daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 7th, 2015, 12:27 PM   #1661
zidar fr

Likes (Received): 625

It's not so much about reading the map, this concentric Madrid map is indeed very legible thanks to skilled design, it's more about memorizing the network and shaping an image of the city.

I think that concentric diagrams like this one are simply too complex for an average user to memorize: too many kinks, too many different angles, too complex shapes.

Example: take orange line (7), in reality it goes roughly north-south, then west-east, two segments. On the circular diagram it has a very complex shape, way more complex than in reality. It is quite tricky to memorize such a shape and mentally imagine the connections to the other lines in order to navigate the system.

The subway map is a powerful tool for shaping the image of the network and the city overall, you see it everyday in the subway, it's small and neat, and you intuitively trust it. Over time you start to perceive the city through the map and not the other way around. That's why I consider that a schematic metro map needs to be not only an efficient navigation diagram but also needs to convey a meaning, a symbolic composition connected to what is above ground.

Alargule liked this post
zidar fr no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2015, 01:11 PM   #1662
bloganista

Likes (Received): 484

Surely the aim was just to make the map look nice and interesting but nothing beyond that.
Old September 29th, 2015, 04:59 AM   #1663
Sameboat
Map assistant

Likes (Received): 144

This thread has been rather quiet lately, so here's the geographical map of Crossrail alignment.
Actually the official Crossrail construction website already has one, but as you know Wikimedia need a free alternative,
that's why we need to make it "from scratch", precisely referencing the geographical data from OpenStreetMap.
Just before the recent update, this SVG map was quite geographically inaccurate and lacked the Thames (to serve as geographical clue),
Yesterday a German Wikimedian asked me for an update of the German version (previously lacked Reading to Twyford section),
hence I was motivated to revise both.

The official version has detailed borough boundaries.
Apparently I don't have the stamina to trace all of them,
so I took the shortcut by adding the boundaries of fare zones
which I think would be quite helpful for readers to estimate the fares.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...ilLine1Map.svg
Old September 29th, 2015, 11:17 AM   #1664
bigcoaster

Likes (Received): 973

What about the new Tube map?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...-tube-map.html

Last edited by bigcoaster; September 29th, 2015 at 11:47 AM.
bigcoaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2015, 03:09 PM   #1665
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcoaster View Post
Covered repeatidly in other threads.

And thankfully it's not the new Tube Map as it's awful. Other maps meet its aims better and geographic is useless for navigating the network.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2015, 05:20 PM   #1666
Sameboat
Map assistant

Transit Maps gave this Rome rail transit map 4 stars. The general positioning of all stations is OK, but I can't believe that Cameron missed the fact that some metro station icons slightly offset to one side of the rail path for no good reason. Many don't seem to lean towards the station label, e.g. Lepanto (on orange Metro line A), Libia (on blue Metro line B1).

Another fault about the PDF itself is that none of the texts in the map is searchable, defeating half of the reasons to release the map in PDF format. (JFYI, texts in all Transport for London official PDF maps are perfectly searchable, just click Ctrl+F in your PDF reader and type the keyword).

http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=4

mrsmartman liked this post
Sameboat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2015, 05:33 PM   #1667
narkelion
Brentered

Likes (Received): 16513

Those are small errors, compared to what's really wrong on that map.

The 3 line in fact has an exchange stop with Metro B at Colosseo, in the map they seem very far apart.

Due Ponti, Tor di Quinto and Grottarossa stops, on Roma nord - Viterbo light rail line are on the northern side of the river, not in the southern or even in the middle of it.

Battistini is not that close to GRA.

Porta San Paolo, Ostiense and Piramide stations are all connected in a big exchange station, but they look separate in the map.

There is not the grey dot that represent regional railways in Termini station (its symbol, BTW, looks right like a pen.is )

It would have been way better if the regional railway lines had been printed in all the different colours they represent. In this way, one that doesn't know which line goes where, may think that from Cesano you can go to Fidene without changing line, or from Monterotondo to Lunghezza, or from Settebagni to Aurelia.
Urban Area: 100611
Metropolitan Area: 175818

2nd in Marche / 44th in Italy / n-th in European Union per popolazione
1st in Marche / 18th in Italy per qualitÓ della vita

Sameboat liked this post
narkelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2015, 04:09 AM   #1668
Sameboat
Map assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by narkelion View Post
Those are small errors, compared to what's really wrong on that map.

The 3 line in fact has an exchange stop with Metro B at Colosseo, in the map they seem very far apart.

Due Ponti, Tor di Quinto and Grottarossa stops, on Roma nord - Viterbo light rail line are on the northern side of the river, not in the southern or even in the middle of it.

Battistini is not that close to GRA.

Porta San Paolo, Ostiense and Piramide stations are all connected in a big exchange station, but they look separate in the map.

There is not the grey dot that represent regional railways in Termini station (its symbol, BTW, looks right like a pen.is )

It would have been way better if the regional railway lines had been printed in all the different colours they represent. In this way, one that doesn't know which line goes where, may think that from Cesano you can go to Fidene without changing line, or from Monterotondo to Lunghezza, or from Settebagni to Aurelia.
I agree all of your points especially about the Termini interchange shape, this is perhaps the reason I always subconsciously avoid such T-joint shape in my diagram. Anyway I think you should post your comments in that Transit Maps Tumblr post. All in all, I don't think this map deserves 4 stars like the Paris Express Line 15, but other better maps (e.g. unofficial Welsh passenger rail map and Ilya Birman's Chelyabinsk tram map) from my POV only got the measly 3 or 3.5 stars from Cameron. His ranking criteria are always very baffling.

narkelion liked this post
Old October 1st, 2015, 09:30 AM   #1669
narkelion
Brentered

Likes (Received): 16513

You're right, I posted there as well.
Urban Area: 100611
Metropolitan Area: 175818

2nd in Marche / 44th in Italy / n-th in European Union per popolazione
1st in Marche / 18th in Italy per qualitÓ della vita

Sameboat, Swede liked this post
narkelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2015, 01:07 PM   #1670
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2093

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sameboat View Post
His ranking criteria are always very baffling.
I really appreciate mr. Booth's enthusiasm, and the fact that he updates his blog on a regular basis is a good reason for me to check in regularly. However, it does occur to me that he usually pays more attention to the visual wow-factor than to usability of a map. A clear example was his 4.5 star rating of this Madrid Map. Yes, it's very appealing visually, but hardly of any use to quickly navigate the Madrid Metro network (but that's also in large part my opinion).

I find the whole idea of rating the work of others (fellow colleagues in the field in particular) a bit pedantic anyway. But hey, it's good reading and there really are some gems to be found there. And examples of how good intentions can go horribly wrong.

Sameboat liked this post
Alargule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2015, 08:53 PM   #1671
Sameboat
Map assistant

Someone wants non-Beck characteristics, and I give you this:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...English_sb.svg

Old November 4th, 2015, 12:50 PM   #1672
MarkO

Likes (Received): 268

ATTENTION ALL SUBWAY MAP LOVERS!

I'm thrilled to tell you the the planet's only book featuring the official current maps of virtually every urban rail/subway/light rail and streetcar system is now available in a completely revised and updated new edition.

"Transit Maps of The World (revised 2015)" celebrates the genre we all love so much with more than 350 maps not seen in previous editions, (including many rare vintage ones), plus all new text and data on around 1000 systems.

http://www.amazon.com/Transit-Maps-W.../dp/0143128493

There's also a fair few "fantasy" maps and some exclusives commissioned especially for the book.

It's fair to say that you forummers here on SSC have been a great inspiration to me in compiling the book and I hope you appreciate what we have put together for carto-philes everywhere!

Alargule, malfet, Abbendymion, AsHalt, Mojito and 1 others liked this post
MarkO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2015, 01:47 AM   #1673
bloganista

Give it a rest.
If you want to advertise, at least have the decency to pay for an ad, not use blog space to advertise for free.
Old November 5th, 2015, 02:02 AM   #1674
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8829

Ah be polite please. Not everyone knows it is out given it is such a niche subject. If he excessively spams he will of course be punished, but in this case I'll let it slide. Most here will be interested at least.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2015, 02:41 PM   #1675
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2093

Exactly. I'd rather consider this a useful heads-up for the map aficionados (I'm amongst them) than spamming.

Now I'm just curious whether one of my maps is featured in the new book, but I guess the only way I'll find out is to buy it

MarkO, AsHalt, Muiderpoort liked this post
Alargule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2015, 09:42 PM   #1676
bloganista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Ah be polite please. Not everyone knows it is out given it is such a niche subject. If he excessively spams he will of course be punished, but in this case I'll let it slide. Most here will be interested at least.
Its just typical advertising copy, not a recommendation so much as a cheap sell.
Infact the only thing missing is $19.99 OUT NOW!
Old November 12th, 2015, 09:05 AM   #1677
subbotazh

Likes (Received): 325

new map of Moscow metro by Ilya Birman (designer)

ht tp://ilyabirman. ru/projects/moscow-metro/

Sameboat liked this post
subbotazh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2015, 06:02 AM   #1678
SounderBruce
Transit Photographer

Likes (Received): 3630

New strip map on Link Light Rail trains in Seattle, Washington.

Features room for 3 stations opening in 2016 (two on the north end, one on the south end) as well as new branding for the Central Link line (to become the Red Line).

Link Red Line strip map by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Link Red Line strip map by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Compare to before:

007 - probably the simplest light rail network map I've ever seen by Kurt Best, on Flickr

Maps of Seattle and the Puget Sound region

Twitter - Flickr - Wikipedia - Seattle Transit Blog - SkyriseCities

SounderBruce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2015, 01:24 AM   #1679
SounderBruce
Transit Photographer

Likes (Received): 3630

A map of the expanded Washington DC Metro, made by Reddit user Cythrosi:

Maps of Seattle and the Puget Sound region

Twitter - Flickr - Wikipedia - Seattle Transit Blog - SkyriseCities

Manitopiaaa, Mr. Pollo liked this post
SounderBruce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2015, 03:38 PM   #1680
Sameboat
Map assistant

Joining the recent fun of Washington Metro map because the one on Wikimedia is outdated and not modification-friendly, instead I made a true SVG from scratch.

Arnorian liked this post

Last edited by Sameboat; November 28th, 2015 at 01:58 PM.

Tags
metro, rail, transport