daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 1st, 2012, 05:52 PM   #161
George08
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Woonsocket54

Thanks, now i see the pictures
George08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 1st, 2012, 06:59 PM   #162
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Can't see the pictures, apparently they don't allow hotlinking.
Old October 1st, 2012, 07:25 PM   #163
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6892

Accurate current system map:

BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2012, 07:42 PM   #164
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5737

All the pictures that I unsuccessfully hotlinked are here:

http://bbs.enorth.com.cn/thread-4077934-1-1.html
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2012, 08:27 PM   #165
Geography

Likes (Received): 104

Those long pinyin names are painful to read. The Tianjin metro should just translate them into English, then hire a foreigner to edit them and prevent any bad Chinglish. It wouldn't cost much money and would make the metro more friendly to foreigners.
Geography no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2012, 08:29 PM   #166
Geography

Likes (Received): 104

I love the long mural and classical ceiling and lighting! They are classy and beautiful.
Geography no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2012, 09:06 PM   #167
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography View Post
Those long pinyin names are painful to read. The Tianjin metro should just translate them into English, then hire a foreigner to edit them and prevent any bad Chinglish. It wouldn't cost much money and would make the metro more friendly to foreigners.
The problem with that is that the local Chinese would not know and never use the translated English names, so it would be difficult to ask for directions if you only know the English name.

That said, some station names should clearly be both translated and transliterated (e.g. Tianjinzhan - Tianjin Railway Station), with perhaps the translated name appearing in smaller font in signs.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 01:49 PM   #168
VECTROTALENZIS
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Likes (Received): 4434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
All the pictures that I unsuccessfully hotlinked are here:

http://bbs.enorth.com.cn/thread-4077934-1-1.html
I don't know, but it looks a bit tacky compared to new lines in other Chinese cities. It doesn't look fresh and neat, it already looks a couple of years outdated. And the stations have the classic/grand aesthic that gives a Soviet/North Korea vibe.

Sorry but I've never been really impressed of Tianjin inculding the metro. It doesn't feel like a huge bustling city, but rather a huge,sleepy, sprawly, and dull suburb. There is lack of density even compared to Beijing which at least have taller and denser buildings. The city center is really tiny for its size and pales in comparison in terms of vibrancy to up and coming cities sich as Wuhan, Chengdu, Chongqing, Xi'an or even smaller cities such as Changsha, Kunming and Guiyang.
And doesn't help when they are building those Disneyland-esque "Italian towns" and "Foreign concessions"...
VECTROTALENZIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2012, 05:20 PM   #169
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by VECTROTALENZIS View Post
And the stations have the classic/grand aesthic that gives a Soviet/North Korea vibe.
This is usually considered to be the best that subway architecture can be.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 05:58 PM   #170
saiho

Likes (Received): 1287

Quote:
I don't know, but it looks a bit tacky compared to new lines in other Chinese cities. It doesn't look fresh and neat, it already looks a couple of years outdated. And the stations have the classic/grand aesthic that gives a Soviet/North Korea vibe.
I think it has to to do with the fact that the stations were designed couple of years ago but it took forever (in chinese terms) to build them.

Quote:
Sorry but I've never been really impressed of Tianjin inculding the metro. It doesn't feel like a huge bustling city, but rather a huge,sleepy, sprawly, and dull suburb. There is lack of density even compared to Beijing which at least have taller and denser buildings. The city center is really tiny for its size and pales in comparison in terms of vibrancy to up and coming cities sich as Wuhan, Chengdu, Chongqing, Xi'an or even smaller cities such as Changsha, Kunming and Guiyang.
And doesn't help when they are building those Disneyland-esque "Italian towns" and "Foreign concessions"...
I agree Tianjin as a whole can be a bland suburb. Yet its also very tacky with the fake euro architecture; if its are not that then they are very very un-urban crappy developments like tianjin 117 etc.
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2012, 08:13 PM   #171
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

For the most part, Tianjin is pretty dense and compact (new areas are of course the opposite). It's not the most packed on the streets but I never had a problem with it since it's not too crowded, yet everything is still close by. The main problem is Tianjin has only very recently really started getting developed...just 5 years ago there were slums in huge parts of the city and there are still a few left. As they got demolished that left large empty plots that haven't all gotten developed yet. Despite per capita GDP now being the highest in China the physical environment is still a bit behind and people still dress pretty simply. I don't really have a problem with it, just few people feel the need to show off, but Tianjin has changed a lot recently, and in 5 years it will be certainly be a lot different from now. The metro expansion is an important step in Tianjin becoming a true big city.

And yeah...Tianjin for the most part looks like a somewhat sleepy suburb, lots of commieblocks everywhere, but the downtown is actually a really nice hidden gem. Tons of really nice architecture that's not very well maintained on lots of side streets. But only two streets in downtown have been pedestrianized so that's why it seems "small."

Last edited by BarbaricManchurian; October 2nd, 2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 09:21 PM   #172
VECTROTALENZIS
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Likes (Received): 4434

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiho View Post
I think it has to to do with the fact that the stations were designed couple of years ago but it took forever (in chinese terms) to build them.
Yes, this new line really looks like something they would have built 10+ years ago in the 1990s. Why are stations and trains so white? Was it so hard to give the stations at least some color?! It already looks outdated compared to the new lines in Chongqing, Chengdu, etc.
VECTROTALENZIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2012, 10:55 PM   #173
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

I think it's actually pretty good, quite unique compare to other cities ultramodern style.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 02:22 AM   #174
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
Why are stations and trains so white? Was it so hard to give the stations at least some color?! It already looks outdated compared to the new lines in Chongqing
If this is your favorite movie, then you will definitely have a different reaction to Chongqing Line 6 color scheme from the rest of us

Old October 3rd, 2012, 01:43 PM   #175
George08
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

When will be open the Line 5 and Line 6?
George08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 06:24 PM   #176
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Old October 3rd, 2012, 09:10 PM   #177
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Has line 9 opened for revenue service to the main train station, or are they still resolving ticket inteoperability issues?

Railway Gazette says Line 3 has a transfer to Line 9, but they sometimes call things wrong...
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/s...2/oktober.html
Old October 3rd, 2012, 09:14 PM   #178
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

no. Some people said October 15 but that is probably false. The reality is that people have no idea.
Old October 4th, 2012, 01:52 AM   #179
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Is there a bus shuttle from Shiyijinglu station to Tianjin railway station? I suppose one could walk as well, but I assume Tianjin is just as pedestrian-hostile as any other Chinese cities where mopeds lack brakes.
Old October 4th, 2012, 02:23 AM   #180
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

There's quite a few busses that make that trip, for example bus 600 and 621.

Tags
metro, tianjin, tram