daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 23rd, 2013, 10:50 AM   #1381
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2094

They're all rather conservative if you ask me - no radical design departures. But then again: why fix anything that isn't broken?

As for clarity, I'd go for the third one. The way the primary bus lines are shown is very clean, the legenda is very tidy and the overall design is the most balanced of all.

I once tried my hand at reviving an old design, which looks a bit like Mikado sticks. Stations outside of the circle are suggested by dots extrapolated from the central lines. Certain aspects of that design still work very well, but with the current network getting ever more complex the whole idea of straightening lines all the way won't do the trick anymore (i.e. line 4 (see map) or the northern extension of line 10 (not shown on this map)):

Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2013, 01:52 AM   #1382
micro

Likes (Received): 107

The straight lines are not bad in their simplicity, but why not go one step further and spread them more evenly? I mean, one should try to make the angles between the lines as similar as possible. I.e., rotate the red line a little bit clockwise.

And I'm bursting with compassion for that poor guy who wanted to print that map but ran out of ink.
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2013, 10:14 AM   #1383
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro View Post
The straight lines are not bad in their simplicity, but why not go one step further and spread them more evenly? I mean, one should try to make the angles between the lines as similar as possible. I.e., rotate the red line a little bit clockwise.
Haha - you don't want to know how frustrating the design process of this map was at times. Trying to align all lines in such a way that they would remain straight and overlap in such a way that a transfer between them could be shown, all the while leaving enough room for station names...it was a hell of a job.

Quote:
And I'm bursting with compassion for that poor guy who wanted to print that map but ran out of ink.
Old January 28th, 2013, 05:39 PM   #1384
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7094

Intermediate result of Internet voting (January 28, 2013. 7:30pm)

Artemy Lebedev Studio - 32434 votes, 52.7%:

(bigger)

Designer Ilya Birman - 16458 votes, 26.7%:

(bigger)

Informational agency "RIA Novosty" (Ilya Ruderman) - 12647 votes, 20.6%:

(bigger)

geometarkv, Rail_Serbia, Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by AlekseyVT; February 1st, 2013 at 12:20 PM.
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2013, 05:40 PM   #1385
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Where can we vote?
Old January 28th, 2013, 05:52 PM   #1386
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Well, now it's absolutely clear that Artemy Lebedev will win this contest. The one of reasons of his success is that he and his studio is better known in Russia than other pretenders (although many people don't like him personally). The other reason that his scheme have less disadvantages, although it's not ideal (IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
The first one which is purely vertical / horizontal / 45 degree lines is much more aesthetically pleasing to my eye.
Well, according to result of voting, vast majority of voters didn't find this scheme pleasurable. For almost 60 years, Moscow Metro's Ring Line (it's official name of this line) became same symbol of city as well as Boulevard Ring, Garden Ring, Third Transport Ring and Moscow Automobile Ring Road. So, attempt to make it nut-shaped was doomed to failure.

Among disadvantages of Birman's scheme are not quite clear indexation of Metro stations and indication of transfer notes (the one - for transfer stations with same name and another - for transfer stations with different names).

IMHO, Lebedev's scheme is not ideal (not enough free space), but it's better than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alargule View Post
Where can we vote?
Here:
http://dt.mos.ru/metro/

However, you must have Russian mobile phone number for participation in the voting (+7**********)

geometarkv liked this post
Old January 28th, 2013, 10:10 PM   #1387
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5797

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekseyVT View Post
(although many people don't like him personally)
I wonder why
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2013, 10:29 PM   #1388
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
I wonder why
Many people don't like his selfishness, shocking antics and scandal comments, a large number of obscene expressions in his comments, harsh criticism of the works of other design companies, etc. He is son of the Tatyana Tolstaya, famous Russian writer, TV host, and essayist from the Tolstoy family. For this reason, he got nickname "Tatyanych".

I personally do not know so much about his personality/creativity. Therefore, I don't have clear opinion about him. I recommend you to read these links for better understanding.

http://wikireality.ru/wiki/%D0%90%D1...B4%D0%B5%D0%B2
http://www.lovehate.ru/ArtLebedev

geometarkv liked this post
Old January 29th, 2013, 07:05 AM   #1389
Abbendymion
Get Ready

Likes (Received): 1074

Hi
I did like the "octagon" one, however Moscow metro should feel proud of its unique circular line design, which is timeless. They are all interesting proposals, and I would like that many other cities ask for contests for public transportation networks. Congratulations.

Also, the maps, and specially Alargule's design still makes me think of this:

Masaryk.tv

Clarion
abbendymion.tumblr.com
Current Log: CP1### (Ans 11.2)

HP
abbhyperion.tumblr.com

Proudly, a GrNe production

Highcliff liked this post
Abbendymion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2013, 09:39 AM   #1390
AlekseyVT
BANNED

The final results of Internet voting:

1) Artemy Lebedev Studio - 38485 votes, 51.94%;
2) Designer Ilya Birman - 19729 votes, 26.63%;
3) Designer Ilya Ruderman (Informational agency "RIA Novosty") - 15874 votes, 21.43%.

Total number of votes - 74088.

By the way, it was declared that possibly design of the future Moscow Metro stations also will be chosen according to same scheme (preliminary round: jury decision, final round: Internet voting). The preliminary round is necessary because majority of ordinary people will be vote for the most luxurious project, which not always will be justified from a technical and economic points of view.

(bigger)

Rail_Serbia, Dugommier, geometarkv liked this post

Last edited by AlekseyVT; February 1st, 2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old February 1st, 2013, 10:41 AM   #1391
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

So...how will things go from here on? Will Lebedev remain responsible for updates to the design? Or will this design be 'in'sourced to the design department (if there is such a department) of the company that runs the metro?
Old February 1st, 2013, 12:35 PM   #1392
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Quote:
So...how will things go from here on?
This scheme will be printed and copied. It will appear in wagons after about one month.

Quote:
Will Lebedev remain responsible for updates to the design? Or will this design be 'in'sourced to the design department (if there is such a department) of the company that runs the metro?
Yes. During next few years, he will be update it after the opening of new segments. In the next years will be opened new lines (Third Interchange Contour, Solntsevsky Radius, Kozhukhovskaya Line). Therefore, it will be necessary to make major changes to this design.

By the way, this is Lebedev's scheme for the vestibules of Metro stations:

Rail_Serbia, geometarkv liked this post
Old February 1st, 2013, 12:38 PM   #1393
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Mmm...I've never been particularly fond of adding geographical details to the background. It only clutters the design and distracts the user from his/her main task: finding your way in the metro system.
Old February 1st, 2013, 12:54 PM   #1394
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Quote:
Mmm...I've never been particularly fond of adding geographical details to the background. It only clutters the design and distracts the user from his/her main task: finding your way in the metro system.
I'm for adding geographical details. It's necessary for better orientation in the city (especially for tourists). You're right: the main task is finding way in the metro system. However, if you need to visit some place and you don't know - where is nearest Metro station, this scheme is good helper.

By the way, I like to see few "Easter eggs" at Lebedev's schemes

The icon of the non-existing Palace of the Soviets (the large project of Stalin's era):

The interesting configuration of the Moscow-River:

Moose Island natural park:

At Birman's scheme, I like this icon near Metro station "Airport" (Khodynka Airport was closed for passenger service many years ago, but Metro station with this name still exist):

Swede, Rail_Serbia, bozenBDJ, geometarkv liked this post

Last edited by AlekseyVT; February 1st, 2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old February 1st, 2013, 06:20 PM   #1395
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

That last one is genius. If a station named Airport dos NOT connect to an airport, that fact does makes perfect sense to point out on the map.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:13 AM   #1396
micro

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
I like this one even more. Certainly, even for people who don't know anything of the city, the parks, icons and other things make it easier to remember a metro route you want to take. In the abstract version, branches are more likely to be confused, despite the color coding.
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 10:08 PM   #1397
urgel23

Likes (Received): 16

http://www.cityrailtransit.com/maps/seoul_map.htm
urgel23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 03:55 AM   #1398
Kolothos
slyscrapercity

Likes (Received): 770

Glasgow's map was once this:

But since the absorption of the SPT network into the national rail network, it's now part of this lazily drawn 'Central Belt' map, with former-SPT services one colour, and longer distance services out of Edinburgh coloured.. Talk about counter-productive. Most of the map is Glasgow, and it's far and away the most heavily used part of the system, yet there's no effort to make a map for Glasgow, like any other city would have.
Kolothos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 05:05 PM   #1399
Sameboat
Map assistant

Likes (Received): 144

Quote:
For almost 60 years, Moscow Metro's Ring Line (it's official name of this line) became same symbol of city...
So the voters look down on RIA's version just because he drew the Ring/Circle Line in octagonal shape. I can see that Birman in his BLOG after the result announced only gave his respect to Lebedev but not Ruderman, he disgusts me.

I'm so eager to see anyone who can draw the complete Third Interchange Contour in regular circle but keeping the whole map sensible at the same time.
Old March 16th, 2013, 05:35 AM   #1400
Tyr
King of Bernicia

Likes (Received): 27

I'm currently drawing a metro map to improve my skills with illustrator and have a bit of fun.
I've ran into a problem though- one station on this map has 8 lines feeding into it from the west, 2 north to south and 4 to the east (2 are continuations f the prior 8, 2 stop there)

This is proving crazy to represent, following the standard pattern of just doubling up my stations produces a beast which craps all over consistency and dominates the map. Any ideas?
Tyr no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, rail, transport