SkyscraperCity Forum banner

TAIWAN HIGH SPEED SHINKANSEN TRAIN

62K views 155 replies 55 participants last post by  ukiyo 
#1 ·
Opening in October. Almost there!!! Everything is just awesome - train design, colors, station designs, tracks, bridges, tunnels, and landscapes.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
thyrdrail said:
hey! i know very well this road in the picture, it must be liu fu road in nankan area, taoyuan, since i 'd spent a part of my childhood in this area. my family's old little factory was not far from there. when i were child, there were not so many buildings but a lots of rice fields and there was a bamboo wood down below on the right of the pic, near to the wood there were an old minnan style farm and a little dark land god(tu di kong)'s temple which always made me fear..hehe only good memories...nowadays, all those things have disappeared forever :sleepy: ...

anyhow,thank for posting these pics!!! they are gorgeous! :)

#4 ·
FINALLY!

Hey wonderful job Thydrail! May I ask how did you manage to find all these good pics? Anyone else notice the pics that show the new stations - the aerial views show all the large roads they already have built around them to plan for future growth I assume - anyone else have ideas?

#5 ·
IDigFla85 said:
Hey wonderful job Thydrail! May I ask how did you manage to find all these good pics? Anyone else notice the pics that show the new stations - the aerial views show all the large roads they already have built around them to plan for future growth I assume - anyone else have ideas?
i got them from a site someone posted in skyscraperpage.com.

hey pierre-laurent, are u taiwanese?

#16 ·
Cool shots , very impressive !

#19 ·
Fascinating Transportation facility!!!

Two thumbs up!!! :eek:kay:

#20 ·
Comanche said:
Nice. The trains are build in Japan i guess, or?
How fast in Km/h will the trains go?
Yes the trains are built in Japan. Currently only a handful of countries manufacture high-speed trains.

Here is a link to Taiwan's official high speed train website which states various facts about the trains and the system.

http://www.thsrc.com.tw/en/train/spec.asp

The TOP operation speed is 300 km/hr, but I'm assuming it may not reach that speed sometimes if the stations are too close.

#21 ·
wow, awesome!!! The stations look superb! I wonder which cities do these stations belong to. The train and the station look spectacular. I am very excited for Taiwan for having a infrastructure like this being built. Much be a very exciting time for Taiwanese people. Next improvement, the airport, perhaps? I must say, the international airport in taoyuan is sad. Its time they upgrade it to a world class airport. It'd be awesome if their airport can look as nice as the high speed rail stations. Oh speaking of which, does anyone know who the architect for the stations is? Looks alot like the work of Norman Foster...see lots of similarities to his work in HK's airport.

#22 ·
CKS Airport Terminal 1 upgrade

jerai82 said:
wow, awesome!!! The stations look superb! I wonder which cities do these stations belong to. The train and the station look spectacular. I am very excited for Taiwan for having a infrastructure like this being built. Much be a very exciting time for Taiwanese people. Next improvement, the airport, perhaps? I must say, the international airport in taoyuan is sad. Its time they upgrade it to a world class airport. It'd be awesome if their airport can look as nice as the high speed rail stations. Oh speaking of which, does anyone know who the architect for the stations is? Looks alot like the work of Norman Foster...see lots of similarities to his work in HK's airport.
The plan to upgrade terminal 1 has been approved and should be underway soon (there should be some posts on this?). Terminal 1 is the real SAD one... terminal 2 can use some work too but it's still 'new', relatively speaking.

p.s. GO HSR!

#47 ·
Please, first of all this is Japanese technology, Taiwan didn't out do China. 2nd of all this Shinkansen is not even as advance as the Shanghai Maglev. China has managed to also built its own maglev and indigenous HSR and that cannot be the same for Taiwan. While you guys are still having troubles with this HSR China is about to put in operation its own Shinkansen. In terms of hardcore technology, China wins hands down just look at its military and space program. Taiwan use to own the technology field over China but not anymore the tables has turned.

#25 ·
Geronimo said:
That is an exciting shinkansen. I rode on a shinkansen to Tokyo and it was a great experience. Its very exciting that Taiwan continues to outdo China technologically. I hope to one day ride on it!
While I am proud that Taiwan has this new highspeed railway, I'm afraid it doesn't necessarily means Taiwan is "outdoing" China technologically since Shinkansen is Japanese technology and Taiwan is just buying it.

#26 ·
Geronimo said:
That is an exciting shinkansen. I rode on a shinkansen to Tokyo and it was a great experience. Its very exciting that Taiwan continues to outdo China technologically. I hope to one day ride on it!
The train was a last-minute deal from the Japanese companies. That is why the operating equipment is German, but the trains are Japanese. It resulted in an unreliable operating environment, and that is one of the reasons why the system has been delayed for opening since Oct. last year.

#32 · (Edited)
Japan has made and sent Shinakansen 700T for Taiwan, but its operating system and equipment is partly German and French from Taiwanese diplomatic standpoint in cope with China. Thus Japan has become apathetic to join hands with Taiwan, because the troubles with the system obviously attributes to Germany. That's why Taiwanese high-speed train has been delayed sooooooooo long. (If only Taiwan had trusted Japan to everthing about the high-speed train!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.