daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old May 31st, 2015, 01:37 PM   #1561
bloganista
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,335
Likes (Received): 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
No. Future-proofed doesn't mean 'from the future', but 'ready for the future'. This map shows today's network, including (shown differently) the bits under-construction.

Now sure, when Sameboat made it, it was a future map, but that future was short-term, and is here today.

The TfL map is half-future-proofed for Crossrail - you'll notice, especially in eastern zone 1, that lines' shapes have been altered to help give a straight line. It's not fully future-proofed as Paddington and Ealing Broadway will need moving, but a lot of the map has been altered to allow Crossrail to easily fit on the map (even if they haven't drawn it on there yet)Because on the map it is under construction!

Look at the Croxley link and the Battersea branch of the Northern line. Both shown differently to the existing Met/Northern lines and both shown with the same paler and piped line...

Look at the key and see that there is TfL Rail (Crossrail) and a 'future extension' variant of that...
You're right about the graphic language tense of the map.
However, the Cross-rail line does not graphically look like it is an 'under construction' phase anyway.

So either way, its misleading graphically because:
1. too faint to look important in any way or
2. not interrupted which makes it look as though its actually in operation.
The universal language for representing a road or rail that's planned or under construction is with an interrupted line as I'm sure you're aware.
__________________
...
bloganista no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2015, 02:28 PM   #1562
sotonsi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,563

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloganista View Post
2. not interrupted which makes it look as though its actually in operation.
The universal language for representing a road or rail that's planned or under construction is with an interrupted line as I'm sure you're aware.
For sure, though the dotted on this map might be confused with the (traditionally how London has done it*) limited service routes.

I'm not sure how universal that under construction style is though - though of course the 30s, 40s and 90s tube maps saw it. However, I don't think changing the design of that matters much as long as it's clearly keyed.

One issue with it is that TfL Rail, DLR and Overground (though not the Rominster shuttle) are also piped, which makes it less clear (especially on the one with different Overground colours) as to what is open and what's just a pale line colour.

*eg see the 1986 map on this excellent site for a lot of it, though the 1995 one has the JLE as underconstruction and (much fewer than in '86) peak-hour dashed sections.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 11:15 PM   #1563
bloganista
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,335
Likes (Received): 484


Yes, I see what you mean and I think we can both agree that he did a bloody good job, Sameboat that is.

There's also the one shown below by someone called Alex Gollner.
Note the debranching of the Northern line with that delightful olive green colour which certainly distingushes it from the District line green.

Shame though that Cross-rail's not been factored in.

__________________
...

nidave liked this post
bloganista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 03:55 AM   #1564
Sameboat
Map assistant
 
Sameboat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 148
Likes (Received): 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloganista View Post

Yes, I see what you mean and I think we can both agree that he did a bloody good job, Sameboat that is.

There's also the one shown below by someone called Alex Gollner.
Note the debranching of the Northern line with that delightful olive green colour which certainly distingushes it from the District line green.

Shame though that Cross-rail's not been factored in.

LOL I forgot to separate the Northern line too. So what would you name them after separation?
__________________
Wiki: Sum of All Human Silliness
Sameboat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 05:56 AM   #1565
I(L)WTC
Cono Sur ♥
 
I(L)WTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Buenos Aires / Copenhague
Posts: 11,997
Likes (Received): 8763

Future RER of Buenos Aires (Studies will be start in this year).

__________________
"A las 12 me convierto en calabaza" - Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner- .

GRIDO Emblema de la decada ganada


I(L)WTC liked this post

Dugommier liked this post
I(L)WTC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 04:51 PM   #1566
bloganista
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,335
Likes (Received): 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sameboat View Post
LOL I forgot to separate the Northern line too. So what would you name them after separation?
The olive branch of the Northern Line?
Only joking, sounds a bit too conciliatory.

Actually Alex Gollner suggested the Edgington Line (portmanteau for Edgware Rd/Kennington) as I'm sure you've gathered. But again not keen on that.

I think The Olive line sounds best. There hasn't been a line named after a colour yet on the London underground.
This would be so easy for foreigners/tourists to remember.
The word Olive sounds similar in most other European languages - oliva, olijf, oliven and so on.
__________________
...
bloganista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 05:31 PM   #1567
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger
 
Alargule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 8,210
Likes (Received): 2093

Don't you think naming lines after colours would offend certain people?

Anyway, I'm not really in favour of naming lines after colours - that's something you do for children and the otherwise intellectually challenged - and I wouldn't go for portmanteaus like 'Edgington', either. Rather, I would take a look at the history of this line. The part running through central London was originally called the "Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead Railway". That's quite a mouthful, so choosing the more colloquial nickname of "Hampstead Tube" or 'Hampstead Line' would probably do better. But I would see no problem in naming this line after one of the two main termini it serves either, so either 'Charing Cross Line' or 'Euston Line' would do as well. 'Charing Cross Line' would also be applicable as the line partly runs below Charing Cross Road in central London.
Alargule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 05:53 AM   #1568
Sameboat
Map assistant
 
Sameboat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 148
Likes (Received): 144

I updated the SVG alt map in my Geocities webspace instead of Wikimedia Commons because I expect frequent revision in the following days.
http://www.geocities.jp/ifurkend/Lon...il_map_alt.svg

I name the new line, separated from Northern line, "Battersea line" which I believe has a higher chance due to the redevelopment of Battersea Power Station area (c.f. the rename of "Surrey Canal Road" to "New Bermondsey"). Obviously it only makes sense when the extension is finished, but this is just a mock up so I will let it pass.

I use saturated orange-red not olive because greens have already been used by 6 lines (including DLR and Tramlink) already while 4 lines (before adding the "Battersea line") use the red shades if you ignore the Romford-Upminster shuttle.

P.S. Because someone complained about lack of labels of Tramlink stops, I added the stop icons but no stop labels except for termini. Now Tramlink really looks like a "beaded chain" (I'm a pervert, if you know what I mean...)
__________________
Wiki: Sum of All Human Silliness

Alargule liked this post

Last edited by Sameboat; June 2nd, 2015 at 12:22 PM.
Sameboat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 02:28 PM   #1569
Brenda goats
Registered User
 
Brenda goats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 447
Likes (Received): 152

Updated London Tune Map.

New Overground lines included, as-well as the first slither of what will be crossrail.

__________________
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=NODDINGCAT
For your viewing pleasure. Lots of Trams, Metros, Trolley Buses and Trains on my channel....
Watch NODDING CAT CHANNEL now!
Brenda goats no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 05:52 PM   #1570
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger
 
Alargule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 8,210
Likes (Received): 2093

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sameboat View Post
I updated the SVG alt map in my Geocities webspace instead of Wikimedia Commons because I expect frequent revision in the following days.
http://www.geocities.jp/ifurkend/Lon...il_map_alt.svg

I name the new line, separated from Northern line, "Battersea line" which I believe has a higher chance due to the redevelopment of Battersea Power Station area (c.f. the rename of "Surrey Canal Road" to "New Bermondsey"). Obviously it only makes sense when the extension is finished, but this is just a mock up so I will let it pass.

I use saturated orange-red not olive because greens have already been used by 6 lines (including DLR and Tramlink) already while 4 lines (before adding the "Battersea line") use the red shades if you ignore the Romford-Upminster shuttle.

P.S. Because someone complained about lack of labels of Tramlink stops, I added the stop icons but no stop labels except for termini. Now Tramlink really looks like a "beaded chain" (I'm a pervert, if you know what I mean...)
Hmmm "Battersea Line". That sure has a certain ring to it. Well, I really must admit your map looks way better (cleaner, more understandable) than the current...thing...that passes for the Tube Map. I'd say it's time for a new Henry Beck and I wouldn't mind if that person were to be you!
Alargule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 06:52 PM   #1571
bloganista
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,335
Likes (Received): 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alargule View Post
Don't you think naming lines after colours would offend certain people?
How so?
Quote:
Anyway, I'm not really in favour of naming lines after colours - that's something you do for children and the otherwise intellectually challenged
Yes, naming lines after colours (the basic ones at least such as red, pink, yellow, etc) would be prosaic and perhaps child-like. However, hues such as olive are an exception, being quite specific and not belonging on the 'primary school list'.

Quote:
Rather, I would take a look at the history of this line. The part running through central London was originally called the "Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead Railway". That's quite a mouthful, so choosing the more colloquial nickname of "Hampstead Tube" or 'Hampstead Line' would probably do better. But I would see no problem in naming this line after one of the two main termini it serves either, so either 'Charing Cross Line' or 'Euston Line' would do as well. 'Charing Cross Line' would also be applicable as the line partly runs below Charing Cross Road in central London.
But the problem is that the Charing Cross also serves the Bakerloo line and rail. All 3 lines have 'equal rights' to Charing Cross so why should the 'breakaway' Northern line be named after it as opposed to the 2 others?
Same with Euston which serves even more.

The name for the 'olive' line should be generic, not location or station-specific.
Take a look, all other names are generic - Northern, Jubilee, Metropolitan, etc. (not station or location-specific) and that's a naming rule which should continue to apply.
__________________
...
bloganista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 07:05 PM   #1572
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger
 
Alargule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 8,210
Likes (Received): 2093

I disagree. Names like Piccadilly (named after Piccadilly Circus), Bakerloo (a portmanteau for the stations Baker Street and Waterloo where the original termini were), Victoria (arguably named after Victoria Street station), Hammersmith and City and Waterloo and City are location and even station specific. So there is no uniform, generic naming convention for Underground lines.

But: what's in a name...?
Alargule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 07:33 PM   #1573
bloganista
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,335
Likes (Received): 484


With one exception, they are multi-location specific. I'm referring to lines with just one location name.

I guess it is the exception that proves the rule.
__________________
...
bloganista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 07:38 PM   #1574
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger
 
Alargule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 8,210
Likes (Received): 2093

Now you're just trying to save your argument. You stated:

Quote:
not location or station-specific
That doesn't mean 'not referring to just one location or station'.

But then again, why are we even having this argument. There is no uniform naming convention, so any applicable name would do. If you'd go for a generic name though, I'd opt for something more London specific. Like Fog Line, or Cockney Line
Alargule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 07:43 PM   #1575
bloganista
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,335
Likes (Received): 484

Location - singular, not plural.
__________________
...
bloganista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 08:00 PM   #1576
sotonsi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,563

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alargule View Post
Piccadilly (named after Piccadilly Circus)
Actually it's named after the road 'Piccadilly', rather than that road's junction with Regent Street.

I'm not a big fan of Sameboat's naming pattern for lines - odd names for the Overground orbital lines that are similar but massively different from the traditional names ('South Chord' for the ELL is especially galling) and lots of stuff named by one terminus. Battersea Line in particular seems very odd and a better name could be made up (and would). That said, the most recent two tube lines to have been given names are "<terminus> & City" following the unoriginal Edwardian naming that was often just descriptive of where they went that time made better (dropping 'Great Northern, ... & Brompton', '... Street & Water...', etc).
__________________

Sameboat liked this post
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 10:40 PM   #1577
bloganista
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,335
Likes (Received): 484


Indeed, its rather over-egging Battersea's importance as a tube stop on that line to call it the 'Battersea line',
as though the primary role of the line is to serve Battersea.
__________________
...

Sameboat liked this post
bloganista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 11:26 PM   #1578
SounderBruce
Transit Photographer
 
SounderBruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,244
Likes (Received): 3630

Sameboat, your map is really fantastic. I absolutely love how the lines in the legend are highlighted on the map with a simple click.

Both CityMetric and CityLab have praised your map.
__________________
My Urban Showcase Thread - Seattle's skyscrapers, roads and transit

Maps of Seattle and the Puget Sound region

Twitter - Flickr - Wikipedia - Seattle Transit Blog - SkyriseCities

Sameboat liked this post
SounderBruce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 11:26 PM   #1579
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger
 
Alargule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 8,210
Likes (Received): 2093

Still beats the Olive Line...except for the (randomly picked, it could as well have been taupe or lavender) colour, I don't see any connection between (the history of) this line and the tasty mediterranean delicacy...
Alargule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 12:44 AM   #1580
Sameboat
Map assistant
 
Sameboat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 148
Likes (Received): 144

Thanks everyone. I can really see the problem of "Battersea line". It's now changed to "Edgware line", not the best name I can come up with, but certainly the least controversial. I'm not a big fan of "X & City line" but I don't think the H&C line and W&C line need rename due to their historic background.


https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...t_temp_cc4.svg

Most cons of my map pointed by CityMetric are quite valid, tho there is a critical reason for not adding the wheelchair blobs. I pretty appreciate the accessible map of Abellio Greater Anglia which uses green-yellow-red station icons to denote the level of accessibility (however, the map seems to have been removed from the official site after Overground's take over of some services). This notation is far better than the wheelchair icons applied by TfL in their standard (non-customized) network map. Admittedly colorblind readers may find it useless, but workaround is simple by adding simple shape to each icon for distinction.
__________________
Wiki: Sum of All Human Silliness

sotonsi, Arnorian liked this post

Last edited by Sameboat; June 3rd, 2015 at 04:09 PM.
Sameboat no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
metro, rail, transport

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium