daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 10th, 2006, 12:09 AM   #41
LSyd
Megalomaniac

Likes (Received): 524

no ESB? that's a crock.

-

- gleegieboy
LSyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2006, 12:13 AM   #42
M&M

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaastuShastra
There is better stuff in India than the Taj Mahal - but it always gets chosen as a world wonder for some reason.
The construction of the Taj Mahal was started in 1631, and it continued during 19 years. 20.000 workers built it, and the material of the construction was brought by elephants, camels, buffalos, and other pack animals from Makrana mines, located 300 km away.

The arabesques and cheurones exteriors are Moslem drawings, which rather look like semiprecious stones lodged in the marble, according to a technology imported from Italy, which the craftsmen dominated. These semiprecious stones - jaspers, lapislßzulis, hematies - were incrusted by such a precision that the meetings between these scarcely differ with a lens of increase. A flower, of scarcely seven square centimeters, has 60 inlays or taraceas different, that to the tact look like a smooth surface.

It is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful and perfect works of the history of the architecture. Besides, it was made only because of love... hehehe!
M&M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2006, 12:15 AM   #43
LSyd
Megalomaniac

Egypt's pyramids shouldn't be on this list, they were on the old list.

my pics:

Colosseum
Eiffel Tower
Statue of Liberty
Stonehenge
Easter Island
Great Wall

the rest on this list are crap. well, not really, but not really "wonders" per se like the above 6.

-

- gleegieboy
Old July 10th, 2006, 12:21 AM   #44
M&M

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSyd

my pics:

Colosseum
Eiffel Tower
Statue of Liberty
Stonehenge
Easter Island
Great Wall

the rest on this list are crap. well, not really, but not really "wonders" per se like the above 6.

-
Piramids already are one of the 7 Wonders. But, does it mean they must stop being wonders?? No way, they still are!

Besides... Statue of Liberty??? Eiffel Tower??? You've gotta be kidding!! Those buildings are not as impressive as Great Wall, Piramids or Macchu Picchu!!! The techniques used to build Eiffel Tower and Statue of Lierty are nothing compared to the techniques used in the Taj Mahal, Giza, etc.

If someone can build a Statue of Liberty only with a hammer and nails, THAT WOULD BE A WONDER!!!
Old July 10th, 2006, 12:21 AM   #45
MRichR

Likes (Received): 3

Re:

Empire State Building >>> Eiffel Tower.
Old July 10th, 2006, 12:23 AM   #46
MRichR

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doble_M
Piramids already are one of the 7 Wonders. But, does it mean they must stop being wonders?? No way, they still are!

Besides... Statue of Liberty??? Eiffel Tower??? You've gotta be kidding!! Those buildings are not as impressive as Great Wall, Piramids or Macchu Picchu!!! The techniques used to build Eiffel Tower and Statue of Lierty are nothing compared to the techniques used in the Taj Mahal, Giza, etc.

I could see the Statue of Liberty. It was a symbol of freedom for millions upon millions of immigrants seeking freedom and opportunity in the early 20th century. It's greatness, and wonder, lies more in its symbolic nature than its actual structure.
Old July 10th, 2006, 12:26 AM   #47
crossbowman
^Xpande«^

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSyd

my pics:

Colosseum
Eiffel Tower
Statue of Liberty
Stonehenge
Easter Island
Great Wall

-
You consider statue of liberty a wonder...and the Acropolis or Petra (a whole town of stone) crap?
*cough*...*cough*

[- Reunification of the PARTHENON Marbles -]

Life is FULL of rude awakenings...
crossbowman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2006, 12:47 AM   #48
M&M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRichR
I could see the Statue of Liberty. It was a symbol of freedom for millions upon millions of immigrants seeking freedom and opportunity in the early 20th century. It's greatness, and wonder, lies more in its symbolic nature than its actual structure.
I'm not saying that the Statue Of Liberty isn't great. I'm sure it's wonderful, but it's not as impressive as other buildings!!!
I'm sorry, but the symbolism of freedom and opportunity is not enough to make it one of the 7 wonders. A World Wonder must show the perfection and the power of human civilization. The Statue of Libery has an historical and a cultural meaning, but other buildings also have structural meaning--
Old July 10th, 2006, 12:48 AM   #49
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by duskdawn
LOL. You funny Americans.
41 years is not even a second compared to the history of most candidates.
I didn't know age was a factor.

The person said:
Quote:
It was the tallest building in the world for a few years but many cathedrals have held that title and for me are more innovative and architecturally pleasing.
Holding the record for 41 years is no small feat.

Going back to what you said, ESB is actually 75 years old, making it as old as Christ the Redeemer, older than the Sydney Opera House, and in the grand scheme of things, somewhat close in age to the Statue of Liberty and Eiffel Tower.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2006, 01:15 AM   #50
cjav

Likes (Received): 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy

Going back to what you said, ESB is actually 75 years old, making it as old as Christ the Redeemer, older than the Sydney Opera House, and in the grand scheme of things, somewhat close in age to the Statue of Liberty and Eiffel Tower.

hehe the frame of the statue of liberty and that of the eiffel tower have both been designed by eiffel.
cjav no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2006, 01:35 AM   #51
sanhen
Urban Monk

How about the borobudur? World largest Budhist monument on Earth?

Build around 750-850 CE. Took 30 - 60 years to complete. The overall height of Borobudur was 42 meters, but it is only 34.5 meters now (after restoration), and has the dimension of 123 x 123 meters. The building has 10 floors or levels.

http://www.borobudurpark.com/

Located in Indonesia.

Virtual Tour:
http://www.world-heritage-tour.org/a...r/level_5.html

Last edited by sanhen; July 10th, 2006 at 01:40 AM.
sanhen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2006, 01:36 AM   #52
LSyd
Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjav
hehe the frame of the statue of liberty and that of the eiffel tower have both been designed by eiffel.
that's a wonder. the construction techniques are a wonder. both were innovative.

Empire State Building was built at an extremely fast pace (one year, 45 days) maximizing modern techniques. it was unrivaled for 41 years, and is still iconic/imposing/awe-inspiring/as useful/etc...

Liberty's also thought to be about the same size as the Colossus of Rhodes, one of the 7 original wonders.

something else interesting about the Colossus of Rhodes: it stood only 56 years until it was destroyed by an earthquake.

those bitching about Liberty not being impressive or "41 years" not being long enough seem like they're making those statements because of anti-American sentiment.

a whole town of stone is just that; a town. it's very impressive, not doubt about that, but at the end of the day, it's a bunch of rock.

the Great Wall, while impressive, is just a really long wall that took a long time to build. it didn't even work very well.

Hagia Sophia and Taj Mahal seem worthy to be wonders, they're just not my picks because there are comparable buildings of similar age, although if i had the time and motivation to do more research on them, i might change my mind.

-

- gleegieboy
Old July 10th, 2006, 02:14 AM   #53
crossbowman
^Xpande«^

i don't agree with you but...hey, you can have your opinion.Respected!

[- Reunification of the PARTHENON Marbles -]

Life is FULL of rude awakenings...
crossbowman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 03:47 AM   #54
Paulo2004
Luso from Aveiro

Likes (Received): 57

For the best photos or information on Portugal, visit the PORTUGUESE FORUM.
Paulo2004 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 04:13 AM   #55
PedroGabriel
BANNED

with the Americans voting on their Statue of liberty and the English on Stonehenge we will have one of the most ridiculous moments in history if this event is seen as a big event. Cause despite their importance, the statue of Liberty is just a statue, like thousands of others, and Stonehenge is just rocks, with the due respect to the builders. I guess these two will be on the list, because that public will be the ones who will most vote.

The seven wonders are what they are and can not be changed, we are left with the pyramids and that's it, new world wonders is a very diffult task, but only a group of international experts can figure out which monuments are wonders.
PedroGabriel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 05:03 AM   #56
megatower
BANNED

Likes (Received): 34

i thought PALM JUMEIRAH was the 7 wonder of the world
megatower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 08:46 AM   #57
Jax419
Forša Barša

Likes (Received): 7

The Sydney opera house, the The Eiffel Tower and the Statue of Liberty are jokes compared to the rest of the ones on the top #21...and wtf? ESB....that is the dumbest thing i've ever heard..
Jax419 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 09:15 PM   #58
Liz L

Likes (Received): 0

A lot of interesting thoughts here...

"Wonder" can be such a broad word that I think we do need several categories of Wonders, with requirements for each one defined...

But we also need to make sure that we keep the number of categories low enough, and the bar high enough in each category, that we don't make the concept trivial...

How about categories of Wonders for different time periods or major civiliations? Or perhaps 7 wonders for each continent?

I agree that there should be separate lists for natural and man-made wonders.

I also agree that things like time and manpower required, along with technological innovations involved, should definitely be among the requirements.

Symbolism and appearance should also factor in, though this is more subjective...

And finally, requirements might change from category to category...
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:49 PM   #59
MuddyZehbra32
You've got a friend in PA

Likes (Received): 0

oh no, anything but the sydney opera house...
MuddyZehbra32 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 12:25 AM   #60
Metropolitan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax419 View Post
The Sydney opera house, the The Eiffel Tower and the Statue of Liberty are jokes compared to the rest of the ones on the top #21...and wtf? ESB....that is the dumbest thing i've ever heard..
Could you explain me how the Eiffel Tower is a joke ? Honnestly, I'm amazed by people who can't realize the Engineering challenge it was to build such a tower during the 19th century. The Eiffel tower was twice taller than anything built by humans before. It is the first supertall structure ever and, even if I know this is subjective, certainly among the prettiest ever made.

Personally, I would be really sad if the Eiffel tower, symbol of both the western world and the industrial age, wasn't in the Top 7... but anyway, we'll see.
Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote