daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 3rd, 2015, 01:39 AM   #1581
Antje
Public Transport Fan

Hampstead line, after the Hampstead Tube, one of the two original names for the line.

Sameboat liked this post
Antje no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2015, 04:08 AM   #1582
Sameboat
Map assistant

Likes (Received): 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antje View Post
Hampstead line, after the Hampstead Tube, one of the two original names for the line.
I didn't name it "Hampstead" because there are already 2 Overground stations on the North London Line bearing "Hampstead" and both aren't interchanges to Edgware "branch" of Northern line. I feel "Hampstead line" would be more confusing to anyone without the knowledge of Northern line history.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 04:48 AM   #1583
bloganista

Likes (Received): 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alargule View Post
Still beats the Olive Line...except for the (randomly picked, it could as well have been taupe or lavender) colour, I don't see any connection between (the history of) this line and the tasty mediterranean delicacy...
Just the same as there is no connection between the orange line and the fruit.
Likewise, there is no particular reason for the central line to be red, and so on.

Olive is highly distinguishable from the other line colours and therefore less likely
to get confused with any of them, therefore a very wise choice.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 05:12 AM   #1584
Antje
Public Transport Fan

What about Northern line (for the West end side), and City line in Lime Green (for the City side)?
Antje no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 10:19 AM   #1585
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2093

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloganista View Post
Olive is highly distinguishable from the other line colours and therefore less likely
to get confused with any of them, therefore a very wise choice.
True. But we were arguing about naming lines after their map colours - and after that, about supposed naming conventions for the London Underground lines - and not about what line colour would best suit the western part of the current Northern Line per se. And I'm still not in favour of colour names. If you'd really want to be consistent, you might as well name all the other lines after their respective colours as well. Central = Red, Hammersmith & City = Pink, Victoria = Navy (blue), Northern = Black etc.

But then you'd risk offending people like this guy.
Alargule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 10:51 AM   #1586
Sameboat
Map assistant

Guys there's high concentration of powder and please cease the debate for a moment. You may move to other more appropriate thread like DLR/Underground/Tramlink and continue the discussion calmly. Thank you.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 12:10 PM   #1587
bloganista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alargule View Post
True. But we were arguing about naming lines after their map colours - and after that, about supposed naming conventions for the London Underground lines - and not about what line colour would best suit the western part of the current Northern Line per se. And I'm still not in favour of colour names. If you'd really want to be consistent, you might as well name all the other lines after their respective colours as well. Central = Red, Hammersmith & City = Pink, Victoria = Navy (blue), Northern = Black etc.

But then you'd risk offending people like this guy.
Colours plays a key role in information graphics, attaching any political or cultural significance to them is pointless however when all you want to do is find out the best way of getting from A to B.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 02:12 PM   #1588
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

At least that's something what we can agree upon.

And Sameboat, yes, there is a bit of a row going on here but hey: SSC. What else is new. I do believe though that a discussion about map colours and line names is relevant to this thread. But let's indeed cease the London specific discussion in this thread.
Old June 4th, 2015, 12:53 PM   #1589
bloganista

This is an experimental project I engaged with by making the circle line literally circular.
'Reinventing the circle', you could say

Crossrail is something I toyed with as a fictional line with branches.
There is however a way of adjusting the position of lines and stations such as Farringdon as to accurately represent Crossrail's route.
Just haven't got round to doing it yet.

Sameboat, mrsmartman liked this post
bloganista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 01:06 PM   #1590
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Nice attempt, but it also drives the point home why representing the Circle Line as a full circle is not a good idea: the amount of distortion it causes in the central part is enormous, especially for the north-south oriented lines. Take a look at the amount of empty space, for example, north of the Central Line (without considering the imaginary Crossrail lines which do fill up some space). Or the awkward way the Victoria Line has to be rendered (I count no less than six changes of direction within the Circle Line, whereas the current Tube Map needs only one).
Old June 4th, 2015, 01:28 PM   #1591
bloganista

Quote:
Alargule the amount of distortion it causes in the central part is enormous
Yes, that's one of the things I like about it. Its as though the central part is being viewed through a magnifying glass.

Quote:
I count no less than six changes of direction within the Circle Line, whereas the current Tube map needs only one.
Yes, that's the price you pay for making the circle line a perfect circle.
Please don't take the map too seriously. Its only playful experimentation, not a proposal for changing the current map.
Old June 4th, 2015, 01:32 PM   #1592
Sameboat
Map assistant

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...doOd0rA3hI8tG8

My letter about everything I have in mind during the production of my TfL rail map.
Old June 4th, 2015, 02:22 PM   #1593
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Quote:
Do I have the guts to replace the official map with my own? I dare not. Not because of the fear of rejection, but the fact that the official map has undergone much more supervisions than an amateur map. The current mess of the official Tube map is the result of so many high-ups’ requirements albeit mostly unreasonable in terms of graphic design.
Exactly my main motivation to keep my map making practices in the amateur domain. I don't get paid for it, but I get all the freedom to make my own choices in the design process in return, without some corporate nit-wit bending to the latest farts and fads telling me what to put into it.
Old June 4th, 2015, 02:34 PM   #1594
Brenda goats

Likes (Received): 152

Don't like the map with the big circle line, it implies you can ride round and round, however you'll need to change at Edgware Rd.
Brenda goats no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 04:58 PM   #1595
Sameboat
Map assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloganista View Post
This is an experimental project I engaged with by making the circle line literally circular.
'Reinventing the circle', you could say

Crossrail is something I toyed with as a fictional line with branches.
There is however a way of adjusting the position of lines and stations such as Farringdon as to accurately represent Crossrail's route.
Just haven't got round to doing it yet.
Now this totally looks like Moscow Metro map. Is this map hand-drawn??
Old June 6th, 2015, 05:46 PM   #1596
Arnorian

Likes (Received): 14670

Jug Cerović's new maps:

Revamped NYC Subway map:

Osaka:

Revamped Tokyo:

http://www.inat.fr/

Sameboat, mrsmartman, Mojito liked this post

Last edited by Arnorian; June 6th, 2015 at 05:58 PM.
Arnorian está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2015, 11:56 AM   #1597
:jax:

Likes (Received): 540

Sameboat's map has garnered good media reviews:

TimeOut: Is this unofficial tube map easier to understand than the original?
The Independent: A Tube map of the London Underground that's far more useful than the 'official' one
:jax: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2015, 02:00 PM   #1598
bloganista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sameboat View Post
Now this totally looks like Moscow Metro map. Is this map hand-drawn??
No its a low-res Adobe Illustrator image of a map I designed about 10 years ago.

I've worked on quite a few other maps since then, most recently a reworking of the Warsaw rail, tram and metro network which was also published.

Portraying lines with sweeping or gentle curves expresses efficiency, speed and a smooth flow of traffic. It also allows the eye to trace the line more easily without any jaggedness.

Come to think of it, I've never seen a readable map showing lines with tight corners.
Old June 7th, 2015, 02:12 PM   #1599
bloganista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda goats View Post
Don't like the map with the big circle line, it implies you can ride round and round, however you'll need to change at Edgware Rd.
Its a 'novelty' map remember, not really for anyone wanting to find out how to get from Y to Z.

The idea behind the circle is to accentuate the centre of London in a very definitive way,
giving it clear focus.
Anything within the circle being recognised as Zone 1 or 'inner-city' and anything beyond the circle being largely suburban with zones 2 and onwards.

I know, its a very notional concept but an interesting one that you could somehow 'organise' London in such a definitively lucid way. In real life you can't but no harm trying
Old June 7th, 2015, 04:05 PM   #1600
Sameboat
Map assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by :jax: View Post
Thanks and noted. Sadly not so good in their comment sections but I more or less have been mentally prepared for those comments. I think the problem of all alternative Tube maps, including mine, isn't how they're being drawn. The current integrated system of Underground, Overground, DLR and Crossrail is hopelessly intricate. There is no way you can instantly locate a station (among more than 400) in the Tube map if you're not familiar with the system in the first place. Literally the rail-only map alone isn't helpful to non-commuter traveler who need immediate direction. The point-to-point journey planner system is more realistic and efficient to such need. So I must say it out loud, shamelessly: The Tube map is nothing but a decoration printed only for wasting Earth resources since the advancement of computer/internet technology.

The primary purpose of making the Tube map today is merely to demonstrate the scale of TfL's rail network/the capital. Its original goal of helping navigation is basically no more, actually nobody bothers. Still if the user has the station name and want to locate it in the Tube map, then vector map with searchable text is definitely a must. That's why I use SVG format, but text of the official PDF maps is searchable as well anyway.

Arnorian, Abbendymion liked this post
Sameboat no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, rail, transport