a 100m spire will make it look ugly!

don't get that one..
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 01:09 AM   #44
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 126

I think he means a 100m flagpole type spire.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 02:36 AM   #45
urban_phx

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahmani
How did they make that in sim city world?
with a program called gmax
urban_phx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 04:26 AM   #46
Krazy
Kool Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaiflo
don't get that one..
I meant, considering the design of Burj Dubai, the propotion is not right if the tower itself is 600m and the spire is 100m.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 05:23 AM   #47
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10349

from what ive heard and read over past few months is that big burj will consist of at least 160 floors which equates to 600m and spire structure will reach at least 800m.
i think we can assume this is pretty close to what will eventually be built. lets just watch the next wonder of the world rise before us!
The thing is with the superior design of Burj Dubai, you wont see where spire structure starts! it will have same external finish as habitable floors, so wont look added on like Sears or petronas. sort of like Chyrsler bldg, not real cut off point. Even 600m roof is over 100m higher then next highest roof on completion.
CHEERS
go soccer00s!!

Last edited by CULWULLA; June 23rd, 2006 at 05:50 AM.
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 10:33 AM   #48
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

I was told by some architects i know that any buildings above 500m are thought to be highly costly to maintain. Does the design int he article really reduce the costs or the danger for winds to damage the structure?

I think its boing to be 600m of habitable structure and then 200m spire. The spire blends it really nice with the rest of the structure. It really won't be ungly.
WhiteMagick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 12:31 PM   #49
vinouz

Here in Paris I'm working just by a 300+m spire which doesn't look that bad at all ...

Well, I guess the Burj Dubai top shouldn't really be considered a spire since part of it will have a real interior, and the same finish than the rest of the building.

Besides this, it's not because it cannot contain big elevator machinery that it won't be habitable. Lifts with machinery at the base are quite frequent, and this part may not need big performance, since it will only serve something like 5 floors at most, and not for tourists since the observation deck is situated below.

So I guess, a machinery level at or just under the base of the spire can serve the floors below and the floors over. That way the spire will be practicable, even if not much crowded (but here we're talking a lucky few having a lounge or conference room over 650m).

My personal final guess has stopped at exactly 808m total height, given informations in the forum and everywhere else.

Let's see if I'm right .

Vincent.

Last edited by vinouz; June 23rd, 2006 at 12:38 PM.
vinouz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 04:30 PM   #50
SpaceScraper
SpaceScraper

Likes (Received): 8

Is There a Point to Secrecy

Is there a point to keeping the height of Burj Dubai a secret anymore? Kuwait and Bahrain have already annouced proposals for 1,000M buildings, a height Burj Dubai will never match. The Burj Dubai is only 2.5 years away from completion and there is no other WTB contender under construction; so, its status as a multi-year WTB is assured. Furthermore, the Burj Dubai's splendid architecture makes it remarkable in it own right. Burj Dubai will imspire awe and tourism long after it has been replaced as the WTB in the same way the Eiffel Tower does today.

At this point, vanity and ego are are the only reasons left to keep the height of the Burj Dubai unconfirmed. I won't call it a secret since the 808m height Vincent mentions is freqently speculated.
SpaceScraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 04:36 PM   #51
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

Bahrain has NO 1,000 m building proposal. That Danish (or Dutch) proposal was just a competition entry for a project that was won by another Architechtural studio, that doesn't include a supertall in the masterplan.
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 04:40 PM   #52
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceScraper

At this point, vanity and ego are are the only reasons left to keep the height of the Burj Dubai unconfirmed. I won't call it a secret since the 808m height Vincent mentions is freqently speculated.
Yes there is a point to keep the height secret. It acts as a marketing gimmick for this tower and helps keep interest in it (which has been successful at doing so far).
Old June 23rd, 2006, 04:56 PM   #53
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

It is only the supertall in Kuwait which will take at least 10 years to be built and well.. another one in Dubai, Al Burj.

Even though i doubt it will be taller than Burj Dubai except if the City of Silk projects get serious, e.g the tower is UC.

anyway, as malec has pointed out it is all about marketing.
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 06:13 PM   #54
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Time to start building the rest of the towers
Old June 23rd, 2006, 06:15 PM   #55
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 83

That looks more like a war zone that a building site.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 08:16 PM   #56
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysimo123
That looks more like a war zone that a building site.
Yeah its really ugly but it won't be too long before the bare sand and desert soil is replaced with lush green grass and trees. Hopefully.
WhiteMagick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 08:57 PM   #57
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6563

in 10 Years + Dubai will be the greatest and best looking town on the world i think.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 10:01 PM   #58
Krazy
Kool Kat

Old June 23rd, 2006, 11:00 PM   #59
BinALAin
Me No English

thanks Malec and Krazy

Dubai Ruler and UAE Minister of Defence, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
BinALAin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 11:06 PM   #60
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 231

There is so much construction it is immense. The Burj Dubai si looking great! I just want to see it now, forget when it's finished. It's a structure and a half as it is whilst underconstruction. I would love to see it in the bare bones and the bare skeleton. Shame I can't quite afford it...
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote