daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 20th, 2006, 05:00 PM   #721
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6998

Daniel_Portugal, here we go again. Porto system is a tram, not a metro, not matter how call it. It is so hard to understand?

Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2006, 07:17 PM   #722
sweek

Likes (Received): 1

I think urbanrail.net is basically the main site when it comes to these things, and their definition is:

1) An urban electric mass rail transport system, i.e. it is primarily used to move within the city > Porto is that.
2) Totally independent from other traffic, rail or street traffic > Porto isn't that. I know there are other systems that aren't completely seperated from other rail traffic, such as London, but in Porto's case it's street traffic.
3) High frequency service (maximum interval approx. 10 minutes during normal daytime service) > I don't know about that.
4) Obviously a metro does not have to be underground (this is why I prefer this term to 'subway' or 'underground' or 'U-Bahn' as all these terms imply a tunnel), it can also be elevated or at grade. > Porto isn't this either. The way the trams just have their own lane in Porto's traffic is very much one of the characteristics of lightrail systems.

Now if you look at the definition of "lightrail", from Wikipedia:

"Light rail or light rapid transit (LRT) is a form of urban rail transit that typically uses less massive equipment and infrastructure than rapid transit systems, with modern light rail vehicles usually running along the system." > That's Porto, modern light rail verhicles.

And lightrail systems can also run underground, can also be seperated from other traffic etc. etc. That does not make it less of a lightrail system.

What is the problem? There is NOTHING WRONG with a lightrail system as long as it does what it needs to do, move people from A to B efficiently.

PS: Subway isn't an American term originally, but was first used for the Glasgow system.

Last edited by sweek; October 20th, 2006 at 07:28 PM.
sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2006, 04:24 AM   #723
Daniel_Portugal
I Love You... Soraia

Likes (Received): 44

no matter what you say.

porto transport in rails(call what you want ) is:

very fast - can go at 100kmph

high capacity of ppl - can transport +- 800ppl in only one transport

high frequency - every 2 minutes a new metro comes

very comfortable

very silent - you can have a conversation with someone inside of it without a noisy background sound

excellent design

mostly, and when i say mostly is MOSTLY 100% dedicated lines without any cross transit. in a system with 60km there are less than 10 cross transits.

great lines extenstion - we have 60km and 69 stations for now, and we're planning a second phase so the system have 138 stations and 120km of lines a third phase is already talked..

after all this, and the photos above in post 65. there are any more things that need to be said to prove that this system.. is completely awesome. fast, efficient, comfortable, and so on.

ps: ahhhh, metro or not.. EVERYONE call it metro (and not only people from portugal... sometimes... i'm walking on streets, and a tourist comes to me and ask this question "Hi, i'm not from here, can you say me where's the metro entrance?"

please.. if you someday come to porto, dont ask anyone "where is Tram station entrance", probably the person who you ask you answer a "hum?"
Old October 21st, 2006, 06:53 AM   #724
DonQui
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweek View Post
I think urbanrail.net is basically the main site when it comes to these things, and their definition is:

1) An urban electric mass rail transport system, i.e. it is primarily used to move within the city > Porto is that.
2) Totally independent from other traffic, rail or street traffic > Porto isn't that. I know there are other systems that aren't completely seperated from other rail traffic, such as London, but in Porto's case it's street traffic.
3) High frequency service (maximum interval approx. 10 minutes during normal daytime service) > I don't know about that.
4) Obviously a metro does not have to be underground (this is why I prefer this term to 'subway' or 'underground' or 'U-Bahn' as all these terms imply a tunnel), it can also be elevated or at grade. > Porto isn't this either. The way the trams just have their own lane in Porto's traffic is very much one of the characteristics of lightrail systems.

Now if you look at the definition of "lightrail", from Wikipedia:

"Light rail or light rapid transit (LRT) is a form of urban rail transit that typically uses less massive equipment and infrastructure than rapid transit systems, with modern light rail vehicles usually running along the system." > That's Porto, modern light rail verhicles.

And lightrail systems can also run underground, can also be seperated from other traffic etc. etc. That does not make it less of a lightrail system.

What is the problem? There is NOTHING WRONG with a lightrail system as long as it does what it needs to do, move people from A to B efficiently.

PS: Subway isn't an American term originally, but was first used for the Glasgow system.
Precisely. However, a couple of infantile forumers will continue to argue to their little faces turn purple for it to be something that it is not.
DonQui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2006, 07:22 AM   #725
Zaki
Joi Bangla

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_Portugal View Post
no matter what you say.

porto transport in rails(call what you want ) is:

very fast - can go at 100kmph

high capacity of ppl - can transport +- 800ppl in only one transport

high frequency - every 2 minutes a new metro comes

very comfortable

very silent - you can have a conversation with someone inside of it without a noisy background sound

excellent design

mostly, and when i say mostly is MOSTLY 100% dedicated lines without any cross transit. in a system with 60km there are less than 10 cross transits.

great lines extenstion - we have 60km and 69 stations for now, and we're planning a second phase so the system have 138 stations and 120km of lines a third phase is already talked..

after all this, and the photos above in post 65. there are any more things that need to be said to prove that this system.. is completely awesome. fast, efficient, comfortable, and so on.

ps: ahhhh, metro or not.. EVERYONE call it metro (and not only people from portugal... sometimes... i'm walking on streets, and a tourist comes to me and ask this question "Hi, i'm not from here, can you say me where's the metro entrance?"

please.. if you someday come to porto, dont ask anyone "where is Tram station entrance", probably the person who you ask you answer a "hum?"

Wow, now you make it sound pathetic. Why do you have to keep whining. Porto has an amazing system, its just not a metro. There's nothing wrong with not having a metro if the system you have does its job. Why are you acting so immature for?
Zaki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2006, 07:26 AM   #726
Filipe_Golias
Biochem Guy

Likes (Received): 3

I'm from Porto and i'm perfectly aware that it is a tram/light rail network with underground parts

The smart move was to call (wrongly) both the system and head organization 'Metro do Porto', from the beggining. Mostly because we don't have a common, everyday translation for 'tram' or 'light-rail', because people don't easily recognize these terms and, as a comparision, there was only in Portugal the real and complete subway system in Lisbon. 'Metro' established for good, even though it's partially wrong.

Anyway, one thing we all agree is that it's a great system with a huge and still growing public adhesion and has completely revolutionized Porto's transport system

Filipe_Golias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2006, 04:18 PM   #727
Daniel_Portugal
I Love You... Soraia

the only thing we all agree is that system is awesome. and they need to ear this! they become mad with this! thats why coth is always remembering "porto dont have metro! porto dont have metro!" in fact... he thinks its an awesome system. big extension, beautiful bombardier transports, not noisy, comfortable, very fast (100kmph top speed), very efficient, very frequent (every 2 minutes). all these real things make this system soooooo great, independant its name. In fact you could call it "Manuel Maria Carrilho Transport System", and that name dont change the fact that you think the transport is great and very efficient in all the ways (you just dont want to say that)! i'm beeing really direct in my afirmations because i become fool when you try to descredebilize it only because envy! in four years we made 60km of lines. thousands of workers worked hard for four years in the most expensive project made in all europe in that four years. besides that, we also made a new airport terminal that was considered one of the best in the world, and so on. you just underrating our city, our prosperity.
Old October 21st, 2006, 04:37 PM   #728
coth
pride leader

Daniel_Portugal, i don't care if it's awesome or not. Can't you just understand that's it's a tram.
Old October 21st, 2006, 05:31 PM   #729
Daniel_Portugal
I Love You... Soraia

and you "beating" in that

you dont care if its awesome or not because its a tram.

and

I dont care if its a tram or not because its awesome (in many ways) (and THAT is the most important thing)

Old October 21st, 2006, 06:10 PM   #730
coth
pride leader

then if you don't care - please stop flaming this thread.
Old October 21st, 2006, 06:29 PM   #731
Daniel_Portugal
I Love You... Soraia

HAHAHAHAH LOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!

you are the main "flamer".. its always you that begin with that story

(now thats me hein? ahahaha pleaseeeeeeee!!!!) i just put three maps.. you started the discussion (like in other thread, too).. you say that every thread possible and the funny is only for porto... not for cities with similar metros..
Old October 21st, 2006, 07:15 PM   #732
coth
pride leader

DP, you are only who flaming every metro thread with porto trams.
Old October 21st, 2006, 08:56 PM   #733
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth View Post
DP, you are only who flaming every metro thread with porto trams.
so what?
PORTO METRO is cute. is has to be posted often.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2006, 09:15 PM   #734
coth
pride leader

Falubaz, read please last few pages and other metro threads. The fact that it's cute trams doesn't mean automatically that it should be posted often in metro threads.
Old October 21st, 2006, 09:23 PM   #735
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

i did read it, and the others threads, too and it's borring to me, u always have problem with that. it's partly metro and partly fast tram. the people in Porto want to call it METRO so why u don't let them do this. let it be. it's nothing wrong.
for me, if i would come to Porto and ride that system i would add it to my list of the metros i used. besides it's one of my 'freak-dreams' to ride it. it's cute, it's looking good, it's serving the city. what else does matter? the name of it? the way u call it? these are secondary things. let's forget the diskussion of metro and tram and let's post new maps.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2006, 10:58 PM   #736
Filipe_Golias
Biochem Guy

The only solution for this "going nowhere" discussion is for someone to open a thread for "Tram/Light rail/Underground-mixed networks maps" so that Daniel and many other forumers can post maps as they please and coth's thread can be left "uncorrupted".

Old October 22nd, 2006, 08:38 AM   #737
Daniel_Portugal
I Love You... Soraia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
i did read it, and the others threads, too and it's borring to me, u always have problem with that. it's partly metro and partly fast tram. the people in Porto want to call it METRO so why u don't let them do this. let it be. it's nothing wrong.
for me, if i would come to Porto and ride that system i would add it to my list of the metros i used. besides it's one of my 'freak-dreams' to ride it. it's cute, it's looking good, it's serving the city. what else does matter? the name of it? the way u call it? these are secondary things. let's forget the diskussion of metro and tram and let's post new maps.
very good
Old October 24th, 2006, 08:54 AM   #738
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1216

not sure if this has been posted before, but this is the Tyne and Wear Metro map:

an impressive system considering it serves a smallish area (around 1.25m in the metro area i'd estimate).
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 04:11 AM   #739
Daniel_Portugal
I Love You... Soraia

i dunno how much is the area of this city, but 60 stations isn't that impressive! well. but the system seems very cool. serves the coastal line, the airport. have two bridges (and one underground tunnel under) over the rivers. many lines crossing the central station.. very cool
Old October 26th, 2006, 07:58 AM   #740
Filipe_Golias
Biochem Guy

If this is a real underground system, 60 stations is good enough for a metro area of 1,25m ... at least imo.

Tags
metro, rail, transport