daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General discussions > Photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 4th, 2006, 06:06 PM   #1
mlm
Member #109

Likes (Received): 86

400 m above Herning

Finally I managed to arrange a flight over Herning, as I've been wanting to do for a long time. The plane was a Reims Aviation F 172 H, and unfortunately only the window in the pilots side could open. So all photos are taken through the windows from the back seat.The altitude was around 400 m above ground. We flew from "Herning Flyveplads" which is a small airport outside Herning. It is mostly used for private flights.

First we have the plane:

Ready to take-off. The pilot is the father to a friend of mine:

First we have the 2 suburbs of Gjellerup and Hammerum, which has now officially been added to Herning (+ 2 other suburbs). The population is now around 44.000 in the city (Around 29500 before this "merger"). In the distance we see the neighboring town of Ikast, which has some 15-20.000 inhabitants:

Looking the exact opposite direction we see Herning:

"Birk" between the previous mentioned suburbs and Herning. This is where the 2 new Staven Holl buildings will be build and it is now home to a few museums, TEKO (Design School) and HIH (Business/engineering school). Here you also find the "ELIA" sculpture, which is said to be the largest sculpture in Northern Europe. True or not I don't know, but big it is..:

Here we have the eastern part of "Central Herning":

More central part, at the bottom you can see the railstation:

And a bit futher west, still central/west of Herning:

Mast in the western part of Herning. It's around 150 m tall:

Moving a bit north, here we see the artificial "Fulgsnag Sø" lake. To the left we have a small part of the suburb Tjørring, which are also officially a part of Herning:

"Herning Stadion". FC Midtjylland played here for half a season before they moved to Ikast Stadion, and later on to the brand new SAS Arena (which you'll see later). Now it's mostly used for athletics:

Here the Århus - Herning motorway reaches Herning:

New motorway intersection southeast of Herning. Here the Århus-Herning motorway cross the yet to be opend Herning-Vejle motorway. Opening day will be October 7th 2006:

Larger view of Herning again (looking west):

Another new artificial lake, the "Knudmose Søen". It will have a beach, but it'll also be used for motorsports:

Flying a bit west again we have the SAS Arena. Opened in 2004 and home to the local football team FC Midtjylland. The capacity is 11.809:

SAS Arena is located just next to "Messecenter Herning", among the largest exhibition centers in Northern Europe:

Similar view from higher angle with Herning in the background:

Another suburb, here we have Snejbjerg, which are now also part of Herning. This is where I spend my teenage years:

Snejbjerg in front, Tjørring to the upper left and Herning to the upper right:

Where I lived from age ~10-20. House 4 from the top in the left row.

Back over central Herning again. In the middle we have "Dalgashus" which is a rather new shoppingcenter/residential project/parking garage. JUst behind it we have the so called "Small Wall Street" which has become the banking area of Herning. 2 new five storey buildings (bank of course) are currently being build:

A bit futher east, here we can see the Railway station at the top (not the best looking building in the world), and the 10 storey Scandic hotel next to it:

East of Herning again, here we have Herning Højskole (2nd tallest building in Herning);

It is located just next to the new motorway. On the other side of it there's a 15.000 m2 BAUHAUS going up:

A few 100 meters to the west again, here we have the Herning Center shopping mall, residentials behind it, and futher back Herning Golf Course. The golf course is supposed to move, and the area could become a new big development zone:

Closer look at the new expansion of the Herning Center. It will have 20 new shops, making the total 60:

Back in over Herning, here we have Herning Kongrescenter. Mostly used for congresses, concerts, opera and stuff like that. Notice the small "louvre'ish" glass pyramid in front of it, it's the entrance to an underground restaurant:

This is (hopefully) the site for the new tallest in Herning. A 20 storey tower are proposed here, along with a big DGI Center (water/health center), new hotel and other things. The highrise itself are supposed to be next to the small roundabout:

Herning Kirke, from 1889. This is just in front of the main square of Herning (which I missed):

The Dalgashus again:

The current tallest, the 47 m tall Codanhus. I live in the building just behind (where you see a reflection):

Same but higher:

Flying north of Herning, we see the Tjørring suburb. The new building is and expansion of a handicap center:

Tjørring in front, Herning in the back:

That's it for now.

Last edited by mlm; July 5th, 2006 at 03:20 AM.
mlm no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 4th, 2006, 06:53 PM   #2
FREKI
Pip pip pip boom..

Likes (Received): 2319

Great pics!

It seems a lot is going on in the area, and most of the city seems fairly new...
Old July 4th, 2006, 07:00 PM   #3
staff
囧!

Likes (Received): 481

Very cool.

The small blue train-like thing on the down-right in this photo, what is that? Looks like a LRT train?
Old July 4th, 2006, 07:06 PM   #4
AtlanticaC5
Right Here, Right Now

Likes (Received): 6

Awesome thread, I love aerial pics, thanks for showing! I like FCM's new arena, looks quite small but the atmosphere must be great since it's dedicated to football only (quite rare here sadly). Playing football on athletic stadiums isn't good for the crowd atmosphere.
Old July 4th, 2006, 07:09 PM   #5
mlm
Member #109

@ Staff:

Those are the fairly new Arriva trains. Arriva operate on some of the lines here in Jutland. Photos of the trains here at the Arriva Tog website.
Old July 4th, 2006, 07:24 PM   #6
staff
囧!

Likes (Received): 481

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlm
@ Staff:

Those are the fairly new Arriva trains. Arriva operate on some of the lines here in Jutland. Photos of the trains here at the Arriva Tog website.
Damn nice train sets. Malmö must have the oldest and ugliest looking trains in the western world.
Old July 4th, 2006, 07:34 PM   #7
Moolio
Nihongo Luvr

Thanks for the pics! I have to say I didn't until now have a very clear image as to how Herning looks like, but I must say it seems a very pretty and well preserved town.
Old July 4th, 2006, 08:32 PM   #8
Comanche
In the brig

Likes (Received): 0

Nice town and very good photos.

What is that black thing?

Last edited by Comanche; July 4th, 2006 at 08:37 PM.
Comanche no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2006, 08:40 PM   #9
DenverDane

Likes (Received): 4

That's the ELIA. To quote mlm, "Here you also find the "ELIA" sculpture, which is said to be the largest sculpture in Northern Europe."
DenverDane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2006, 08:46 PM   #10
DenverDane

Likes (Received): 4

Nice photos, mlm! It must have been quite an experience to fly so low over the city. I wish I could do that over Copenhagen, but I guess I'll have to do with MS Flight Simulator.....
DenverDane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2006, 09:04 PM   #11
Comanche
In the brig

oh sorry i did´t read that. It looks weird for a sculpture. Can you go inside it?
Comanche no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2006, 09:08 PM   #12
kenny_in_blue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

hi mlm, i scrolled down your photos and discovered one perfect spot for a highrise.

the round circle green area would be perfect wouldnt it? creating a mini highrise cluster for Herning visible atleast a couple kilometers away. gving the town a distinct look.
kenny_in_blue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2006, 09:34 PM   #13
mlm
Member #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche
oh sorry i did´t read that. It looks weird for a sculpture. Can you go inside it?
It is indeed a weird sculpture. People seem to either love it or hate it. And no, you can not go into it, but there a huge hole (10x10 m) at the top where you can look into it. It's quite huge inside, since the hole goes below ground level. It's supposed to make a big flame once in a while, but I've never seen it myself yet. The top of the 4 "towers" are 32 m above ground level, and the price was some 22 mio dkr if I remember correctly. There's a lot more info on "it's" website: Elia.dk

And here an older photo of mine. Don't be fooled be the "normal looking" steps, they're quite big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny_in_blue
hi mlm, i scrolled down your photos and discovered one perfect spot for a highrise. the round circle green area would be perfect wouldnt it? creating a mini highrise cluster for Herning visible atleast a couple kilometers away. gving the town a distinct look.
Hehe, I would be happy with highrises most places in the central part of Herning. That round green thing is an old market square, but it's not really used for anything anymore. Actually when I think about it, I would prefere to keep the few green areas there are in the central part, and instead replace older buildings with new and taller ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverDane
It must have been quite an experience to fly so low over the city. I wish I could do that over Copenhagen, but I guess I'll have to do with MS Flight Simulator.....
It surely was a great experience. Very funny to see a place you know that well from a completely different angle. Actually around 400 m is the only height you can fly over Herning, since you need to be atleast 300 m over the ground and you can't go higher than 500 m because of the nearby Karup Airport (not without special permission atleast).

It would be fantastic with a flight low over Cph, not sure if there's a lot of restrictions. The 300 m rule also apply over Århus, so there it's possible too.
Old July 4th, 2006, 10:21 PM   #14
mlm
Member #109

A few more from the area close to Elia (the Århus-Herning motorway is quite close to Elia):

A small note on the power plant in the left side of the phote, Herningværket. It uses 55% woodchips and 45% natural gas. Yearly 200.000 tons of woodchips are used:

Last edited by mlm; July 4th, 2006 at 10:36 PM.
Old July 4th, 2006, 10:29 PM   #15
FREKI
Pip pip pip boom..

Likes (Received): 2319

My God that Elia is ugly!
Old July 4th, 2006, 10:40 PM   #16
mlm
Member #109

/\ Haha you're surely not the only one with that opinion. Many people refers to it as an upside down Weber Grill.

At first I didn't really like it either but now I find it pretty cool. Sitting on it in the evening and watching Herning with the sunset behind can be quite nice.
Old July 4th, 2006, 11:09 PM   #17
sc4ish
BANNED

i love the suburban look of Herning!
sc4ish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2006, 06:21 AM   #18
Sideshow_Bob
\m/

Great aerials! Herning isn't big but still very interresting!
Old July 6th, 2006, 09:15 AM   #19
Vaidas

Likes (Received): 112

Great thread! Herning sure looks very nice from above
Vaidas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 09:25 AM   #20
kjetilab
YIMBYer.no

Likes (Received): 188

Everything is so...flat.. Nice pics mlm.
kjetilab no está en línea   Reply With Quote