daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 14th, 2015, 03:17 AM   #1541
mopc

Likes (Received): 11998

Sao Paulo 2030 Horizon future network map

mopc no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2015, 03:21 AM   #1542
mopc

Likes (Received): 11998

Rio de Janeiro 2016 Olympics Metro + Suburban Rail + BRT map (made by fan)

mopc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 08:49 PM   #1543
skyshakernowlive
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alargule View Post
Ugh. Isn't it about time the 'Overground' brand got integrated into the 'Underground' brand, using the same naming and colour coding convention? That would at least create the feel of a single integrated urban rail network for London...
I don't think it should.
Overground has a lower frequency and comes across as a cheap sbahn rather than a cheap ubahn.

DLR is a better candidate for conversion into a Tube line, as it is essentially a ubahn line except with cheaper construction. It always struck me as a pre-ubahn construction, waiting for an upgrade.

The overground strikes me as a future sbahn, mid-to-high frequency trains serving suburban areas. Overground should take over stoppimg services in the metro area, while intertown and commuter services should be given over to 'RER'.
skyshakernowlive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2015, 11:06 PM   #1544
bloganista

Likes (Received): 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMS View Post
This is the current official scheme from Warsaws Public Transport Authority site:

[IMG]http://i57.************/2u40qhz.jpg[/IMG]
Looks just as bad. Lacking both in style and coherence.
However, I do love those local convex-shaped street plans that stand in some areas of Warsaw, especially at night with the back-lighting.

Quote:
Brenda goats On the Warsaw map, it's pretty hard to compress surface and underground all on one map.
Wouldn't have to be a problem, just needs to be designed in a great way, as with anything.

That black and white version of the London tube map you presented is perfectly legible.
The problem is that its a bit dead looking, colour obviously introduces life and visual interest.
Besides, these days everything is full-colour printed or available online so a black and white tube map is redundant.
Old May 26th, 2015, 05:39 PM   #1545
Sameboat
Map assistant

Likes (Received): 144

Transport for London (TfL) has uploaded the official Tube map (a.k.a. "TfL rail map" 'cause it's now far beyond just showing the "tube" network). It has a real-time SVG for showing latest service status. (The PDF files in the linked page are probably not updated yet, so download this one for updated PDF version.) Sadly the SVG was poorly converted from its source file, likely Adobe Illustrator, and several glitches make the SVG map look so amateurish: District line's Olympia branch and Emirates cable car disappear enigmatically; station labels overlap the rail lines because no font-family, font-size or text-anchor have been defined whatsoever!

oobrien on Reddit created a html shell to contain the raw SVG source for better rendition.

I did my own fix which primarily focuses on the canvas size and font style. I leave the rest as is because otherwise it would take much more time and I only want to invest minimal effort into it. Surprisingly Arial of 4.5px font-size fits snugly, not completely perfectly, but still.

Alargule, mrsmartman liked this post

Last edited by Sameboat; May 26th, 2015 at 06:06 PM.
Sameboat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 05:58 PM   #1546
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2093

Way better. Although I'm still having seconds thoughts on the onslaught of Overground lines. All in orange.

mrsmartman liked this post
Alargule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 01:49 PM   #1547
Antje
Public Transport Fan

Olympia Branch is back on the status map, but it is clear that they had to redo the whole map because of the new services. This is also why changes to the Central line have been made in advance of the main part of Crossrail.
Antje no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2015, 09:20 AM   #1548
Sameboat
Map assistant

This is how my (unofficial) TfL rail map would have looked like if each Overground line is given different livery color.
I also changed the route names of all LO lines as well as separating Liverpool Street-Enfield Town/Chesthunt/Chingford into 2 lines
because route to/from Chingford does not stop by London Fields and Cambridge Heath.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...t_temp_cc4.svg

Formal version:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...ssrail_map.svg

Extra:
Official Tube map (SVG) with my Overground color scheme

Last edited by Sameboat; May 29th, 2015 at 10:04 AM.
Sameboat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2015, 11:04 AM   #1549
Stravinsky

Likes (Received): 1147

Still, now the Tube map is very orange.
Stravinsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2015, 12:24 PM   #1550
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sameboat View Post
route to/from Chingford does not stop by London Fields and Cambridge Heath.
Most of the time, anyway...

You don't see semi-fast/fast Met line trains marked on the main map, so I don't think it's a problem.

Of course, you would have to say something on the in-car line diagrams, because unlike Battersea Park, or Barking-Willesden Junction LL, or the Cheshunt fasts, etc, it is more than a couple of times a day. And obviously you'd make it clear when announcing/indicating the train that it skips those stops.

Sameboat liked this post
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2015, 01:10 PM   #1551
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2093

Great map, Sameboat, and way clearer than the official version.

Sameboat liked this post
Alargule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2015, 02:17 PM   #1552
Sameboat
Map assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antje View Post
Olympia Branch is back on the status map, but it is clear that they had to redo the whole map because of the new services. This is also why changes to the Central line have been made in advance of the main part of Crossrail.
I checked the SVG source again and the Dangleway is still there. My guess is TfL is still testing live status report in the SVG map and the system isn't quite ready yet. Once it's fully functional, section of disrupted service would either disappear or blink.
Old May 28th, 2015, 04:57 PM   #1553
Thorum

Likes (Received): 1099

Quote:
This is how my (unofficial) TfL rail map would have looked like if each Overground line is given different livery color.
I also changed the route names of all LO lines as well as separating Liverpool Street-Enfield Town/Chesthunt/Chingford into 2 lines
because route to/from Chingford does not stop by London Fields and Cambridge Heath.
Nice map! Does anyone know why the connection between Seven Sisters and South Tottenham does not appear on the official map?
Old May 28th, 2015, 05:11 PM   #1554
Sameboat
Map assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorum View Post
Nice map! Does anyone know why the connection between Seven Sisters and South Tottenham does not appear on the official map?
Thank you. Apparently the graphist of the official Tube map is so resilient to changing the existing Victoria line drastically. It is still possible, but you will end up with a barbell much longer than Bank-Monument for joining the 2 stations instead of the usual shorter dumbbell.
Old May 29th, 2015, 01:39 PM   #1555
bloganista

@Sameboat.

Some interesting elements to the design but I feel that Crossrail should have been afforded more prominence.
It just looks a bit too faint and veering towards insignificance, especially with the strong colours of the underground lines around it, getting lost in the jungle.

I think black dots would give the Crossrail line prominence, that is dots rather than interrupted lines which could suggest a planned or 'under construction' phase.

Other than that I can't really fault it. Impressive bit of work.
Old May 29th, 2015, 04:30 PM   #1556
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloganista View Post
Some interesting elements to the design but I feel that Crossrail should have been afforded more prominence.
It just looks a bit too faint and veering towards insignificance, especially with the strong colours of the underground lines around it, getting lost in the jungle
Why give an under-construction line prominence?
Old May 30th, 2015, 08:34 PM   #1557
nidave

Likes (Received): 769

Quote:
Thank you. Apparently the graphist of the official Tube map is so resilient to changing the existing Victoria line drastically. It is still possible, but you will end up with a barbell much longer than Bank-Monument for joining the 2 stations instead of the usual shorter dumbbell.
Great map - how would the zones fit into it - I wouldn't even know where to start.
nidave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 02:19 AM   #1558
bloganista

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
Why give an under-construction line prominence?
Sameboat's map is future-proofed. So what you see is a map of the network with Crossrail already in operation.

My point is Sameboat depicts Crossrail as a service of secondary value or somehow less important than the other lines (as if it were a canal route for barges for example). The reason it looks secondary is because it doesn't visually stand out much. Black dots for instance, would give it the prominence it deserves whereas interrupted lines would male it look as if it were still under construction.
Old May 31st, 2015, 02:23 AM   #1559
Antje
Public Transport Fan

The latest tube map appears to be preparing for Crossrail:

May 2015 poster Underground map by bowroaduk, on Flickr
Antje no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 11:46 AM   #1560
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloganista View Post
Sameboat's map is future-proofed. So what you see is a map of the network with Crossrail already in operation.
No. Future-proofed doesn't mean 'from the future', but 'ready for the future'. This map shows today's network, including (shown differently) the bits under-construction.

Now sure, when Sameboat made it, it was a future map, but that future was short-term, and is here today.

The TfL map is half-future-proofed for Crossrail - you'll notice, especially in eastern zone 1, that lines' shapes have been altered to help give a straight line. It's not fully future-proofed as Paddington and Ealing Broadway will need moving, but a lot of the map has been altered to allow Crossrail to easily fit on the map (even if they haven't drawn it on there yet)
Quote:
My point is Sameboat depicts Crossrail as a service of secondary value or somehow less important than the other lines
Because on the map it is under construction!

Look at the Croxley link and the Battersea branch of the Northern line. Both shown differently to the existing Met/Northern lines and both shown with the same paler and piped line...

Look at the key and see that there is TfL Rail (Crossrail) and a 'future extension' variant of that...

Tags
metro, rail, transport