daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 12th, 2009, 11:29 PM   #621
harsh1802
MAVerick

Likes (Received): 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imre View Post
10/September/2009

Dubai Metro
[IMG]http://i31.************/2nbxcw0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i27.************/25hh1zs.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i25.************/2dufkvo.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i28.************/2dloweg.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i28.************/2vc7pn6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i29.************/axxrpu.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i27.************/fe01go.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i31.************/14jpwfr.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i32.************/2eullkz.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i25.************/muxyk1.jpg[/IMG]

Hyderabad Cityscapes

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins
harsh1802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2009, 11:30 PM   #622
harsh1802
MAVerick

Quote:
10/September/2009

Dubai Metro
[IMG]http://i31.************/2h70x7a.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i27.************/30hsdc8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i30.************/2ceq9ub.jpg[/IMG]

Dubai Marina and JLT stations

[IMG]http://i32.************/11kxro0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i26.************/o03wr4.jpg[/IMG]

Hyderabad Cityscapes

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins
Old September 12th, 2009, 11:32 PM   #623
harsh1802
MAVerick

Quote:
all of my short videos (HD) here:

Hyderabad Cityscapes

Old September 12th, 2009, 11:33 PM   #624
harsh1802
MAVerick

Fantastic work by IMRE!!!

Hyderabad Cityscapes

Old September 13th, 2009, 01:37 AM   #625
harsh1802
MAVerick

Quote:
[IMG]http://i32.************/24limjc.jpg[/IMG]
What a view!

Hyderabad Cityscapes

Old September 13th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #626
cyborg81
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

thanx heaps Harsh for taking time out to post these spectacular shots by IMRE!
cyborg81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 12:11 PM   #627
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

I took the Metro for a ride (as to speak) yesterday. Overall a nice experience ... and I have to admit that in 10 years living in Dubai, this is the first time I rode the public transport.

PS. Also recorded 2.8GB of HD video
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 02:47 PM   #628
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

Thanks a lot for the pictures! The stations all seem to be very large and modern. The style of the architecture is a little bit too kitschy for my taste though. What I wonder is, why these specific materials were chosen.

In most cities a lot of concrete, brushed metal and simple panels are used for metro stations, because they are sustainable and don't take on dirt so easily (and many metro stations around the world do tend to get dirty). How will Dubai cope with that? Are there employees in all stations? And what about security? Hope someone can answer my questions.
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 02:59 PM   #629
Dubaiiscool:)

Likes (Received): 16

There's about 700 security guards if im not mistaken but theres more information on the Dubai Metro Thread in the U.A.E part of the forum.

Here's a link to the dubai metro thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...2#post43064642
Dubaiiscool:) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 03:29 PM   #630
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheintram View Post
Thanks a lot for the pictures! The stations all seem to be very large and modern. The style of the architecture is a little bit too kitschy for my taste though. What I wonder is, why these specific materials were chosen.

In most cities a lot of concrete, brushed metal and simple panels are used for metro stations, because they are sustainable and don't take on dirt so easily (and many metro stations around the world do tend to get dirty). How will Dubai cope with that? Are there employees in all stations? And what about security? Hope someone can answer my questions.
'underground vs elevated' structures
I can cheat you blind.

Old September 15th, 2009, 02:58 AM   #631
Tomb Raider
Adventurer

Likes (Received): 31

I just wanted to say congratulations guys, such an outstanding project, I'm so proud of you, carry on !
Old September 15th, 2009, 03:08 AM   #632
reda2casa
مغربي مفروح

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raider View Post
I just wanted to say congratulations guys, such an outstanding project, I'm so proud of you, carry on !
The same!
I'm moroccan and proud of dubai.
Old September 15th, 2009, 04:37 PM   #633
AltinD
The Modecator

My criticism from my journey on Sunday:

1. Not enough gates to access/leave the paid areas of the stations
2. Many of the automated ticket machines were broken
3. Metro presentation brochures available only in Arabic (I didn't saw any in English, probably they run out of them)
4. Floor tiling in the platforms was kind of cheap
5. The announcements on the trains: "The next station is (long pouse) Union". It sounded strange. They should say: "The next stop is Union Station"
6. By the time they announce: "Please stay clear of the doors" on both Arabic and English, the platform and train doors are already closed.
7. Not very clear and very small directional signages. For example in the City Center station that has 4 accesses/Exits, it was not written in any of them what exit to take to go there, only 'XYZ Str West' and 'XYZ Str East'. I was lucky to remember well from where I came from.
8. Signs directing people to the Metro Stations on both City Center (Mall) and Mall Of Emirates were really, really tiny and if not familiar with the place one will really struggle to find them.
9. On the stations, on top of the platform doors, were written only the names of the next 2 - 3 stations on that directions and the very last one, not all of them. That was really strange and I can't understand the logic behind that, unless they opted to list only the stations within the same fare zone.

BTW: There was a (false) fire alarm on the underground Khaleed Bin Al Waleed Station that stopped the entire system. First we were stuck 15 minutes on Mall Of Emirates and then 1 hour at Nakheel Harbour & Tower Station. They first said that once they get clear-to-go info, the trains will run till Al Jafilya Station and from there feeder buses will transfer passengers to the other stations, but then they got all-clear and the journey continued as normal.
I can cheat you blind.

Old September 18th, 2009, 03:20 AM   #634
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Dubai's system is so amazing that it surpasses every other metro ever built!
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 11:50 AM   #635
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Are you serious?

It's good... but the best ever?
city_thing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 02:47 PM   #636
AltinD
The Modecator

[IMG]http://i28.************/2ytzd09.jpg[/IMG]
source
I can cheat you blind.

Old September 18th, 2009, 04:46 PM   #637
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
So far it's only one line and it ran for about a week. So your judgement is a little premature.
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 05:46 PM   #638
JustinB

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Whoa, Whoa! Calm down!

It's may be new, but it's a little premature to call it "the best"
JustinB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 03:12 AM   #639
LoverOfDubai

Likes (Received): 0

Before everyone criticizes aquablue, let him/her have an opportunity to explain why the Dubai Metro "surpasses every other metro ever built."

I actually think aquablue is on to something. I understand the the system is very new, but I think it has the potential to be an outstanding system.

Here are some things that quickly come to mind as to what makes the Dubai Metro a great system:
  • the automation of the system means trains can run like clockwork
  • the system can have a minimum headway of 90 seconds
  • the current fare structure is attractive
  • the stations and trains are aesthetically pleasing
  • the RTA's attempts to make the Dubai Metro part of a multi-modal system

But I can also think of negatives:
  • the current hours of service, especially on Friday (I am not too concerned about this because I expect hours to increase over the next few years)
  • the lack of information as to which stations will open and when (also not really an issue considering all stations on both lines should be opened by 2011)
  • the criticisms AltinD listed above
  • there are other things, but they relate to things outside of the RTA's control
LoverOfDubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 05:24 AM   #640
LoverOfDubai

Likes (Received): 0

In addition to my post above, this article provides a great analysis of the errors made by the RTA. I completely agree with what Ashfaq Ahmed has to say (except for saying that there is currently only one useful station).

Dubai Metro, room for improvement
Ashfaq Ahmed, Chief Reporter
18 September 2009
The Dubai Metro is an amazing project designed to provide an efficient mode of alternate transport to ease traffic congestion in the city.

The kind of response the Metro has received from the public since its 'soft launch' is also beyond expectations. The Metro, once fully operational, is definitely going to change the lifestyle in Dubai, which has now joined the league of the world's 'mega metropolises'.

The Metro project was launched in a record time of just four years. But it seems that the Dubai Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) has rushed things somewhat to meet the much publicised target launch date of 09/09/09. The result is that only 30 per cent of the stations - 10 out of 29 - are currently open, reducing the options of commuters. The Metro is currently good for 'joy riders', but not very practical for commuters who might want to use it to go to work.

As expected, residents thronged the trains during the first two days of operation and the Metro was practically paralysed for hours. This left many people infuriated as they had to wait for hours due to intermittent service. Though the RTA blamed the delays on mischievousness, the real reason passengers resorted to pushing emergency buttons was that the platform doors did not open on several occasions.

The Metro operator has faced problems in attempting to synchronise the train doors with the platform doors - something that was evident even during the test run before the official launch.

The excuse that problems arose only because thousands of people crowded the stations during the first few days of the Metro's launch is not acceptable. The RTA and Serco, the Metro's operator, should have been fully prepared. High demand is part and parcel of mass rapid transit systems around the world and should not have caused operational difficulties.

The glitches certainly disappointed many first-time passengers. They came to give the Metro a chance and left with a new appreciation for their vehicles after suffering delays and inconvenience. The choice of stations opened during the first phase of operations is also questionable. Out of the 10 stations opened, only three are located on Shaikh Zayed Road - the busiest road in the emirate. For almost half of the city, including all the new areas, there is only one convenient station in operation - the one at Mall of the Emirates.

A few more stations should have been opened on Shaikh Zayed Road, especially those that are almost ready. Better yet, it would have been more advisable to wait a few more months before launching the Dh28 billion project to ensure trouble-free operations.

Apart from the first couple of days of mad rush on the trains, the RTA is expecting the Metro to carry joy riders during the Eid holidays and for a couple of weeks after that. Then what? It remains to be seen how practical this skeleton service will prove for commuters who hope to use it for their daily trips to work.

The complicated fare system based on zones and Nol Cards has been another stumbling block. It certainly wasn't helpful to implement the unified automated fare collection system on the day of the Metro's launch.

It would have been better if Nol Cards had been introduced on public buses a few months prior to the Metro launch to get passengers used to the new system.

Currently, bus passengers are suffering the most due to out-of-service ticket vending machines at bus stops, which make it impossible for them to top up their cards.

There is a need to launch a comprehensive campaign to educate commuters who travel by bus, rather than just trying to persuade motorists to leave their cars at home.

Even the introduction of the Nol Cards was incomplete. Only silver and gold Nol Cards have been introduced, as well Nol Red Tickets for single journeys. The RTA has failed to introduce monthly travel passes, which are a must for frequent travellers. Similarly, passes for students, senior citizens and people with special needs are also not yet available. All these should have been ready before the Metro launch.

Although there are stations at Terminal 1 and Terminal 3 of Dubai International Airport, the Metro may not be of much use to airline passengers because they are not allowed to carry heavy baggage on the trains. This strict policy makes the two Metro stations at the airport almost redundant.

Another issue is the linking of the Metro with the public buses. The RTA has started 21 feeder bus routes and deployed 200 buses, but passengers are still confused about how to make use of the service. The majority of Metro users are still travelling by car to the stations.

The various modes of public transport should be efficiently integrated so that people choose to leave their cars at home. Spreading awareness is key to achieving the target of 30 per cent of road trips in the emirate being taken on public transport.

Despite all the temporary glitches that the RTA is looking into, it is commendable that Dubai has achieved the dream of having the most modern Metro system in place. In time, this will change the commuting habits of the emirate's residents. The Dubai Government is known for its ability to smooth out any wrinkles in the early stages of its projects and has always excelled.

Since the Metro is crucial for the growth of Dubai and its socioeconomic, measures need to be taken to win the confidence of its existing passengers as well as attract new ones. The availability of a reliable, efficient and punctual transport system would serve to reduce traffic congestion in the city.

The RTA faces a big challenge in operating and maintaining the Metro system efficiently, thereby making it a success. Only then will it achieve its aim of providing 'a smooth transport system for everybody'.

In introducing one of the most advanced mass rapid transit systems in the world, the Dubai Roads and Transport Authority has taken a massive step towards revolutionising public transport in the emirate. That everything has not gone exactly as planned is only to be expected with such an ambitious undertaking. Given time, the RTA will no doubt deliver a Metro that the country can be proud of.
http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles.../10350118.html
LoverOfDubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dubai