daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 28th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #661
cyborg81
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

thank you Harsh for making the effort to post the pics,beautiful indeed i will be in Dubai next Jan,can't wait to see it!
cyborg81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2009, 10:15 PM   #662
garcia.calavera

Likes (Received): 779

fantastic imre, any pics from the airport station? last time i was there there was a sign on the door that was supose to go to the metro and it said something like "sorry for incomvenience the metro is under construction" always wondered how it would be like to go trough that a door and take a train to downtown on a stress free journey
ps:any ideea when the other station are going to open, especialy around JLT and marina
garcia.calavera no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 10:19 PM   #663
skdubai
--

Likes (Received): 227

well one unusual (but understandable) rule is that you cannot carry luggage onto the train, which kinda defeats the purpose of having a station at the airport.

As for the other stations, most of them look reasonably done, so I am guessing most of them should be open before the end of the year
skdubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 11:41 PM   #664
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

Likes (Received): 533

yea, I don't know why spending that much building two metro stations when the majority won't be able to use it.
smussuw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:16 AM   #665
Chavito

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh1802 View Post

[IMG]http://i35.************/21osowp.jpg[/IMG]
What is this?

Thanks for the pictures. It is incredible this metro!
Chavito no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:39 AM   #666
LoverOfDubai

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcia.calavera View Post
ps:any ideea when the other station are going to open, especialy around JLT and marina
The RTA has not set any schedule as to the opening of any more stations. All we know is that the rest of the Red Line should be open by February and the Green Line should be open by June (or was it July?).

But they did say that when they open more stations, it will be several at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdubai View Post
well one unusual (but understandable) rule is that you cannot carry luggage onto the train, which kinda defeats the purpose of having a station at the airport.
I agree. Having a station at the airport means people should be allowed to carry luggage onboard. I understand the desire to keep huge suitcases off the Dubai Metro, but normal-sized luggage should be allowed. Otherwise, like you said, the stations are useless.

Another prohibition I disagree with is not being allowed to drink on the trains. I think people should be allowed to at least drink water (as long as it is in a sealed container). Water does not stain or smell, and it is something our bodies need. If there was an exception to the 'no drinks' rule, it should be for water only.
LoverOfDubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #667
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

As anywhere in Dubai where "No food & drinks allowed" signs hang, water bottles were never forbitten, so I guess they'll do the same at the Metro too.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 11:42 PM   #668
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Those are metro stations?! They look more like shopping centres or something similar.
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 05:22 AM   #669
LoverOfDubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
As anywhere in Dubai where "No food & drinks allowed" signs hang, water bottles were never forbitten, so I guess they'll do the same at the Metro too.
Thanks. I was not sure how strict the "no drinks" rule was.
Old September 30th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #670
Get Smart
BANNED

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheintram View Post
Thanks a lot for the pictures! The stations all seem to be very large and modern. The style of the architecture is a little bit too kitschy for my taste though. What I wonder is, why these specific materials were chosen.

In most cities a lot of concrete, brushed metal and simple panels are used for metro stations, because they are sustainable and don't take on dirt so easily (and many metro stations around the world do tend to get dirty). How will Dubai cope with that? Are there employees in all stations? And what about security? Hope someone can answer my questions.
coming from a person who thinks London Underground is excellent, when i see the pictures of Dubai Metro i can only wish we had such nice stations in London
Get Smart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 11:03 PM   #671
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

I hope they've used quality materials. Otherwise it won't look so good in 15 years. But who knows, maybe they will be refurbishing it slightly in 15 years already
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 11:04 AM   #672
stevevance
Steven Vance

Likes (Received): 6

Does anyone have any photos of the bicycle parking at the Metro stations?
A bicycle parking manufacturer in Minnesota, United States, designed and built the bike racks for the Dubai RTA.
Dero wrote about this on their blog:
http://www.dero.com/blog/?p=267
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:51 PM   #673
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

At which time of the day were these pictures taken? All the stations and trains look empty. Is there any ridership data available?

Again, I'm amazed how shiny and clean everything is (of course it's new but still). I just wonder whether that's practical. It probably costs a lot to maintain it - or is it just because it is hardly used?
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:52 PM   #674
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 202

Looking great!
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:38 AM   #675
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
At which time of the day were these pictures taken? All the stations and trains look empty. Is there any ridership data available?

Again, I'm amazed how shiny and clean everything is (of course it's new but still). I just wonder whether that's practical. It probably costs a lot to maintain it - or is it just because it is hardly used?
At the moment the average numbers are 48-49,000 people during the week days and almost double during the weekend. However you have to consider that the line is open only partially and none of the stations serving the areas where in each tens of thousands of people are employed, are open yet.
I can cheat you blind.

Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:54 AM   #676
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5964

One should not be too harsh. That system has just been introduced to a very car centric city and its still partially in construction. Give it some time.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:56 AM   #677
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Interesting how it's double during the weekends... I'm guessing a lot of people are still trying out the new line.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:03 PM   #678
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5964

Oh I completely forgot to congratulate you for one of the best looking metros in the world. Maybe even the best looking contemporary metro in the world. I hope its also a success.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:50 PM   #679
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Interesting how it's double during the weekends... I'm guessing a lot of people are still trying out the new line.
Not really.

The system comprises of 2 Lines. At the moment is partially open only 1 Line (Red) running only about 80% of the length and with only 10 out of 29 stations operational. As I also stated earlier, the parts of the city where most of the people work are not yet served by the Metro, either because the respective stations aren't completed, or the 2nd Line (Green) has yet to open.

The reason why there's double traffic in the weekends is because most of the leisure activities here are centered around or inside the shopping centers and the 5 biggest of them are all served by the Metro, 3 with their dedicated stations, and 2 with dedicated feeder buses from the nearest operating Metro station, till the dedicated ones will open later this year or early the next.

As of now it is still a soft opening to get the thing running and tested and staff trained. This would explain why at the moment they left out the most prominent and potentially busiest areas at the end of the Red Line.
I can cheat you blind.

Old October 3rd, 2009, 01:39 AM   #680
LoverOfDubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevevance View Post
Does anyone have any photos of the bicycle parking at the Metro stations?
A bicycle parking manufacturer in Minnesota, United States, designed and built the bike racks for the Dubai RTA.
Dero wrote about this on their blog:
http://www.dero.com/blog/?p=267
This does not really answer your question, but I thought you would be interested to read it.

Bike plus Metro makes the commute a breeze
Eugene Harnan
2 October 2009 10:15PM UAE
Marcus Schodorf says his new commute to work has one big advantage over his old routine: Its not as sticky.

Before the Metro, a bicycle was Mr Schodorfs normal means of transport. He would ride daily from his home near the Burj Dubai to his workplace in the Burjuman business centre.

Now, however, the American engineer has combined the railway with a new folding bike to ease his commute.

His new routine: a quick ride on his Brompton bike to the Financial Centre Station, where he performs a nifty manoeuvre to fold up the bike before hopping a train to the Khalid bin Al Waleed station, then another brief bike ride to his office.

He said it takes about the same amount of time as riding the whole way on a traditional bicycle.

If I use the Metro, I have to get to the station, fold up the bike and wait a maximum of 10 minutes for the train, he said.

The only bicycles allowed on the Metro are the folding kind, and security had no problem letting Mr Schodorf through the gates with his bike.

Its light enough to carry up and down the stairs, but to carry for longer periods of time it can get a lot heavier, he said. The bike weighs about 12kg.

The wheels are 40cm in diameter, smaller than a conventional push bike.

I can still go pretty fast and can still beat the lights, and of course weave my way through the traffic, he said.

Outside his office, curious bystanders watched Mr Schodorf fold up his bike in seconds. It can fold up pretty fast, but it always gets an audience here, he said.

When he lived in New York and London, Mr Schodorf said, a bicycle was his only form of transport. As the weather cools in Dubai, he hopes more people to start cycling around the city.
http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....710029793/1139

Quote:
Is there any ridership data available?
Its rush hour but youll get a seat
Eugene Harnan
3 October 2009 12:13AM UAE
While it does not yet match the frantic pace of the London Tube or New York Subway, a morning rush-hour commute appears to be developing on the Dubai Metro.

From 6am, men and women in suits can be seen on station platforms along the Red Line, laptops and newspapers tucked under their arms, ready to board the first trains of the day. Carriages are often filled with commuters listening to iPods, working on laptops, reading books or just taking in the view. By 8am, there is often standing room only.

Its just like home but at least I have more chance of getting a seat, said David Sherry, 28, from London. I can read my book and check my mails on the BlackBerry.

A veteran of the London Underground, Mr Sherry has been able to recapture some of his past commuting habits.

Before the Metro opened, he said, I was stressed out when I drove down Sheikh Zayed Road. Sometimes its hell, but here on the train I find a seat, plug in my iPod and read. I dont have to circle the office for 20 minutes looking for parking, either. Once I get off at the station, I buy a coffee and get to my desk fully relaxed.

Lawrence Durren, a 28-year-old engineer from Australia, said he used commuting time to check e-mails and read papers online.

I used to do that in the office and spend half an hour doing so, he said. Now I pay Dh20 for three hours of internet access, so its good value.

In trying to clear congestion on major highways across the city, the RTA is offering not only a ride on the train but also an entire portfolio of feeder services, including taxis and buses.

It has boasted that every resident eventually will be within 500 metres of a bus that feeds a Metro station.

To date, however, only 10 of the 29 stations are open, and only 25 of the eventual 41 feeder routes operational. By next April, 518 buses are scheduled to be operating on feeder routes.

Transport chiefs hope to increase the number of public transport users from six per cent to 20 per cent by 2020 by targeting people such as Mohammad Saadawi, a Lebanese sales assistant in the Burjuman shopping centre.

I have to walk across a dusty patch of sand to get a bus stop, Mr Saadawi, 27, said while looking down at his sandy shoes. I used to take two buses to get to work, but now a bus and the Metro gets me to the shop.

Or like Ahmed Rivzi, 36, a sales executive from Lebanon who lived in the UK for three years.

It is just like London, Mr Rivizi said. So many different nationalities all riding the same train. It is interesting to the watch people who get on. Some look like theyve been doing it for years, while others look like its their first time on a Metro. Maybe it is.

Jonathan Wilbur, 31, is one Dubai resident for whom there is little novelty.

I grew up in New York, said the finance industry professional, so its a part of life to get to work by the Metro. Driving was such a pain here.

After just 16 days of operation, the Dubai Metro has carried more than one million passengers. During the first two working days after Eid, nearly 5,000 people used the Metro between 6am and 9am.

On September 23, 4,788 people took the Metro during the morning rush hour, with nearly 600 embarking at Al Rashidya station, which has parking for nearly 3,000 cars to accommodate commuters from Sharjah. At the opposite end of the 41km Red Line, 331 commuters used Nakheel Harbour and Tower Station on that day. Union station was the busiest, with 1,046 passengers, and Financial Centre the quietest, with 181.

I saw the queues at the weekend in Mall of the Emirates, but it is nothing like that in the mornings, said Noura Salaman, an events manager from Lebanon. I park my car at Nakheel Harbour and Tower Station and take it three stops to Financial Centre.
http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....710029795/1139

Tags
dubai