daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 18th, 2008, 11:10 AM   #81
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesMetroBoy View Post
For a city like dubai, hellbent on showing up the rest of the world, wouldent you think they could come up with somehting cooler than a light rail system. I would think a monorail or a rolls ryoce tracked thingy.

Who knows. Maybe the rails will be gold and platinum plated. The rest of this city is gaudy like that.
A monorail doesnt actually carry big loads and most have crappy designs and the system itself isnt really sturdy.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 18th, 2008, 11:47 AM   #82
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

When is it supposed to open?
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 02:42 PM   #83
tampasteve

Likes (Received): 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergcerebrates View Post
A monorail doesnt actually carry big loads
Generally true.

Quote:
most have crappy designs
Design is subjective. I have seen some really ugly LR train sets too. Generally I have found monorail to be fine looking, IMO.

Quote:
the system itself isnt really sturdy.
In most cases the system is as sturdy as any elevated LR guideway. If you mean it is not sturdy because it is elevated, well that is partly true, a at grade track is more sturdy than an elevated one.

Steve
Old February 21st, 2008, 08:04 PM   #84
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

The first of the 42 trains are comming. Expected to arrive in town by mid March. By April they will start running tests on a 11 km track, part of the future Red Line, that is expected to be operational by September 2009.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
just got these in my mail:

[IMG]http://i32.************/2elduo9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i25.************/2lxdppj.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i32.************/zmmlg5.jpg[/IMG]
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 04:24 AM   #85
tampasteve

Likes (Received): 258

wow, those trains look GREAT

Steve
Old February 22nd, 2008, 04:41 PM   #86
nazrey

Likes (Received): 11231

Quote:
[IMG]http://i32.************/2elduo9.jpg[/IMG]
Congratzz!..
nazrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 07:27 AM   #87
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Were there any renderings of the interiors? Or photos perhaps? I'm curious...

And nice train btw... though I would've preferred one more set of doors on each side of the train...
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 11:49 PM   #88
AltinD
The Modecator

They are posted in the UAE section of the forum. A mock-up train was exposed somewhere in the city.

BTW, as far as the number of doors are concerned, you are judging based on the first picture alone. Take a closer look on the third one as well ... and compare the two.
I can cheat you blind.

Old February 24th, 2008, 01:23 AM   #89
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8795

Is there any particular reason why the train cars only have two doors per unit?

I love the design but I'm not keen on the bright blue colour, looks kinda retro.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #90
AltinD
The Modecator

The trains will run most of the time ABOVE ground in the open so the blue color makes perfect sense.

As for the number of doors, check the 3rd picture. It doesn't seams like that normal carriage has 2 doors only.

Keeping in mind that there will be one Gold Class car and one Women + Children's car with every train, it's logical to think that those cars would be the ones with 2 doors and located in the beginning and the end of the train. The regular (Silver Class) cars have three doors.

Before someone start bullshitting, female passengers are NOT banned from the regular cars, so no couple will be forced to split, but if a female is alone or with a kid and if she would prefer to, she can choose to embark on the women+children's only car, where male passengers will not be allowed.
I can cheat you blind.

Old February 24th, 2008, 04:38 PM   #91
mrtfreak

Likes (Received): 201

I like the blue very much and don't think it looks retro at all. It looks really fresh and sleek.

DTL Construction
TSL Construction
ERL Construction
CCL6 Construction
JRL Construction

Search Google Translate for "Death" in Czech. :lol:
mrtfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 10:56 PM   #92
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
The trains will run most of the time ABOVE ground in the open so the blue color makes perfect sense.

As for the number of doors, check the 3rd picture. It doesn't seams like that normal carriage has 2 doors only.

Keeping in mind that there will be one Gold Class car and one Women + Children's car with every train, it's logical to think that those cars would be the ones with 2 doors and located in the beginning and the end of the train. The regular (Silver Class) cars have three doors.

Before someone start bullshitting, female passengers are NOT banned from the regular cars, so no couple will be forced to split, but if a female is alone or with a kid and if she would prefer to, she can choose to embark on the women+children's only car, where male passengers will not be allowed.
Sorry I just skimmed through =)

I like the blue... at least they have paint throughout the train unlike the Canada Line, where we only have colour on the front of the train:

Quote:

Canada Line Website
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 11:21 PM   #93
Isek

Likes (Received): 1226

Strange configuration for mass transit metro:

window-door-6xwindow-door

most metros have a

window-door-window-window-door-window-window-door-window

or

window-door-window-door-window-door-window-door-window

configuration. it seems that they do not expect much traffic in dubai. otherwise it would get VERY busy at the metro's doors.
Old February 25th, 2008, 05:16 AM   #94
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:

Do you think that this segregation of classes (I'm assuming Gold is 1st and Silver is 2nd) and the provision of different carriages for subsets of the population (women+children carriages) will slow down the boarding/unloading of the trains at the station?

Normally this kind of practice only occurs on distance trains where fast turn over of passengers isn't required.
Old February 25th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #95
AltinD
The Modecator

I don't think it will slow down. The number of people going in and out of the train is the same, plus I think that someone with a kids trolley will embark faster if there are not many people to use the same door.

As for the Gold class, it is neccessary here to atract people who would not use it otherwise.
I can cheat you blind.

Old February 25th, 2008, 01:56 PM   #96
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isek View Post
Strange configuration for mass transit metro:

window-door-6xwindow-door

most metros have a

window-door-window-window-door-window-window-door-window

or

window-door-window-door-window-door-window-door-window

configuration. it seems that they do not expect much traffic in dubai. otherwise it would get VERY busy at the metro's doors.
You didn't read the previous posts.

Only the first and the last carriage have 2 doors, the other ones in the middle of the train have three. Check the car on the left of the 3rd picture and compare it with the one in the 1st picture and you'll notice the difference. You'll see that the configuration on that one is: window-door-window-window-door-window-window-door-window,
I can cheat you blind.

Old February 25th, 2008, 02:54 PM   #97
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
I don't think it will slow down. The number of people going in and out of the train is the same, plus I think that someone with a kids trolley will embark faster if there are not many people to use the same door.

As for the Gold class, it is neccessary here to atract people who would not use it otherwise.
I can understand the appeal of having a first class section to bring in patronage from the more wealthy sections of the city.

I guess as long as the carriage configuration is clearly indicated before train arrival it will mean people congregate in the correct areas for their desired carriage. It just requires some foresight, planning and public education (as well as clear signposts )!

Thanks for answering my questions.
Old February 25th, 2008, 03:28 PM   #98
Budowlaniec
Co ja tutaj robię?!

Likes (Received): 1051

wow it's amazing but a have one questions hom much this all transport plan? how big is all cost?q
Budowlaniec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 05:41 PM   #99
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
I can understand the appeal of having a first class section to bring in patronage from the more wealthy sections of the city.

I guess as long as the carriage configuration is clearly indicated before train arrival it will mean people congregate in the correct areas for their desired carriage. It just requires some foresight, planning and public education (as well as clear signposts )!

Thanks for answering my questions.
All the platforms will be closed and air conditioned, with sliding doors corresponding to the trains doors. Since the Gold Class will be at the beginning of the train, there will be a smart card ticketing and the fairs will be different, I would presume even the waiting area in the stations might be separated, but this is just my wild guess.
I can cheat you blind.

Old February 25th, 2008, 06:09 PM   #100
AltinD
The Modecator

Elevated Station Type 1 (just a few):

[IMG]http://i27.************/24fwc60.jpg[/IMG]

Elevated Station Type 2 (most common):

[IMG]http://i27.************/2qs8cpu.jpg[/IMG]

At grade Station (ground level):

[IMG]http://i25.************/e9ak4o.jpg[/IMG]