daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 14th, 2008, 06:00 AM   #321
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

Likes (Received): 533

Mohammad endorses design of Ferry Dubai

By Alia Al Theeb, Staff Reporter
Published: October 13, 2008, 14:08
Dubai: Ferries plying along Dubai Creek will soon provide an alternative mode of transport that will also help address the issue of traffic congestion on the city's roads.

His Highness Shaikh Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, has endorsed the Ferry Dubai concept and the project will have an outlay of Dh178 million. Each ferry will be capable of carrying 100 passengers.

Part of strategic plan

"This project is part of the master study and the strategic plan developed by the RTA [Roads and Transport Authority] to upgrade marine transport in the emirate," Mattar Al Tayer, chairman of the board and executive director of the RTA, said during a press conference held yesterday to unveil the project.

Al Tayer said the project aims to meet aspirations and requirements of a new segment of the community and cover hitherto untapped areas in marine transport.

The problem of traffic congestion would be sorted out in one to two years, he said, adding that various initiatives of the RTA had started bringing about a visible improvement in the traffic situation. "[The] Traffic situation will improve further once federal legislations are approved in about a year's time," Al Tayer said.

Al Tayer said no decision had been taken as to the cost of the ferry trips since it involved the executive council of the government.

"The cost will be reasonable as we aim to encourage the public to use this transportation method," he said.

The first phase of the project will see the RTA operating 10 ferries covering four main stations at the Gold Souk, Union Square, City Centre and Al Ghubaiba.

The second phase will see ferry services being launched in Dubai Creek extensions once the new bridges are in place. Subsequent phases of the project will see the service providing a link with Dubai Maritime City, the emirate of Sharjah, The Palm islands, The World and The Waterfront.

The project, which is looking at a June 2010 completion date, is expected to ferry around 3 million passengers in the first year.

"Ferry Dubai is the third project envisaged in the strategic plan of the RTA following the [introduction of] water bus and water taxi [services] in addition to renovation of abras. It aims to raise the level of marine transit services rendered by the RTA and thus keep pace with the rapid growth witnessed by Dubai," Al Tayer said.

Six of the 10 ferries slated to launch the service will be ready by October 2009 and the other four will be ready by March 2010.
smussuw no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2008, 10:04 AM   #322
skydive
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

do you know what sort of enjines the ferries will use, hope its not Diesel
skydive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 03:36 PM   #323
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

They will be wind, solar and thermo-geological powered.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 04:03 PM   #324
AltinD
The Modecator

Seriously though, the ferries will carry more then 100 passangers and will be equipped with 2 x 450 HP diesel engines.
I can cheat you blind.

Old October 16th, 2008, 09:15 PM   #325
Chusanch

Likes (Received): 21

I also like the traditional Abras that cross the Creek... Are they going to disappear?
Chusanch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 09:29 PM   #326
X38

Likes (Received): 22

What companies are devolopping all these transport networks? Dubai hasn't got any own engineers. They are taking all their engineers from Europe and the USA.
X38 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 10:36 PM   #327
AltinD
The Modecator

How is that irrelevant?

All that really matters is the fact that they are being build and in RECORD time!
I can cheat you blind.

Old October 17th, 2008, 11:41 PM   #328
X38

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
How is that irrelevant?
It's not irrelevant! This is the Dubai public transport thread, en to build monorails, subways and so on, you need engineers!
So yes, it's relevant. Or is it oblied to follow you in everything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
All that really matters is the fact that they are being build and in RECORD time!
I second that
X38 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 05:17 AM   #329
LoverOfDubai

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chusanch View Post
I also like the traditional Abras that cross the Creek... Are they going to disappear?
I have never heard that.

It is a major part of Dubai's culture. Abras will likely not be discontinued.
LoverOfDubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #330
Chusanch

Good... It would be a shame to see them go...
Chusanch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 12:35 AM   #331
LoverOfDubai

RTA awards tram system contract
By Ashfaq Ahmed, Chief Reporter
19 October 2008, 00:03

Dubai: The Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) has awarded the contract for the 9.5km of the Al Sufouh Tram project in the first phase to a consortium of Alstom and Besix.

Abdul Majid Al Khaja, the Chief Executive Officer of the RTA Rail Agency, said that the Dh3.18-billion project would have 13 stations and a depot and will have multimodal interchange stations to connect the tram with the Red Line of the Metro on Shaikh Zayed Road.

The stations will be near Mall of the Emirates, Dubai Marina and the Jumeirah Lake Towers.

The first phase is scheduled to commence operations on April 11, 2011. It will pass through Dubai Marina/Jumeirah Beach residence, Dubai Media City/Knowledge Village, Madinat Jumeirah, Mall of the Emirates and Burj Al Arab as well as other projects under planning such as Jumeirah Hills. It will be connected to the Palm monorail.

"The tram will not only be an effective solution to ease the traffic congestion but will add as a major tourist attraction in the city," said Al Khaja.

Currently around 19 stations are being planned for the tram system that would eventually cover 14.5km.

The tram system is designed to cater to the commuting needs of around 180,000 residents in the area.

Abdulredha Abu Al Hassan, the Director of Rail Planning and Design Department in the Rail Agency, said: "Each tram measures 44 metres in length and has a capacity to accommodate 305 passengers."
http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles.../10252928.html
Old October 22nd, 2008, 03:32 AM   #332
LoverOfDubai

Nakheel to launch Middle East's first monorail
Agencies
20 October 2008, 17:17

Dubai: Nakheel, Dubai’s master developer, on Monday began site testing for its newly delivered monorail trains on Palm Jumeirah the first monorail service in the Middle East.

High-tech trains arrived from Japan this weekend from leading railway system manufacturer Hitachi Ltd. Two trains were raised on to the 5.45km track on Palm Jumeirah, and are now making initial test journeys, closely monitored by the RTA and operators SMRTE.

“It’s great to see the Palm Monorail trains well and truly on track. Having the first monorail in the Middle East here in the Palm Jumeirah is indicative of Nakheel’s vision, leadership and ambition as a developer. It will ensure we continue to play a critical role in Dubai’s growth as a global centre for tourism, and marks our commitment to creating sustainable transport systems, hand-in-hand with our partners at the RTA,” said Nakheel's Managing Director, Robert Lee.

Tests on the trains will be carried out for the next six months before the monorail is opened to the public in April next year.
http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles.../10253214.html
Old October 22nd, 2008, 07:02 AM   #333
LoverOfDubai

Here is are two photos by Nakheel of the Palm Jumeirah Monorail near the Gateway Station:

Old November 9th, 2008, 12:50 AM   #334
LoverOfDubai

Emaar denies problems on Dubai Tram project
by Jamie on Saturday, 08 November 2008

Emaar Properties' US $20 billion (AED73 billion) Downtown Burj Dubai tram project may be in jeopardy and the company is going through an "across the board belt-tightening exercise," a former top executive has said.

Emaar officials deny the tram system is off the rails, but the company has been in talks with UK-based firm Dutco Balfour Beatty Rail (Dutco BBRail) to install a trolley-bus or a light rail system in the Downtown area as an alternative to the tram, a Dutco official said.

Cuts at Emaar have included job losses, according to the source, who asked not to be identified.

The company has also been hit by spiraling costs across the Downtown Burj Dubai development, said the source who had been close to the project.

In addition, at least one member of the project team for the master-developer's tram system is no longer with the company.

Residents of the Downtown area are already putting pressure on Emaar to resolve transport issues in the development.

"The residents are going to be the people who are up in arms about it and making more of a fuss and they are already putting pressure on people," he said. "Now that the mall is open it (access to and from the Downtown area) is even worse."

"We're looking at how we can help Emaar with some of these problems," Dutco BBRail project director David Bill said. "Rail is a potential. A trolley-bus is also a potential solution to a problem for Emaar. Clearly there is a bit of thinking to do.

"I think the trolley-bus would be quite a good solution but nothing is finalised at this stage," Bill added. He emphasised that no final decision had been made.

An Emaar spokesperson told Construction Week, "The Burj Dubai tram system by Emaar Properties, an integral infrastrucure aspect of the $20 billion Downtown Burj Dubai mega-project, is progressing as planned.

"The tram system not only links the various residential, commercial, mall and hospitality projects within Downtown Burj Dubai to the Dubai Metro, it will also serve as a key access for residents and visitors to commute within the 500-acre master-planned community," the spokesperson added.

The tramway, which was unveiled in April, will include two lines. The first phase will be a 1.1km line linking the Burj Place interchange station to Dubai Mall.

Emaar's "belt-tightening" comes as the industry faces up to the realities of the global financial crisis, with banks reluctant to offer up easy finance and real estate sales expected to dip due to uncertainty among buyers.
http://www.arabianbusiness.com/53729...i-tram-project
Old November 9th, 2008, 09:52 AM   #335
serdar samanlı

Are they also making a tram system?
serdar samanlı no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 09:48 PM   #336
LoverOfDubai

Yes, serdar samanlı.

There is one metro (Dubai Metro) with two lines (Red and Green Lines). The Red Line will open on 9 September 2009 and the Green Line will open in March 2010.

There are two trams. The Downtown Burj Dubai Tram is discussed in the above article. It will be located in the area around the Burj Dubai. The Al Sufouh Tram will run parallel to the coast between the Burj Al Arab and Dubai Marina. You can read about the Al Sufouh Tram in Post 305. Construction of both systems has not yet begun.

There is one monorail. The Palm Jumeirah Monorail is located on the Palm Jumeirah. It will open in April 2009. You can read about it in Post 306 and see some pictures in Post 307.

There are other monorails, trams, and/or metro lines, but I am not familiar with them.
Old November 9th, 2008, 10:21 PM   #337
serdar samanlı

Does Dubai have a heavy-rail station?
Old November 10th, 2008, 01:38 AM   #338
LoverOfDubai

No, there is no heavy rail in the United Arab Emirates. But, there are plans to implement a railway by 2011.

There is a thread for a UAE Railway. Go here to read a recent article about the railway.
Old November 10th, 2008, 08:53 AM   #339
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1176

I thought the Dubai metro was considered heavy rail? Are you talking commuter rail or a metro?
Old November 10th, 2008, 12:23 PM   #340
serdar samanlı

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
I thought the Dubai metro was considered heavy rail? Are you talking commuter rail or a metro?
Commuter and intercity rail

Tags
dubai