daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 10th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #341
heirloom

Likes (Received): 2

what kind of tram project costs 20 billion?
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 10th, 2008, 06:39 PM   #342
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

Likes (Received): 533

where does it say 20 billions for the tram?
smussuw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 06:42 PM   #343
asif iqbal

Likes (Received): 65

i drove past jebal ali and also seen the trams on the tracks for testing
asif iqbal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 06:56 PM   #344
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

hmmm, I never knew that u were in Dubai ...
Old November 10th, 2008, 08:01 PM   #345
heirloom

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoverofDubai
Emaar denies problems on Dubai Tram project
by Jamie on Saturday, 08 November 2008

Emaar Properties' US $20 billion (AED73 billion) Downtown Burj Dubai tram project may be in jeopardy and the company is going through an "across the board belt-tightening exercise," a former top executive has said.
just above
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 08:15 PM   #346
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

thats a mistake, the $20 billions is for the whole Burj Dubai downtown project and not only the tram.
Old November 11th, 2008, 03:38 AM   #347
LoverOfDubai

Likes (Received): 0

It can be argued whether non-mororized modes of transportation are actually considered public transportation. But anyway here is an article about an attempt by the RTA to increase pedestrian activity in Dubai:

Pedestrian network planned in Dubai
By Sunita Menon, Staff Reporter
11 November 2008, 00:11

Javed Nawab of Gulf News
Pedestrians use the exit of an airconditioned pedestrian crossing across the Abu Baker Al Siddiqi Road in Deira.

Nawab of Gulf News
A new airconditioned bridge for pedestrians with escalators is ready for the public at the Abu Baker Al Siddiqi Road in Deira.

Dubai: A short fitness walk through a network of air-conditioned crossings and subways will not only keep diseases at bay but also enable public move around in hot weather depending less on vehicles.

The Dubai Road and Transport Authority will be linking up major buildings through air-conditioned walkways in some areas.

These buildings will also be linked using covered walkways with main roads as well as Dubai Metro stations to increase pedestrian mobility.

"The strategy will minimise the reliance on vehicles for short trips, and accordingly cut short road congestion as well as pollution in the emirate.

"Walking is one of the safe modes of mobility, which has good health benefits. It is also an economical mode of mobility that saves time compared to vehicles, particularly in congested places and during peak times," said Abdul Mohsen Ebrahim Younes, Chief Executive Officer of the RTA's Strategy and Corporate Support Services.

The new arrangement will also bring down the nuisance of jaywalkers whose numbers are on the rise in the Emirate.

Statistics provided by Dubai police in August this year shows some 1,022 jaywalkers have been fined in Dubai from January until the end of July.

Crossings: Many near completion

Currently, pedestrian crossings are under construction at Abu Hail Road, Beirut Road, Umm Suqeim Road, Airport Road, Casablanca Road and Abu Baker Al Siddiqi Road.

More crossings will be built on Emirates Road, Shaikh Zayed Road, Damascus Road, Khalid Bin Al Waleed Road, Salahuddin Road, Baniyas Road, Al Rashid Road, Zabeel Road, Al Wasl Road, Shaikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Road and Al Rabbat Road.

According to the RTA, the Emirate of Dubai showed a 15 per cent drop in fatalities from traffic accidents to 196 cases during the first nine months of 2008 from 231 cases reported during the same period in 2007.

Fatal run-over accidents dropped to 73 cases from 97 during the same period last year.

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles.../10258739.html
LoverOfDubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #348
serdar samanlı

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoverOfDubai View Post
No, there is no heavy rail in the United Arab Emirates. But, there are plans to implement a railway by 2011.

There is a thread for a UAE Railway. Go here to read a recent article about the railway.
Actually, in a country above world's largest oil reserves and everyone has a car, there may not be a need for railways.
serdar samanlı no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 10:40 AM   #349
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by serdar samanlı View Post
Actually, in a country above world's largest oil reserves and everyone has a car, there may not be a need for railways.
That just sounded SO WRONG... I'm sure the Dubai forumers here would rip you apart >__>
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 11:36 PM   #350
skdubai
--

Likes (Received): 227

Quote:
Every country in the world needs railways my friend... highways can only do so much, at some point you need more efficiency!!
skdubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 02:22 AM   #351
LoverOfDubai

Quote:
Like deasine said, your statement is completely flawed.

Just because there is a supply of oil does not mean railways are not needed. The point of rail is to transport a large number of people long distances.
Private cars would be able to do exactly the same thing, but then you would need a road that has the capacity to move all those cars at the same time. Plus, if you consider pollution, traffic, fuel, et cetera, rail would be an ideal choice.

Construction of railroads is not something that happens in direct response to decreased supplies of fuel or increased costs for energy. While such conditions may support railroads, they are almost always created to reduce traffic and provide alternatives modes of transport.

This is exactly what officials in the United Arab Emirates are considering. Roadways around the country cannot constantly be widened to support the country's rising population. As there is more demand to travel across the country, it becomes a wise move to create a railroad so that people can get to their destinations faster and without doing the driving themselves.

serdar samanlı, I hope you reconsider the association between oil supplies and the benefit of railroads in the United Arab Emirates.
If you want to debate the above, please voice your opinion. This is exactly how forums are to be used. But, sadly this thread lacks a lot of discussion that I feel is needed.
Old November 14th, 2008, 03:53 AM   #352
ARailSystemsEngineer

Quote:
I think the inter-emirates railway is intended primarily for freight...

And I think you'll also find that some of the emirates don't have a lot of oil.

Rse
ARailSystemsEngineer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 08:03 PM   #353
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

Like Dubai for example ... however cheap oil or not, a good and reliable public transport is needed, especially if the city grows and develop.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 04:20 AM   #354
LoverOfDubai

Here is a photo and a report about the Palm Jumeirah Monorail:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parisian Girl View Post
[IMG]http://i38.************/28btjlk.jpg[/IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot4dubai View Post
Good news...just saw the Palm Monorail glide past my window....amazing sight...first the fireworks and now the monorail train..Awesome!

Old November 24th, 2008, 12:27 AM   #355
LoverOfDubai

Here are some photos of the testing for the Palm Jumeirah Monorail:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakazoolu View Post
I was driving down the palm and just thought.... coooooooool! Lucky I had my camera!

[IMG]http://i33.************/wjwhkw.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i35.************/ea5ncx.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i37.************/b5gt3r.jpg[/IMG]
Old November 24th, 2008, 12:34 AM   #356
LoverOfDubai

RTA Approves Suppliers of the 1616 Bus Deal
22 November 2008

The Board of Directors of Roads & Transport Authority (RTA) approved 5 of the best bus suppliers worldwide to supply 1616 brand new highly sophisticated buses at a total cost of AED8.6 billion; which goes into history books as the biggest bus procurement deal ever made worldwide.

The CEO of RTA Public Transport Agency Essa Abdul-Rahman Al-Dosari commented on the deal and said: “The design of bus interiors is characterized as roomy, comfortable, sturdy and safe; providing key ingredients for upgrading the quality of service offered by Public Transport Agency to bus commuters in the emirate of Dubai. This has become a standing requirement given the sweeping growth enjoyed by the UAE in general and Dubai in particular, including tourism; which has become a salient feature of Dubai, which has already established itself as a premier business & economic hub in the region and a point of attraction of all investors & businessmen from all parts of the globe.

The new buses, comprising of standard, double-deckers and articulated buses, are of various sizes and designs but all fitted with the highest safety & security features. The onboard modern technologies applications include announcing the next bus stop, a statistical system of bus commuters, a GPS to track buses linked with RTA Control Center, and internal & external display monitors. Upon completion of this deal, the number of buses operating in Dubai is poised to hit 2500 buses by 2009, enabling the widest possible geographical coverage of the emirate of Dubai. They will play a key role in meeting the growing requirements for bus transit service triggered by the demographic growth in the emirate, as well as providing bus feeder service to Dubai Metro stations. This will contribute to raising the number of person trips made by mass transit modes to 30% by 2020 to enhance modal integration in this sector” said Al-Dosari.

Commenting on the advanced features of these buse he said that the new buses would be fitted with highly technological engines (Euro IV) compatible with the highest environmental standards. They are also fitted with the unique I-Shift transmission system and ESP vehicle braking & stability system; rendering driving a comfortable & safe exercise for passengers and a fuel-efficient process.

“RTA will always seek to provide advanced mass transit modes, which are closely linked with the environment and human concerns. The aim is to minimize the number of daily traffic accidents caused by excessive numbers of private vehicles, reduce environmental pollution rates, improve public health levels, and boost the productivity of all spectrums of the community” said Al-Dosari in a final remark.

It is worth-noting that last year RTA invited specialized leading businesses across the world to submit bids for supplying 1616 buses spanning standards, articulated and double-deck buses.
http://www.rta.ae/wpsv5/wps/portal/!...+1616+Bus+Deal
Old November 24th, 2008, 12:57 AM   #357
spongeg

Likes (Received): 1730

Quote:
railways also use oil
spongeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 10:36 AM   #358
serdar samanlı

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongeg View Post
railways also use oil
If you are talking about diesels yes they do but not as much as cars
Old November 24th, 2008, 10:37 AM   #359
serdar samanlı

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
That just sounded SO WRONG... I'm sure the Dubai forumers here would rip you apart >__>
Then why they did not build railways until recently?
Old November 24th, 2008, 08:58 PM   #360
skdubai
--

Likes (Received): 227

because they did not need it... it is only recently that the population in the country increased sufficiently to actually put a strain on the existing infrastructure..
skdubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dubai