daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old January 1st, 2007, 11:56 PM   #61
612Buddha
Registered Pimp
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 75
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
That's not true.

The majority of malls, I'd agree with you - but there are some malls which truly are wonderful. Again, I direct you to Pacific Place. It's elegance is a beauty to behold.
I agree with Pacific Place. That mall is stunning! I stayed at the JW Marriott and the mall was directly underneath the hotel complex and the design is impeccable. Easy to get to with the metro station right there as well.
612Buddha no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2007, 12:29 AM   #62
Zaki
Joi Bangla
 
Zaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,236
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonAmeneiro View Post
Well, developing countries are using now malls as a symbol to show the world how "developed" they are, so that's why for them it's such a big deal to build the biggest or most opulent mall.

In my opinion, malls are sometimes convenient because as Mr. Denmark pointed out, they do offer some advantages (like extense [and free] parking area), but I still prefer street shopping...
Actually, atleast in my country (bangladesh) malls are built because their air conditionedand sheltered from the rain. Street shopping in a monsoon prone tropical country isn't the same as europe. And the reason why bigger and nicer mals are built is because different malls compete with each other to attract more customers.
Zaki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 12:45 AM   #63
lilili_always
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 251
Likes (Received): 0

I prefer shopping in mall than in the streets, just becasuse i hate the hot in summer and the cold in winter. In a mall you always have a perfect temperature. i love going to mall in a rainy day. And you can eat, go to the movies, shopping, and go to small amusement parks all in the same place What's better than that?
lilili_always no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 04:06 AM   #64
Metropolitan
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,362
Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilili_always View Post
I prefer shopping in mall than in the streets, just becasuse i hate the hot in summer and the cold in winter. In a mall you always have a perfect temperature. i love going to mall in a rainy day. And you can eat, go to the movies, shopping, and go to small amusement parks all in the same place What's better than that?
Personally, I prefer shopping in streets than in malls, for the simple reason that street shops are just below my appartment and I don't need to get the car to go to them.

When I've moved in my appartment, I was so glad to have a basement car park with my own park place that I thought it would be great to buy food in the hypermarket of the nearest mall. Very fastly, I realized that it wasn't actually cheaper than in my street supermarkets, that it took much more time because of the need to take the car, and that it was insanely overcrowded.

Three reasons why now my daily shopping is almost exclusively made in the streets.
Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 10:00 PM   #65
DrT
"The Ignorant Fool"
 
DrT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: JAX,MCO,YVR,YYZ,SRQ
Posts: 2,579
Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnifor View Post
I think the era of the mall has come to an end in the US, at least in terms of new construction. People don't seem to like to go there as much as they did in the '60s, '70s and '80s. When I was a little kid going to the mall was an event, it was a place to hang out. Now it is just a place to buy things and not a cultural institution, thank God.

Plenty of developers would disagree.
There is a proposal to expand the Mall of America by an additional 5.6 million square feet (to a total of 9.8 million SF). Go to http://www.ci.bloomington.mn.us/main..._ph2.htm#Plans for details.
This will put it up there with the Dubai big boys.

Last edited by DrT; January 2nd, 2007 at 10:14 PM. Reason: link vB code missing
DrT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 01:06 AM   #66
AfricanWarrior
The Last Tribe
 
AfricanWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 98
Likes (Received): 1

Street Shopping is comparable into buying something in a convenient store. Its close by, walking distance, no parking worries and it’s convenient.


image hosted on flickr

Canal Walk at Century City: The largest shopping centre in Africa ( or so they say ) with close to 400 shops and more to come, offering comparative and compelling retail experience under 1 roof in Africa. There are numerous restaurants and bars and a variety of evening entertainment in the grand hall, theatre rooms cinemas and now there is a new outdoor plaza with even more restaurants opened as well
The striking Neo-Classical architecture of Canal Walk Shopping Center is loved and hated. One undeniable fact is that it is a spectacular landmark in Cape Town. The ice-cream dome seen here on the right is typical of the center and is one of a few, which can be seen for kilometers away
__________________
Check out one of Africa's Beauty Click Here
AfricanWarrior no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 02:09 AM   #67
TroyBoy
Registered User
 
TroyBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 778
Likes (Received): 15

With the addition to mall of america where would that put it on the list?
__________________
OMG!!! ACH NEIN!!! DER ERLKONIG KOMMET
I GET HIGH OFF OF BEING HIGH
TroyBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 03:55 PM   #68
Mekky II
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,806
Likes (Received): 16

So old fashion those people, making your shopping by internet is possible, you don't even need to move ! and you can care of your children.

poor developping countries
Mekky II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 05:10 PM   #69
wynngd
HRH
 
wynngd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lothlórien
Posts: 958
Likes (Received): 201

In my opinion street or mall shopping is a lot better, exciting and healthier than sitting in front of your computer. Not even in developing countries but in the old days of greek civilization that the center of the community is the market (agora) which people socialized. In this generation, I can see that the malls (especially in hot and humid area, tropical areas) are replacing the usual street markets and even parks so you can socialized with your friends, family members and take your kids for fun rides and walk. Malls as what other people think is not just a place for shopping, there are bowling lanes, billiards, ice skating rink, bars and cinemas where you and your family could go to spend time together. I don't think that these amenities are something you can get from your computer and from the internet. IMHO

Last edited by wynngd; January 3rd, 2007 at 05:13 PM. Reason: correct some spellings
wynngd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 05:10 PM   #70
wynngd
HRH
 
wynngd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lothlórien
Posts: 958
Likes (Received): 201

-deleted-

Last edited by wynngd; January 3rd, 2007 at 05:16 PM. Reason: redundant entry
wynngd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 06:05 PM   #71
Mekky II
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,806
Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynngd View Post
I don't think that these amenities are something you can get from your computer and from the internet. IMHO
To be rich means that you can have everything as close as possible of you, basically shopping malls are not built for rich people but mostly for middle-class. Rich people don't like "popular" stuffs, they prefer little stores with lot of people to serve them and with good interior design. And for activities, they will prefer go in private cinemas or specialized areas (for billiard, bars and so on, with maybe higher prices, but an higher quality) and not inside a Shopping Mall "all in one" ! You will never see Bill Gates going to shopping mall, it's the shopping mall that will go to him. Shopping by internet will represent 200 billions USD by 2010.

The modern day Agora is Townhall. Shopping Mall is a house of capitalism, not of socialism.
Mekky II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 06:39 PM   #72
wynngd
HRH
 
wynngd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lothlórien
Posts: 958
Likes (Received): 201

Yeah yeah right... you are rich and you can buy the whole world man... Then if you are rich why are you wasting your time looking into a thread about malls which are for middle class people as your highness says?

So far not all people who go to the mall is just to spend money, that's the next thing in their list. Some of them goes there to play bowling, billiards, ice skating, and let their kitds have fun in the indoor amusement area for kids. You know something that middle class people or normal people do since they don't have the big Money to buy one for their own, to satisfy themselves and leave a happy life with their family and friends.
wynngd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 06:49 PM   #73
wynngd
HRH
 
wynngd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lothlórien
Posts: 958
Likes (Received): 201

Well going back to the thread. I love the malls in Bangkok its very beautiful!

I like the mall in KL with a river inside the mall. I'll try to visit that mall one of these days.

Jakarta and India has a lot of surprisingly fantastic malls. very far from what I imagined.

Dubai is really in the forefront of the state of the art development not only for tall skyscrapers but for huge malls.

Manila already mastered the supermalls but I think we need to do more agressive architectural design like that of Bangkok and KL. (IMHO). well, in fairness I love greenbelt malls ( I always hang there with my friends till 2 AM) and MOA it's big and I love the location by the bay.

China - I haven't seen much of mainland China malls but I'm sure they have great malls out there.

Hongkong - Fantastic city, but I know street shopping is the best way of shopping here. Like in Taiwan

IMO Asia is the capital for SuperMalls. I've been in San Jose, California and the biggest mall I've been there is only a quarter or less as big as that of SM Megamall in Phil.

Last edited by wynngd; January 3rd, 2007 at 06:51 PM. Reason: typo error
wynngd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 05:52 AM   #74
Yongo
Registered User
 
Yongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Dublín
Posts: 9,616
Likes (Received): 314






AEROMALL will be the largest mall in Latin America. It enjoys an amazing location between ‘Santa Fe’ and ‘Los Campitos’ at the south-east area of Caracas (Venezuela), it is the largest shopping center and entertainment center in Latin America with 620,000 square meters of construction, and 150,000 square meters of commerce.

The only one with a great area of entertainment for the whole family integrating, fun, shopping and relax. In the area of entertainment it has a park of 60,000 square meters and 8 roller coasters for both, adults and children. Because of the crystal roof of the mall, you will be able to see them from all levels. It will also have a big wheel, an ice skating rink, and a heliport.

It will have an auditorium capable of holding up to 4,500 people where concerts, expositions and great events could take place. It will also have a gigantic acuarium inside the mall’s corridors. A great amount of night clubs, restaurants of high quality (nationals and internationals), to offer a great gastronomical variety, all of them with a great view of Caracas’ valley. This mall will hav 12,500 parking spots to satisfy the busy trafic of visits because of the diversity in the atractions.

Five bridges are being built with the goal of keeping the access to the mall as simple as possible. It will have a great amount of escalators, elevators and ample corridors that will connect the different wings in the mall.

- Great Location
- Easy access and 5 additional bridges.
- Entertainment Park
- 8 Roller coasters for adults and children.
- A roller coaster shaped as a motorcycle will go around the mall
- A giant wheel
- 620.000 Square meters of construction.
- 60.000 Square meters of entertainment for kids.
- 150.000 Square meters of commerce
- 12.500 Parking Spots
- Washrooms with family hall.
- Auditorium.
- Aquarium
- Ice skating rink
- Restaurants and 60 night clubs
Yongo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 08:07 AM   #75
megatower
BANNED
 
megatower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: chicago
Posts: 1,214
Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaquin View Post
How can these behemoth projects in Dubai turn in a profit, the city does not even have two million people in the metropolitan area and yet they are building like they need to be NYC by tomorrow! How can such Dubai Mall actually make money?
very easily Tourists, by the way who has the worlds biggest mall right now ?
megatower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 09:23 AM   #76
wafu21m
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 153
Likes (Received): 6

greenbelt makati, philippines

greenbelt, considered an oasis













wafu21m no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 09:49 AM   #77
AfricanWarrior
The Last Tribe
 
AfricanWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 98
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekky II View Post
To be rich means that you can have everything as close as possible of you, basically shopping malls are not built for rich people but mostly for middle-class. Rich people don't like "popular" stuffs, they prefer little stores with lot of people to serve them and with good interior design. And for activities, they will prefer go in private cinemas or specialized areas (for billiard, bars and so on, with maybe higher prices, but an higher quality) and not inside a Shopping Mall "all in one" ! You will never see Bill Gates going to shopping mall, it's the shopping mall that will go to him. Shopping by internet will represent 200 billions USD by 2010.

The modern day Agora is Townhall. Shopping Mall is a house of capitalism, not of socialism.
You must be rich like Bill Gates
__________________
Check out one of Africa's Beauty Click Here
AfricanWarrior no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu