daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 30th, 2008, 05:50 PM   #161
sterlinglush

Likes (Received): 5

Does Israel count as the Middle East? If so, there's also the Carmelit funicular subway in Haifa. And don't forget the light rail network in Tunis. Other Middle East metro projects that I know of include Kuwait City, Algiers, and Casablanca, with light rail planned in Constantine, Oran, Rabat, Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, Riyadh, and maybe Manama and Damascus.
sterlinglush no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2008, 10:11 PM   #162
Augusto

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinglush View Post
Does Israel count as the Middle East? If so, there's also the Carmelit funicular subway in Haifa. And don't forget the light rail network in Tunis. Other Middle East metro projects that I know of include Kuwait City, Algiers, and Casablanca, with light rail planned in Constantine, Oran, Rabat, Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, Riyadh, and maybe Manama and Damascus.
Among them, only the Algiers subway is really on the way if you forget about LRT. I thought it was even supposed to open before Dubai's.
Augusto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 10:39 PM   #163
LoverOfDubai

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
It has nothing to do with burqas, you'd be lucky to see any at all on the public transport.
But, Altin, I believe that is how the female-only places started. I was not saying that the reason for the female-only cars are because of the burqas. I know that some places (like beaches and possibly even stores) have female-only days for a reason along the lines of burqas. It is just a cultural way of doing things in the region and this is being implemented into the Dubai Metro.

But please inform me of the true reason for many female-only places in the Gulf. I would be really interested to learn more about it.
LoverOfDubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 11:26 PM   #164
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

How long are the platforms in metres? And is there space for the trains to be extended if demand warrants it?
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 06:27 PM   #165
Sander-
21st century citizen

Likes (Received): 3

Interior is looking good! Are there any good maps around including the whole RTA system with waterways, deira-system, PJ monorail and all planned lines?
Sander- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 09:30 PM   #166
el_norte
global nomad

Calcutta metro has women-only seating in each car... not separate cars like Dubai.
Among the basic freedoms to which men aspire that their lives might be full and uncramped, freedom from fear stands out as both a means and an end. A people who would build a nation in which strong, democratic institutions are firmly established as a guarantee against state-induced power must first learn to liberate their own minds from apathy and fear.
el_norte no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 11:24 PM   #167
LoverOfDubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
How long are the platforms in metres? And is there space for the trains to be extended if demand warrants it?
Would it be easier to increase the frequency of the trains instead of enlarging the trains and stations?
Old June 3rd, 2008, 01:07 AM   #168
iampuking

Of course, but both is better...
Old June 3rd, 2008, 01:15 AM   #169
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

The platforms cannot be extended. They are as long as the trains themself but yeah the frequency of trains can.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 01:19 AM   #170
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_norte View Post
Calcutta metro has women-only seating in each car... not separate cars like Dubai.
Womens are NOT banned from the other cars!

BTW, Dubai's public transport buses have separate women-only seatting on the front of the bus, but if those seats are full the driver will refuse to let more female passangers inside so more and more people are calling for women-only buses to be intruduced on the busiest (bus) lines or at least during rush hours.
I can cheat you blind.

Old June 3rd, 2008, 06:00 PM   #171
iampuking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
The platforms cannot be extended. They are as long as the trains themself but yeah the frequency of trains can.
No what i'm saying are the platforms being built for longer than 5 car trains? For example, the Delhi Metro runs something like 6 car trains on 8 car platforms, the platforms being built with future growth in mind. Is it the same for Dubai?
Old June 3rd, 2008, 07:05 PM   #172
mrtfreak

Likes (Received): 201

4 car trains on 8 car platforms. I think he answered no. The stations are only built to accomodate 5 cars. Extensions will be extremely costly with the platforms having PSDs at all stations.

DTL Construction
TSL Construction
ERL Construction
CCL6 Construction
JRL Construction

Search Google Translate for "Death" in Czech. :lol:
mrtfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 05:07 PM   #173
AltinD
The Modecator

I have seen a 5 car train inside one of the elevated stations. It didn't seams like there were room for a further car there.
I can cheat you blind.

Old July 4th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #174
LoverOfDubai

I posted this (with some minor differences) in the Air-conditioned bus shelters thread, but I thought it would also be good to post it here for the people that like to keep track of public transport in Dubai but do not follow the bus shelter thread.

There are several bus routes in Dubai which come every 10 minutes. I decided to do some reasearch to find out the frequencies for the routes. I went to http://www.rta.ae/wpsv5/links/publictransportpdf.htm to find the following information:

Out of a total 71 routes, only 65 come during the daytime hours from Saturday to Thursday. The other six routes include 5 nightliners (Routes N1, N2, N3, N4, N5) (these operate every day from 10 PM to 5 AM (these come every 30 minutes)) and one route (Route 63) which only operates on Fridays and on holidays (this route comes every 30 minutes also).

Out of the 65 routes that operate during the work week (Saturday to Thursday) and during the day, there are 11 different frequencies (well actually 12 but that is a "wierd" route; I will explain in detail a little later).

2 routes come every 120 minutes (every 2 hours) (Routes 66, 67)
6 routes come every 60 minutes (every hour) (Routes 2, 11C, 11M, 16, 90, 92)
22 routes come every 30 minutes (Routes 6, 6S, 7, 90, 11A, 20, 22, 24C, 26, 27, 31, 34, 41, 42, 44, 63E, 91, 91A, 93, 99, 401, 402)
14 routes come every 20 minutes (Routes 3, 4, 5X, 8, 8A, 9E, 13A, 14, 17, 18, 19, 23, 48, 98E)
2 routes come every 15 minutes (Routes 12X, 330)
9 routes come every 10 minutes (Routes 10, 12, 13, 13F, 13X, 21, X25, O45, X23)

Now, there are other frequencies which are unique. These routes do not come at a constant frequency throughout the day. Sometimes these routes may come every 10 minutes, then change to every 20 minutes, then to every 13 minutes.

1 route comes between 20 and 30 minutes (Route 65)
1 route comes between 15 and 30 minutes (Route 28)
2 routes come between 15 and 20 minutes (Routes 32C, 33)
1 route comes between 10 and 25 minutes (Route 64)
4 routes come between 10 and 15 minutes (Routes 5, 61, C1, C2)

As for the route that I mentioned above which was "wierd" (Route 61D), it only has 3 trips a day: 1 trip in the morning and 2 trips in the afternoon. In case someone cares, the morning and first afternoon trip are separated by 9 hours 30 minutes. The two afternoon trips are separated by 1 hour 10 minutes.

Now, I should note that the routes that have higher frequencies are located in the more urban areas, while the routes that come less frequently go into the outskirts of the city.

I should also remind everyone that the Roads and Transportation Authority announced in April 2008 that by September 2009 most routes will have a frequency of 10 minutes and that many new routes will be implemented. The reason for this includes the delivery of several hundred new public buses and of course the beginning of Dubai Metro (the RTA is hoping that people will take the bus to the nearest Metro station). According to this Gulf News article, there will be 2,500 buses on the road in September 2009, from only 600 in April 2008.

I am sure that the bus network in Dubai will improve by leaps and bounds. Anyone who decided that they will never ride a Dubai Bus, is giving up a great opportunity.
Old July 4th, 2008, 10:08 PM   #175
LoverOfDubai

I should also mention that the fares for the buses in Dubai changed on 1 July. Now, all routes have a fare of Dh 2.00 (0.54 USD; 0.35 EUR; 58.13 JPY). This fare structure does not apply to inter-emirate routes.

There are only four routes which DO NOT follow this fare structure. Route 16 costs Dh 7.00 (1.90 USD; 1.21 EUR; 203.42 JPY); Route O45 is FREE; Route 91 costs Dh 4.50 (1.23 USD; 0.78 EUR; 130.77 JPY); and Route 91A costs Dh 4.50 (1.23 USD; 0.78 EUR; 130.77 JPY).

http://www.rta.ae/wpsv5/links/buses/BusFare.pdf
http://www.rta.ae/wpsv5/links/buses/BusFare_En.pdf
Old July 4th, 2008, 10:42 PM   #176
LoverOfDubai

And here are some images of the buses:

These are NEOPLAN Centroliners that were recently delivered with more on the way:
(Source: http://images.man-mn.com/index.php?e...ab7cc4bfb83baf)
(Source: http://images.man-mn.com/index.php?e...e0b4d5246b8d37)

These are NEOPLAN Centroliner DD; they will begin service soon (there will be 170 of these):
(Source: http://images.man-mn.com/index.php?e...88a56671fedfae)
(Source: http://images.man-mn.com/index.php?e...93270f39f2222c)
Old July 6th, 2008, 01:06 PM   #177
X38

Likes (Received): 22

Why does Dubai need a public transport-system? There's oil enaugh over there.

Last edited by X38; July 6th, 2008 at 11:34 PM.
X38 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 02:23 PM   #178
Minato ku

Because of the pollution.
Old July 6th, 2008, 05:56 PM   #179
Ali_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto View Post
Among them, only the Algiers subway is really on the way if you forget about LRT. I thought it was even supposed to open before Dubai's.
The construction of the rail light network in Rabat is also started...
Ali_B no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 06:03 PM   #180
luv2bebrown

Likes (Received): 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by X38 View Post
Why does Dubai need a paublic transport-system? There's oil enaugh over there.
exactly... i just swim down the nearest oil river to get to work
some people really dont think before they post.
luv2bebrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dubai