daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 22nd, 2015, 11:37 AM   #1641
nidave

Likes (Received): 769

Manchester Metrolink are changing the Maps
Old: http://www.metrolink.co.uk/stationin.../Route_Map.pdf
Example of new style:

Spotted by pjm0512

Sameboat, Zaz965 liked this post
nidave no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2015, 12:06 PM   #1642
Blackhavvk

Likes (Received): 7892

Moscow 2035

Arnorian, Zaz965, BadHatter liked this post
Blackhavvk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2015, 11:38 AM   #1643
Arnorian

Likes (Received): 14670

Madrid:

http://www.madridxpress.com/
Old August 29th, 2015, 03:36 PM   #1644
:jax:

Likes (Received): 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sameboat View Post

I am more bothered by the counter-intuitive informational hierarchy: Hollow lines for existing/WIP railways but solid lines for suggestion. The usages should be swapped.
It makes sense in a planning context. Then the salient information is what is new or changed, while the existing network is familiar and there for orientation purposes. This is particularly true if the existing network is big and the changes and extensions relatively small, they could otherwise easily get lost.

bloganista liked this post
:jax: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2015, 06:35 AM   #1645
Sameboat
Map assistant

Likes (Received): 144

I understand it helps colorblind reader easier access the map, I still hope they can produce an alternative map with colorful tangled spaghetti...

http://www.metrolink.co.uk/Pages/default.aspx

mrsmartman liked this post
Sameboat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2015, 10:53 AM   #1646
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2093

Awful. I can't understand the 'four-and-a-half-star' rating this map got over at transitmaps.tumblr.com, but I guess circular maps are simply all the rage these days.

Let's hope it's a fad that will blow over soon.

Edit: I should really nuance the 'awful' part a bit. I really appreciate the design effort that has gone into this map. I wish I would have the same skills to make a map like this, but hey. However, as a navigation tool, it has serious shortcomings (hence the 'awful'): because of the strict adherence to the circular grid, many lines are forced into odd kinks that make them very hard to follow. And although Sol station can arguably called the epicenter of the metro and cercanías network, there are more stations of importance in the grid-like network. Because a circular grid demands that one station be placed in the epicenter of the grid, the eye is automatically drawn to the center and thus Sol station, giving other stations less prominence, or even worse: the entire network now seems centered around just this station, which simply isn't the case in reality.

Last edited by Alargule; August 31st, 2015 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Some nuances, and 'afwul'?
Alargule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2015, 02:05 PM   #1647
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alargule View Post
Awful.
But still better than the official map
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2015, 02:14 PM   #1648
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2093

Agreed. That looks more like a collection of Mikado sticks than a map.

I really like Maxwell Roberts' curvy map. And I believe that Roberts' circular map of Madrid might have served as an inspiration for David Herraiz...
Old August 31st, 2015, 02:20 PM   #1649
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
But still better than the official map
http://www.softguides.com/madrid_gui...d-map-2007.gif
That's not the map I found on the official website:
https://www.metromadrid.es/export/si...ticoingles.pdf
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2015, 02:31 PM   #1650
sotonsi

Quote:
I understand it helps colorblind reader easier access the map, I still hope they can produce an alternative map with colorful tangled spaghetti...
Or even just add more route markers than at the termini:
Quote:
Here's a shoddily done map with intermediate markers (for proof of concept) that I've just knocked up in 5 minutes.
Though I do love the multiple lines rainbow diagram, there is the issue of 7 lines through Cornbrook and St Peter's Square when the Trafford Park route opens, with only one route avoiding it.
Old August 31st, 2015, 02:32 PM   #1651
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
That's not the map I found on the official website:
https://www.metromadrid.es/export/si...ticoingles.pdf
They've made it a bit better. Still a shoddy piece of design though.
Old August 31st, 2015, 04:33 PM   #1652
Sameboat
Map assistant

Quote:
Or even just add more route markers than at the termini:

Though I do love the multiple lines rainbow diagram, there is the issue of 7 lines through Cornbrook and St Peter's Square when the Trafford Park route opens, with only one route avoiding it.
I don't think 7 lines running parallel thru a station is a huge problem in a topological diagram (hello Berlin S-Bahn). But I think it can be done dynamically by gradually reducing the stroke width of each line (path) when the lines enter the city zone. It's tricky but doable. I may try it when I'm free and have done enough research of the network.

Swede liked this post
Sameboat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2015, 07:48 PM   #1653
Antje
Public Transport Fan

London Overground

London Overground Map (May 2015) by Antje, on Flickr
Antje no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2015, 02:51 PM   #1654
Brenda goats

Likes (Received): 152

The time has come to distinguish between the many overground lines.

Alargule, Abbendymion liked this post
Brenda goats no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2015, 05:19 PM   #1655
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

What I'd like to see is a map showing just the Overground and Crossrail (and maybe Thameslink). Sort of a middle layer between the Underground and the outer commuter lines.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2015, 06:00 PM   #1656
sotonsi

Quote:
I don't think 7 lines running parallel thru a station is a huge problem in a topological diagram (hello Berlin S-Bahn).
Indeed, it's not a huge problem, but it's a handy excuse to simplify the map.

The real reason why they've done this is that they got fed up of having to alter the map for engineering works (funny as they've gone through the hardest bit - a city centre blockade) and simply moving little flags, rather than partially redrawing the map, every week.
Quote:
But I think it can be done dynamically by gradually reducing the stroke width of each line (path) when the lines enter the city zone.
Yuck! Just have a small stroke width the whole time.
Quote:
It's tricky but doable.
Indeed, I'm pretty sure I've seen an in-car map (ie wide and short) with them all on.

A quick google finds it (with 8 lines through the centre section) - it was on this site.
Quote:
I may try it when I'm free and have done enough research of the network.
No need!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackenziesoley View Post

Sameboat liked this post
Old September 1st, 2015, 11:01 PM   #1657
Arnorian

Likes (Received): 14670

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alargule View Post
I really like Maxwell Roberts' curvy map. And I believe that Roberts' circular map of Madrid might have served as an inspiration for David Herraiz...
For me Jug Cerovic's map is the most elegant map of Madrid's rail transit network.

http://www.inat.fr/metro/madrid/
Old September 2nd, 2015, 12:02 PM   #1658
zidar fr

Likes (Received): 625

Thanks Arnorian

The circular Madrid map you posted is indeed a great piece of design. The map is well balanced, there is a pleasant rhythm in the successive circles, spacing is generous. In a nutshell graphically a very good work.

Now as a subway diagram for navigation and orientation purpose I think it has got 2 major flaws:

- The lines have too many kinks so it is very difficult to memorize the shape of a line, let alone all the lines and their connecting points, an essential feature of a schematic diagram.

- The circular nature of the map focuses on a single point in the center, Sol, which is one of the centers of Madrid but not the only one.
Madrid is not a radial city, the area around the old city center doesn't have radial avenues towards the outskirts but is a regular grid of parallel streets. Actually Madrid is more of a linear city with the north-south Castellana street effectively acting as its backbone: Atocha train station is on its southern end, then moving north come the museums, the fancy retail/residential Salamanca just to the east, the Economic/administrative center at Nuevos Ministerios, and finaly Chamartin station and the 4 towers on its northern tip.

I have always believed that a schematic metro map needs to convey an accurate though symbolic image of the city so that you can understand its layout and enjoy navigating the network.

Alargule, Arnorian, Sameboat, bloganista liked this post
zidar fr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2015, 11:05 AM   #1659
bloganista

Likes (Received): 484

Nice to hang on your living room wall though, which is probably its main purpose rather than for the metro-travelling public in Madrid, needing to quickly find the best way of getting from Y to Z.
Old September 7th, 2015, 06:21 AM   #1660
Sameboat
Map assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by zidar fr View Post
Thanks Arnorian

The circular Madrid map you posted is indeed a great piece of design. The map is well balanced, there is a pleasant rhythm in the successive circles, spacing is generous. In a nutshell graphically a very good work.

Now as a subway diagram for navigation and orientation purpose I think it has got 2 major flaws:

- The lines have too many kinks so it is very difficult to memorize the shape of a line, let alone all the lines and their connecting points, an essential feature of a schematic diagram.

- The circular nature of the map focuses on a single point in the center, Sol, which is one of the centers of Madrid but not the only one.
Madrid is not a radial city, the area around the old city center doesn't have radial avenues towards the outskirts but is a regular grid of parallel streets. Actually Madrid is more of a linear city with the north-south Castellana street effectively acting as its backbone: Atocha train station is on its southern end, then moving north come the museums, the fancy retail/residential Salamanca just to the east, the Economic/administrative center at Nuevos Ministerios, and finaly Chamartin station and the 4 towers on its northern tip.

I have always believed that a schematic metro map needs to convey an accurate though symbolic image of the city so that you can understand its layout and enjoy navigating the network.
I personally have little trouble to trace and recognize the individual route in a concentric map but that possibly because I read maps alot. One of the few faults to me is that the river "Manzanares" is quite ambiguous from the metro lines because they share the same stroke width and bending behaviors. I think the kinks between Piramides (lime line 5) and Legazpi (yellow line 3 & grey line 6) can be straightened at least so it looks more like a background element with the fare zones.

In the latest update, the fare zones are given gradients. I am not a huge fan of gradient background in a map because that can be unhealthily distracting. (Yes there is healthy distraction in my book when necessary).

Tags
metro, rail, transport