daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Ontario

Ontario » Toronto

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 30th, 2006, 02:26 AM   #41
Steeltown

Likes (Received): 143

For Tivoli the redevelopment plan will probably look something like this. A simple new entrance most likely some sort of public art display in the front since it will be home to a ballet academy.

The big transformation will be inside the Tivoli like the auditorium. But hey we will know a lot more next Thursday with the press conference, I'm excited.
Steeltown no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2006, 12:59 PM   #42
Steeltown

Tivoli's 'risen from ashes' in ballet deal

Gary Yokoyama, the Hamilton Spectator
The 'Tiv' has been tentatively sold to the Canadian Ballet Youth Ensemble.

The Spectator has learned an offer by the Canadian Ballet Youth Ensemble has been accepted and will be finalized next week.

"It's risen from the ashes like the phoenix," said Councillor Bob Bratina, who has been involved with the proposal over the past year.

Few details about the project, including who will pay for the massive renovations needed just to stabilize the building, aren't being released until the sale is finalized Sept. 7.

The Tivoli has sat empty on James Street North for nearly two years since it was partially demolished after a wall collapsed. Its owners, the Sniderman family of Sam the Record Man fame, have been criticized for letting the building decay.

The family's lawyer, John Logan, said Sam Sniderman is pleased with the ballet company's plans for the heritage building and priced it accordingly.

"It's being sold for a nominal consideration," said Logan, who declined to identify specifics of the deal.

"Sam is extremely pleased with this development ... He definitely wants to see it restored as a theatre."

Belma Diamonte, president of the Hamilton-based ballet company, said the ensemble has been searching for a permanent home and plans to fully renovate the Tivoli.

"It's a big thing for our organization and I think it's big for arts and culture in general," Diamonte said.

She declined to give more details until a press conference planned for next week.

Bratina said the project, if completed as envisioned, will be comparable to the Art Gallery of Hamilton.

"The final product will be a major cultural asset."

The Tivoli plan fits neatly into a cultural revolution taking place on James Street North. The area has become a mecca of galleries and artist workshops.

Redeveloping the historical theatre is also critical for downtown revitalization, said Bratina.

"The Tivoli is an iconic building. Before we were talking about the Lister Block we were talking about the Tivoli."

The theatre, nicknamed the Tiv, began its life in the 1870s as a carriage factory. The theatre was built back in 1924 and was the first in Hamilton to show talking movies.

The building's fate has been an open question for decades as it fell into disrepair. It was home to Creative Arts Inc. in 2004 when a southern wall collapsed. The front half of the building was demolished. The remains of the theatre were blocked off, adding to the parade of derelict buildings downtown.

If the deal goes through as hoped, it will be a significant boost for the city, said Mayor Larry Di Ianni.

"This is an important corner in our downtown."

Di Ianni plans to abstain from any city votes related to the Tivoli plan because his wife, Janet, sits on the ballet company's board of directors. Di Ianni, who wasn't involved with the deal, said he isn't aware of any request for city funding.

City staff confirmed yesterday there are no outstanding taxes on the building, which has been exempt from taxes for the past five years. The city settled a dispute with the Snidermans last year over an outstanding bill worth more than $500,000 for emergency shoring and demolition costs in 2004.
Old September 1st, 2006, 10:50 PM   #43
Steeltown

Here's the rendering for a new condo in Westdale near McMaster, 9 storey

It's currently under construction.
Old September 2nd, 2006, 06:57 PM   #44
Steeltown

Hamilton Airport (YHM) has called an "important Media Conference for the Hamilton International Airport" for Friday, September 8, 2006, 10:00 - 10:45 a.m. It will be in the Dofasco Dome at the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum. They have hired an event planning company to put this on.

Dofasco Dome

My bet it has something to do with the expansion of the International Terminal. New USA destinition fights I bet.
Old September 5th, 2006, 02:40 AM   #45
hamer town

Likes (Received): 0

Hey All
My guess is either Zoom to the U.K. or Westjet flights to the U.S. there has been talk of both in the past and I have also been to a few of these press confrences in the past and then have never till this date been over dane up just a meeting with the press. Anyway should be good what ever it is.
hamer town no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 02:49 AM   #46
hamer town

Steeltown where did you find out about the press confrence?
Old September 5th, 2006, 03:57 AM   #47
Steeltown

I got the news from another person who is close to the Airport, told me this on Saturday with time and date so probably have to wait until tomorrow after the Holiday to see some kind of mention of an upcoming announcement.

He also told me this is the first time YHM has hired an event planning company to set this announcement up. So it must be something special.

I'm hoping it's Zoom.

Here's the full quote that he said

Hamilton Airport (YHM) has called an "important Media Conference for the Hamilton International Airport" for Friday, September 8, 2006, 10:00 - 10:45 a.m. It will be in the Dofasco Dome at the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum. They have hired an event planning company to put this on.

Personally I believe this has to do with more expansion at the airport. They have already announced the $1.3 m international expansion of the terminal with just a press release and it is on their web site. I have been to the airport for airline announcements before and they where always put on by the airline. They have never hired an event planner to put on a media conference at the airport before, even at the original large terminal expansion that Westjet scuttled.
Old September 5th, 2006, 04:25 AM   #48
hamer town

Ya I have also been to a few press confrences before as well including that one for the great plans they has for the terminal that got thrown out. I guess we have to wait till friday. Do you plan on going?
Old September 6th, 2006, 11:44 PM   #49
Steeltown

Tivoli Plans Will Be Unveiled

HAMILTON - We'll learn more about the planned restoration of a Hamilton landmark on Thursday.

The Canadian Ballet Youth Ensemble has completed its purchase of the historic Tivoli Theatre and will be unveiling its conceptual design for the building.

It will also be launching a five year capital campaign to raise money to pay for the extensive renovations, which will ultimately see the Tivoli developed into a performing arts academy and the ensemble's official home.

The announcement provides a new lease on life for the Tivoli, which has sat empty for two years after a wall collapsed resulting in its partial demolition.
Old September 7th, 2006, 06:29 AM   #50
hamer town

Hey GUys I go this from another web fourm dedicatied to the airline world. Thought I would pass it along

Not sure if this means anything but a co-worker's daughter was called to perform with other Celtic/Scottish style dancers for the press conference.

So maybe a carrier with flights to the maritimes or Scotland/England will be involved in the announcement.

hmmm...
Old September 7th, 2006, 06:33 AM   #51
Steeltown

Hmmm lemme say......

Zoom Zoom lol well I hope so
Old September 7th, 2006, 06:36 AM   #52
Steeltown

I got a better rendering of West Village Condo

From the developer website http://www.dundurngroup.ca/
Old September 7th, 2006, 04:37 PM   #53
markbarbera

A couple of thoughts on current topics:

Tivoli announcement:
I have seen the rendering for the Tivoli posted here by Steeltown before. I think that was a rendering for a proposal once upon a time when YPP was considering a move into the Tivoli. Hopefully the plans to be revealed later today will be a better fit for the neighbourhood, fashoined more like the building that was torn down due to deterioration a couple years back.

When is city council going to get tough on speculators who refuse to maintain their buildings and let them decay so badly. This stretch is notorious for this (Tivoli, Lister, east side of James between York and Cannon). Time to expropriate buildings from neglectful owners who refuse to fix them up!

Airport
Celtic dancers would indicate overseas flights to the UK and Ireland. Zoom does currently fly to Belfast and Glascow out of YYZ. Scheduled international flights for YHM would be a major development for the airport and a fancy press event would be appropriate to mark the occasion. WestJet is also making noise about starting international flights, and they have expressed a passing interest in returning to YHM (their move out a couple years back proved to be a financial mistake for them)

Other blind speculation: CanJet has abandoned scheduled flights to focus on charters as of September 10. The timing of the YHM press event overlaps this date. Will they be basing their central Canada charter operations from YHM? Also, Air Canada has been looking at adding east coast flights lost when CanJet stops their scheduled flights. Celtic dancing fits into east coast culture. Perhaps some Air Canada scheduled flights from Hamilton to St. John's/Halifax are in the offing.

Municipal Election
Eisenberger has announced his entry into the race for mayor. Finally a real race for mayor may shape up. It already is looking to shape up as dirty with suggestions that Eisenberger has already broke the election laws because there is allegedly some website active out there prior to his registration as a candidate (although if it was, it was yanked down fast, I can't find it). Sounds like a quick stunt to attempt to disable any debate about campaign integrity that a serious contender may bring forth.
markbarbera no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 08:23 PM   #54
DC

OMG... the west village Condo is awesome.
Well, the fact that it has it's own Windmill is awesome!!!

This city SERIOUSLY needs to set up a lot more of those.
Along L. Ontario in like the Stoney Creek area... would be perfect!
DC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 12:43 AM   #55
hamer town

I got this off the spec.ca today.

Thursday, September 07, 2006 | Updated at 4:46 PM EDT

Hamilton Airport expected to unveil new airline
Hamilton Spectator

Hamilton is getting a new airline.

Officials of Hamilton International Airport have scheduled a new conference Friday morning at 10 am for a "major announcement ... that will impact air travellers and tourism throughout Southern Ontario."

Sources say it is likely a new airline to operate from the airport.

"We are very pleased to be making this good news announcement for consumers and tourism throughout Southern Ontario," said Richard Koroscil, President and CEO of the John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport. "Our strategy of providing excellent service, easy accessibility and competitive rates has given Hamilton International Airport this great opportunity."

Hamilton airport already has scheduled flights offered by WestJet Airlines and Air Canada to over 92 direct non --stop and 200 connecting flights and 45 destinations a week across Canada and around the world. Tour Operator Transat Holidays and Sunquest offers sunspot winter charter destinations.

Im excited for tomorrow.
Old September 8th, 2006, 03:10 AM   #56
Steeltown

Yea I'm excited about tomorrow! A great week of annoucments too today with Tivoli and now a new airline is coming.

Oh and the rendering of the Tivoli that I saw is basically a replica of the old Tivoli, which is great.
Old September 8th, 2006, 03:53 AM   #57
Steeltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera
It already is looking to shape up as dirty with suggestions that Eisenberger has already broke the election laws because there is allegedly some website active out there prior to his registration as a candidate (although if it was, it was yanked down fast, I can't find it).
The website is www.fredformayor.ca but it's currently just blank
Old September 8th, 2006, 08:12 AM   #58
Steeltown

New airline set to fly out of Hamilton?

Hamilton airport officials have called a news conference for this morning where sources indicate they will make a “major announcement … that will impact air travellers and tourism throughout southern Ontario.”

Sources suggest a new airline is to locate in the city.

Airport president Richard Koroscil said in a news release the announcement will be attended by Hamilton Mayor Larry Di Ianni, members of provincial and federal Parliament “and dozens of business leaders from throughout the area.”

“We are very pleased to be making this good news announcement for consumers and tourism throughout southern Ontario,” he said. “Our strategy of providing excellent service, easy accessibility and competitive rates has given Hamilton international airport this great opportunity.”

Hamilton airport already has scheduled flights offered by WestJet Airlines and Air Canada to more than 92 direct non-stop and 200 connecting flights and 45 destinations a week across Canada and around the world. Tour Operator Transat Holidays and Sunquest offers sunspot winter charter destinations.
Old September 8th, 2006, 08:21 AM   #59
Steeltown

Glass facade planned for Tivoli

The reborn Tivoli will be a mirage.

The Canadian Ballet Youth Ensemble officially unveiled its plan yesterday to transform the dilapidated downtown theatre into a modern day performing arts academy.

The tentative design calls for the surviving auditorium to be restored and attached to a glass building.

A false facade or a digital projection of the old Tivoli will be built inside the glass wall on James Street North.

“(We will) bring the old and new together,” said Belma Diamante, president of the Hamilton-based ballet company.

“The Tivoli’s face is gone, but we want to bring back as much as we can.”

The ensemble bought the theatre, which was partly demolished in 2004 after a wall collapsed, for $1 from the Sniderman family of Sam the Record Man fame. Diamante said the ballet company also issued a $550,000 charitable tax receipt for the value of the property.

Few other specific details about how much the project will cost or where the money will come from were available yesterday.

Diamante would only say the project will cost “millions” and talks are ongoing with donors and financial institutions.

The ballet company is also preparing a capital campaign and has more press conferences scheduled.

Celebrated principal ballerina Evelyn Hart, who recently retired, has accepted a position as artistic adviser for the centre. ProArteDanza, a Torontobased dance company headed by choreographer Roberto Campanella, has also agreed to make the Tivoli its new home.

Diamante said the company will work immediately to preserve what’s left of the theatre and hopes construction will begin in late 2007. The new building could be finished in three to five years, she said.

The conceptual design would be the second proposed transformation for a heritage building on James Street North. The owners of the nearby Lister Block want to tear down the landmark to build an office building with a replicated facade. The plan, which is bitterly opposed by heritage advocates, is up in the air before a provincial stakeholders group.

News of the Tivoli’s promised rebirth is already prompting calls to the city about possible use of surrounding buildings, said Gord Moodie of the downtown renewal office, and who first suggested the Tivoli to Diamante.

The historic theatre was originally a carriage factory in the 1870s. The theatre was built in back in 1924 and was the first in Hamilton to show talking
movies.

Old September 8th, 2006, 05:07 PM   #60
Steeltown

It's Flyglobespan airlines!

www.flyglobespan.com

Starts May 2007

London Glasgow Belfast and I think Cardiff. 3 flights daily.

Tags
stipson