daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Retroceder   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Middle East > Local Forums > Qatar > Doha Projects and Beyond

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Respuesta

Herramientas
Antiguo 06-07-2006, 22:10:37   #1
Skoulikimou
Brief State of Euphoria

Likes (Received): 4

DOHA MASTER PLAN

Doha Master Plan

The capital Doha - situated directly at the Persian Gulf on the eastern border of the peninsula of the state Qatar - is one the fastest growing cities of the world. To study future expansion prospects of the city the Urban Planning & Development Authority of the city has selected and invited seven international offices to a competition called „Greater Doha Master Plan - Area One“ in the summer 2005. Like all modern coastal cities of the world Doha is dominated by the magic of the water and gradually starts to explore possibilities to open up the urban structure to the sea. The image of the concentric radiating pattern of the classical Arabesque, an ornamentic which has its origin in the Islamic art, is the basic idea for the future urban concept and development. Starting from the Corniche, a circular bay in the heart of the city, the astral formation will expand into the urban city fabric. Astral desert streams will generate fresh air corridors and define the image of the city in the desert. The spacious Morning Star Canal will provide the inner city ring with the beneficial water. The outer plots of the arabesque will form a technology belt comprising commercial and industrial areas as well as future research facilities. Through extensive afforestation a parklike surrounding will enclose and subdivide this for the future of Doha significant area.

client: UPDA Urban Planning and Development Authority
planning area: urban city context
planning: Oct. - Dec. 2005

Site Plan

Land use Plan

Central Square

Eastern Coast

Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)
Skoulikimou no está en línea   Responder Con Cita

Sponsored Links

Antiguo 07-07-2006, 10:04:01   #2
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

cool whene will that happen ?????
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea   Responder Con Cita
Antiguo 07-07-2006, 23:47:22   #3
letsgoworld

Likes (Received): 1

This will be built ????... when ???
letsgoworld no está en línea   Responder Con Cita
Antiguo 08-07-2006, 12:02:55   #4
Halawala
Fairouzy

Likes (Received): 182

Thanks for the thread. I dont think this is a very good idea; and the maps looks unprofessional to me. But the central square looks to me like the place of the current Doha Airport. The Eastern Coast is Losail. But what are the rivers or body of water in the first map?
Antiguo 10-07-2006, 15:30:48   #5
salman515
Smile :)

Likes (Received): 168

so anyone has news about the master plan ?
i see the airport area will be compeletly changed
salman515 no está en línea   Responder Con Cita
Antiguo 10-07-2006, 16:43:59   #6
salman515
Smile :)

Likes (Received): 168

i found these two pictures

salman515 no está en línea   Responder Con Cita
Antiguo 10-07-2006, 17:40:31   #7
Halawala
Fairouzy

Nice Pics Salman!
Antiguo 10-07-2006, 18:30:07   #8
safqa_tijariya
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Wonderful!
safqa_tijariya no está en línea   Responder Con Cita
Antiguo 10-07-2006, 20:19:36   #9
Qatar4Ever

This is old news. Basically what is going on, Qatar has commissioned some of the leading names in architecture and some leading urban planning firms to put forth proposals on a grand master scheme for Doha. Once Ashgal picks one of the plans it will go forth and execute it in the coming decade or so.

Basically they are thinking off turning the whole area between C-ring all through the Cornish into one major down-town with high, mid and other commerical areas.

These are just some of the proposals.

Regardless as you can see from the pic I think the airport, new one, isnt positioned in the best of places. They take up much of the beach front which could have been put in better use in the next decade or so. Typical qatari planning, plus the port needs to be moved ASAP. Taking up to much precious area.
Qatar4Ever no está en línea   Responder Con Cita
Antiguo 11-07-2006, 12:06:26   #10
Halawala
Fairouzy

Qatari4Ever, the Port will be built on a reclaimed island (ironically enought) East of the Doha Airport, so that the whole zone (including the airport and port) will be one giant logistics zone. I think the port will be built in the middle of the ocean since the water depth is deeper there.
Antiguo 21-07-2006, 07:55:12   #11
Khanrak
SECULARISM

Likes (Received): 105

I'd to see Doha develop into an elegant city much in the same way that Beirut had been doing until the Israelis came in and unjustly destroyed the infrastructure

Why do states that enforce Sharia always end up as the world's most repressive states?
Khanrak no está en línea   Responder Con Cita
Antiguo 21-07-2006, 13:55:22   #12
wakrah-wi-bas
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

beirut was an elegant city? says who? apparently maybe by someone who never been to areas like al-kola & al-musaitibah.

so, i'd appreciate if you'd keep your wishes to yourself, because we're capable of turning doha into a better city away from beirut as an example. thank you very much.
wakrah-wi-bas no está en línea   Responder Con Cita
Antiguo 03-08-2006, 12:07:48   #13
suzan
Que puedo decir?

Likes (Received): 1

is this true?
suzan no está en línea   Responder Con Cita
Antiguo 06-08-2006, 05:06:47   #14
omarmakki
SSC's biggest 722 fan

Guys... Is there a key for these maps?
Just looking at the maps, I have no idea what the colors represent!

SSC Thread
My Blog

Última edición por omarmakki fecha: 06-08-2006 a las 13:06:02
omarmakki no está en línea   Responder Con Cita
Antiguo 06-08-2006, 06:46:39   #15
Kappa21
In the brig

Likes (Received): 921

Does Qatar happen to have a free trade zone?

Personally, i like this, but with Dubai and Kuwait City rising up...how would Doha compete...
it looks really nice

maybe i should visit it one day...
is Banking and commodity exchange prime in Qatar like it is in Bahrain?
Kappa21 no está en línea   Responder Con Cita
Antiguo 06-08-2006, 10:59:12   #16
omarmakki
SSC's biggest 722 fan

I believe Doha is booming more than Kuwait. Check Cities list in this page http://www.skyscraperpage.com/cities/?RME out and you will find Doha in a much higher ranking than Kuwait.

...And if you go to this top 100 list here http://www.skyscraperpage.com/cities/ you won't even find Kuwait...

I hope no Kuwaiti member gets offended. I am just showing you my sources...

SSC Thread
My Blog
omarmakki no está en línea   Responder Con Cita
Antiguo 06-08-2006, 12:54:15   #17
wakrah-wi-bas
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

somehow, i don't think doha is competing with dubai, we have a long way to go.
call me unrealistic, but i believe that the urban development race with dubai is been witnessed by kuwait city & , believe it or not, abu dhabi, & then doha.
wakrah-wi-bas no está en línea   Responder Con Cita
Antiguo 07-08-2006, 00:49:01   #18
Halawala
Fairouzy

Qatar doesnt have any free zones, but will in the near future.

Doha has huge ambitions and can compete with other regional cities like Dubai and Bahrain.
Antiguo 07-08-2006, 03:29:30   #19
B-Patriot

Likes (Received): 3

Bahrain is technically a country...

Better yet, a kingdom ... hehe
B-Patriot no está en línea   Responder Con Cita
Antiguo 08-08-2006, 01:59:35   #20
Massilia
Qatar forums

Likes (Received): 5

Enjazat Qatar attracts huge crowd

Posted on: Thursday, June 29, 2006 ; 15:41 IST

Doha: The first ever multi-sector exhibition to be held in Qatar – Enjazat Qatar – has attracted some 3,000 visitors at the Qatar International Exhibition Centre (QIEC) to date, consisting mostly of businessmen and decision-makers, according to the Exhibition Manager.

The exhibition is being sponsored by Dar Al Sharq Printing, Publishing and Distribution, Aljazeera Network, Qatar Today, New Doha International Airport and Energy City Qatar.

"We are expecting more visitors leading up to the closing today. In addition, the participants have expressed the wish to make it an annual event and next year we are planning to almost double the size of the exhibition area which at present covers 10,000sqm,” said Mohammad Gouda of Qatar Group, the organisers of the event.

Gouda noted that the exhibition was intended to display the achievements and future plans of institutions and companies in various sectors in the country rather than contracting deals.

Visitors looking at the scale model of 'Area 1' at the UPDA stand. (SALIM MATRAMKOT)

"This exhibition is also aimed at creating some competition among the sectors. It was important to display their achievements, especially at this particular time when Qatar is witnessing economical, industrial and educational boom,” he said.

The centre piece of the display is the massive scale model of what Doha will look like in the new future as per the Greater Doha Master Plan featured at the Urban Planning and Development Authority (UPDA), which is overseeing and directing the master plan.

The impressive physical models of the structure and 3D computer simulation models highlight the concept plan for Area 1 which consists of the land area of Doha (D Ring Road to the Corniche) including West Bay.

Doha and West Bay were designated priority areas due to the tremendous amount of development that has taken place in the area in the last few years.

The UPDA originally solicited 55 international planning consulting firms to compete for the master plan of which 13 submitted Qualification Statements, 8 were selected and asked to submit proposals for the Area 1 Concept Plan.

One of the proposals, include a Bay Bridge connections to the airport, an inner Ring Road with an underground tunnel and a proposed secondary grid system for new roads. Public transportation improvements include a new tram system.

Proposals for Inner Doha include a major waterfront park at the edge of Grand Hamad Street and improvements to make Grand Hamad Plaza a new shopping centre.
Massilia no está en línea   Responder Con Cita

Respuesta

Herramientas

Normas de Publicación