daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 1st, 2015, 05:26 PM   #841
Ashis Mitra

Likes (Received): 1142

Not necessary. Buenos Aires & Istanbul - has different touristic & modern tram system, the later is for public transport. Dubai already has a great tram network, so this Double Decker should be retained as its old style where as wireless tram should be state of the art.

dimlys1994 liked this post
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2015, 10:55 PM   #842
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

I don't know about Buenos Aires, but Istanbul is a legitimate hold-over from the original 19th-Century tram system. It is NOT newly built, and it DOES serve a modest transportation purpose (it runs in a line from point A to point B).

Dubai, on the other hand, is building something from scratch. Therefore, it should be paying attention to modern needs.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 01:40 PM   #843
Ashis Mitra

Not original tram in Istanbul. All original pre 1966 trams were scrapped. The nostalgic trams you see in European & Asian Side of Istanbul all are replica tram, completely newly built body, but same as those old trams.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 12:20 AM   #844
xanterra

Likes (Received): 2234

No those Nostalgic ones are really old. They Found them in old depots and brought also some from Germany(old GDR Trolley from Jena). There is a Railway Museum with some in a Exhibition and some reserved to serve if needed (in Kadiköy).

And yes, most of the newer routes don't follow the old paths. Only the two Nostalgic ones follow a tiny stretch of the original route (a pitty, the old lines Covered a lot of the City).

But like everywhere they got replaced by Busses, Trolleybusses in the Sixties. A few years later the Asian side followed (1961 Europ. Side, 1966 Asian Side. in total 56 Lines stopped service). After 24 years the first nostalgic one get in Service between Taksim Square and Tunnel (Funicular, 2nd oldest Metro if counted as one).

Ashis Mitra liked this post

Last edited by xanterra; June 3rd, 2015 at 03:34 AM.
xanterra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2015, 02:59 PM   #845
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26126

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=539

RATP targets UAE transit through JV
Friday, June 12, 2015

RATP Group subsidiary RATP Dev has signed an agreement with Zain Capital, which is part of the Lakhraim Business Group, to establish a joint venture that will target some of the United Arab Emirates' largest transport and urban planning projects

The joint venture will initially focus on a bid for Abu Dhabi and Al Ain's bus network operations contract while the group is also eyeing a bid for Abu Dhabi's upcoming metro and light rail projects which are being developed by the Abu Dhabi Department of Transport. RATP Dev is also in discussion with the Dubai's Roads and Transport Authority to enhance Dubai's bus network

dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2015, 08:17 PM   #846
I(L)WTC
Cono Sur ♥

Likes (Received): 8759

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashis Mitra View Post
Not necessary. Buenos Aires & Istanbul - has different touristic & modern tram system, the later is for public transport. Dubai already has a great tram network, so this Double Decker should be retained as its old style where as wireless tram should be state of the art.
The tramway of Buenos Aires (Tranvia del Este not Pre-Metro) are closed because the economic losses (Connected nothing with nothing ) and will be dismantled for the construction ribereña subway highway in 2016.

GRIDO Emblema de la decada ganada

I(L)WTC liked this post

I(L)WTC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2015, 08:49 PM   #847
JuaanAcosta
Juan Acosta

Likes (Received): 475

maybe he was talking about the Tren de la Costa.
JuaanAcosta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2015, 08:32 AM   #848
Ashis Mitra

Quote:
Originally Posted by I(L)WTC View Post
The tramway of Buenos Aires (Tranvia del Este not Pre-Metro) are closed because the economic losses (Connected nothing with nothing ) and will be dismantled for the construction ribereña subway highway in 2016.
I know Tranvia Del Este has closed, but premetro is also a tram system, It is called pre-metro because it acts as a feeter service of metro line E.

I(L)WTC liked this post
Old June 20th, 2015, 08:34 AM   #849
Ashis Mitra

After waiting long decades, at last metro is now opened in Salvador.

Dubai has 2.1 million population, so metro was a must need for this city. It has two routes –

Red line is longer, and mainly connects north & south
Green line is shorter, and a C chaped line.

Both line uses driverless metros. But here the question arrives. Why they choose such system? Although a major expences for driver and guard is continuously saving, but such rolling stocks are much costlier. It requers a very advenced technology, and 100% dependency upon computer. So if it will fail, the entire metro network will be standstill. In near past, it happened more than one time. We all know machine could not be 100% perfect.

I suggest, in case of future lines, standard man-driven rolling stocks should be introduced.

Last edited by Ashis Mitra; June 21st, 2015 at 07:10 AM.
Old June 20th, 2015, 05:13 PM   #850
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

By the way, YouTube member Japan Train Viewing recently visited Dubai and produced these outstanding front and rear cab view videos:

Dubai Metro Red Line from Rashidiya to Jebel Ali (front view):

Dubai Tram from Dubai Marina to Al Sufouh (front view):

Dubai Palm Monorail from Atlantis-Adventure to Palm Gateway (rear view):

Dubai Metro Green Line from Etisalat to Creek (front view):

dimlys1994, Nexis, mrsmartman liked this post
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 07:13 AM   #851
Ashis Mitra

1) Left side, right side or both sides, - which type of platforms are in most numbers in Dubai subway network?
2) Which is the highest & deepest station of Dubai metro?
3) Which is the busiest metro station?
4) Where is/are the depot(s) of the subway network?
Old June 21st, 2015, 11:03 AM   #852
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Both line uses driverless metros. But here the question arrives. Why they choose such system? Although a major expences for driver and guard is continuously saving, but such rolling stocks are much costlier. It requers a very advenced technology, and 100% dependency upon computer. So if it will fail, the entire metro network will be standstill. In near past, it happened more than one time. We all know machine could not be 100% perfect.

I suggest, in case of future lines, standard man-driven rolling stocks should be introduced.
I don't know the thinking behind this particular case, but in principle the other reason besides saving on labour costs is that driverless metro's can achieve higher service frequencies safely than those with human drivers.

Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 04:18 PM   #853
Ashis Mitra

When everywhere in world we are saying about classless society, Dubai surpsingly maintains different classes in both metro & tram. Gold class for rich people and Siver class for ordinary people, but why? This is a very narrow mindedness. It is a pulic transport, and people who are rich, they will afford taxi, not metro or tram. Both these are for common people. Classification causes division in society. Infact my city Kolkata has already abolished classification on its tram, and no classification anywhere in metros of India.

I strictly oppose it, it is better to declassify, abandone the gold class, and there should be a simple single class. It is gentle.
Old June 21st, 2015, 04:59 PM   #854
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26126

Quote:
When everywhere in world we are saying about classless society, Dubai surpsingly maintains different classes in both metro & tram. Gold class for rich people and Siver class for ordinary people, but why? This is a very narrow mindedness. It is a pulic transport, and people who are rich, they will afford taxi, not metro or tram. Both these are for common people. Classification causes division in society. Infact my city Kolkata has already abolished classification on its tram, and no classification anywhere in metros of India. I strictly oppose it, it is better to declassify, abandone the gold class, and there should be a simple single class. It is gentle.
Dubai has separate carriages for women, same I can say about women-only carriages in Japanese metro systems (and only during peak times)

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 06:28 PM   #855
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

The richer parts of the Middle East in not exactly a classless society. Surely you know that...

In metro's it is unusual and I think not found anywhere in Europe, but in trains two classes exist in most systems. As far as I know India has even more classes in their trains.

Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 08:35 PM   #856
Tramwayman
Trams the Best!!!

Likes (Received): 528

About trams

Allow me to say one big truth, new system, perfect rails, perfect trams but extremely slow system! It is completely segregated but the speed limit is 50 km/h which is attained only on several points. Mostly it runs only 30-40 km/h. While for example in Europe even in worth track conditions trams run a lot faster and on non even segregated tracks! Shame on Dubai new tram system which is quite slow boring and useless. Complete loss of potential which should have a modern tram system. They run very slow on switches and joints, why? this track parts are adopted for higher speeds, no need to slow down so much. Well Dubai headquarters, go in Europe see how trams run fast.

R.masoudi, Ashis Mitra, dimlys1994 liked this post
Tramwayman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 06:20 PM   #857
Ashis Mitra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
The richer parts of the Middle East in not exactly a classless society. Surely you know that...

In metro's it is unusual and I think not found anywhere in Europe, but in trains two classes exist in most systems. As far as I know India has even more classes in their trains.
I spoke about tram & metro, these should be classless. Yes, in India, mainline trains has average 3 or 4 classes, but the suburban rail systems are again classless (although there are separate coaches for women & vendors).
Old June 23rd, 2015, 09:53 AM   #858
stevefam
Steve

Likes (Received): 186

Transformation of Dubai transportation

Without a doubt, these luxurious, fast and impeccable Metros really helps out the Dubai people and solved their problems. They are cheap and almost accessible to every corner of the city.

I'd love to know, when the government extend this project to Sharjah. People are in deep pain who travel on daily basis from Sharjah to Dubai.
stevefam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2015, 10:22 AM   #859
ScuderiaVincero
Resident racing fanatic

Likes (Received): 904

I'm pretty happy the Dubai Metro isn't classless. Else I wouldn't have been able to get a seat on my journey to the airport (I was making a short stop in Dubai on the way to Geneva). Anyone with the need (like the elderly) and the means would certainly appreciate it as well.
georgiaame
Will Etihad do a bacon sandwich for that price? I didn't think so.

tullamarine I don't think Etihad (or Emirates for that matter) will do a bacon sandwich at any price!!! Qantas customers on Sydney/Melbourne-London lost bacon from the breakfast menu following the Emirates alliance.

BaconButty I finally understand the true horrors of globalization.
ScuderiaVincero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 01:54 AM   #860
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Designated special needs accommodations are perfectly fine. Premium service at extra fare is not generally the norm on Metro services.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dubai