daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 10th, 2008, 10:38 PM   #221
LoverOfDubai

Likes (Received): 0

Three double-decker buses start running on Dubai-Sharjah route
By Joy Sengupta
10 August 2008

DUBAI - Three 81-seater, double-decker buses were on Friday introduced by the Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) on the Dubai-Sharjah route.

The buses commence their journeys from Al Ghubaiba (Bur Dubai) bus station and drop passengers at the Al Jubail and Al Rolla bus stations in Sharjah.

According to senior officials of RTA's Public Transport Agency, a total of 70 double-decker buses are expected to run on the Dubai-Sharjah route by the end of this year.

“The buses can accommodate 114 passengers,” the official added. 'In the second phase, double-deckers would be plying on Dubai's internal roads from early next year.”

Abdullah Yousuf Al Ali, Director of Public Bus Department in the Public Transport Agency, told Khaleej Times that talks were on for increasing the fares on Dubai-Sharjah route.

'There is a plan to increase the fare. Right now, the Dubai-Sharjah bus journey costs Dh5,' he said.

The introduction of double-decker buses has brought relief to the commuters.

Shiraj Bhanu, an Indian national who frequently uses the Dubai-Sharjah bus service, said, 'Kudos to the RTA for starting these buses. It was a pleasant surprise for me this morning as I saw one of the buses parked at the Bur Dubai Bus Station. My first trip was terrific,' he said.

Irene, a Filipina, said the new buses were welcome. 'With three buses now and a lot more in line by the year end, the commuters travelling between the two emirates can heave a collective sigh of relief. We hope that there are shorter waits now for these inter-emirate buses. The RTA deserves a pat on their back for this,' she added.

Ajmal Hussain Khan, a Pakistani national, added that the RTA needed to come up with dedicated bus lanes on certain routes.

'Buses are fine, but the journey time needs to reduced. At present, it takes us almost an hour or even more to reach Sharjah. There must be dedicated bus lanes on important routes. Until this is done, the problems will remain,' he said.

Al Ali also said that 'Coach' service between Dubai and Abu Dhabi is expected to start in the next two months. The 35-seater buses would be equipped with toilets.

There are plans to start a bus service on the Dubai-Al Ain route, too, he added.
http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayA...section=theuae
LoverOfDubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #222
taikoo.city
ぴったん,ラーラーもじぴったん~~

Those doubledeckers look absolutely awesome in the streets of Dubai!

However a capacity of 114 passengers with 81 seats is a bit too low for a 13.7m bus...

> Hong Kong is still part of the United Kingdom!! Please help BN(O)s to get what they deserve~~

> MTR North Island Line Discussion Thread
taikoo.city no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 12:09 AM   #223
LoverOfDubai

Commuters get view from top with double-deckers
By Alice Johnson, Staff Reporter
11 August 2008, 23:23

The double-decker buses running between Dubai and Sharjah have been introduced a month ahead of schedule. (Supplied Picture)

Dubai: Bus services and fleets are increasing across the UAE, in an attempt to ease traffic and road congestion.

Double-decker buses have been introduced between Dubai and Sharjah - a month ahead of schedule, the Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) has said.

The new service will link Al Ghubaiba Station in Bur Dubai with Al Jubail Station in Sharjah.

"We have launched this service, ahead of the scheduled date which was set as next September, and we will continue to beef up our double decker bus fleet between Dubai and Sharjah such that we will have around 70 buses over the coming months, including 15 buses pencilled in for operation on this route this September.

"This demonstrates the huge attention paid by the RTA to the Dubai-Sharjah route, which attracts considerable numbers of commuters shuttling between the two emirates for their work or residence," said Abdul Aziz Malek, CEO of the Dubai Taxi Agency and Acting CEO of the Public Transport Agency.

The RTA currently has a fleet of 200 buses running between Dubai and Sharjah. Last year, the RTA put out a tender for the purchase of 620 buses, including 170 double-decker buses, which are expected to be delivered by March 2009.

It had earlier said it would purchase 1,616 modern buses to expand its existing fleet of 600 by the end of next year.

In January, the RTA announced that four new bus routes utilising 104 buses would be launched in Dubai.

New routes

The new routes are: route number C0 running between Deira City Centre and Dubai Zoo; bus number X23 operating between Academic City and Al Nahda; bus number X35 running between Al Warqaa and the Green Community; and number 53 operating between International City and the Mall of the Emirates.

Abu Dhabi has also been introducing new bus routes, including a free service until the end of 2008. Eventually, 258 buses (125 new and 133 refurbished) will be deployed, also by the end of this year.

Twelve bus stations will be renovated and 25 new stations will be introduced in Abu Dhabi.

Sharjah introduced a bus service, number 14, in mid-July that is currently operating as a test run. The service will be expanded to include 18 routes with 120 operational buses.

The new double-decker buses are fitted with Euro 4 engines, which meet environmental specifications.

The RTA also confirmed that the trial of hybrid taxi engines is continuing.

"The RTA is proceeding ahead with the pilot operation of 10 hybrid environment-friendly vehicles, Chevrolet Tahoe and Malibus; which were recently inaugurated in association with the General Motors Co. These vehicles use twin engines [electricity and fuel operated engines] and an experimental operation is in hand according to plan, and the initial results are encouraging. The gist of this initiative revolves around implementation of the currently available modern technology to curb pollution from vehicle exhausts. It seeks to improve the quality of fuel used in public buses, and apply the global standards governing gas emissions to vehicles in Dubai," Malek said.

Malek also confirmed that the RTA is considering "a sweeping renovation of mass transit systems in the emirate, to make them more environmentally-friendly."

Existing abra engines are also due to be replaced with gas (CNG) operated engines.

High-tech new features
  • Statistical system to count bus commuters.
  • GPS link with RTA control centre.
  • Internal and external high-definition electronic display monitors.
  • Wheelchair accessibility measures.
http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles.../10236403.html
Old August 13th, 2008, 06:38 AM   #224
Brice

Likes (Received): 168

They should build a commuter train between Dubai and Sharjah. These buses are ugly.
Brice no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 06:21 PM   #225
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

Ugly???

BTW, another Metro Train was being tested on the tracks today, looked awsome.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 02:05 AM   #226
LoverOfDubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brice View Post
They should build a commuter train between Dubai and Sharjah.
That probably will happen. A lot of people travel between Sharjah and Dubai every day. Some people say (something like this) that Dubai's population doubles during the day due to all the people from Sharjah that come into Dubai to work. While no plans are currently known (publicly) for commuter rail (or an extension of the Dubai Metro) between Sharjah and Dubai, the two emirates will need to work together to solve the traffic problems that heavily effect them equally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brice View Post
These buses are ugly.
Why? I actually think they are beautiful. But, of course opinions are opinions.
Old August 14th, 2008, 03:33 AM   #227
LoverOfDubai

I know this is not truly public transport, but I thought I should share it:

No need to wait in line for taxis at City Centre
By Emmanuelle Landais, Staff Reporter
13 August 2008, 23:46

Dubai: Deira City Centre is encouraging shoppers to take a free shuttle bus home rather than wait in line for taxis.

The shuttle service from the centre covers a number of neighbourhoods in Deira and Bur Dubai, which means there is no need to waste time in the taxi queue.

Shoppers at Deira City Centre often have to wait up to an hour or more for taxis.

There are six shuttle buses, travelling past the Deira Clock Tower, Taj Palace Hotel, Rigga Road, Lotus Hotel, Twin Towers, Nasr Square and as far as Bank Street in Bur Dubai and also Karama. The service runs every day from 3pm to midnight, leaving at half-hour intervals.

Alternative

According to the shopping centre management 50,000 people have been using the service every month.

It was introduced last year but with taxi queues not abating management has decided to remind shoppers of the alternative.

"We introduced the complimentary bus service for residents in 2007 to make their commute from the centre as easy and comfortable as possible.

"Not only does our service prove beneficial to customers but also to the environment. In its own small way, our buses are helping reduce congestion on Dubai's roads and saving some precious fuel as well," said Fuad Al Najjar, Vice-President, Deira City Centre.

Mall visitors who would like to use the service should head to the air-conditioned shuttle bus terminal at the west end of the centre.
http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles.../10236892.html
Old August 14th, 2008, 06:38 AM   #228
LoverOfDubai

And... do not forget about Dubai's original form of public transportation: abras!

Old August 14th, 2008, 08:19 AM   #229
taikoo.city
ぴったん,ラーラーもじぴったん~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoverOfDubai View Post
Or maybe Dubai should get something like this :
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=683788

> Hong Kong is still part of the United Kingdom!! Please help BN(O)s to get what they deserve~~

> MTR North Island Line Discussion Thread
taikoo.city no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 08:27 AM   #230
Brice

Likes (Received): 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoverOfDubai View Post
That probably will happen. A lot of people travel between Sharjah and Dubai every day. Some people say (something like this) that Dubai's population doubles during the day due to all the people from Sharjah that come into Dubai to work. While no plans are currently known (publicly) for commuter rail (or an extension of the Dubai Metro) between Sharjah and Dubai, the two emirates will need to work together to solve the traffic problems that heavily effect them equally.

They look too boxy and too high. I prefer an articulated bus.
Brice no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 11:42 AM   #231
AltinD
The Modecator

Articulated buses while looking cool, do not play well on a heavily congested road.
I can cheat you blind.

Old August 16th, 2008, 10:21 PM   #232
LoverOfDubai

RTA project to boost bus services in Dubai
Staff Report
16 August 2008, 21:10

Dubai: A new public bus depot is to be constructed in the Al Rawiyya area of Dubai.

The Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) announced yesterday it had endorsed a Dh400 million contract for the construction work.

The station will provide a range of comprehensive services, including maintenance workshops and supply services.

The first phase of the project, which has an estimated cost of Dh205 million, includes construction of the bus depot capable of accommodating 295 buses.

The second phase includes construction of an administration office for about 40 employees, in addition to driver's quarters with a capacity to house 444 drivers.

An investment building, containing food courts, shops and a mosque, will also be constructed.

Mattar Al Tayer, Chairman of the Board and Executive Director of the RTA, said the project aimed to encourage more people to use the city's bus service in a bid to ease traffic congestion.

He said: "We are working on the provision of highly sophisticated buses to deliver top quality services at affordable rates and with a wide geographical coverage. It will also contribute towards achieving mass transit modes that include public buses, the Dubai Metro and marine transport.

"The new buses are fitted with the latest technological features and highest safety and security standards. The design of the second door entry point on articulated buses includes a non-slip floor to ease boarding and alighting of passengers with disabilities."

The RTA has signed an agreement with Al Futtaim Auto and Machinery Company to purchase 55 deluxe buses at a cost of Dh128 million. The agreement covers 30 first class single deck buses, 15 deluxe buses and 10 first class buses fitted with facilities to accommodate wheelchairs.

Al Tayer added: "In the near future, the RTA will award the contract of the world's biggest bus purchase order covering 1,616 buses of different sizes and shapes."

"State-of-the-art technological features fitted to these buses include voice announcements, global positioning systems linked to the RTA control room, as well as internal and external monitors.

"Following this order, the number of buses in service by 2009 will hit 2,500, ensuring public transport will cover the whole emirate. It is hoped that these buses, together with Dubai Metro and marine transport modes, will contribute to attracting 30 per cent of transit in Dubai."
http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles.../10237782.html
Old August 17th, 2008, 12:08 AM   #233
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

Dubai's traffic problems are homemade, because of the low density. It's good that the authorities are introducing more and more public transport, but some urban planning and thinking ahead would be even better.

The metro system itself is not that impressive and I think that the different classes are a mistake. While I understand the idea behind it, in reality it's a burden. What if only three gold pass members show up, but the other sections are crowded? What if woman choose to ride in the mixed section, that one is crowded and the female & kids section is empty?

In addition it's a huge mistake to build so many parallel systems that are not compatible (talking about the monorail now).
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 12:16 AM   #234
AltinD
The Modecator

The Monorail serves a totally different place (privately owned I might say) that would not be accessible by the Metro anyway.
I can cheat you blind.

Old August 17th, 2008, 12:31 AM   #235
LoverOfDubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheintram View Post
Dubai's traffic problems are homemade, because of the low density. It's good that the authorities are introducing more and more public transport, but some urban planning and thinking ahead would be even better.
Very true. Hopefully the Dubai Metro will entice people to move closer to the metro lines, bus routes or future tram and monorail lines.

I also hope the Dubai Metro will gentrify Deira and Bur Dubai (which are the areas of Dubai with the highest densities).

Quote:
The metro system itself is not that impressive and I think that the different classes are a mistake. While I understand the idea behind it, in reality it's a burden. What if only three gold pass members show up, but the other sections are crowded? What if woman choose to ride in the mixed section, that one is crowded and the female & kids section is empty?
Well, nothing is set in stone. I am sure that the Dubai Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) will observe the successes and failures of the Dubai Metro for the first two years. After that, they will probably make alterations to improve service or even eliminate the different class systems.

Advertising will also play a big part in the success of the Gold Class.

Quote:
In addition it's a huge mistake to build so many parallel systems that are not compatible (talking about the monorail now).
Are you talking about the Palm Jumeirah Monorail? Although it will not initially connect with the Dubai Metro, I think it will eventually terminate at a Dubai Metro station.
Old August 17th, 2008, 04:51 PM   #236
AltinD
The Modecator

People stop speaking like full of confidence experts about foreign places you have neither visited nor really know what they have planned or why.
I can cheat you blind.

Old August 17th, 2008, 04:56 PM   #237
luv2bebrown

Likes (Received): 109

Quote:
its actually high density that causes traffic.
low density = no traffic.

i dare you to find me a traffic jam in mirdif. you cant.
now find me a traffic jam in bur dubai/deira. easy

pretty sure muscat is a low density city and im pretty sure muscat isnt gridlocked.
luv2bebrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 12:21 AM   #238
LoverOfDubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
People stop speaking like full of confidence experts about foreign places you have neither visited nor really know what they have planned or why.
Sorry. I am just trying to create conversation. Please feel free to correct me if I said something wrong.
Old August 18th, 2008, 01:19 AM   #239
LoverOfDubai

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bebrown View Post
its actually high density that causes traffic.
low density = no traffic.

i dare you to find me a traffic jam in mirdif. you cant.
now find me a traffic jam in bur dubai/deira. easy

pretty sure muscat is a low density city and im pretty sure muscat isnt gridlocked.
Luv2bebrown, I think Rheintram was referring to the fact that Dubai is spread out and you have to drive to get to most places. I think he was saying that most of the traffic is created because the low density means that nothing is close-by.

And I partly agree with your assessment. Lower density areas do not usually have traffic jams while higher density areas do. But, they are such different areas with completely different characteristics that they cannot be compared that easily.
Old August 18th, 2008, 11:37 AM   #240
AltinD
The Modecator

The biggest source of traffic is the HUGE Jebel Ali Port and Free Zone that is some 30 - 40 km from the city center. The port was build there because that was the right spot to build it. There are tens of thousands of people that works on the thousands of companies within the free zone.

A very dense Deira and Bur Dubai ads allot to the traffic, actually slowing of the traffic there spills over on the SZR highway.

Anyway, I don't know what we are discussing here, because every major city has traffic jams and bigger then those Dubai has. Even the European or the few North American cities with fantastic public transportations systems, witness traffic jams of Dubai scale or bigger.

It's very naive for some people to think that because their underground ride is congestion-free, the drivers on the roads above them are having it easy.

I know how bad it is in the big European cities, and I have also experienced how bad it can get in Toronto or New York City ... so people, think before you speak.
I can cheat you blind.

Tags
dubai