daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 24th, 2015, 03:03 AM   #861
ScuderiaVincero
Resident racing fanatic

Likes (Received): 904

Indeed, it isn't the norm. But for a metro linked to an airport (with no airport specific services), I thought it made sense

It's hard to explain it, but I see it in the same way as I see the Airport Express Line in Hong Kong. But rather than just 3 urban-area stations, we have the entire line linked seamlessly to the airport.

I'll contrast this approach to the more conventional arrangements we see in Singapore and London. Singapore's East West Line and London's Piccadilly Line are linked to Changi and Heathrow respectively with no premium service carriages (the latter having Terminal specific services too). I wasn't suffering through the journey, but mind you, it wasn't as comfortable as it could be either. A little awkward having two suitcases in a train packed with rush-hour commuters
georgiaame
Will Etihad do a bacon sandwich for that price? I didn't think so.

tullamarine I don't think Etihad (or Emirates for that matter) will do a bacon sandwich at any price!!! Qantas customers on Sydney/Melbourne-London lost bacon from the breakfast menu following the Emirates alliance.

BaconButty I finally understand the true horrors of globalization.
ScuderiaVincero no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2015, 03:40 AM   #862
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

London does have the Heathrow Express and Heathrow Connect services.

But yes, I CAN admit to seeing some value in a separate premium airport service.

The problem is that Dubai is planning another route JUST for such a service. So these carriages make less sense.

And they have premium seats on the TRAMS. Those don't go near the airport at all. What's the point?
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 06:43 AM   #863
ScuderiaVincero
Resident racing fanatic

Likes (Received): 904

Perhaps an effort at encouraging more of the local populace to take public transport? It is indeed an anomaly
georgiaame
Will Etihad do a bacon sandwich for that price? I didn't think so.

tullamarine I don't think Etihad (or Emirates for that matter) will do a bacon sandwich at any price!!! Qantas customers on Sydney/Melbourne-London lost bacon from the breakfast menu following the Emirates alliance.

BaconButty I finally understand the true horrors of globalization.
ScuderiaVincero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2015, 12:32 AM   #864
Ashis Mitra

Likes (Received): 1144

Dubai perhaps the least congested city in the world which has both tram & metro. It has only 525 people per square kilometre, so one of the free city in world. So this place is ideal for tram service.

Here the entire tram network uses 3rd rail, but as APS, so no question of electroluce. Althought it is still much costlier, and so very few tram system uses it, but I think it is the best techenique, because no question for overhead wire torning, and so more aesthetic, no more eyesore. I suggest in future this technique should be widespread.

Dubai has very little pressure of population, and there is no question of traffic congestion on road. So in future new tram routes should be introduced more and more to cover up the entire city aea.

But I think AC tram and AC stops are not practical, because the outside weather is not AC, so it will be harmful to health to getting in AC and out in very hot weather.
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2015, 07:30 PM   #865
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17038

Visit the New Jersey Section

dimlys1994 liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2015, 07:47 PM   #866
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5964

I've never been to Dubai so I was really suprised to see so much street life going on during the middle of the day it seems. It also looks like this neighbourhood is inhabited mostly by non-muslim foreigners. Is this a wrong impression?

The whole neighbourhood looks stunning of course.

Last but not least: There are cyclists in Dubai? Wow.
Old September 6th, 2015, 03:03 PM   #867
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Dubai Tram

Dubai Tram Station
by Steffen Ramsaier, on Flickr

dimlys1994, shashpant liked this post
Old September 26th, 2015, 08:15 AM   #868
Nexis
Dark Wolf

A look inside the Dubai Tram Depot

dimlys1994, phoenixboi08 liked this post
Old October 17th, 2015, 03:29 PM   #869
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 52124

good traffic connection by Werner Böhm, on Flickr

good traffic connection by Werner Böhm, on Flickr

The Dubai Metro
is a driverless, fully automated metro rail network in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

The Red Line and Green Line are operational, with three further lines planned.

These first two lines run underground in the city centre and on elevated viaducts elsewhere (elevated railway).

All trains and stations are air conditioned with platform edge doors to make this possible.
@Wikipedia

dimlys1994, Zaz965 liked this post
Oasis-Bangkok está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2015, 02:44 AM   #870
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 52124

Dubai Metro Stop by Atheer Mahir, on Flickr

Metro stop - Dubai by Atheer Mahir, on Flickr

2992-20111022222424-_MG_2260-ADMSLC111412-Edit-Original -5162 x 3428-4- by Atheer Mahir, on Flickr

dimlys1994, Zaz965, mrsmartman liked this post
Oasis-Bangkok está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2016, 01:47 PM   #871
Kenkir

Likes (Received): 0

Air-conditioned pedestrian crossings and pedways linking major buildings? This city surprises with its development.
Kenkir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2016, 05:46 PM   #872
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 804

Here are a couple videos of the Dubai Monorail on the Palm Islands in Dubai. I was there in January and really enjoyed riding the trains and seeing the sights of Dubai!

dimlys1994, campineiro1 liked this post
lkstrknb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2016, 04:14 PM   #873
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 804

This is a time-lapse cab view video of the whole Green Line.

dimlys1994, Usman ali liked this post
lkstrknb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2016, 11:04 AM   #874
stacer

Likes (Received): 11

Emirati taxi plate licensees have been granted more than $9 million (AED33.28 million) in bonuses, 25 percent more than last year, according to state news agency WAM.

With 6656 licensees, each will receive an average of $1360 (AED5000).
The bonuses, awarded by Dubai Ruler Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, were to help licensees, who earn a fixed income from taxi plates, better cope with increased living costs, Roads and Transport Authority director general Mattar Al Tayer said.
stacer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 03:06 PM   #875
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/u...-contract.html

Expolink wins Dubai metro Expo extension contract
29 Jun 2016

UAE: Ruler of Dubai Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum has approved the selection of the Expolink consortium for a 10·6bn dirham contract to build the Route 2020 branch of the metro Red Line to serve the Expo 2020 site.

The Expolink consortium is led by Alstom, and includes Acciona of Spain and Gülermak of Turkey. Thales will provide railway systems

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

geometarkv liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2016, 01:36 PM   #876
ramakrishna1984

Likes (Received): 788

Yes.. Alstom-led Expolink Consortium has secured a AED10.6bn ($2.8bn) contract from Dubai's Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) for the 15km extension of the Red Line of the Dubai Metro. The consortium also comprises Spanish firm Acciona and Turkish construction company Gulermak.

Work will include line extensions from Nakheel Harbour and Tower to the Expo 2020's location. The Route 2020 project covers an 11.8km route above ground level, 3.2km below ground level, and seven stations, which include three elevated stations and two underground stations. Construction will begin later this year with plans to begin operations in 2020, five months ahead of the opening of the Expo 2020. The trial run on the line will be conducted in 2019.

The contract requires Alstom to supply 50 trains, with 15 for the Expo line and 35 for the development of the service at the Dubai Metro. French firm Thales will provide technological systems, while Acciona and Gulermack will carry out civil work on the project.

Anticipated capacity of Route 2020 is 46,000 passengers per hour in both directions, with ridership on ?the project expected to reach 125,000 per day. This number is expected to increase by to 275,000 per day by 2030. Studies conducted by the RTA revealed that 35,000 riders will use the Expo station per day during weekdays and 47,000 on weekends.

ramakrishna1984 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2016, 10:16 AM   #877
subbotazh

Likes (Received): 325

Burj Al Arab to Mall of the Emirates: Dubai Tram Phase 2 getting on track
RTA issues tender for consultants to study feasibility of new phases

Dubai’s Road and Transport Authority is seeking consultants to undertake the feasibility study for launching new phases of Dubai Tram, informed sources told Emirates 24|7.

“The authority has issued a tender for consultants to study the feasibility of Phase 2 and 3 of the tram,” the sources said on conditions of anonymity.

Phase 2 will take riders across to tourist destinations such as Burj Al Arab, Madinat Jumeirah and Mall of the Emirates.

Phase 3 will extend along Jumeirah Beach Road to 2nd December Street.

When contacted, the RTA said it would respond when it has updates.

In April 2016, this website reported that the Dubai Tram, used by 1.3 million riders in the first quarter 2016 alone, is going to get an expansion.

“Dubai Tram is also set to grow with Phase 2 of the project. The success of current tram has encouraged us to look into extending the line up to 5 kilometres covering more iconic destinations,” Abdul Mohsen Ibrahim Younes, CEO of Road and Transport Authority’s (RTA) Rail Agency had told Emirates 24|7.

Officially inaugurated on November 11, 2014, the Dubai Tram has 11 stations, serving over a distance of almost 11 kilometres through a fleet of 11 trams.

Metro Green Line expansion

Meanwhile, nearly 50 million people journeyed aboard the Dubai Metro in the first quarter 2016.

The RTA is also looking at extending the Green Line from the existing Al Jaddaf station to Academic City, adding a rail line of 20.6 kilometre and 11 stations both underground and above ground.

This extension will serve urban developments such as Ras Al Khor industrial area, International City and Silicon Oasis.

The existing Green Line Metro has 18 stations of which 12 are elevated and six underground. Union Square and Khalid Bin Al Waleed underground stations are transfer stations where the Green and Red Lines junctions.

In June 2016, the authority awarded the contract for the Route 2020 – the extension of Metro Red Line to Expo 2020 site – to Expolink Consortium led by France's Alstom, Spain's Acciona, and Turkey's Gulermack.

http://www.emirates247.com/news/emir...08-03-1.637752

subbotazh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2016, 10:54 AM   #878
subbotazh

Likes (Received): 325

16% of Dubai residents will use public transport by the end of this year

Saturday, Jul 30, 2016

Dubai: The share of Dubai’s mass transit systems as a means of mobility is on track to hit 16 per cent this year as the ridership of metro and buses continues to soar, the Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) announced on Saturday.

RTA aims to make public transport the preferred mobility choice of Dubai residents through continuous expansion of the mass transit network.

The share of public transport as the means of mobility in the city soared to 15 per cent last year, up from six per cent in 2006. The share is well on track to reach 16 per cent this year.

By 2030, RTA expects 30 per cent of Dubai residents to use public transport for their daily travel.

In the first half of this year, 273,452,791 people used public transport, up from 271,302,000 riders registered during the same period last year.

The number includes all modes of transport, including Dubai Metro, Dubai Tram, Dubai bus, marine transit modes and taxis, said Mattar Al Tayer, director-general and chairman of the Board of Executive Directors of RTA.

“The number of Dubai Metro commuters, using both the Red and Green lines, has increased considerably during the first six months of 2016 to reach 96,486,495 riders compared with 88,252,034 riders during the same period last year,” he revealed

The Red Line recorded a ridership of 61,204,743 from January to June this year, compared with 55,783,626 riders reported during the same period last year.

The ridership of the Green Line has also jumped from 32,468,408 riders in the first six months of 2015 to 35,281,752 in the first six months of this year. However, the ridership of Dubai Tram has dropped slightly, with 2,535,429 riders using Dubai Tram in the first half of 2016 compared with 2,552,756 riders last year.

Public buses have served 69,922,328 riders in the first six months of this year.

Urban bus services have accounted for the largest share of bus ridership, recording 44,835,999 riders, followed by metro feeder services that were used by 16,434,997 riders, and the intercity bus service, which lifted 5,566,279 riders.

A total of 3,085,000 riders used the rented bus service provided to public and private entities.

The marine transit means, comprising abra, water bus, water taxi and Dubai Ferry, carried 7,140,858 riders during the first half of this year.

A total of 6,714,884 riders used abras, the waterbus served 324,921 riders, Dubai Ferry carried 74,330 riders, and the water taxi served 26,723 riders.

Taxis operating in Dubai made 48,683,977 trips during the first half of this year, lifting 97,367,954 passengers, said Al Tayer.

http://www.zawya.com/mena/en/story/GN_30072016_310736/

subbotazh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2016, 02:15 PM   #879
dimlys1994

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=539

Dubai launches Expo Route 2020 construction
Tuesday, September 06, 2016

CROWN Prince of Dubai Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed laid a foundation stone on September 5 to officially launch construction on the Route 2020 metro link to the site of Expo 2020

The 15km line will branch off the Dubai metro Red Line at Nakheel Habour and Tower station to serve Discovery Gardens, Al Furjan, Jumeirah Golf Estates, and Dubai Investments Park before terminating at the Expo site in Jebel Ali. The journey time from Dubai Marina to the Expo station will be 16 minutes

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
Old September 7th, 2016, 04:07 PM   #880
dimlys1994

Map of future extension:
http://www.thenational.ae/uae/transp...egin-this-year

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

Tags