daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 20th, 2013, 11:13 AM   #201
Ashis Mitra

Likes (Received): 1144

Tianjin always reminds my city Kolkata. Both cities’ metro uses third rail. Recently Tianjin constructed line 2, 3 & 9 very quickly, comparing line 1, which was constructed very slowly.

I’ve some questions (arose after viewing some websites). Please answer one by one –
1) Left side, right side or both sides, - which type of platforms are in most numbers in Tianjin subway network?
2) Which is the highest & deepest station of Tianjin metro?
3) Which is the busiest metro station?
4) Which stations have interchange facility with suburban rail network?
5) Where is/are the depot(s) of the subway network?
6) Why line 9 constructed earlier, jumping directly from line 1, omitting line 2 to 8?
7) Why line 9 also called Jinbin light rail? It is no doubt a metro line, not light rail.
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2013, 11:15 AM   #202
Ashis Mitra

Thankfully, Tianjin returned tram, after rectifying its early mistake, like Shanghai. But why Tianjin chose rubber tyred tram? It is much costly, the infrastructure is also costly, and it needs regular maintenance. Conventional steel wheeled tram is easier to install, run, & maintenance.

I suggest if they plan any new tram lines, they should build those as steel wheeled tram.

This was old tram system

Highcliff liked this post
Old July 20th, 2013, 02:18 PM   #203
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1934

6) Things are even worse: AFAIK there was no other lines when line 9 opened , as line 1 was closed down for reconstruction then. And it wasn't line 9 either, it was line B1. Only when they started to open the section towards the railway station it was renumbered to line 9.

7) Chinese thing. They like to call 轻轨 (Qīngguǐ, "light rail") to all elevated lines, while the only light rail lines in China are the two Changchun has. Line 9 is indeed full metro.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2013, 07:09 AM   #204
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

These systems have proven themselves to be inferior. I think a far better alternative is Railbuses..................articulated buses that caan run on standard railway tracks or regular roads. It's an old technology and were quite common in Germany and Britain. They use standard modified buses, make excellent use of existing rail/road infrastructure, are much cheaper to run than small commuter rail cars, and get rid of one the largest impediments of attracting transit ridership..........."the last mile".
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2013, 11:49 AM   #205
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6894

3) Tianjinzhan
4) Tianjinzhan, if Line 9 counts. Otherwise there's no real suburban rail.
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2013, 06:07 PM   #206
Ashis Mitra

Thanks to both for giving answers.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 06:12 PM   #207
Ashis Mitra

Is it an electric transport like trollybus? If not, they will create pollution.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 07:10 PM   #208
ssiguy2

The only 2 advantages over regular trams that I can see is that the rubber tires give it better incline abilities than a regular steel on steel tram and that the system would be quieter.

Were these the reasons why they choose the system in the first place? If not then was it cheaper to install and/or run than regular trams?
Old July 23rd, 2013, 12:27 AM   #209
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Rubber tired trams... *shudder*
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2013, 04:04 AM   #210
ssiguy2

^ I bet people once thought the same about rubber tired Metros.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 05:13 AM   #211
Silly_Walks

I still think that.

They just exist to support France's rubber industry. For some few metro lines with steep inclinations they might make sense.

Rubber-tired trams are almost always worse than trams and buses.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 07:00 AM   #212
ssiguy2

Perhaps the French rubber industry is why they started in France, I don't know. I can tell you, however, that they are more comfortably and much quieter than regular Metro cars.
The quietness in and outside the Montreal Metro trains is bliss when compared to the numbing scretch of Toronto's subway.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 06:10 PM   #213
Silly_Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
I can tell you, however, that they are more comfortably and much quieter than regular Metro cars.
I can tell you from MY experience that the rubber-tyred metros in Paris are far less comfortable than regular metros. They bump left and right and they accelerate and brake too jerky.
Old July 24th, 2013, 04:35 AM   #214
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1675

couldn't a computer steer the axles of a multi-articulated bus without the need for a guide rail?

I suspect these things exist because of the irrational affinity for trams that some politicians have combined with the need to save money.

It's like how a lot of cheeses are colored orange due to tradition. There is no reason for it.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 05:00 AM   #215
Silly_Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
couldn't a computer steer the axles of a multi-articulated bus without the need for a guide rail?

I suspect these things exist because of the irrational affinity for trams that some politicians have combined with the need to save money.

It's like how a lot of cheeses are colored orange due to tradition. There is no reason for it.
The irrational affinity of being able to carry more people for less money? Yes, veeeery irrational.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 11:00 AM   #216
Ashis Mitra

PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE OF TIANJIN TRAM

I found that typing TRAMS IN TIANJIN in wikipedia will show best articles about Tianjin’s previous tram network, & modern tram details also by typing TEDA MODERN GUIDED RAIL TRAM.

Could anybody show me the area served by the previous tram on the map of Tianjin/ Tianjin metro?

Last edited by Ashis Mitra; August 3rd, 2013 at 11:00 AM. Reason: mistake
Old August 6th, 2013, 10:46 AM   #217
Ashis Mitra

The old Tianjin tram used to be the favourite urban transportation for the residents from all walks of life, in particular the folks at the grassroots level, due to its high frequency, its low cost and its easiness to leap on and jump off board, while the reincarnated tram (modern rubber tyred tram) is more like to be designed for a planned VIP trip. It gains speed, gains efficiency, gains order, gains stability, but the lively dynamism, the social inclusion and the human touch seem to be somewhat missing. Can we regain those lost qualities?
Old August 9th, 2013, 06:49 PM   #218
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

The Jianguo Dao gap on line 2 will be completed on August 28.
Old August 15th, 2013, 10:28 AM   #219
Ashis Mitra

Is there any extension planned? If yes, please write some about that with a full map of future tram lines.
Old August 15th, 2013, 10:31 AM   #220
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

No.

Tags
metro, tianjin, tram