daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 19th, 2005, 02:35 AM   #381
D_block

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitxofo
Barcelona has got all of them!

And it is not the only one: Paris, London, etc...
london has light train? i dntthink so
been to london but wt i saw was only subway and bus
D_block no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2005, 03:40 AM   #382
AmiDelf

Likes (Received): 3

There is tram in London. But its in the south. Its pretty new and very nice,.. showing that lots of the center of London should had it too.

Here some pics:

Here is the end station for west London tram system. It will be bigger and bigger it seems.

This light rail, or tram, system opened in 2000. It has three lines that come together to serve Central Croydon. Much of the lines are on former mainline right of ways. The system connects with many different mainline railway stations as well as the London Underground at Wimbledon.

The cars were built by Bombardier. They run as single car trains. Trains on the Wimbledon-Elmers Lane (Line 1) line run about every 10~11 minutes Line 2 (Croydon loop - Beckenham Junction) is every 10-11 min and Line 3 (Croydon loop - New Addington) is every 6-7 minutes.

Very nice system. This is how all tramnetworks should be done. On their own track, nice light-rail/tram cars and for some reason. If London switched over to trams in many areas. It would be a superb place to be. This also goes to Paris How about cutting some of the 5 lane highways, with tram tracks?

Regards,
Michal
AmiDelf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2005, 07:06 AM   #383
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3675

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_block
London DLR, this means Docklands Light Rail!

And also the tramway in Croydon!!
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2005, 05:41 PM   #384
edubejar

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
YES, London has a light train too!!! The DLR. Many cities have light rail, subway and bus at the same time...not just Toronto or 3 cities in the world! First of all, ALL cities that have subway or light train have bus too...nothing special about a city with buses. Many cities in Europe have all 3.
edubejar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2005, 06:09 PM   #385
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjoeda
Vancouver

Now

2009 Under Construction (Canada's Largest Metro System)
What do you mean Canada's largest metro system? First of all Vancouver's RAV is not a metro, it's a form of Light Rapid Transit and second of all, Toronto's and Montreal's subway system is far larger and more comprehensive than a toy like train running on elevated tracks. Third of all, a metro is to a very large extent underground, Vancouver's RAV is an above grade glorified streetcar don't try to even compare it to the big boys in Montreal and Tdot.
Don't try to fool the world by saying that it's the biggest, sure it's nice, but it will be always THIRD.
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2005, 09:39 PM   #386
Christos7

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
how so? sry if i am worng but i think less than 3 cities in the world has light train,subway and bus at the same time

I don't know about that one, I think many cities have all 3. Definately more than just 3 cities in the world. Athens has all 3.

Anyway, here is the map:

"Men of Athens... Had I not greatly at heart the common welfare of Hellas I should not have come to tell you; but I am myself Hellene by descent, and I would not willingly see Hellas exchange freedom for slavery..." - Alexander I of Macedonia

(Herodotos, 9.45)
Christos7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2005, 10:08 PM   #387
.affed
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip
What do you mean Canada's largest metro system? First of all Vancouver's RAV is not a metro, it's a form of Light Rapid Transit and second of all, Toronto's and Montreal's subway system is far larger and more comprehensive than a toy like train running on elevated tracks. Third of all, a metro is to a very large extent underground, Vancouver's RAV is an above grade glorified streetcar don't try to even compare it to the big boys in Montreal and Tdot.
Don't try to fool the world by saying that it's the biggest, sure it's nice, but it will be always THIRD.
The skytrain can very easily move as many people as the MTL métro or the TO subway. With the new additions it will simply be the largest rapid transit system in Canada, it's not very difficult to see. RAV is far from being a "glorified streetcar." It is light rail, but by no stretch of imagination anything that would resemble a streetcar.

Métro de Montréal

The most comprehensive subway system in Canada, and one of the best in the continent. The Métro is as vital to the island of Montréal as veins to a body. Moving hundreds of thousands every day, it is the sytem that moves the most people in Canada.

The famous Métro map:

Map with planned extenssions:

.affed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2005, 10:32 PM   #388
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

You could consider many of the RAV streetcar lines in Toronto rapid transit, so.... Toronto would again have the longest (I mean just the subways are enough, but add the Spadina, St Clair and Harbourfront ROW.Hehe
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2005, 10:41 PM   #389
.affed
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
how so? sry if i am worng but i think less than 3 cities in the world has light train,subway and bus at the same time
Lisbon also has all three (and more):

Metropolitano de Lisboa

Lisbon's system does not impress by its length but rather by its beauty. Every station in the system has been meticulously planned to create an artistically stimulating, colourful and almost surreal environment. Incorporating elements of typical Portuguese crafts, each station is a impressive work of modern art, design and architecture.

Map of the system wiht planned extenssions to be completed by 2009-2010

Stations:

.affed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2005, 11:35 PM   #390
MSPtoMKE
Glory to the Hypnotoad

Quote:
You could consider many of the RAV streetcar lines in Toronto rapid transit, so.... Toronto would again have the longest (I mean just the subways are enough, but add the Spadina, St Clair and Harbourfront ROW.Hehe
RAV stands for Richmond Airport Vancouver transit, it has nothing to do with the Toronto Streetcar network, nor the current Vancouver Skytrain network. It is a bit of a stretch to compare the streetcars (even the ones like Spadina) and the Skytrain. They are both Light Rail, but very different forms of it.
MSPtoMKE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2005, 12:17 AM   #391
mad_nick

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
I can think of more than that in the US alone.
Boston
SF
Philly
NY (HBLR and Newark City Subway in Jersey)
LA (only one subway line, the rest is light rail)
mad_nick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2005, 01:43 AM   #392
npinguy

Quote:
know many toy-like trains that go up to 90 kph?

fact is, the skytrain carries a lot more people than a streetcar, and a lot faster. It's a rapid transit system that's incomprable to Toronto's Streetcars.

It's capacity is less than that of subways in Toronto in Montreal but not by a huge amount. It links all the major urban centers in Vancouver.

Will it be the BEST when it's finished? NO, best is subjective, and the Toronto subway is still "better". But it WILL be the longest, in part because Vancouver is to LA in hte way that Toronto is to New York. The city is much more spread out and has several important centers as oppoed to one super-important downtown.
npinguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2005, 04:41 AM   #393
Jayayess1190

Likes (Received): 45

Old August 20th, 2005, 05:26 AM   #394
Nunovski2001

Hey .affed some of the Lisbon metro photos are MINE (Nuno Fonseca). They have, you know, something called a copyright which by the way is clearly shown on my site (nunovski.fotopic.net).

The photos are:

05bea33f.jpg
291111db.jpg
55c8c1f8.jpg
a4a820db.jpg
images5.jpg
bf4323e3.jpg
d4a5043f.jpg
matrlisboa3.jpg
mlisboa9.jpg

Would you be so kind as to AT LEAST write the copyright on top of the photographs? Thanks.
Nunovski2001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2005, 06:22 AM   #395
Jimmy James
I want to do you slowly

Let's hope this works

Melbourne Train Network

http://televisionrant.blogspot.com/
Daily Australian Television Ratings
Jimmy James no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2005, 06:29 AM   #396
DarkFenX
A B C

Likes (Received): 14

Boston

BOSTON - CITY OF CHAMPIONS

NE Patriots 2001 - NE Patriots 2003 - NE Patriots 2004 - Boston Red Sox 2004 - Boston Red Sox 2007 - Boston Celtics 2008 - Boston Bruins 2011 - Boston Red Sox 2013 - NE Patriots 2014
DarkFenX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2005, 07:42 AM   #397
Klugermann
Sureño

Likes (Received): 8432

SANTIAGO, CHILE

Klugermann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2005, 08:41 AM   #398
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 313

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmiDelf
Man, Europe has had the A Class for years. I wonder if we're EVER gonna get it.
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2005, 09:35 AM   #399
nOchAos
Happy now...

Likes (Received): 8

Sydney Cityrail Network - couldnt find a higher resolution image.

The dark blue dotted sections are currently under construction.

nOchAos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2005, 09:55 AM   #400
iheartcities

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse
Man, Europe has had the A Class for years. I wonder if we're EVER gonna get it.
North America is ALWAYS the slowest when it comes to automobiles and household technologies....

Cell phones, Laptops, Cars, Digital Cameras....oh my god.
iheartcities no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, rail, transport